• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the joys of shins

trinencadian

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
Hi all!

My camino is coming up mid-April (yay!) and I’m starting my training. I noticed that my light hikers (low cut) don’t fit as well as they used to ever since I got fitted with orthotics this past summer – I guess my feet changed. So I’m giving my heavier hikers (high cut) a try. They fit better but I have noticed that I periodically get this itchy starburst like pain in one of my shins (not shin splints as I've had those before and know what that feels like!). I have never had this before, can’t find anything online about it, and so was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this while trying hiking shoes. I guess I’m trying to figure out if I should abandon these shoes and go hunting for a new pair…

-T

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Trinecadian,

Consider buying another pair of your light hikers in a bigger size. You not only have to ensure that they are comfortable with your orthotics, but remember that your feet will swell as you add miles to your trek. I would shy away from boots simply because the weight of your pack shouldn't be more than 12-15 lbs. so you would not need heavy duty footwear, nor the blisters that come with the boots!! :D
My shoe preference is the Inov-8 Roclite 295. Absolutely love them and use them for backpacking up in the mountains for day on end. Love them!
Hope this helps!

Buen Camino!

Mary

Hi Mary!

I did end up getting new shoes. They are boots but they are incredibly light - the ecco hikers made from yak leather. The soles are vibram and the leather is “hydromax”. I’ve been wearing them every day, even at the office, to get them broken in and so far so good!

I looked up your shoe – it looks pretty awesome. I want a pair now… :oops:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Trinecadian,

That is great that you found a pair of boots you like and that they are not too heavy. I looked them up and see that they're pretty flexible and well cushioned. 30 ounces is not bad at all for boots.
The Inov8 Roclite 295 are a great pair of trekking shoes for me and at about 20 ounces a pair it's pretty comfortable and like I mentioned before -never have had any blisters on any long backpacking trips. Inov8 also has a boot called the Roclite 286 which are a bit lighter than my shoes. Enough said about my shoes! :D
I wish you a great Camino. Which are you doing?

Mary

Thanks, Mary! I'm doing the Frances - SJPDP to Fisterra in 40 days is my goal. I start in just under 4 weeks! :shock:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.