• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thank you! The Camino of life continues...

Ewald Schmidt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Léon- 2011
Camino Portuguese June 2018
I have walked the Camino from Leon to Santiago from 30 May to 17 June. Some days it went really well, other days my feet killed me, with blisters and cramps. Some days I could follow John Brierley's days in his guide, some days I only did 8.5 km.

But I met some wonderful people along the way. From every part of the globe, some from my own country, South africa, some from Korea and Canada. And a lot of good people from Europe.
Some have helped me tremendously, like the two American ladies who gave me water when I were dehidrating from the Iron Cross down the next hill in extreme heat. Some walked a part of the Camino with me, some have been very friendly along the way. There were excellent people in Alburgues and refugios, there were good people preparing pilgrims meals. Or like David from Barcelona, with his chearfull stall along the way. There were strangers just giving me sweet ripe dark red cherries, and there were Spanish people from every town just wishing me a Buen Camino... Especially thanks to the good people from then Pilgrims office in Santiago, for giving me my Compostelo, and all the work you guys are doing to make this possible...

It was one of the most challenging experiences of my life, and one of the most rewarding ever. If you are just thinking about the Camino, and still wonder if it is for you- buy the airplane ticket and just go! It will change your life!

I did not have time to walk to Finisterre, but went there by bus anyway. It was most rewarding...
I arrived home today after a month's leave, and have to start working again soon. It was so good to get back to my family. It is so good to walk the way of life from this point forward, knowing that there will always be a Way (John 14:6) a Truth and a Life!

If I met you, if I did'nt meet you and just saw you along the way, if you have helped me, if you have prayed for me- thank you! Thank you for being part of my journey!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What an uplifting post Ewald! With your attitude your continuing Camino of life to which you refer is certain to be bountiful!

Ewald,
You have experienced the answer to the question "Why Camino?"
You have received the blessing.

Buen Camino as you journey on.
David, Victoria, Canada

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ewald, thank you for your post. The Camino is open to all people and their various motivations; however, I have always valued the Camino as a true Pilgrimage full of Spiritual rewards, trials, and gifts. Coming to know the Savior, deepening that relationship, learning to recognize His voice through all the noise of life, and learning to serve others our of love is what the Camino can do for each of us if our purpose for walking is done with an eye single to Him.

I do not say this to denigrate the many other good reasons people walk the Way. They also are valuabale and of great benefit, but those motivations are simply different from a Christian pilgrimage.

May His peace be upon you always and may you share it through actions to all you meet,

Ewald, I'll keep your words in mind for my next Camino, and pack some extra politeness and gratitude. Seems they add no weight at all!

Congratulations

Rob

Thank you Ewald for your post! It renewed my enthusiasm for my upcoming Camino in September-October. I pray that I will have that same spirit of gentleness and humility along the way that you seem to have. God Bless You!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

Maybe i want to say something too. I walked also from Leon, starting on monday the 18th of April and arrived in Santiago on wednesday the 4th of May.
And this was the best thing I have ever done! I still feel proud of myself doing this.
I had the best time of my life, I am sure.
I also met a lot of wonderful people. Spanish people who wish you Buen Camino early in the morning, and a bartender who gave me a map to avoid a lot of mud on the trail. It rained heavily for 2 days.
The lovely lady of the hostal in Al Acebo who washed and dryed my clothes after I came in totally wet. She took my pyama out of my backpack and tugged me in.
Everybody seems to be at peace with all these pilgrims walking by there doors.
It was fantastic and up to this day I still miss it a lot.
Thanks to this forum, that is there for everybody who wants to go and for everybody who came back.

What a lovely, marvellous post !

To get home so blessed that you return online to thank - you good pilgrim.

I think it was Gautama who was given these words ...

Pursuit of happiness for oneself - result, misery.
Pursuit of happiness for others - result, happiness.

:wink:

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back