• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Talking about 'the Camino'

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
I think I was very stupid, a while ago I agreed about talking about 'walking to Santiago' and to cap it all, 'walking to Jerusalem'.... What did I know, I was recovering from flu, huh. i wasn't well :confused:

Has anyone done anything like this? It's next Friday btw.

Ps : I think being a pilgrim has taught me something, I musn't panic, I musnt't panic, I can do this....
'Course I can....

Aaaaaaarrrrghghhhghgh :eek: :eek::eek::D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh dear! You walk all those kilometres, through all those countries. You get home safe and sound. And then you go and catch "foot in mouth" disease on your own doorstep :)

A nerve-wracking business but I hope you have a friendly audience. Sure you'll be fine. Wishing you all the best however it goes!

Well thank you Bradypus for those uplifting words :)

I don't know how to delete the thread, I wish I could

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Domingee I can delete the thread if you would really like me to: but its a great post. We all do it ( well I do, and you do) we talk about Camino to our friends, our acquaintances, people we meet at bus -stops :)confused:) and then somebody we thought knew us well sticks us in front of an audience and says 'go on then'.

Pretend its the night before you get on that 'plane or bus or train. Remember how panic stricken you felt? And then remember that bit as you descended from Monte Gozo and you saw the spires and cried. And then remember all those bits in-between when you laughed, cried or just sighed with relief. And then tell them about that moment, those moments. Or just say 'walk, eat, sleep, repeat is Camino' and sit down to applause.

I can delete this thread if you really want me to but I think there are a lot of us who have tried to explain and maybe they will now try to help you explain.

Buen camino amigo

Re-reading my post I realise now that it could be read as sarcastic. I do hope that I have not accidentally offended you. Completely the opposite to what I intended. Your journeys have been remarkable and you will have so much to offer. A little nervousness before public speaking is absolutely understandable. If I have made matters worse with my cack-handed levity please accept my deepest apologies. My good wishes were and are completely sincere.

@Domingee I can delete the thread if you would really like me to: but its a great post. We all do it ( well I do, and you do) we talk about Camino to our friends, our acquaintances, people we meet at bus -stops :)confused:) and then somebody we thought knew us well sticks us in front of an audience and says 'go on then'.

Pretend its the night before you get on that 'plane or bus or train. Remember how panic stricken you felt? And then remember that bit as you descended from Monte Gozo and you saw the spires and cried. And then remember all those bits in-between when you laughed, cried or just sighed with relief. And then tell them about that moment, those moments. Or just say 'walk, eat, sleep, repeat is Camino' and sit down to applause.

I can delete this thread if you really want me to but I think there are a lot of us who have tried to explain and maybe they will now try to help you explain.

Buen camino amigo

Thank you so much Tincatinker, you're right, I can hack it :) Thank you ! Crying my eyes out at the mo but I'll be fine in a minute :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re-reading my post I realise now that it could be read as sarcastic. I do hope that I have not accidentally offended you. Completely the opposite to what I intended. Your journeys have been remarkable and you will have so much to offer. A little nervousness before public speaking is absolutely understandable. If I have made matters worse with my cack-handed levity please accept my deepest apologies. My good wishes were and are completely sincere.

You've done nothing wrong! I'm... freaking out for no reason :D;) Thanks for your sense of humour.

I'm no public speaker but did sign up last year to present during our monthly 1 hour "Travel Adventure Series" of brown bag lunches. I was the same way until I put the first slide up on the screen. All of a sudden I was back in my groove and comfortably presented.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could start by explaining how back in the Middle Ages a woman had to get permission from her husband to walk to both Santiago and Jerusalem, but men only had to ask for permission to go to Santiago!

You could start by explaining how back in the Middle Ages a woman had to get permission from her husband to walk to both Santiago and Jerusalem, but men only had to ask for permission to go to Santiago!
Wow! Anemone have you got a source for that? And I only ask because from my own tradition pilgrimage was / is purely from personal choice. The decision to 'go' is all that is required. I am aware that in medieval England the peasantry would require written permission from their fiefed Lord or the Parish Priest to leave the Parish/Domeigne. Probably the origin of the credencial . As we always lived outside the Pale we were not bound by those rules. Family didat set the bounds of our aspirations not gender.

