• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Botafumeiro to swing on Fridays and Sundays?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
el Correo Gallego had two articles about the botafumeiro in yesterday's papers.

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/opini...nadido/idEdicion-2014-02-08/idNoticia-851863/
SANTIAGO Santiago Cathedral is one of the main centers of attraction for the pilgrims to Compostela and tourists visiting the city, and the spectacular flight of botafumeiro represents an added value to the visit. The news that its operation will be extended to Friday, plus Sunday, can be an important support not only to increase the number of tourists, but also faithful.

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santi...istica/idEdicion-2014-02-08/idNoticia-851772/
There will botafumeiro Fridays, as 'weapon' tourist attraction
An agreement between the City Council, the Chamber and the industry allows the use of the botafumeiro at half past seven on Fridays.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This are great news!

That is wonderful news sillydoll I may stand a good chance of being there to see it for the first time !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Sillydoll...thanks for posting this .. I am hoping that Good Friday it will swing this year (my luck it will be deemed a "public holiday"... any ideas? Thanks, Jo

I have just been lucky. Every time I have been there it has swung! Can't remember which days though. Maybe St J likes me? Though I have to say that for me a quite time in front of the Tomb (preferable without the tourist procession passing behind me) is the best part of arriving.

May I very humbly offer one piece of advice on experiencing and enjoying the botafumeiro?

Instead of filming the event on your Smartphone or camera, put away the device and 'be' there. Feel it, see it, hear the beautiful, evocative organ music, smell the incense (and your fellow pilgrims), and let the experience really soak in. You can always find the video on YouTube, and your friends and family can see it there, too. If you have just one chance to see this spectacular event, be there fully so it will never, ever leave you.

The botafumeiro is truly one of the most evocative things I have ever experienced in my life, and there's some heavy competition for that title. Don't miss it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pretend this video is yours. Load it onto you computer or iPhone. I doubt you would be able to shoot it better, and you can follow nreyn12's advice!

I don't see where it says anything about Domingo (Sunday) only that the botafumeiro swung with the help (one would assume donations) from the "Concello, la Cámara de Comercio". I also looked in La Voz de Galicia for this news but the search is not working at present.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fantastic video, Falcon! Now everyone can pocket their Smartphones!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.