• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer Pilgrim- Equipment/Kit/Footwear/Camping - SJPP 4 July

Switt_Ers

Hi,

I have scoured this Forum for useful information, as well as a few other websites with both positive and negative feedback. I fly into Biarritz on 3 July and will start the Camino Frances from SJPP on 4 July. I have not prepared physically for this 30+ day walk but as I play 11aside and 5aside football regularly, I should be fine (sore joints and potential injuries notwithstanding).

I have purchased appropriate base layers - wicking, quick-dry, light weight etc. So socks, underwear and t-shirts are taken care of. However, I still have a few outstanding issues. I am hoping a few experienced Pilgrims will be able to offer me some prompt advice before my impending departure, please?! :)

1. Footwear.
I would love to buy a nice pair of sturdy, durable and long lasting leather hiking boots like the Meindl Borneo Pro MFS. But from everything I've read thus far, these boots would seem unsuitable for the Camino Frances, especially in July/August. Plus, I have little time to break them in before commencing my journey. So... what should I wear then?
- Trail runners? People have recommended them. I saw a pair of Salomon X-Over and these seemed pretty good, suitable for both hard terrain and off road. They seemed breathable (no gortex) and durable. But they cost £100.
- Approach shoes? Some people recommend them. I saw a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes. They looked like they had good grip (Vibram), and were lighter than a pair of boots and without goretex, seemed breathable. Still, I wore a pair of so-called rugged approach shoes (Merrell) whilst hiking in Patagonia a few years ago and within a month, the soles of one shoe had come off. So ever since, I've been loathe to buy a pair of approach shoes and would rather have a long-lasting pair of leather hiking boots (3-4 seasons).
- Sandals? Well, I'll pass on sandals just because I don't have much experience in them and don't want to risk relying on them.

So after all this, I'm wondering whether my current pair of running shoes would be fine for the Camino Frances. This way I can save money and wait until I get back before purchasing a pair of leather hiking boots. My running shoes are: Nike Zoom Red Rocks IIhttp://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...LaT7ilB4fI8gPE0fn3AQ&ved=0CKcBEPUBMAI&dur=614. Can anyone please view the image or google them and let me know if they think these will be fine for me, please? I have strong ankles as I've hiked in Patagonia, the Tatras, etc without ever wearing mid/high ankled footwear.

2. Camping
I would really like to mix sleeping in Albergues with sleeping under the stars on particularly clear nights. This would help me maintain a tight budget and mean I won't have to rush all the time to try and secure a bed in the peak summer season. The main issue is that I am using a Lowe Alpine Airzone 35 litre backpack which doesn't have that much capacity - certainly not relative to Ospreys of a comparable litre capacity - and doesn't have attachments on its back to carry a sleeping mat, for instance. I'm sure I could improvise with a piece of rope or some other kind of tying device but added to that is the question of whether it's worth forking out for a compact, lightweight sleeping bag that could fit into my backpack. For example, the Lifeventure Sleeplight 1100 sleeping bag. If I'm not likely to sleep out much then I'd rather just carry a sleeping bag liner as it's much more compact and less heavy. But if I can sleep out even a third of the time I'm on the Camino, then I'd like to take a sleeping bag with me. Any advice, please? Is it really unlikely I'll be sleeping under the stars? Am I being overly romantic?

3. Outer layers
I need to buy a pair of hiking shorts and/or trousers. Is it definitely necessary to have a pair of long sleeve trousers? For the sake of saving money, I was going to just bring a pair of cotton shorts for the evening and just wear a pair of Barcelona football shorts whilst hiking - they're very lightweight, dry-fit and pretty perfect for hiking (minus pockets).
So question is: do I definitely need a long pair of trousers for the evenings? Are there lots of mosquitos in the summer along the Camino Frances?

