• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Provides in 2016!

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Seeing that @Anniesantiago got her airline ticket just sent me OVER THE EDGE! So, I have done it....I have purchased a ticket for my next Camino!

August 30th 2016, I fly into Pamplona.

October 4th (or 5th), I fly back to Oregon from Santiago!

I was so happy to go on my Camino from 28 September to flying back on 14 November of this year, and I am still processing through my trip. Here are some things I have noticed:

1. I am more patient upon return. I think I walked the anger right out, and I am more tolerant of people. I can love them as they are, and then just walk away. No sense trying to pander to people who won't like you, and it's best to just be with the ones who love you.

2. I loved being outside, rain, shine, or what have you. The scenery floated by me in slow motion, or did I float past it? I have the images on my computer, and in my mind. I see so many moments if I just give myself a moment--that last kilometer before Roncesvalles, and how the trail was flattening, and I had a sense of arrival, and my clothing was so soaking wet, but it was okay, because I was okay.

3. The people were wonderful to me. On a few occasions, there was the odd one out, but that was so rare. People were gracious. I loved speaking Spanish, and improving on my Spanish. One time, in Santiago, this odd little guy from Michigan tried to walk out of a restaurant without paying, and the waiter, who I'd just taught to say, "Hey Cowboy..." in English (instead of Caballero, which he called his friends), shouted, HEY, COWBOY! and got the Michigander to turn around, ha ha!

4. The food was good, generally fresh and plentiful. Water was good. I never got ill! I was an adventurous eater, and one of my best experiences was walking into a bar, sitting down, and asking the proprietor to choose what I would eat. I told him to give me three tapas that he thought I should try, and one glass of one that he recommended. I told him that price didn't matter, that I just wanted to learn.

After three tapas and a nice, big glass of wine, the charge? 5 euros. He smiled and winked, and thanked me for my interest in Spain.

5. I learned. I learned a lot about my survival, and how to help others stay healthy. I was able to help others with their maladies, and often could get them through until they reached the pharmacy. And no, I did not mind sharing my goods. When I met a young Australian guy during my last stretch --around Villafranca--I sat down and went through my kit, and gave him my compeed etc. He needed it. I didn't. Nor did I through the last few hundred kilometers. I knew what I needed, and shared what I was carrying.

6. Honesty was fine. If I got tired of being alone, I could tell someone and we'd hang out. If they wanted to move on, they did. We parted friends. If I wanted to move on, I did. We parted friends. There was never any issue with drama. It was a Camino full of mature and kind people, except for...

7. The occasional alarm setter. Okay. Now the leopard is showing a few spots! I had a serious conversation with a young man who let his i phone alarm go off three times...at half five, at six, at half six. Not just a little bell, but the ONG ONG ONG noise of an emergency. Full volume, at the pleasant albuerge in El Ganso. Come on, lad! It's not about "I"---it's about "we" here, and "we" didn't need that! Again, honesty.

So, what will lovely Spain have to teach me in 2016? It doesn't matter. I will be open to it, and again thank all of you who have helped me to learn of this wonderful walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What Durham Parish said.
Boy, oh boy...wonderful, Deb! Congratulations...and happy planning.
When the Camino flows through you next time, may your journey be just as deep and beautiful.
Warmest wishes (literally)!
(BTW...not to sidetrack the thread but I am curious...the guy with the alarm? Did he realize in the end that this might be a bother to others...or...? Great that you said something. Thank you.)

Good for you Deb.

I might see you in Cafe Tertulia on 3 or 4 October! I've pencilled in similar dates for 2016, although they depend on some complicated work and family arrangements. Enjoy the anticipation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agree with every point you made Deb.

I will be back on my third Camino next May and so looking forward to it.

Buen Camino,

Mike

This is my first reply on this forum and I am not sure of the mechanics, I have mostly been reading without responding. I bought my tickets last week. I am walking my first Camino Frances (mid April - towards the end of May). I am fill of excitement and questions. I am 69 years old and will walk to Sarria alone - meeting up with friends there. Loved your post.

