• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The defining moment ?

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
I am curious - was there a “defining moment” that made you decide to do the camino?

For example;

Was it a significant major event in your life that triggered the need to do the camino, like the death of a family member or close friend or a personal illness, etc

Or you read a book or saw a movie or met somebody that immediately inspired you to do the camino?

Or was it a life long need, a spiritual desire to undertake and fulfil a pilgrimage like the camino?

Or was it something else?

(I have posted this under the camino frances forum appreciating that many people but not all, undertake their first and maybe only pilgrimage on the camino frances)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally I had been living in Spain for a few years and had visited 'everywhere'. I had always said that I would love to one day do the camino but as one does when one says things, I didn't. Then, earlier this year, I decided to quit my job, write a second book and do another big trip. Hey presto the last major thing left for me to do in my adopted country and some potential inspiration landed at my feet. The camino. Best thing I ever did.

An article in (I think) the National Geographic twenty odd years ago about a walk from Le Puy to Santiago covering 1000 mls. It was in my head since then but I only got to walk in 2012 and from St. Jean. Magic.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My introduction to the Camino was quite "accidental". I had wanted to hike the GR 10 but while surfing the net for information I came upon a site about the Camino Francés. That's all it took. That was the defining moment. And from that day on I was sold. This was in February 2010. In March I became a forum member and in July I set off from SJPP.
And here I am going on 4 years and as many Caminos later.
The time was right.
And I continue to heed the call.

It was the prospect of another long dismal winter at home. So I looked for somewhere of interest to hike. I am slowly learning Spanish and am interested in Spanish culture. I have friends who have walked the camino. When my internet search triggered camino responses ... perfect. I went late in the season but it was still warmer and dryer than at home.

The other option was Bibbulmun track in Australia. Hot, buggy, and infested with snakes. The choice was easy. (okay ... maybe next year)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it was a perfect storm of things. Turning 60, empty nest (mother of one), and I hesitate to say, watching "The Way". I had never heard of the Camino de Santiago trail before seeing the movie. After hurricane Sandy I went to check on our tiny w/e house in the Poconos mountains. I went to the local Walmart to buy cleaning supplies and picked up a few DVD's from the $5 bin; "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Jackie Brown" and "The Way". I "hesitate" because there was quite a not-so-subtle negative attitude on the trail about being there because of the movie. It was something to hide and be embarrassed about. Pretty ridiculous. Who cares how or when you discover the Camino. Does it really matter? Anyway, I researched it, trained and left 10 months later for the Camino! It is part of me, and I it. I'm ready for more......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Those negative people against the film can bugger off as far as I'm concerned. As well as being a lovely little thing, the movie helped publicise the camino to a new market this increasing the footfall and thus helping the economy in the little towns. Long live whatEVER way you find out about it! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The other option was Bibbulmun track in Australia. Hot, buggy, and infested with snakes. The choice was easy. (okay ... maybe next year)
I haven't walked the Bibbulmun, but have done some other bush walking here in Australia. You don't have to walk it in the height of summer, but can choose a more pleasant time of year. And most snakes would be sensible enough to keep out of your way unless you see them a little way off and are deliberately trying to sneak up on them. I rarely see them if I am walking even when they are relatively slow in early spring or late autumn. That just leaves the bugs, and I have yet to hear of any serious adventurer being deterred by that alone:)

I had been vaguely aware of the camino, but was not a walker and would not even have given a thought to this activity ......... until my daughter invited me to join her in her ambition to walk the camino Frances. The invite was issued in 2012 to walk In 2013, her thirtieth year, and I accepted immediately without giving it a great deal of consideration. But before this we were to share another adventure so I did not give much thought to the camino until the end of 2012 when I started to do some research, which turned up 'The Way' and the book 'Horseshoes and Holy Water'. The initial plan was to walk a two or three week section, but then I was made redundant and had meanwhile discovered this camino forum, and the more I read, the more I wanted to walk the complete camino Frances. My daughter agreed and in mid-February I commenced training walks although I wasn't able to purchase any gear until mid March, for a start date of 16 April.

So my initial inspiration was the desire to share an adventure with my daughter, but the inspiration to take the adventure seriously came from this forum and all the helpful information so generously provided by experienced pilgrims who are prepared to share their knowledge and wisdom with people like me who know nothing about trekking of any description. And thanks to all the advice I found here we completed our camino from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterre without great mishap. It was a fabulous experience, way outside my comfort zone, and I still find it amazing that we completed such an incredible journey.

And like many other first timers, I am already planning my next camino, the Portuguese from Lisbon. And the next step outside my comfort zone will be to walk alone - something I would never have considered six months go.

Thanks one and all for your help and support!

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

I decided to do The Camino Primitivo this year because I am an "expert" in the Asturian language (almost extinct) and also in the Galician language. During my trip throughout the Asturian leg, I could realized (more or less) the degree of survival of that language . But in the end, I really felt the pilgrim spirit and fell in love with this wonderfull camino, that I recommend to everyone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My "defining moment" was the breakdown of my marriage last October. The Camino had been a lingering thought in my mind, something I'd often fancied doing. I think The Way hadn't long been released in the UK and it had (subtly) brought it to the front of my brain. When, to coin a phrase, sh*t happened I knew I needed to get away, my plans were to go and spend a few weeks parked off a beach on the west coast of Scotland, drinking whisky and having big fires. In the back of my mind I knew this was ultimately going to lead to some fairly (self)destructive behaviour, I still don't quite recall how it happened but I ended up flying to Spain the next day and walking the Camino in the clothes I stood up in. I'm pretty sure that decision saved my life.

