• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrain from Sarria to Santiago

SaraC

Hi all,

My mini-Camino is a little over 6 weeks away--yay!

Unfortunately, I think I've just sprained (and by sprained, I might actually mean broken) my foot. I've suffered a similar injury many years ago, and it took about 6 weeks in a walking cast before I was allowed to shower without plastic wrap around my leg.

Arrrgh!! :x :cry:

If they decide that I do need a cast, there's no way I'll be able to train for the 20km/day for the next 6 weeks, and I'll only just be getting the cast cut off when I'm ready to leave Canada, so my foot and leg won't be ready for anything too intense. (Actually, the healing time can extend to 8 weeks, which makes this whole situation worse.)

I really (REALLY) don't want to cancel my walk, because a) I've gotten myself ramped up for it and b) I've gone and booked it through a tour group that will keep a bunch of the payment. (Regretting that decision more every day. :( ) That said, I don't want to have a bad experience just because I got stubborn and decided to walk despite being woefully unprepared.

So, with this in mind, can anyone tell me what the terrain is like from Sarria to Santiago? Is it walkable for someone who isn't truely ready? I'm sure that many people (read: people with really poor physical condition who decided that this would be a fun week's trip and plan on buying boots in Sarria) have completed this leg of the Camino... right?

Are there any veteran (or brand-new) peregrinos out there with advice?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is not the most difficult terrain, but it is not easy. For example, the last 200 meters down to the Mino River at Portomarin is steeper than a staircase. The next day you walk steadily up for nearly ten kilometers. It is up and down in general, but the footing is generally quite good -- quiet road and improved path.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola - If you have booked it through a tour group they may provide a luggage forwarding service - if not you could think about using one...the less weight you are carrying the better in these circumstances.

Buen camino

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sara,

The Camino has been there a long time, and will be there for a long time.

On the other hand we have only two feet and they cannot be replaced. If you try to walk on an unhealed foot you could do further damage, and maybe permanent damage. My advice for what it is worth is to take really good care of your foot.

If you cancelled right now you have more likelihood of being allowed transfer your money to another year.

Let me tell you my experience this spring. On the last few Klm. descending to Roncesvalles I got a little bruise under the nail of the little toe, I walked next day but every second step was painful and I got only as far as viscarret, I walked the following day,again with pain every time I put my right foot down. AGAIN ONLY ABOUT 10KLM. The following day after about 10 k a new pain developed up the inside of the leg and I realised that i MUST HAVE BEEN WALKING CROOKEDLY TO AVOID PAIN
i WENT HOME IMMEDIATELY AND MISSED OT ON THE SECOND AND THIRD WEEK.

i PLANNED TO GO BACK IN sEPT TO DO THE FORTNIGHT THAT i HAD MISSED, BUT i AM STILL ATTENDING pHYSIOTHERAPIST AND DOING DPHYSIO EVERY DAY AND I know that I am not fir to walk long didtances this autumn

IF I had not continued to walk I would be alright now and able to return and do two more weeks, Bur stubb pride has been the cause of my trouble.

Get the foot checked out and take the doctors advice. Being brave and hardy are not always the best options.

Be prepared to sacrifice the present for the future

Buen Camino

Lydia

SaraC said:
I don't want to have a bad experience just because I got stubborn and decided to walk despite being woefully unprepared.
Frankly, you should consult your podiatric physician!. The problem is your foot, not the way. :|

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I'm going to the foot doc on Monday (the clinic is closed on weekends--imagine that! :wink: ) and see what he says. Last time I followed the advice of some well-meaning family members and hobbled around for 3 months before caving--not this time! That 3 months ended up making the injury much worse, so I'm hoping that I can heal quicker this time around. Obviously, if there's something that won't heal in time for the trip, it's getting called off, but if I can get better before I'm scheduled to leave then I'm willing to take it slow and steady... more stops in cafes, I guess... :lol:

And, absolutely, the problem is my foot! I meant that I don't want to do something stupid (which has been known to happen...), not that I think the Camino is waiting to beat me down!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am no mystic and while karma may influence it doesn't always perk through but I truly believe that everything which occurs on the Camino has a reason, an underlying explanation which is difficult to interpret at the time. You meet certain people who become friends for three days and later for life, a particular church or a mass no different from many others is suddenly very moving, you walk slower or faster on a particular day and something amazing happens, the albergue you thought to stay in is completo or closed and you discover a real gem, a side trip casually taken becomes one of the most amazing parts of your Camino, and yes, an injury slows you down or causes you to replan for next year. You have only to believe, well not predestination but call it destination, this is unforeseen and now incomprehensible experience is something just meant to be. You are correct, in order to finish your Camino you will need your feet-next year the one after the Camino will still be here, to paraphrase the song “remember your “feet” you will miss them when they are gone”.

I am taking a group of no-to-able pilgrims on the last 100km from Barbadelo to Santiago next year in May. We will only cover about 5km - 7km per day.
You can download an eight-stage guide on the Camino Frances in Galicia from O Cebreiro to Santiago here.
http://www.guiarepsol.com/es_es/turismo ... sible.aspx
It is in Spanish but contains hundreds of photographs of the paths on each stage.
This guide is intended as a support resource for people who have physical difficulties, Ultimately, the aim of this guide is that wherever pilgrims go on foot, horseback or bicycle, it can also be done in a wheelchair or crutches.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to me! I've seen a foot doctor and he said that it's likely a tendon problem. It's seemed to get much better in response to the RICE treatment, and I'll hopefully be back to walking with a pack shortly.

So, for now it seems like the mini-Camino is back on, as long as I don't do anything stupid... :lol:

(And, WOW, Sillydoll... that's an amazing resource, thanks for posting it! Can't wait until I can see those sights with my own eyes!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back