• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The health benefits of walking

peregrina2000

Staff member
In case you're looking for an extra justification for your self-indulgent long walks on the Camino, researchers at my university have just finished a study that found that walking for 40 minutes three times a week "improved the connectivity of specific brain networks in older adults." And that in turn means improved cognitive functions in areas that otherwise decline with age.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/10/0826walk.html

So just imagine how well connected our brain networks are after walking 800 km in 5 weeks or so!

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:D One or two glasses of wine per day seem to be good for health. One or two bottles, though?? :D

Here's to being well connected. Funny, any other place this would have a completely different meaning. :wink: We can call it Camino Code.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, Falcon, you're just a party-pooper. Always the one with the scientific answer. I bet you even can draw a diagram of my brain connections.

Well, how about this rationale -- if I walk excessively and drink wine excessively, the bad effects of both will cancel each other out and I'll be left with a healthy heart and well connected brain.

Maya, love that camino code. Laurie

Off to Vezelay on Monday. So much for taking my own advice on moderation! A half-bottle of wine with dinner seems appropriate. I am not sure what to do about moderating stage distances. I guess they are what they are.

I will see whoever is in Pamplona on October 28 if you are wearing your Forum badge. My older brother, both French and Spanish language impaired, will stay in Spain through November. Ah, retirement.

Of course, I have a new pain, this one in my right ankle, so I am making last minute adjustments to boots and insoles. Fortunately, they all are broken-in, so I know the friction spots. Compeed, here I come. Right knee. Left ankle. Right ankle. The left knee was "scoped" a few years back, and it seems healthiest.

Aarn pack. Pacer poles. Vasque trail running shoes (likely). New Balance insoles (likely). Tilley hat. Altus poncho. No sleeping bag or mat. Permethrin treatment. Olympus Stylus 1200. iPhone, unlocked. Orange cell service if I can make it through their screening. "Northern route" out of Vezelay.

Bon chemin

walking, wine, and REST I think comprise the main ingredients in great brain connectivity. That is why Falcon and the rest of youse guys are welcome at The Peaceable when you find yourself out on the Meseta. You can walk here, we´ll split a bottle (or two), and everyone can rest. The last pilgrim who rested here slept 19 hours straight, even without the wine!

His brain worked much better after.

Reb.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One advantage of being a solo pilgrim for several weeks last year was that I got given a whole bottle of wine with my menu. I felt much better for it.

Go well,

Andy

Everything in moderation andy - a demi caraffe always managed for me the job of rounding off dinner (and ensuring a good night's sleep) And if not on the menu, then there was always the pleasure of finding someone pleasant and personable to share the bottle with me!

looking fwd to my next camino - hope to tackle the C Mozarabe in Mar/Apr

Peter

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good luck Falcon . . . you've got the gear. . . . enjoy your camino.

I guess you have left all plastic bottles at home!! (Haha . . sorry, couldn't resist) :lol:
Buen camino.

Enjoy the Vezelay path. The first few days you will amble through very isolated forest type paths. They were quite overgrown when I went through in July last year - will be interested to hear what they are like now. You will find some wonderful refuges along this way - enjoy. Buen Camino Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
jl said:
Enjoy the Vezelay path. The first few days you will amble through very isolated forest type paths... You will find some wonderful refuges along this way - enjoy. Buen Camino Janet

I second this; I walked this year, starting in early May. Make sure you have the excellent guidebook by Chassain sold by the Amis in Vezelay - the maps are very good. Be aware that many villages have no shop and that water is always available in cemetaries.

Bon courage!

I forgot to mention Falcon, that a woman - Yvonne - from our lovely Adelaide Hills, and a good friend, begins her walk on the Vezelay path on Saturday 18th. She is only going as far as Periguex. Who knows, you may even bump into her. Bon Route, Janet

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.