I wonder, do those who found it because of "The Way" get made fun of more than those of us who found it thanks to Shirley MacLaine? :D

Or even John Brierley has his moments of metaphysical meandering.

I really don't think it matters. Doing the Camino is a pretty big investment in time, money and effort, it doesn't strike me as a frivolous thing to do. I met a lot of people doing it for a holiday and totally secular (as a few Aussies I met said, going to visit Jimmy), I met a lot of people doing it because they were searching for something. How you end up there is irrelevant. The fact is, you're there and that is the only important thing. You may be a dyed in the wool atheist and the most pragmatic person on the planet but you may meet someone on a quiet bit of road and say something totally irrelevant that means the world to them. Or maybe it'll happen the other way around.

For me, it was that the Camino kept coming up randomly and I took it as a sign that I needed to do it. My 40th birthday was looming, so I decided that was a good time to go. In June, my husband and I will be walking.

I had known about the Camino de Santiago for a long time, but a few years ago, seemed that out of nowhere I started seeing references to the Camino a lot. I read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and one of the characters walked the Camino. I was flipping through the channels randomly on a Sunday afternoon (which is rare for me) and I find Burt Wolf's episode on the Camino on PBS. The movie The Way came out. I was in Barnes and Noble and found a book about the Camino mis-shelved while looking for something else... Just random stuff, but it just kept popping up. It seemed to be a pattern.

I don't know why the Camino kept coming up when it hadn't before. Maybe there is a reason, something pointing me toward the Camino. Or maybe it is coincidence. Maybe it just wasn't really on my radar before, but then it got on my radar and I started noticing and assigning more meaning than is there - maybe the references were there all along, but I never noticed. I don't know. But I decided that IF something or someone is directing me to the Camino, I am going to listen - there might be a darned good reason for me to do the Camino. On the other hand, if these aren't signs, if there isn't a particular reason that I need to do this, then that is fine too. It seems like a good challenge and a good way to mark a milestone birthday - with or without any additional meaning. I am open to the experiences and will take what comes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do not care about meaning. I just go. Something just tells me to do it. Good enough for me. On the Camino, meaning is in some kind meaningless to me. Can't explain it, though.

But was there a defining moment that made you do your first camino in 2009 ?

Great thread Jirit!
I first heard of the Camino de Santiago when I read Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino' back around 2002. It was that book which made me take the first step towards the cliff. A number of Camino memoirs followed over the next several years.
However, the book that made me leap off the cliff and 'fly' was "The Year We Seized The Day" by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles, which I read in 2011. As soon as I finished the book I set in train plans which resulted in my Camino last year.
I'm heading back next year as an Hospitalera ... can't wait !!!
Cheers - Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is the question I had before I went out this summer and since I arrived home. What appear to be reasons, are wispy, cobweb-like strands in my mind that just disintegrate when I try to grab hold and make sense of them. The answer is I truely don't know why I did it. Even now. What I do know is that my mind is constantly processing what it would mean to do a second one.

I am curious - was there a “defining moment” that made you decide to do the camino?

In 2012, I was asked to give the Baccalaureate Address for my granddaughter's high school graduation. As I prepared, my main goal was to not embarrass her or humiliate myself, but I also took the gravity of the situation very much to heart. During the process of preparing, I considered the question of how we, in our society today, mark or celebrate the significant passages of our young as they grow and develop into adults. I considered, specifically, how I should help my granddaughter mark her passage from high school into college. During this time, I happened to see the movie "The Way". It struck me that her passage was only one step along life's pilgrimage. It struck me that, perhaps, taking her and her father to Spain to walk a pilgrimage might be a significant marker for her, for us, and leave a lasting impression on all of us. Thus, in June of 2012, my son, my granddaughter and I walked the Camino Ingles.

The first day was cold and wet. It drizzled on every step. At one point, my granddaughter turned to me, with tears streaming down her face, and indicated she didn't think she could go on... We assured her that we were only a few kilometers from where we would spend the night and a hot shower awaited her. She trudged onward. At the facility, we learned the hot water was out... she cried. Her father got on the internet and found another hotel only a few more kilometers along, and we assured her that if she would walk a little further, hot water awaited. She did, and it did...

That fall, my granddaughter entered the University of Tulsa as a freshman. Part of her scholarships included rowing for the Tulsa Women's Crew team. One morning that fall, I received a text from her that went: "We rowed this morning at 5:30 am. It was 29 degrees and hailing. If I had not done the Camino, I would not have persevered. Thank you."

That was not the defining moment in our decision to make the journey, but it was one of the moments that validated the decision...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow

Plenty of great posts

Never expected so many different wide ranging stories of what was the defining moment

Look forward to reading more...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow

Plenty of great posts

Never expected so many different wide ranging stories of what was the defining moment

Look forward to reading more...

On a church pilgrimage to Fatima and Lourdes last year (October 2012) one of the stops was at Santiago de Compostela. I had read nothing about it, and knew nothing about it, except that one of the priests at a nearby university had walked the Camino and wrote a book about it. (To the Field of Stars - Kevin A Codd). As I am a reluctant reader, I only read about 10 pages before we left. We arrived in Santiago in the evening and the next morning we were offered the opportunity to walk the last 5 km into the city and to the Cathedral. We arrived at Mont de Gozo just before sunrise and entered into town through a morning mist. I was enthralled! Later on during the trip, we could see pilgrims on the trail from our bus. Santiago was tightening his grip upon me. We were told that one could obtain the Compostela by walking the last 100 km of the trail; and some of the others in our group toyed with the idea of doing that. I returned home knowing that this was something I HAD to do, and that I would not be satisfied unless I attempted to start from SJPP. Others from our group continued with their daily lives and often speak of our pilgrimage in its entirety. But for me the most impressive part was that I HAVE to walk the Camino. I have been reading all I can about it, and have slowly been putting my kit together. I will walk in September 2014 and I think about it every day!

