• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Two "Chickentown" Paradores

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Because age and infirmity are finally about to limit my ability to walk cross country, I'm thinking of significantly upgrading the places I stay next year, and just --- quite decadently --- indulging myself!

I've walked many of the various principal Camino routes (since 1977), but I've never stayed in a Parador, anywhere. Now I'm tempted to do just that --- at least once! The two very famous Paradores in Leon and SdeC are waaaay out of my price range, unfortunately --- diocesan clergy don't retire rich, alas! --- but I'm thinking that there are two attractive and very much more reasonably priced Paradores in "Chickentown" --- Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Anyone want to suggest why I should prefer one of them over the other?

BTW --- The last time I passed through Santo Domingo de la Calzada I enjoyed a brief-but-very-nice chat on the promenade with Forum member Sparrow in Texas. I pray that she is well and happy!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
- but I'm thinking that there are two attractive and very much more reasonably priced Paradores in "Chickentown" --- Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Anyone want to suggest why I should prefer one of them over the other?
I have stayed in the one next to the 'chicken' Church.
Very nice, great food too!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have stayed in that one but found it soulless. There is a cathedral like central hall just past reception with stairs to the rooms off to the left. It's OK if you like cathedrals.

I told my wife I was staying in a "budget hotel" - but failed to mention the budget.

Zafra one was much nicer. Or you could try the one at Muxia which, from a distance, looks like some sort of Bond villain's lair.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 100
About 25 years ago when my husband and were touring Spain by car we stayed in a corner suite overlooking the freestanding cathedral tower. At that time there was only one parador open in Santo Domingo de Calzada. All was splendid.

For earlier posts re Paradors and the camino
see this thread

During 450 camino nights I have never wished to break the simple pilgrimage mood in any lavish way. The only time I even entered a Parador as a pilgrim was a cold March day in 2007 in Leon.

Wearing my pilgrim winter garb I brazenly visited the super deluxe San Marcos Parador which was built as a pilgrims' shelter/hospital 12th/16th c.

Greeted at the door by a tres chic maitre de who said Madame? I asked in French if I might visit their famous cloister garden. He answered that I might circumnavigate the space but must not enter it. Thus I slowly walked and photographed while he watched!!

After viewing the unique garden I treated myself to a thick hot chocolate in their morning café before returning to the more basic realities of the Caravajal albergue for a much needed siesta.

My stays in Paradores have been at Ferrol, SDC and Villafranca del Bierzo. I stayed at Ferrol and SDC when there was a special for older people on their Amigos Program.

The stay at Villafranca was a different story. My wife had wanted to stay at the Hostel de los Reyes Catolicos, but it was booked out when we were likely to arrive. The next place available was the Parador de Villafranca de Bierzo. It is a relatively modern building, with delightfully appointed rooms and great food. It did not quite break the bank, but was worth it.

I know this doesn't help with choosing a place in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, but to share my view that staying at a Parador is something to look forward to at least once in a pilgrim's lifetime.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have stayed in both, my favorite was Fresneda. I had a small very comfortable room which was just enough, not too much. The church was in process of being restored, quite beautiful. I felt more atmosphere there than in the “chicken church“ parador.
For a special experience go to San Millan de la Cogolla, I have been there twice, staying in the monestery. One night was a real gift, the Royal Suite. Another night was in a modest room with a glorious view of the mountains.
It is nice to plan a special treat once in awhile!

@rappahannock_rev I've been lucky enough to stay in both paradors in Santo Domingo (sharing the cost). I prefer the Fresneda, but the one next to the Cathedral is also great.

I was not excited by the Parador in Villafranca; it was OK but being a modern building did not have the history I associate with paradors.

Not a parador, but it looks equally luxurious, is the Hotel Real Monasterio San Zollo in Carrion de los Condes. Right on the Camino as you walk out of town. I've not stayed there, but want to.

We have stayed at the one by the church in Santo Domingo 3 times. It used to be a pilgrim hospital. Very nice. Big bathtub. Food good. You usually get a discount as a pilgrim on lodging and food so call ahead and ask and show your credential. Usually some who speaks English is available on the reservation line. It is still pricey compared to an albergue. Last summer we paid 75 euros for our room. They have specials so your rate may be more or less.

They have a good breakfast buffet but it is pricey. You have to give a time that you will eat breakfast and they check you off the list when you arrive. Your table is set for the number in your party. It is right on the Camino, too. Laundromat nearby. Plenty of other places to eat and grocery store not far to stock up for the next day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because age and infirmity are finally about to limit my ability to walk cross country, I'm thinking of significantly upgrading the places I stay next year, and just --- quite decadently --- indulging myself!

I've walked many of the various principal Camino routes (since 1977), but I've never stayed in a Parador, anywhere. Now I'm tempted to do just that --- at least once! The two very famous Paradores in Leon and SdeC are waaaay out of my price range, unfortunately --- diocesan clergy don't retire rich, alas! --- but I'm thinking that there are two attractive and very much more reasonably priced Paradores in "Chickentown" --- Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Anyone want to suggest why I should prefer one of them over the other?