Seeing that @Anniesantiago got her airline ticket just sent me OVER THE EDGE! So, I have done it....I have purchased a ticket for my next Camino!

I was so happy to go on my Camino from 28 September to flying back on 14 November of this year, and I am still processing through my trip. Here

I was so happy to go on my Camino from 28 September to flying back on 14 November of this year, and I am still processing through my trip. Here are some things I have noticed:

1. I am more patient upon return. I think I walked the anger right out, and I am more tolerant of people. I can love them as they are, and then just walk away. No sense trying to pander to people who won't like you, and it's best to just be with the ones who love you.

2. I loved being outside, rain, shine, or what have you. The scenery floated by me in slow motion, or did I float past it? I have the images on my computer, and in my mind. I see so many moments if I just give myself a moment--that last kilometer before Roncesvalles, and how the trail was flattening, and I had a sense of arrival, and my clothing was so soaking wet, but it was okay, because I was okay.

3. The people were wonderful to me. On a few occasions, there was the odd one out, but that was so rare. People were gracious. I loved speaking Spanish, and improving on my Spanish. One time, in Santiago, this odd little guy from Michigan tried to walk out of a restaurant without paying, and the waiter, who I'd just taught to say, "Hey Cowboy..." in English (instead of Caballero, which he called his friends), shouted, HEY, COWBOY! and got the Michigander to turn around, ha ha!

4. The food was good, generally fresh and plentiful. Water was good. I never got ill! I was an adventurous eater, and one of my best experiences was walking into a bar, sitting down, and asking the proprietor to choose what I would eat. I told him to give me three tapas that he thought I should try, and one glass of one that he recommended. I told him that price didn't matter, that I just wanted to learn.

After three tapas and a nice, big glass of wine, the charge? 5 euros. He smiled and winked, and thanked me for my interest in Spain.

5. I learned. I learned a lot about my survival, and how to help others stay healthy. I was able to help others with their maladies, and often could get them through until they reached the pharmacy. And no, I did not mind sharing my goods. When I met a young Australian guy during my last stretch --around Villafranca--I sat down and went through my kit, and gave him my compeed etc. He needed it. I didn't. Nor did I through the last few hundred kilometers. I knew what I needed, and shared what I was carrying.

6. Honesty was fine. If I got tired of being alone, I could tell someone and we'd hang out. If they wanted to move on, they did. We parted friends. If I wanted to move on, I did. We parted friends. There was never any issue with drama. It was a Camino full of mature and kind people, except for...

7. The occasional alarm setter. Okay. Now the leopard is showing a few spots! I had a serious conversation with a young man who let his i phone alarm go off three times...at half five, at six, at half six. Not just a little bell, but the ONG ONG ONG noise of an emergency. Full volume, at the pleasant albuerge in El Ganso. Come on, lad! It's not about "I"---it's about "we" here, and "we" didn't need that! Again, honesty.

So, what will lovely Spain have to teach me in 2016? It doesn't matter. I will be open to it, and again thank all of you who have helped me to learn of this wonderful walk.

are some things I have noticed:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi CaminoDebrita :)

I sign everything you wrote except this. You are looking only the people who love you?

I think that on the Way we do not choose company, company chooses us. If you choose only the people who love you, you will not have good company.

Make these people to love you and you'll do God's work. :)

Bota

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I sign everything you wrote except this. You are looking only the people who love you?

I think that on the Way we do not choose company, company chooses us. If you choose only the people who love you, you will not have good company.

Make these people to love you and you'll do God's work. :)

Bota

Not the people on Camino! The people at home...I was thinking of a few family members ;)

This is my first reply on this forum and I am not sure of the mechanics, I have mostly been reading without responding. I bought my tickets last week. I am walking my first Camino Frances (mid April - towards the end of May). I am fill of excitement and questions. I am 69 years old and will walk to Sarria alone - meeting up with friends there. Loved your post.