Last edited:
About two years I started looking into long-distance hikes, specifically in Europe, as I didn't think my back was up to carrying a 25kg backpack, which is what long-distance hiking in North America seems to invariably mean. I think I was starting to feel the first faint stirrings of mortality, and felt the need to do active things while I still could.

Anyway, the camino showed up on the various lists of popular hikes in Europe. At the time, it didn't seem the right fit for me - 4-5 weeks was more time then I really could spare, and from the descriptions, the camino was more walk than hike, so I decided on another destination(the Alta Via 1 in Northern Italy, which does have truly spectacular mountain scenery).

However, after booking the trip, something happened at work that made me feel I could no longer continue to work there. So, I decided that I would extend my time in Europe from the roughly 3.5 weeks I had originally planned on to the full 90 days allowed by immigration rules, which would end with my walking the camino. I hoped to be able to make with my life and the direction it was heading in.

For the record, the original plan was for August 2012, but in the end I went back in April 2013 to walk it.

I guess my "defining moment" came twice;

The first moment occurred back in 1993 while traveling around the world, my wife and I discovered this unique program in the town of Innsbruck called at that time The Innsbruck Club whereby you along dozens of other people were bused to some remote location. There we were guided up the side of mountain for the day, stopping at some mountain top chalet for lunch, and then guided back to another location and then bused back to town later that afternoon.

While eating lunch at one of these mountain top chalets I discovered it was quite possible to simple walk from chalet to chalet carrying no more than a simply over sized day pack - in fact with enough time and money one could simple walk across most of Europe this way. The idea of walking across Europe never left my mind.

At the time I knew nothing of the camino in Spain.

The second moment occurred 11 years later.

In late 2004 I came down with a rare syndrome that left me partially paralyzed, hospitalized and unable to walk or even hold a plastic cup of water in my hand. The good news was that I recovered quickly and within a few months, I walking again, granted not doing 800 km walks across Spain. It would take another year for me to fully recover.

However plans to travel to some exotic locations like Peru and Ecuador, got tossed out of the window, when the doctor suggested that I should not have vaccinations again, maybe for life, given what happened to me. He suggested we travel to someplace "safe" instead. He was vague about when I might be able to travel to more exotic locations if ever.

My wife and I had been keen to explore South America to soak up and experience the Spanish culture. Given the need to get vaccinations, this was now off limits for me at least for the next while. Nobody really knew how long.

Even though we had traveled to Europe on numerous occasions, we had never been to Spain.

So Spain was it and by then, I had heard of this thing called the camino, so after a little research, we decided it would be a grand plan to walk across Spain on the camino, unaware that this simple decision would lead to five more long distance pilgrim walks in the years to follow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Raechel,
We've always seemed to have so much in common...even back on the ol' forum Bootsnall about 7 years ago I thought we were friends that had never met...then to run into you here on the forum and realize we were on the Camino last year at the exact time was so strange especially taking into account that we both traveled from so far away to do the Camino.
I had shared that guys photos before I went I think on another forum, we exchanged an email or two as well...
The dog in the road (a Turkish Anatolian Shepard) looks EXACTLY like one of my dogs. When I found that photo I sent it to my hubby who was home with the kids. In the subject I wrote "Tell him to get out of the street and get his arse home"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby looked around the kitchen table wondering who was out and counted six kiddos before opening the email...there it was my Boo ("Istanboo") appearing on the Camino .
Man that guy took some wonderful pictures!!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started walking for fitness in 2010 and in summer saw an advert for the Camino. About six months later in early April 2011 I just done it on my own as a challenge and to see what effect it would have on me. You can see from my details what I have done since (also gr 10 and Stevenson Trail). All long distance walking has an effect on you whether it is a Camino or the Pyrénées, in fact the Pyrénees because less people and greater height was more rewarding. I feel my life was a lot more settled before I done any Camino but that was not necessarily a good thing. There are so many aspects to long distance walking that can change your life.

Now I want to spend long periods walking but not just Camino routes.

About six years ago we took our kiddos to Europe camping for a month. In Florence we met two twenty something old young men setting up a tent beside us. They both had just done a week or two on the Camino and told me about it. Instantly I was obsessed with having to do the Camino. I came home and researched. I mentioned it to my parents and my mom (now in her eighties) told me it has always been on her wish list. She shared that I had known about the Camino as a child, that while stationed in Germany my father and she took us everywhere to travel. She said that we were in Spain and that she would point out all of the pilgrims to me. I don't remember this BUT when I walked into O'Cebreiro on my Camino I remembered , as if a dream, having been there before. My mom can't confirm if I had...but I know I had...

Last June I got notice that a friend had lost her battle with cancer and within one minute my calender was in my hand and I was going over a departure date that would be about 7 weeks away. It just came to me...with not a sweat of worry I picked the date, called my hubby that I was going to do it and the next day went to REI and dropped some "do reh me ($$$)" on a lot of stuff...

That afternoon I was humming and unloading the car with all of my stuff and my hubby turned to my oldest child (young teen) and said, "whats up with mom and all of this stuff"...my son confidently said, "She TOLD US she was walking the Camino..."...
Hubby evidently didn't believe me and said, "she can't do that without me to carry her stuff etc..." ...giggles...