BTW --- The last time I passed through Santo Domingo de la Calzada I enjoyed a brief-but-very-nice chat on the promenade with Forum member Sparrow in Texas. I pray that she is well and happy!
It has been 20 plus years since I stayed in the SD dl Calzada, so my comments would be extremely out of date. However do join the Parador Amigos club which will entitle you to a discount on meals and drinks at all Paradors even if you are not staying at them. Also when you book look for the Golden years discount for over 55s' this also has the benefit of including breakfast for free.
My vote for a reasonable priced Parador would be Chinchon just South of Madrid. It is a converted Convent with a good Comidor (restaurant) The parador is adjacent to the rather unique small Plaza Major. Which is used for a local market and bull fighting. There a restaurants facing the square you can have a table on the galleried balconies overlooking the square and people watch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve had several walk-up deals in March and April for less than $55US, once at the parador in Pontevedra and once at the San Zoilo Monastery outside Carrion. Both times I asked for their best pilgrim rate and told them I was on a tight budget but wanted to experience their beautiful facility. Don’t know if it had any influence, but I thought the rates were great for the accommodations.

Not a parador, but it looks equally luxurious, is the Hotel Real Monasterio San Zollo in Carrion de los Condes. Right on the Camino as you walk out of town. I've not stayed there, but want to.
Spent an indulgent night @ the San Zoilo in Sept 2019. Worth every penny, absolutely loved it, and it's absolutely on my list for next year.... (Even if it doesn't feature singing nuns!)

At the other end of the spectrum, I might also try to stay @ the albergue San Anton! Seriously considered it several times -- especially back in 2015, when my friend Sillydoll was serving there -- but each time passed on to Castrojeriz. Mistakes, in hindsight.... It really looks to be a strange and wonderful sort of place.

Last edited:
We have not (yet) stayed in a parador and we haven't stayed at this place either but there is a hotel in León attached to the Basilica de San Isidoro that I've seen pictures of. It is fancy and has rooms created from monk's cells. And it also has free parking! A place for your boots.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is a Parador Club Amingo?
If you go on the Paradores website you can sign up the the Amigos de Paradores club for no charge. You get a reasonable discount and a welcome drink when you stay. You earn points and get free stays when you’ve accrued enough.
You get much better rates if staying during the week.
Well worth doing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What is a Parador Club Amingo?
https://paradores.es/en/amigos-de-paradores-0

"Friends of Paradores Club members receive exclusive offers from the hotel chain. Regular emails keep you up-to-date on the latest deals offered at Paradores throughout Spain, including considerable discounts on hotel stays.

Club members also enjoy special online access for reservations, which enables them to take advantage of last-minute promotions on visits to Paradores in stunning locations, such as former monasteries in Extremadura, Arab fortresses in Andalusia and castles in Catalonia."

I tried to join the Amigos club several years ago and although I still get the emails, they denied me a membership because my mailing address and phone number did not fit into their electronic form properly. Perhaps I should try again? Anyway, I have always gotten the pilgrims discount and I get the emails about other specials throughout the year even without the Amigos membership.
edit: Looks like I should try again because now there is a dropdown menu for my country of origin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Definitely join the Amigos club for Paradores. Also they have over 55 rates and Pilgrim rates. We have stayed in the Santo Domingo, Leon, and at now in Villafranca Parador. There rate here is the equivalent to a higher end Hostal or Casa. In Santiago dC, there is also a Christmas special and a Pilgrim rate. We used these as anchor points and doing cheap elsewhere. We’re older too and felt we need some good rest stops. Good luck and Buen Camino🙏🏼😁

I walked the Camino in 2009 and I treated myself to staying at the Paradors in Leon and in Santiago. Both are beautiful though my favourite was the one in Leon. I hasten to add that there was on offer at both for old people like me. I think that I paid less than 60 Euros for each. Such a bargain. As others have said, there maybe offers available for you as well, depending on the time of year, perhaps. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I noticed a reference to Pilgrim discounts on their site as well as for age, and Club Amigos.
I stayed in two—the one in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and the one in Santiago—and enjoyed the “pilgrim rate” at both, which if I recall was almost half off regular room rate. Was nice to experience some luxury!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

On my past Caminos, I have stayed several times in both, the main Parador (1) next to the Cathedral, as well as in the Parador Bernardo de Fresneda (2) at the town's exit. Both have the same tariffs. I find that the rooms of (2) are less stuffy than (1), which is somehow staid and "dusty" but which has a bar and a restaurant. (But then, I prefer to dine out in one of the excellent restaurants in town) Both feature fantastic mile-long breakfast buffets.
Usually, there is a Golden Age- for people over 50, or a Peregrino discount available, (one or the other); twice I succeeded in scrounging both perks with the telephone operator in the central reservation. (Don't try this in the case of the Paradores Leon and SdC.)
Then one in Leon has become very expensive after the renovation and I now usually stay at the Hospedería Monástica Pax instead, a treasure. (Ask for one of the older rooms at 69 €uro)
You mentioned the Monasterio San Zoilo in Carrion, which I also found very nice in both '21 and '22.
However, I must say this in regard to all the above-mentioned hotels: Service sucks! The dilemma is, that as a humble pilgrim, one tends to accept. But while I have no problem closing one, even both eyes in lesser accommodations, I expect adequate service in a 4 or 5-star hotel, which is neither provided at the Paradores nor at the San Zoilo. The staff is badly trained and as is often then, some hide their deficiencies with arrogance. An exception btw is the Virxe da Cerca in SdC.

