• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take my vitamins?

barbfox5759

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins, about 10 a day, is heavy! I don't take any medication and am a bit nervous to go without vitamins, but I could probably save some weight. As I said, I am fine tuning. I know my weight will decrease as I take them, but thought I would get some advice from some veteran pilgrims!
Thanks so much!
Barb

A selection of Camino Jewellery
360 vitamin tablets are heavy? Wow, what are you taking? Iron supplements in elemental form? I could do the blah, blah, blah about unnecessary supplementation, Sewerage water generally containing more vitamins than a freshly picked foodstuff and why not just eat a healthy diet - but I'm not going to do that. I take 7 different medications everyday and some bonus ones on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I've just finished packing them up for a 6 week trip. Total weight 228gm. The paperwork to get them through Border Control probably weighs more. I just checked, it does.

If you are into a fifteen year habit don't change it. Especially don't change it on a Camino. You'll have enough to contend with ;)

Buen camino :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have been taking vitamins and supplements for 15 years on, your overall levels of whatever it they are about should be good and usually you can do a while without them.
In doubt, have those levels checked out befor you leave. Speak with your physician about the supplements that you must continue to take.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I take the supplements recommended to me as part of my osteo-arthritis pain management regime. They can be obtained in both Portugal and Spain, but are significantly more expensive if they are only available in blister packaging. Those and other medications do end up being bulky, and I remove as much of the packaging as possible after I arrive and put them in labelled zip lock bags. That reduces the weight and volume a bit and it is more convenient getting them into odd corners of my pack.

You can buy vitamins in Spain.
Also there's plenty of multivitamin tablets that are tiny. In conjunction with a balanced diet, how bad could it be?
If you're not happy with those alternatives, i guess there's no other option thsn to carry them with you.

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins, about 10 a day, is heavy! I don't take any medication and am a bit nervous to go without vitamins, but I could probably save some weight. As I said, I am fine tuning. I know my weight will decrease as I take them, but thought I would get some advice from some veteran pilgrims!
Thanks so much!
Barb
Good question, I’ve been wondering the samw

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Everything depends on *what* you take, and why you take it. Let me give you two extremes. You're probably in the middle.

If, for example, you're taking supplements after stomach, gallbladder, or pancreatic issues or surgery, then take what the doctor has given you, and *only* what the doctor has given you. No substitutions.

If, on the other hand, you're taking over the counter supplements, and you're from the US ( where the content and quality of over the counter supplements is * not* well regulated), AND you're taking these without checking with a medical doctor? Especially if you've forgotten why you started them, or forgotten what they do?

Personally, I'd skip those.

I suspect that your mileage is somewhere in between. In which case, tell your doctor what you plan to do, and together, you can work out what you'll really need.

Thanks so much!
Barb
Bring your vitamins. Buen Camino🥾

I’ve found vitamin patches on Amazon, a month supply weighs about the same as a sheet of paper. They’re a bit expensive so I wouldn’t use them all the time but they’re perfect for the camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much!
Barb
No judgement on the amount of vitamins you take a day. If you feel better and are in better health, more power to you. I will say this. Once I get my rhythm and body in sync and have walked about a week, this 70 year old feels about 25 the rest of the way! So take a chance let the camino be you will be your Flintstones vitamins!! 😊

Last edited:
The last stage of my last Camino was about 8½ months, around 6 of which were on two medications (one of which 2½/day average) and 3 supplements -- so I started out with about 1,200 pills in my pack, so about 3 times what you would be carrying.

The weight isn't much really, it's the volume. Trick is, as much as possible, use as few boxes and plastic bottles as possible, and get rid of as much packaging as possible, and jam-pack everything instead. Stuff as many blister packs as will fit into one box !!

On a shorter pilgrimage I'd likely take all of the ones that I use at home, which is now one medication and 6 supplements, and on my next 3-month one I'd need to carry around 1,000 pills, but they shouldn't be as bulky as they were last time.

You can carry a larger pack for the extra volume, but choose your other kit as if for a smaller pack.