Seven weeks later I was there...
many asked, "are you worried about leaving six kids behind?" and I have to say it was as if I was gifted a bubble...I got to be in a protective bubble knowing all would be fine at home (and it was!). Hubby worked from home, kept his own wonderful blog of my adventures (and his) and everyone was alive and kicking when I got home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was def a journey to put myself back together after a particularly brutal year; my beautiful, strong grandson (age 1 and a half) was diagnosed unexpectedly with a very aggressive type of cancer and I had spent the last nine months (after quitting job, school) supporting my daughter as she supported him. Almost lost him twice as he went through some of the most agonizingly harsh treatments ever invented, and I guess the helplessness of watching two people so very very dear to me suffer so intensely while i stood by helplessly, kinda shredded me.

When a month opened up, after chemo and radiation was finished and he was in a stable place awaiting more therapy, I got all kinds of signs that she needed space. I was having a hard time not smothering them, so I thought of the camino, bought a ticket, packed and went.

I left lots of tears in lots of churches along the way, both for where we had been, where we might be going, and because I missed them so terribly, but I found the walking was just what I needed to do. Came back a little stronger for my family. Hope so anyways.

His health/life/prognosis is still up in the air, (scans in January) but instead of worrying, the camino taught me to take it a step at a time and have faith all will be well, whatever happens. When I first took him in my arms when I returned, I felt so purely glad and full of love for that perfect moment together. Thank you, Camino.

Given the state of grief I was traveling with and in, I felt the spiritual side of the camino very intensely. Therefore, I didn't feel like taking pictures or seeking out a good meal (though I loved and respected everyone else's state of mind on this), I just wanted to be in a constant state of prayer, not for a specific outcome for my grandson and daughter, but for general grace and strength and right action in the coming months and years as we continue to walk a metaphorical camino with this beautiful, sweet child with cancer.

Hoping no one minds reading my story again. Sorry for the ramble. It's always fun to share and creates a bit of reflection for me.

In 2004, I was getting ready to do the Inca Trail and met a wonderful young lady at a museum in Cuzco. We made friends, and I learned she had just finished studying Spanish for uni in Santiago, Chile. I had always thought of going to Chile. She spoke very highly of the culture, people, landscape. I was there!

One cold, rainy night 6 months later, I was having some wine w/chocolate. I decided to start researching Santiago, Chile for my next adventure. I was getting frustrated because I kept coming across this "Santiago" in Spain. I had already been to Spain. Personal journals, blogs, links, kept leading me back to Sanitago de Compostela. My thought was, "Who the hell would walk all that way?" I grew up walking all over the place and never considered such a trek. At best, I thought I might be able to do the Milford Track someday and nothing more.

A couple of weeks later on Christmas day, I wound up being on my own, snowed in with 2 Chihuahuas. I spent the entire day reading a Dutch woman's (Anita) journal she posted about her Camino. A roast, plenty of wine, and chocolate for all day. I've been hooked ever since.

My friends call me a "Camino Junkie". I like it. A healthy addiction.

I walked the Camino Frances in '05 and the Camino Norte in '10. I returned to SJPdP in '12 and walked to Muxia/Finisterre. I walk because I've found nothing as rewarding, spiritual, humbling, fun! Both wine and chocolate (in whatever form) are part of my daily Camino "routine". Both are easy to share with other peregrinos, even without words.

After that first walk, I said out loud to my legs in front of the cathedral, "I will never do this to you ever again." ha!

Defining moment on the first walk? I met a Dutch girl in the Pyrenees on that first day for a brief moment. Little did I know it would be the most impactful encounter of my life. A month later, we walked hand in hand into SdC. On another level and just as thought provoking for me was the day my Camino sister and I split up after nearly two weeks of walking. That first night and following days were heartbreaking for me because I missed her immensely. It came to me how I had not missed ANYONE in years. Then the real "pain" set in. For me, not a good way to live.

I will walk again the Camino Norte soon. I still have not made it to Santiago, Chile.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

In 2006 I was traveling in France, and ended up in the Youth Hostel in Cahors in a room with two other women. One of them was a Frenchwoman who had been walking for three weeks from Cahors. She spoke of the Chemin and the joy just radiated out of her. I was hooked already.... then next day I 'stumbled' on the Chemin route while out walking- it took me up a cliff and along to where I got this marvelous view down over the city of Cahors encircled by the River Lot. I continued and ended up walking beside fields dotted with many red poppies. I was thoroughly hooked.
Back in the youth hostel, the Frenchwoman had of course walked on, and I was left with an Englishwoman as my companion. She was talking about how dangerous the Frenchwoman's walk sounded- far too dangerous a thing to do on your own. But I already knew that one day I would be back in Cahors, walking this route.... and two years later, I was. It was the joy in the Frenchwoman's whole being that had captured me.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I, too, became aware of the Camino Frances while watching the movie The Way with my husband....many months ago. After seeing the film, I was compelled to learn more about the Camino Frances - compelled is the only word that seems right. I had left a career I loved a couple of years before, and still carried around that nagging sensation of uselessness that felt like rocks in my boots and in my heart. My defining moment was looking into my husband's eyes and telling my him shortly after seeing the film that I was planning to walk CF in 2014. As soon as I said it aloud; shared it, it became a reality. I am actively training and preparing
It's interesting to me, and hopefully to you, that upon making my decision which led to turning inward more so - I also found more passion and in turn success with my current career. My spiritual awareness has grown and taught me so much even though I haven't set foot on the path yet. Thanks to each you for sharing your stories here - they are a pleasure to read.