I don't have a jacket. If I need one, I've been thinking of getting a lightweight softshell jacket which is fairly windproof and water resistant (rather than a full waterproof jacket for better breathability). Again, the issue is expense. Is it a necessity to bring some kind of jacket in July/August? Or can I just get by with a warm sweater/jumper? I don't mind getting wet so much whilst hiking as long as when I stop, I have shelter and can dry off. I have a cycling waterproof jacket but it's not breathable and it may not pack down so tight. Any advice from all you experience pilgrims, please?? I'm also deliberating on whether to bring a Golite Chrome Dome umbrella to block the sun and rain.

4. Other bits and pieces.
I've got the Brierly guidebook. I still need to get a couple of water bottles. I would like insulated water bottles but there would be no point if the water along the Camino is lukewarm anyway. Any advice? Also, these Sig bottles - are they safe now? I looked at a Camelback but not sure how well this would work in my backpack. Any ideas? I don't think I'm going to bring a torch or compass as everything is so well sign posted apparently... am I wrong?

5. Glasses/Sunglasses
I wear prescription glasses and also wear daily contact lenses for sports, etc. I do not own a pair of sunglasses, having broken my pair of Mormaii hiking in the Tatras as it happens a few years ago. I would like to just wear glasses this time, and just bring some contacts just in case or maybe in the evening for some flexibility. But in terms of sunglasses, firstly, are they essential or more of an optional item - bearing in mind I will be starting from SJPP on 4 July. If they are essential, is it worth buying a pair of prescription sunglasses or would a normal (and cheaper) pair of sunglasses suffice? The only issue then being that I'd have to wear contacts whilst hiking. Any advice from prescription glasses wearers would be fantastic.

6. Pyrenees
Because of some negative reports I've read, and because I do enjoy the solitude and sense of wonder when walking in the mountains, surrounded by natural beauty and clean fresh air, I do wonder whether the Camino de Santiago is really the walk I'm looking for. I am still determined to start the Camino and judge for myself. But at the same time, if I'm really not enjoying the Camino, then I'm considering a Plan B which would be to hike the Pyrenees. This brings me back full circle to the issue of footwear. My Nike Zoom Red Rocks II may not get me very far in the Pyrenees for an extended period. So......... do I need to get hiking boots for example just in case I do change from the Camino Frances to hiking the Pyrenees?

I've asked a lot of questions. I appreciate that not all of them are novel. However, I felt impelled to ask myself on the forum because I was getting dizzy and confused by all the conflicting reports on what to wear, what to bring, etc. Footwear in particular seems to be a personal matter. So please do reply to my questions if you see them. I would very much appreciate it and if we meet along the Way, then I would do my utmost to show my gratitude. Thank you kindly!!!

Switters.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Switters!

Don't overthink things! The worst that can happen to you in July is probably dehydration or sunburn, so make sure you have the obvious remedies. I've used a Camelbak-type water bag, which I would recommend just for ease of access while walking.

For footwear you don't need heavy leather boots - lighter ones will be fine and easier to break in. As you say, it's each to their own on that subject. Sandals are good for the evening.

I reckon a light rain jacket should do you unless you're very unlucky. Last May I just had some kind of cycling jacket and it was fine. We'd all love the state of the art gear, but it's really not necessary except perhaps in winter.

Clothes generally should be quick drying where possible. No heavy cottons, although I've not had a problem with normal t-shirts etc.

There are other recent postings on camping, so just search on them.

Buen Camino!

1. If you are happy in your running shoes go ahead, but just because you don't get blisters running doesn't mean you wont walking so break them in a bit

3. I bring my running shorts (100 gram) a short skirt for warm days & then cotton long pants (300g) for most times I suppose, they are just a pair that hung in my closet for years. If I were a guy i would bring just shorts and the thin pants and maybe loose boxers for sleeping

I walked last year early July and hadn't any long pants which were fine mostly, but some days were fairly cold (15-18 and windy). Nights can get chilly too especially after being in the sun all day.