360 vitamin tablets are heavy? Wow, what are you taking? Iron supplements in elemental form? I could do the blah, blah, blah about unnecessary supplementation, Sewerage water generally containing more vitamins than a freshly picked foodstuff and why not just eat a healthy diet - but I'm not going to do that. I take 7 different medications everyday and some bonus ones on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I've just finished packing them up for a 6 week trip. Total weight 228gm. The paperwork to get them through Border Control probably weighs more. I just checked, it does.

If you are into a fifteen year habit don't change it. Especially don't change it on a Camino. You'll have enough to contend with ;)

Buen camino :)
Hi there, you mentioned paperwork ... I wanted to decant some enzymes I take for digesting beans, cabbage and dairy into a little plastic bag for a two-week Camino ... but they won't have the bottle labels on them obviously. Is that something that border control will be concerned with? Some little red pills and little white pills in a plastic bag? Last time I flew anywhere I was younger and didn't take so many tablets!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there, you mentioned paperwork ... I wanted to decant some enzymes I take for digesting beans, cabbage and dairy into a little plastic bag for a two-week Camino ... but they won't have the bottle labels on them obviously. Is that something that border control will be concerned with? Some little red pills and little white pills in a plastic bag? Last time I flew anywhere I was younger and didn't take so many tablets!
Usually it's no problem, but you could bring them in the bottles and discard the bottles later.

The problem with Border Control and Flight Security is that you can never tell when something is going to be a problem. Little pills in a plastic bag are obviously either innocuous or an attempt at importing illegal drugs. If you’re content that your transit into Spain may involve some delay and an interaction with a greased rubber glove then there’s no need to bother with original packaging or supporting paperwork.

As @trecile suggests above you can discard the packaging after you’ve passed the jump

GreenCat, sounds almost like you're making your own pills, so no original bottles or prescriptions. Or are you just bringing Beano and Lactaid? If the latter, leave them in their original bottles until you exit the airport. You can easily consolidate before you start walking.

Caveat qui dat. Customs / border control *might* notice; they might *not*. But *if* they notice, or if a sniffer dog notices, no amount of paperwork you generate from your side will help you keep them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took mine with me. Vitamin-wise I take Vitamin D and Cinnamon. The former I did leave home (I figured I'll get enough of natural sun and boy wasnt that TRUE!) Cinnamon came with. Had to take couple of prescriptions anyway so one more bottle didnt make it or break it. In addition once on Camino grabbed some Magnesium so had that with me as well
Good Luck and Buen Camino

Thanks so much!
Barb
I brought my vitamins and medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, diarhea/constipation -related)_with me when I walked from Le Puy last September, and my wife brought hers. We put them in plastic bags, some distinguishable in the same bag. The weight addition was negligible and they take up very little space. We saw no point in buying them along the way because just like here, they are sold in quantity. We consider them an essential accompaniment to a first aid kit.

There are many things to jettison because of weight. Heavy sandals weigh more than a first aid kit or medications. We switched to crocs swift water sandals which weigh almost nothing. The Tevas we brought the first time added lots of weight. Choose wisely.

I took mine with me. Vitamin-wise I take Vitamin D and Cinnamon. The former I did leave home (I figured I'll get enough of natural sun and boy wasnt that TRUE!) Cinnamon came with. Had to take couple of prescriptions anyway so one more bottle didnt make it or break it. In addition once on Camino grabbed some Magnesium so had that with me as well
Good Luck and Buen Camino
Do you take high dose magnesium? Easy to get in Spain? We are walking 50 to 56 days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2 years ago I tried doing a "supplement vacation". After a few days I started getting lots of "skipped heart beats". I knew that those had previously been improved by adding magnesium to my list. I stopped by a supplement store, bought a bottle of magnesium, and took two magnesiums on the spot. About an hour afterwards my skipped beats disappeared. I'm a magnesium believer now.

Otherwise, supplements aren't like drugs, they work over MONTHS/YEARS...NOT days.
That being said, the human body DOES build up a level. Magnesium is one of those supplements, but it can quickly decline, especially with heavy sweating and exercise.