In mid July 2009, I had 3 life altering events take place in the span of one weeks time. For the next two years I was in limbo, just floating along with no real purpose, desire or passion which is extremely opposite of who I am. Being a Christian, I turned to God again and again, asking for a desire, a passion, something to keep me going. Fall of 2011 I started hearing about the movie "The Way". I think the fact that Martin Sheen was in it peeked my interest because I had met him back in my TV and Film days.

November of 2011 I purchased a wall calendar for 2012 "1000 places you should see before you die". I set the calendar aside until the new year.

Late March of 2012 I rented the movie from Red Box and after watching it, I new instantly that God had given me my desire and passion. The next month I was going through my calendar marking special occasions. When I turned the page to July, it was all about 'The Way of Saint James". I was literally tripping out. I couldn't believe the confirmation.

The next day, I went into my Managers office and explained to her my goals and that I was asking in advance the month of September and half of October 2013 off. I would have to save 2 years of PTO and take 2 weeks leave no pay. She and my supervisors said, if you can save the time we will support you. So, I worked 2 jobs, didn't miss a single minute from work, became a member of this forum, slept, ate and drank nothing but Camino de Santiago until September 1, 2013 when I literally slept, ate and drank the Camino.

The hardest thing was saving my PTO, for me not taking a vacation for 2 years was agony. Was it worth it?? You betcha...every 800 kilometer step of "The Way". Thank you God, we made it.
Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 897.JPG

My story is not as dramatic nor as poignant as many of these posts. In 1971, I was a college student in Madrid as a Junior-Year-Abroad student. I took a class, Historia del Arte Espanol, and I learned about romanesque art and the Camino de Santiago. It sort of struck a chord. But then I left Spain and didn't return till 1995 when I came with my whole family on a sabbatical year in Madrid. On some hiking trips we met a woman who had walked the Camino, which was then in its total infancy, at least as far as modern times go. I made a mental note and decided I would walk it some day.

In 2000, I turned 50 and decided I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. So I walked the Camino. And then I was hooked. I have walked every year since then except for one and am hoping to walk for many more years.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me it was a perfect storm of things. Turning 60, empty nest (mother of one), and I hesitate to say, watching "The Way". I had never heard of the Camino de Santiago trail before seeing the movie. After hurricane Sandy I went to check on our tiny w/e house in the Poconos mountains. I went to the local Walmart to buy cleaning supplies and picked up a few DVD's from the $5 bin; "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Jackie Brown" and "The Way". I "hesitate" because there was quite a not-so-subtle negative attitude on the trail about being there because of the movie. It was something to hide and be embarrassed about. Pretty ridiculous. Who cares how or when you discover the Camino. Does it really matter? Anyway, I researched it, trained and left 10 months later for the Camino! It is part of me, and I it. I'm ready for more......
I just love Fried Green Tomatoes!!! I too watched The Way .... in fact I watched it with my husband and a good friend ... I discovered later unfortunately that "that good friend" and my husband were "very good friends !!". It's been a year today since my husband left me .... I've heard that miracles happen on the Camino. It's not a miracle I'm after so much .... I just want to get back to the person I used to be and I'm looking forward to doing something for myself for the first time really in 27 years. From what I've learned on this forum, this is something for you and you alone .... I hope you get back there one day. .... Cheers Trish.

On a church pilgrimage to Fatima and Lourdes last year (October 2012) one of the stops was at Santiago de Compostela. I had read nothing about it, and knew nothing about it, except that one of the priests at a nearby university had walked the Camino and wrote a book about it. (To the Field of Stars - Kevin A Codd). As I am a reluctant reader, I only read about 10 pages before we left. We arrived in Santiago in the evening and the next morning we were offered the opportunity to walk the last 5 km into the city and to the Cathedral. We arrived at Mont de Gozo just before sunrise and entered into town through a morning mist. I was enthralled! Later on during the trip, we could see pilgrims on the trail from our bus. Santiago was tightening his grip upon me. We were told that one could obtain the Compostela by walking the last 100 km of the trail; and some of the others in our group toyed with the idea of doing that. I returned home knowing that this was something I HAD to do, and that I would not be satisfied unless I attempted to start from SJPP. Others from our group continued with their daily lives and often speak of our pilgrimage in its entirety. But for me the most impressive part was that I HAVE to walk the Camino. I have been reading all I can about it, and have slowly been putting my kit together. I will walk in September 2014 and I think about it every day!
Ditto ... will be walking in September .... and can't stop thinking about it. I'm excited and fearful all at the same time. Maybe I'll see you there! Cheers Trish

I don’t recall when exactly I first heard about the Camino de Santiago, except that it was several years ago, before The Way came out.

In 2010 I went to south-west Australia to visit my relatives there, most of whom I had not set eyes on for over forty years. A cousin and I went trekking along the Cape to Cape Track, and we got talking about our mutual love of walking. My cousin mentioned the Camino and we spoke seriously of the possibility of walking it together at some point. Two years later, with my 60th birthday approaching, I found myself at a significant turning point; I needed to get away, and I wanted to test myself physically. I considered several options, the Camino being one of them. Also round about that time I came across the quotation “Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther” (Thomas Carlyle). I can’t really explain it – perhaps it had something to do with what I was dealing with - but somehow I made a spiritual connection with those words, and the Camino screamed out to me. Seven months later (this past spring), along with two of my Aussie cousins, I was on the Francés.

Now, not a day goes by that I don’t yearn to be back on the Camino. At the very first opportunity, I will be off again like a shot.