I'm HONORED that you wrote back, as it can be so hard to put yourself out there, right?

So many of us out on the trail are well over 55, and what I love about Camino Frances is that if you really run into a problem, help is accessible. Others around us lift us up--in thought, deed, and any number of kindnesses.

BUEN Camino, Geri!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not the people on Camino! The people at home...I was thinking of a few family members ;)

sorry, I misunderstood you.

I am all in Camino, prepare and think about it a large part of the day. When I read posts here I think they are all about Camino and in Camino, so please forgive me. Especially, English is not my language and some things I do not understand well.

Bota

I LOVED READING YOUR POST!!!
I returned to Canada on October 6 and I am going again this year too but not sure if August 25 like this year or earlier

Dan

I LOVED READING YOUR POST!!!
I returned to Canada on October 6 and I am going again this year too but not sure if August 25 like this year or earlier

Dan

Thanks so much, @Dan the Man ! I have not written on the forum, and used to write volumes before Camino, but since my return in mid November, I just could not. I needed to think, to rest, to process.

I am getting my "pen" back, so to speak!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good on you Camino Debrita. Hope to see you somewhere en el Camino. I will be on the lookout for all those fancy Camino de Santiago Forum patches out there (I have one on by Osprey Stratos 36 Pack). Feliz Navidad. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Good on you Camino Debrita. Hope to see you somewhere en el Camino. I will be on the lookout for all those fancy Camino de Santiago Forum patches out there (I have one on by Osprey Stratos 36 Pack). Feliz Navidad. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Drats, and foiled!

My tickets just got cancelled----I will have to rebook, but not today!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love point 4 re asking the waiter to choose. I will definitely try that I love my food. Enjoyed your post.

Terrific post Debrita! I loved number #1 (pertains to certain people in the family) I will walk in May/June and intending on doing a lot of letting go...
I went to my friend's house today (whom I just recently met) to watch her slide show of her Camino experience -- she is the one who introduced me to the idea of walking The Way. I had never really heard about it before. Once I heard what it was about and that she had done it I KNEW it was for me and that I had to do it. There has been no turning back since that moment. I got fitted for my boots yesterday - terrific salesperson - he helped me out quite a bit considering I didn't have a clue about what I was doing! I got my backpack last week and I have started doing some hikes with pack weight. So far so good! These forums have been so valuable and I am grateful for all who take the time to contribute. Buen Camino

Terrific post Debrita! I loved number #1 (pertains to certain people in the family) I will walk in May/June and intending on doing a lot of letting go...
I went to my friend's house today (whom I just recently met) to watch her slide show of her Camino experience -- she is the one who introduced me to the idea of walking The Way. I had never really heard about it before. Once I heard what it was about and that she had done it I KNEW it was for me and that I had to do it. There has been no turning back since that moment. I got fitted for my boots yesterday - terrific salesperson - he helped me out quite a bit considering I didn't have a clue about what I was doing! I got my backpack last week and I have started doing some hikes with pack weight. So far so good! These forums have been so valuable and I am grateful for all who take the time to contribute. Buen Camino
Angie, I am so happy that you will be going on Camino! A hint...drink a lot of water. I got a bit stubborn about it, and was neglectful of my body for two days--not drinking enough--and my feet got very swollen. You must drink a lot, so fluid can keep moving through and nourishing your body with what it needs. Also, keep that pack weight low. Heck with the 10 percent rule: try to carry just 15 pounds, if not less. You will not need a spork, You will not need three changes of clothing--just three changes of underwear! Pack weight low will help more than you can know. Buen Camino, darlin'!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Geri this is my first post too. Looks like we are both doing our first about the same time. I will be with my sister. Will look for you.lol

My mate David and I are starting from SJPDP on the 16th April Geri. Might see you on the track. Loved the vision and the honesty of this thread. Buen Camino Geri.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back