That being said I did just today consider exchanging my pants for capri, but decided not to

For jacket I have my running jacket (fairly windproof and lightweight) and a thin woolen pullover found in my closet about 350g total and then a poncho (which I also have considered leaving at home but decided bringing)

4. I wouldn't bother bringing special water bottelse (extra weight) am just reusing the plastic ones I buy water in (not cold I know but not really an issue I think)

5. you are going west your cap will do fine as shade

6. I would never pay money for leather hiking boots no matter where I was walking, but then that is just me...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
if being on your own in rugged nature is your thing, then doing the CF, particularly in the middle of summer when it's most crowded, might not be the best idea. Why not choose one of the more rustic/less traveled hikes that will allow you more solo time and more rugged nature time while still allowing you to walk a Camino?

Wow! Thank you tyrrek, Pieces and vagabondette for replying and giving me some good advice.

tyrrek - Yes, you're right. I should not over-think things. Looking back on what I wrote, I realised I was worrying too much. I wanted to make sure I was prepared for all eventualities. Now, I will relax a bit and just get the bare essentials and see how the Camino goes with an open mind. I will have a look at a Camelback option once I have my bag packed and see how it would fit.

Pieces - Are you going on the Camino again this year? Or are you on it as we speak? Your thoughts in particular made me feel more relaxed about just going with the flow and I'll look at a few water bottle options but I'll not fret if I don't find one before I go on the Camino. I can always just reuse standard plastic bottles like you. I will bring a pair of trousers of some description... this might be the one area where I will make a calculated purchase (3 season use would be good).

vagabondette - Yes, I may go ahead with your advice by amalgamating a couple of the routes if the need arises - I have time on my side. I am a very social person so sometimes, especially when I am in the mountains, I enjoy hiking in solitude. The Camino is probably not comparable to hiking in the mountains. But I am still drawn to it and as such, I will walk the Camino with my 'eyes wide open'. As for which route, I will look at a few of the more rustic ones, but unless one really grips my imagination, I will start on the Camino Frances from SJPP as planned. I appreciate your advice though.

In sum, I've decided to go ahead and walk with my existing running shoes. I will bring a pair of flip flops for evenings/showers. I will probably bring a lightweight compact sleeping bag and a sleeping mat so that I can have some flexibility over sleeping arrangements. But I will assess everything once I have the essentials packed and then see how much everything weighs - the lighter the better. Ultimately, I will relax now and know that whatever I bring, I will be fine.

Thanks folks - very much appreciated. I will write back whenever I finish the Camino.

Switters.

Hi Switt_ers ,

This walk is no big deal mate
You will have 70 year old people on the camino with you and they will reach the end , believe me.
Some will have starred in Geneva , or Le Puy or Lourdes.
They will be taking their time , enjoying the scenery/culture/ and their thoughts on their loved ones.
A german army man sent home his $$$ boots and ended up in volley runners. This was in 2007.
We were in Mazariffe when he did this and a happier man you could not find.
He walked 30 km plus a day to Muxia.
** You will bring the flip flops , VIP
There are no corporates on the camino so no long pants are required
**All the football in the world will not help you.
What are we doing 3 hrs a night/day twice a week *********** with nothing on your back, and no up hill on rocky roads............8hrs a day each day day.
Thats only 8 hrs and now you front up the next day .....and the next day.... and the next day
Do you wish to enjoy the history of Leon etc as you walk?
The reason i ask is that too many people allow a certain time ,Switt_-ers ...DON"T.

Thats the negative part , now the positive part
Just do it and see what happens
When you finish you be the judge and let us know.
Switt_ers , you will know when you get home if you achieved what you set out to do.
You will not be alone on the way, enjoy it , it's something that will alter your life.....please believe me.
Buen Camino,
David

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Switt_Ers said:
In sum, I've decided to go ahead and walk with my existing running shoes.

Switters.
How old are they?
Are they going to last 800 km?