……… actually, to be brutally honest, the real defining moment for me was when I learned that there would be a bed and a hot shower at the end of the day…:oops:...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great thread Jirit!
I first heard of the Camino de Santiago when I read Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino' back around 2002. It was that book which made me take the first step towards the cliff. A number of Camino memoirs followed over the next several years.
However, the book that made me leap off the cliff and 'fly' was "The Year We Seized The Day" by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles, which I read in 2011. As soon as I finished the book I set in train plans which resulted in my Camino last year.
I'm heading back next year as an Hospitalera ... can't wait !!!
Cheers - Jenny
What a great book. Thanks for the recommendation Jenny.
Annie

What a great book. Thanks for the recommendation Jenny.
Annie
Cheers Annie - my pleasure.
Another GREAT book is Ailsa Piper's 'Sinning Across Spain'. Ailsa took on the medieval practice of walking off the sins of friends and acquaintances - the Seven Deadlies were a speciality! It was a terrific book with some wonderful insights. "The Year ..." and "Sinning ..." are my No. 1 and No. 2 favourite Camino books.

Interesting question.......... Because I realise I am 'lost'.
I guess I was searching for something that would help bring meaning to my life.

I seemed to have lost touch in the last 20 years. Prior to that I had a clear sense of purpose, of duty and meaning. Of achievement, of doing something that helped others. Long story that I won't go into. The last 20 years I seem to have drifted.

I have been totally focussed on my business, from a start up to being outwardly at least, successful. What did that give me? A failed 1st marriage, lack of connection with my kids (now grown up), lack of time with my current wife, (she sees me about 20 hours a week), and a sense that this is all going nowhere and it's pointless.

So I'm hoping, that the Way...............will give me a new sense of direction and connection. With myself, with those around me, with my best friend (my wife) and who knows, maybe with God. Big ask, huh ? :)

And I'm sorry to say, it all came about from watching the Martin Sheen movie. I had never heard of the Camino before that.

It just clicked. The right story and message at the right time. And it was something I had to do. And to my great joy, my wife Pat had the same feeling and wants to go with me! I can't wait for us to have some genuine time together, on this joint 'exploration'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Robo and Pat -
Our defining moments for deciding to do the Camino are all so varied - as you can see from the posts in this thread - but 'The Way' has been the most amazing conduit for spreading the magic of the Camino - worldwide - from Bundeena to Bristol, from Victoria to Vladivostock! I really believe that Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez were looking at the 'bigger picture' when they first planned this movie, many years ago now. Last year on the Camino I met several pilgrims who had decided to go on pilgrimage purely on the basis that the movie opened a 'door' for them and since I returned to Australia I know of many more who plan to do the same, thanks to 'The Way'.
You'll both get SO much from the Camino ... time to process all that's gone before ... time to put the past in the past ... time to focus on the present and make plans for the future ... all the time just putting one step in front of the other ... it's SO easy and SO completely wonderful! You won't be sorry!
Cheers - Jenny

Really looking forward to it! And going with an open mind and no firm expectations.

One of the best videos on the Camino I have seen to date, is this one.
Very honest and open about why he did it, what he felt along the way etc. Well worth watching and very well made. And very 'Australian' attitude. 'Let's give it a go'.
And.....he carried 18kg with all his video gear! Quite inspiring.....

You get a sense of his 'style' from the first minute and it draws you in.

I heard about the Camino Francés from a friend/colleague of mine who had decided to leave full time employment and take a 8 month long sabatical. A friend of hers had already planned to do the Camino from Astorga onwards the following month, and invited her to join. At the time I thought it sounded like a great opportunity, but it seemed such a luxury (time, time away from family and obligations, a whole year's worth of annual leave - just to walk from Astorga!). I was cracking under pressure from my day to day life, I knew I wanted to do it, but a misguided sense of loyalty pushed it to the back of my mind.

She came back from her "walk", 6kg lighter in body, but infinitely lighter in spirit, and dragged us all to the boardroom for a slide show of her pictures. 2 hours in, the audience had dwindled to me and one other. She told us how she thought she couldn't go any further, but pushed herself as she thought that there would be a village just on the other side of the woods, just to be faced with a mountain. She related how she felt completely and utterly defeated, let her pack slide from her shoulders, and she just lay down on the ground. She joked, saying "Here, jy kan my nou kom vat" (Lord, you can come fetch me now), but I was crying. In fact, I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it, and it is more than a year later. 7 months after that slide show, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed (only took so long because I didn't want to acknowledge that I needed help).

I smile when people say "the Way provides"... A year after first meeting my psychologist, I needed help again, so I went back to my psychologist. It was in that session that he asked me if there was anything in the world that I wanted to do, that would be just for me, and the next two worlds just slipped out: The Camino. Initially, he looked a bit surprised, then gave a little chuckle. I then found out that he had walked the Camino Francés. Not once, but twice. He and my husband have been my support team to get to this point. My kids have been great too, provided I promised to bring them souvenirs from Paris (why Paris??).

It was after this that I watched The Way. I recalled seeing the DVD a few years earlier being sold at a local music shop, but the description didn't grab me (granted, I did only look at the front cover...). I've since bought it (had to order it online, should have bought it when I had a chance), and have watched it about 6 times, with my husband, and with the kids. every time they get to that last hill, where the two pilgrims look across to Santiago, I start crying, and I cry right up to when they get their Compostella's. My favourite character is Joost. I hope to meet a few like him along the way.