Different supplements do different things.
Anti-Inflammatories such as curcumin, fish oil, boswellia, Vit D can work over a few days. It depends how "inflamed" you are, if you need to continue those. These CAN modulate the amount of inflammation someone gets when they're doing something like...walking all day, everyday for a month.
Classically, hikers take a lot of ibuprofen, but that's tough on your body.
You'd think you wouldn't need Vit D because you're in the sun all day. But most people only have their hands and face exposed to the sun (and even those are covered with sunscreen), so Vit D may be worth it to carry.

Joint Supplements like Glusosmine, condroitin, MSM work over the LONG term, not days. They're not going to help over the course of days.

Electrolytes (including magnesium) are definitely a must if you're sweating alot or drinking lots of water.

Bringing your normal Multi-Vitamin is probably a good idea.

What I do is repackage the daily vitamins into little baggies, so there's as little hassle as possible.

THE PROBLEM IS, most box stores and pharmacies carry the CHEAPEST supplements ever made. So it just depends whether you can even buy a decent version of your normal supplement on the road.

Thanks so much!
Barb
I take a few pills myself, Calcium, Krill oil, Tylenol and one prescription med. I am going for 3 weeks so just put them all in one baggy. Much lighter.........360 is sure to be much heavier than...

I take the supplements recommended to me as part of my osteo-arthritis pain management regime. They can be obtained in both Portugal and Spain, but are significantly more expensive if they are only available in blister packaging. Those and other medications do end up being bulky, and I remove as much of the packaging as possible after I arrive and put them in labelled zip lock bags. That reduces the weight and volume a bit and it is more convenient getting them into odd corners of my pack.
Curious…starting to get osteo in my hands. What regime works for you?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much!
Barb
I take my Multis, magnesium (great for muscle cramps, constipation, insomnia), D3. I leave everything else at home.

Clearly not the majority opinion, but I wouldn't leave home without my most crucial supplements. As a vegetarian, who found the Camino "diet" very challenging, I'd have been in big trouble without them. That coupled with multiple required meds meant a fair amount of space in my pack. I was more concerned about the space, to be honest, than the added weight, which I knew was reducing everyday by virtue of consumption. They helped keep me healthy at a time when my resources were otherwise far lower than they would have been, and my body was physically pushed to limits I'd never pushed it before. Without a doubt, I'd say that if your body is accustomed to them, do yourself a favour and don't introduce "withdrawal" and all its affects, into your Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GreenCat, sounds almost like you're making your own pills,

???

I didn’t think @GreenCat meant that she makes her own pills, from my reading of her post.
She is from the UK, where very broad spectrum enzymes are available, in one capsule, not as several different products.

I’d take mine on camino, especially for the many dishes made with pulses and dairy.

I’m not aware of a personal need for an enzyme for cabbage, but my beloved might disagree when Brussel Sprouts are in season. 😉

@GreenCat

Take your enzymes in the original jar and decant them into a bag when you arrive.
For just two weeks, you’ll be able to reduce the number in the original container, so they won’t weigh too much. 🙂

Buen Camino!!

Curious…starting to get osteo in my hands. What regime works for you?
There are four supplements in my regime - fish oil, glucosamine, turmeric and magnesium. Before my knees were replaced, I routinely used modified release paracetamol (not available in the EC) with ibuprofen, mainly when I was walking, to control pain. This was in addition to prescribed medications for other conditions.

Maybe replace some with a good multi-vitamin…coukd help if you are concerned about weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2 years ago I tried doing a "supplement vacation". After a few days I started getting lots of "skipped heart beats". I knew that those had previously been improved by adding magnesium to my list. I stopped by a supplement store, bought a bottle of magnesium, and took two magnesiums on the spot. About an hour afterwards my skipped beats disappeared. I'm a magnesium believer now.

Now replace the word "magnesium" with the word "alcohol".

GreenCat, sounds almost like you're making your own pills, so no original bottles or prescriptions. Or are you just bringing Beano and Lactaid? If the latter, leave them in their original bottles until you exit the airport. You can easily consolidate before you start walking.