Buen camino!
annie

Thanks David for your comments. I was going to bring long pants for warmth in the evenings just in case but also for protection against the Sun (if I'm getting burnt), mosquitos, etc. So not for any 'corporate' reasons - I'm not even sure I understand that reference. I mean, I won't be wearing a suit and tie?! Although, perhaps I should... would I be the first? :) No, just kidding. I imagine I'll be wearing shorts most of the day whilst walking. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that people of all ages manage to make the full journey fairly intact. As for football... surely any training helps? But, ok, I get your point. Nothing matches walking everyday with a backpack for a prolonged period in hot and variable conditions. So, it'll be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Annie - I don't know if my running shoes will last 800 km! :) I've never walked that long for consecutive days. They are about a year old but they're in good condition and are well broken in (re: vagabondette). I guess I'm going to find out. Surely, if they are in ruins along the journey, I will be able to purchase some kind of replacement footwear that would be adequate to finish the journey, right?! At the very least, I will be able to walk a few miles on flip flops until I find a shoe store.

Anyway, the good news is, I will write a post when I finish. So you will all find out how I - and my footwear - survived the journey. For the duration of the trip, and barring any emergencies, I will not be using the internet, phone, email, etc. I won't be bringing my phone (unless I want to use it as a camera, in which I case I'll consider it). I will bring a pen and journal though so I can write about each day of my trip. This will help me have my 'alone' time if it's very sociable, and it will be an interesting learning tool for future reference.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice, folks. The more input the merrier.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh and David, what did you mean when you wrote:

Do you wish to enjoy the history of Leon etc as you walk?
The reason i ask is that too many people allow a certain time ,Switt_-ers ...DON"T.

Did you mean that some people spend all day sightseeing or reading through a guidebook whilst walking? Can you explain, please? Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The opposite mate.
A lot of people book the return flight home and thus rush.
Give yourself many more than the 30 plus days quoted.
We have found over the years and 5 different camino's that the slower we go, the more villages we visit to see them and enjoy the friendship they offer the more beautiful these camino's become.
The Miam Miam Do Do will give you many options in where to stay, its our favourite.

The long pants should be the" zip off" ones , bring 2 , one in the sack and the other to walk.
Easy to wash and dry and i usually take a few old golf shorts and shirts that never return.

and yes i would love to walk a camino in a suit , the birthday one. :D

Switt_Ers said:
So not for any 'corporate' reasons - I'm not even sure I understand that reference. I mean, I won't be wearing a suit and tie?! Although, perhaps I should... would I be the first? :) .

Well, you wouldn't be the first. As I've posted on another thread, years ago I hitched/walked/took public transport through Europe and Asia to Oz, carrying an enormous rucsac full of unnecessary stuff, including, would you believe, a suit, tie, smart shirt and shoes..... I knew nothing about backpacking overseas before I started (no forums like this one for info), so had to rely on reading accounts of the (few) others who'd done similar journeys. One such book, which seemed authentic, said, among other things, "be sure to take a set of smart clothes in case you're invited out to a posh do along the way, at the embassy or such" !!!!!! Can you believe it?? Well, I did, and took all this ****, carried it for a couple of weeks agonised walking before sending it all home. I reckon my old fashioned, heavy canvas pack - no hip belt - must have weighed 15+ kilos.
So forgive me my constant ranting about travelling light... :D
And I never did get invited to the British Embassy for drinkies.... :lol:

This is cracking me up because I've just been arguing with my DH about whether he should take his (and our son's) suit! We have a big do in the US after the Camino, and he doesn't want to buy new suits. (Yes, we do have mail, FedEx, etc..., here.) He also keeps talking about taking a tent.

I told him to take what he wants, but I don't want to hear one word about his pack, his shoulders, his knees, his feet, or anything else!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
the first week of the camino francais is incredibly lovely.Should you want a detour have a look on google images at the picos d,europa..there is a small town called potes and the best mountain walking in Spain....even better than the pyrennes.

as for clothing...i'll stick to me kilt and rock band t shirts...(neither are wicking...both are wicked)

Thanks na2than. I've googled Potes and will have a look at it whenever I get a chance.

As for your clothing choice, well, who can argue with that, eh?

A bientot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.