The downside was that I had to explain that I was not going to do something silly and die on the mountain, so I made Daniel sound like a complete tot for going what was CLEARLY the WRONG direction (just to put them at ease, I am aware of the dangers on the mountain specifically), and promise not to lose my pack because their Eiffel Tower snow globes will be in there (shhhhhh, I'll only get that on the way back).

In a nutshell, after first hearing of the Camino, I knew I wanted to do it, but it took some further divine intervention to actually start me on the way... To The Way... Which, by the way... I'll be walking through May... :D

And then there was this book...
a-food-lover-s-pilgrimage-to-santiago-de-compostela.jpg

Yum.
Yum.
Yum.

In January 2012, I was six months away from my 70th birthday. I was getting old really fast, losing confidence in myself and finding myself afraid to do so many of the things I loved to do. I was sliding very quickly into becoming an old woman. Then I saw the film “The Way”. By the time I walked out of the theater, I knew I was going to do it, I was going to Spain and walk as far as I could. In the days that followed, the doubts set in and I told myself I was crazy for even thinking of doing something like the Camino. Only, it didn’t let go. Somehow I knew that if I didn’t go, I would regret it forever and my life would basically be over. I can honestly say the Camino was calling me and I couldn’t drown out the call. I had dreamed for years of doing a long trek somewhere. This was it..this was my dream. Mind you, I had never been east of Colorado or on an airplane for more than 4 hours...ever!

So, on Sept. 11, 2012, I found myself walking out of St. Jean Pied de Port, uphill into the greatest adventure of my life. And it saved my life! And I’m going back in May 2014 to walk all the way to Finisterre! Buen Camino! And thank you AnnieSantiago!

I first heard about the Camino sitting in church in the spring of 2001. A recent college grad was being commissioned by the parish for her pilgrimage. I thought -- "Wow, a spiritual journey and a long distance walk, all rolled into one!" Then my daughter did the Camino in the fall after her college graduation in 2009. Following her postings and vicariously living her journey instilled a painful longing to walk the Camino. And I wasn't getting any younger. And I hating working long hours and long weeks. I had to do something. I needed to find balance. I believed deep inside that the Camino would help. And, oh my, it has. I haven't been able to do it in one go, due to limits on vacation. I missed walking in 2013 for a variety of reasons and my family would report (I think) that I should have gone walking. But I'm slowly getting to Santiago. And I *will* do it again, this time in one go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In January 2012, I was six months away from my 70th birthday. I was getting old really fast, losing confidence in myself and finding myself afraid to do so many of the things I loved to do. I was sliding very quickly into becoming an old woman. Then I saw the film “The Way”. By the time I walked out of the theater, I knew I was going to do it, I was going to Spain and walk as far as I could. In the days that followed, the doubts set in and I told myself I was crazy for even thinking of doing something like the Camino. Only, it didn’t let go. Somehow I knew that if I didn’t go, I would regret it forever and my life would basically be over. I can honestly say the Camino was calling me and I couldn’t drown out the call. I had dreamed for years of doing a long trek somewhere. This was it..this was my dream. Mind you, I had never been east of Colorado or on an airplane for more than 4 hours...ever!

So, on Sept. 11, 2012, I found myself walking out of St. Jean Pied de Port, uphill into the greatest adventure of my life. And it saved my life! And I’m going back in May 2014 to walk all the way to Finisterre! Buen Camino! And thank you AnnieSantiago!

That is a beautiful example, and very brave from you coming from so far away... I was very moved by your story, congratulations on your next camino too!!!

That is a beautiful example, and very brave from you coming from so far away... I was very moved by your story, congratulations on your next camino too!!!
Thank you Amanico! What a nice thing to say.

It was def a journey to put myself back together after a particularly brutal year; my beautiful, strong grandson (age 1 and a half) was diagnosed unexpectedly with a very aggressive type of cancer and I had spent the last nine months (after quitting job, school) supporting my daughter as she supported him. Almost lost him twice as he went through some of the most agonizingly harsh treatments ever invented, and I guess the helplessness of watching two people so very very dear to me suffer so intensely while i stood by helplessly, kinda shredded me.

When a month opened up, after chemo and radiation was finished and he was in a stable place awaiting more therapy, I got all kinds of signs that she needed space. I was having a hard time not smothering them, so I thought of the camino, bought a ticket, packed and went.

I left lots of tears in lots of churches along the way, both for where we had been, where we might be going, and because I missed them so terribly, but I found the walking was just what I needed to do. Came back a little stronger for my family. Hope so anyways.

His health/life/prognosis is still up in the air, (scans in January) but instead of worrying, the camino taught me to take it a step at a time and have faith all will be well, whatever happens. When I first took him in my arms when I returned, I felt so purely glad and full of love for that perfect moment together. Thank you, Camino.

Given the state of grief I was traveling with and in, I felt the spiritual side of the camino very intensely. Therefore, I didn't feel like taking pictures or seeking out a good meal (though I loved and respected everyone else's state of mind on this), I just wanted to be in a constant state of prayer, not for a specific outcome for my grandson and daughter, but for general grace and strength and right action in the coming months and years as we continue to walk a metaphorical camino with this beautiful, sweet child with cancer.

Just updating for all my camino friends, my sweet, beautiful grandson joined the angels Friday Dec 20 at 8 in the morning. He was on hospice and at home in a beautiful bed overlooking the ocean when he died, and it was peaceful, after lots of travail. But I miss him so already.