Caveat qui dat. Customs / border control *might* notice; they might *not*. But *if* they notice, or if a sniffer dog notices, no amount of paperwork you generate from your side will help you keep them.
Hi denier, yes - Beano and Lactaid. Will take in original bottles then decant! Thank you 😊 On a related question, I assume antibiotics with a pharmacy prescription label on the box will be ok?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi denier, yes - Beano and Lactaid. Will take in original bottles then decant! Thank you 😊 On a related question, I assume antibiotics with a pharmacy prescription label on the box will be ok?
Dbier not denier! Dratted predictive texting on my phone likes to edit me unasked!

I read some questions about vitamins (or magnesium) availability in Spain:
1) The original question was about France (Podiensis), not Spain.
2) It is very likely you can find all this stuff in France or in Spain.

There are four supplements in my regime - fish oil, glucosamine, turmeric and magnesium. Before my knees were replaced, I routinely used modified release paracetamol (not available in the EC) with ibuprofen, mainly when I was walking, to control pain. This was in addition to prescribed medications for other conditions.
Thanks! Using turmeric and mag, may add the other two!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take a few pills myself, Calcium, Krill oil, Tylenol and one prescription med. I am going for 3 weeks so just put them all in one baggy. Much lighter.........360 is sure to be much heavier than...
I take calcium at home, but drink my coffee black. On the camino it's easier to drink cafe con leche, so I leave the supplements at home. I eat plenty of cheese and ice cream home and walking!

Wow - I knew nothing of magnesium, but it sounds like a great idea. Can anyone recommend a brand where the pill is SMALL, or even chewable? Also the dosage? So many choices. Thank you.

Wow - I knew nothing of magnesium, but it sounds like a great idea. Can anyone recommend a brand where the pill is SMALL, or even chewable? Also the dosage? So many choices. Thank you.

The only supplement I take is magnesium.

This brand is available in sachets.To be bought in pharmacies or online.

Last edited:
There are several types of magnesium supplements, some of which can have an (unwanted) laxative effect. 😨 This article lists the pros and cons of each type.

I take magnesium glycinate which I buy at Costco

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dbier not denier! Dratted predictive texting on my phone likes to edit me unasked!
Yes, any non- opioid or non- cannaboid prescription in its box should go through just fine. Again, if they check at all.

You can always consolidate into baggies after arrival. ;)

Thanks so much!
Barb
I'm a believer in vitamins and supplements, but for the Camino I try to minimize what I bring. So my compromise is one multivitamin per day and one 500mg Magnesium Glycinate capsules per day.

Studies have shown that about 85% of Americans are deficient in magnesium, which is involved in over 300 biochemical reactions in the body. One capsule of magnesium glycinate provides about 70 mg of elemental magnesium, which is about the minimum amount needed to meet your dietary requirements. Two capsules would be better but then you have weight and bulk to consider. I did see it available in the supermarkets, so I might purchase some more along the way. I am particular to magnesium glycinate (as opposed to other chelated forms) because it does not affect the bowels like other forms can.

Magnesium can help prevent cramps and help with sleep among other notable health affects.

You can buy vitamins in Spain.
Also there's plenty of multivitamin tablets that are tiny. In conjunction with a balanced diet, how bad could it be?
If you're not happy with those alternatives, i guess there's no other option thsn to carry them with you.
She is asking about Le Puy en Velay route, not Spain. I saw much fewer open pharmacies on this route to Cahors. We were looking for one as I got tendintis and we needed more strapping than we had brought with us. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find one, and then started to look out and notice. Part of the problem was that their hours, when one was available, were not at all compatible. They would open much later in the morning than when we wanted to leave, close during 12-2:00 lunch hours and often be closed on Saturday afternoon, Sundays and Mondays. That being said, take only the supplements that help with joint health such as glucosamine and collagen and maybe magnesium to stop cramps, and leave the rest behind. If you find that you need them as you notice the difference, then check Miam Mian Dodo and plan the walk to be there during opening hours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much!
Barb
I’ll be bringing mine. One multivitamin a day in capsule form. Not a significant weight or space burden.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back