Wow! Anemone have you got a source for that? And I only ask because from my own tradition pilgrimage was / is purely from personal choice. The decision to 'go' is all that is required. I am aware that in medieval England the peasantry would require written permission from their fiefed Lord or the Parish Priest to leave the Parish/Domeigne. Probably the origin of the credencial . As we always lived outside the Pale we were not bound by those rules. Family didat set the bounds of our aspirations not gender.

Tincatinker, Anemone's reading the same book as I am - I think - and yes I read that too (well, to Santiago anyway, can't remember the details about Jerusalem... ).
Anyway, Anemone, you're a trouble-maker ;) and I'd love to have you here next Friday :D
Or maybe not :D;))

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen camino amigo
Great post, great advice.

I just had a 'meeting' (ie tea in my house :D) with the man who's organising it all and I think it'll be fine :eek:
Thank you for putting up with my 'freaking out'.
I agreed ages ago to yes, give a 'talk' about it all as so many people were interested. Why not? I am also passionate about it.
But then they started asking about what I needed, projectors and such...
And I realised.... I had nothing! No proper pics, no nothing.... only my memories. Even the records on my blog were lost.
I am a teacher and always use the the latest technologies in my classroom but this time I was lost. My pilgrimages were never meant to be on record, as such.
All is well :)
As I said before on other threads, I'm a rubbish pilgrim and therefore condemmed to do the pilgrimage over..and over.. Again.
I survived climbing the Pyrenees and countless other mountains,I can survive this:cool:
(Please can you all ignore this as gibberish and keep your fingers crossed! Thanks)

I have done a couple of presentations for different audiences on request, and have a Powerpoint presentation, but it is in Norw. I can easily translate and let you have it, so you can modify to your own needs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have made a presentation to a local club after each of my caminos. Never done any public speaking previously. My presentations have not even been to a walking group, or a Camino related group, but to a gardening club. I have been invited back each year to bigger audiences (up to 40). I have always made a video to accompany my talk but people are really more interested in what I have to say about the Camino, amusing anecdotes, descriptions of albergue living conditions and the idiosyncrasies of fellow pilgrims. Throw in a few facts and figures and a bit of history. Leave time for a question and answer session. Believe me, once you get into your stride (just like on the Camino) you will be absolutely fine. Tell it from the heart - you can't go wrong.
Good luck
Maggie

Adeline Rucquoi's Mille fois à Compostelle, page 74. It's out of Alfonso X's First Partida, titulo VIII, Lwy 9 of Las Siete Partidas in the Liber Sancti Jacob, Lib. I, ch. 17, page 94.

100 years earlier apparently the Codex also stated that one had to get permission from onés pastor, subjects or spouse, but regardless of the pilgrimage.

Hi domigee -

As you don't have any proper pics etc, could you use your backpack, some of your hiking gear and your boots as props? Do you have your scallop shell, credencial and compostela? You could use those too. You could tell a funny story about each item - humour in public speaking is always a winner. Use what you have to help you with your presentation.

Best of luck with your presentation -

Cheers - Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually, for my first presentation I took my backpack loaded to the weight I carried. People were very interested to lift it and try it on. I could send you a doc with the stats I used last year - let me know if you want me to send it.

I have done a couple of presentations for different audiences on request, and have a Powerpoint presentation, but it is in Norw. I can easily translate and let you have it, so you can modify to your own needs.

That is such a kind offer, just like one of those 'miracles' that happen on the Camino! :) Thank you so much, I'd love to.
I will of course say it comes from you, it would illustrate the true spirit of the Camino.
Dominique

Actually, for my first presentation I took my backpack loaded to the weight I carried. People were very interested to lift it and try it on. I could send you a doc with the stats I used last year - let me know if you want me to send it.

Yes please Magwood, thank you soo much!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes please Magwood, thank you soo much!

Sorry for the delay in responding. If you pm me with your email address I can send you an editable copy.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back