The camino was and is such a help, I feel it brought me the strength I need to be strong for my family, tho most times I really have no idea what to do with this grief...how to act, what to say. One foot in front of the other. That's all I know. Utreya!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For myself the decision was more of a gradual movement. For years I've been simply coasting through life. Yes, I've got a good job and supportive friends/family, but there are days where I just feel a mix of sadness & anger at everyone & everything. Yet I did not know how to go about getting into a better place mentally. I tried quite a few different activities over the years and found some which is very fulfilling, but still it was not enough. Then a close friend of mine walked from Leon to Finisterre in July as part of her European holiday. When she recounted her experiences afterwards, I found myself with a strange yearning for something which I was as yet unable to define. Throughout the following months whenever we would meet up, I'd find myself questioning her about her Camino experience and we would end up talking about it for hours on end.

Finally I made the decision to go. I had quite some leave build up (been 4 years since I've taken a break) and now I'll be heading out on my very own pilgrimage from SJPP end April 2014. I'm looking very much forward to simply getting up each day (with no deadlines/crisis management/meetings looming ahead) and just walk while conversing with God, myself and like-minded people, whilst searching for that ineffable feeling/experience which will hopefully bestow a calm acceptance and/or purpose to this rat race we call life.

Just updating for all my camino friends, my sweet, beautiful grandson joined the angels Friday Dec 20 at 8 in the morning. He was on hospice and at home in a beautiful bed overlooking the ocean when he died, and it was peaceful, after lots of travail. But I miss him so already.

The camino was and is such a help, I feel it brought me the strength I need to be strong for my family, tho most times I really have no idea what to do with this grief...how to act, what to say. One foot in front of the other. That's all I know. Utreya!

So very sorry to hear your sad news homa_bird. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.
Jenny x

I haven't walked the Bibbulmun, but have done some other bush walking here in Australia. You don't have to walk it in the height of summer, but can choose a more pleasant time of year. And most snakes would be sensible enough to keep out of your way unless you see them a little way off and are deliberately trying to sneak up on them. I rarely see them if I am walking even when they are relatively slow in early spring or late autumn. That just leaves the bugs, and I have yet to hear of any serious adventurer being deterred by that alone:)
Totally agree with you dougfitz......

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And then there was this book...
a-food-lover-s-pilgrimage-to-santiago-de-compostela.jpg

Yum.
Yum.
Yum.
I also have this book....it was a gift for me from my Exhusband not long after I returned from my Camino this past June.....a beautiful and inspiring book indeed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It has been a while since I checked in on this post. The strength of the human spirit revealed here is awe-inspiring. I will keep a link to this post for the next time I get asked, why in the world do you want to spend a month walking with everything on your back and sleeping in those dirty albergues.... My usual answer is "duh, you just have to do it and then you'll see." But this is much more eloquent. I know "thanks for sharing" sounds kind of trite, but I can't think of a better way to say it! Buen camino, Laurie

My deepest condolences to you and your daughter, homa_bird. I hope 2014 brings some comfort to your family.

Helen

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I may have read this quote here - or heard it along the way....
"you don't find the camino, the camino finds you"
It makes sense to me when I'm trying to put into words what drew me to the camino.

In 2003, while travelling in Spain and Portugal by car, my former husband and I visited a monastery that we saw from the road. While there, a peregrino arrived. I had no idea who he was or what he was doing but the way the monks welcomed him moved me deeply. Eventually, I learned about the Camino but didn't think it could be part of my life experience. In my (probably flawed) memory, the pilgrim was tall, lean and ascetic; dressed in sackcloth and sandals, no doubt.

Imagine my surprise a few years later when one of my Facebook friends posted photos from her Camino! If Gina can do it.... Not long after that, my boss noticed I had 7-8 weeks of accumulated vacation and I had better do something about that. What to do? Most vacation options are a lot less fun as a singleton. Then I remembered the Camino. I could use up almost 6 weeks that way! My boss was delighted. Once that possibility surfaced, Camino references kept appearing. By the time "The Way" was announced, my planning and training were well underway. My Camino Francés last spring gave me more than I could have imagined. I could hardly wait to return. And I did this fall. But that is a topic for a different thread.

Thank you for asking this question, jirit. I have loved reading the responses.

Helen

Hello homa_bird

My please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family. It is obviously a very difficult and sad time. We all appreciate your courage and strength to share this tragic news.

Our prayers are with you.

Warm regards

Neville

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

homa_bird, There are no words to convey to you the sadness I am feeling after reading your post. My throat is tight with tears as I write this. I hope that just knowing there are so many on this forum sharing your pain, even in a small way, helps lighten your spirit just a little. One hour at a time, one day at a time, one foot in front of the other..

Peace to you and to your family
Patty

Greetings to all!

In June of 2012 I was on a transport bus from the Newark, New Jersey Airport to Manhattan, New York. I was seated next to a young Brazilian man. He was showing me pictures of his beautiful wife. I told him I had lost my husband to cancer four months before and was traveling to New York to visit my daughter. He told me I needed to go on a pilgrimage to Santiago. I asked, "Santiago, Chile?" He said, no, somewhere in Spain; he had seen a movie about it. He thought that was something I should do.

Somehow that conversation planted a seed in my heart. I did some research and now have definite plans to walk part of it in June, 2014.

I want to walk the whole route from SJPDP but have a friend who wants to go and she can only go for ten days. (My sister and her husband may walk the whole route with me in September, 2015.) I really want to walk through the Pyrenees. She wants to do the last part to SdC. Does this plan make sense: Start in Astorga or Ponferrada, walk to SdC, then train or bus to Pamplona or Roncesvalles and walk east to SJPDP? She also wants to go to Lourdes, France and then on to Paris.

This forum is a true blessing. Thanks to all for their advice. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back