Please don't judge me. At my age, I leave albergues to the young people, usually staying at very modest guesthouses. The few mentioned exceptions are rewards and perks that I think I have deserved, I've worked hard for them.

When I have walked the Norte I have treated myself to the Parador in Vilalba before volunteering as hospitalaro, reasonable for Parador.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed in the Parador in Salamanca while walking the Via de la Plata in 2016, I just checked back and it cost €80 then.

Well Father , If you can provide a link or a location perhaps we could donate to your Poradores stay. My brother is a Priest and I know his salary is very modest.
Well, bless your hearts, as we say here in Dixie! I would never presume, but thanks.....

Pax, JGE+

Spent an indulgent night @ the San Zoilo in Sept 2019. Worth every penny, absolutely loved it, and it's absolutely on my list for next year.... (Even if it doesn't feature singing nuns!)

At the other end of the spectrum, I might also try to stay @ the albergue San Anton! Seriously considered it several times -- especially back in 2015, when my friend Sillydoll was serving there -- but each time passed on to Castrojeriz. Mistakes, in hindsight.... It really looks to be a strange and wonderful sort of place.

Yes, A big thumbs up to both of those!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never stayed in a Parador, but I have been tempted twice, for the same Parador. Twice, while walking through Zamora on a pilgrim route, I passed the castle-like structure of the Zamora Parador. On the first occasion, I was walking the VdlP, on the second, the Levante. Both routes pass the Zamora Parador as they climb through the city. But, alas, on both occasions I had already passed the front door of the Zamora pilgrim albergue and been drawn in for the night. And on both occasions I had realized the next day, when gazing in admiration at the front of the Zamora Parador, that I could not spare the time to spend another day and a night in Zamora, if I were to finish my camino as scheduled. Conclusion: Maybe I might begin my next camino in Zamora, spending as much time as I wished in that amazing city, including at least one night in the Parador, then walk on to Santiago, mind and spirit filled. But I would have to avoid passing the albergue when the pilgrims were lined up to enter.

On my two CFs, I treated myself to a night in the Paradore in Leon, and a night (shared) in the Paradore in SdC. Both so totally worth it!!
Now I learn there are more along the Way!
Hmmm . . .
Can highly recommend the one in Pontevedra. Spouse enjoyed the one in Ferrol (though he mentioned that it's in need of some TLC... still provided exceptional comfort and care and food).

I have never stayed in a Parador, but I have been tempted twice, for the same Parador. Twice, while walking through Zamora on a pilgrim route, I passed the castle-like structure of the Zamora Parador. On the first occasion, I was walking the VdlP, on the second, the Levante. Both routes pass the Zamora Parador as they climb through the city. But, alas, on both occasions I had already passed the front door of the Zamora pilgrim albergue and been drawn in for the night. And on both occasions I had realized the next day, when gazing in admiration at the front of the Zamora Parador, that I could not spare the time to spend another day and a night in Zamora, if I were to finish my camino as scheduled. Conclusion: Maybe I might begin my next camino in Zamora, spending as much time as I wished in that amazing city, including at least one night in the Parador, then walk on to Santiago, mind and spirit filled. But I would have to avoid passing the albergue when the pilgrims were lined up to enter.
We had Christmas Day dinner at this Parador when we served as hospitaleros in Zamora in 2017. It is just around the corner from the Albergue and it is indeed a Palace that was turned into a luxury hotel!

€46,-
The only parador I stayed at was the one in Santiago de Compostela. I'm ready to try others, though. :)
I see many people seem to be recommending Fresneda of the one by the cathedral in Santo Domingo. You are persuasive, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist staying in the 12th century pilgrim's hospice.

You are persuasive, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist staying in the 12th century pilgrim's hospice.
As a postgraduate student I had the good luck to live in a building that was mostly 15th century but with a barrel vaulted cellar dining room which was probably a century or two earlier. A beautiful atmospheric space. I spent so much time in there that by the end of the year I had put on about 12kg in weight! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Count me in as well..........

Goodness! Makes me think of the old saying that "The Camino provides!" Very kind offer, but thank you no. I can manage quite well enough. I've learned over the years how to travel cheaply in Spain. (Rule # 1: Don't stay in paradores!) .... My biggest expense has always been the trans-Atlantic flight.

I've stayed in a few Paradores when touring in Spain and each has been a special experience for different reasons. I was sorely tempted to check into the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada while cycling the CF in March 2016. Could have had something to do with the 3 degree C temperature and freezing drizzle all morning. I stopped under the wide verandah outside the Parador opposite the church and stared with longing at the log fire inside. Or was I hallucinating? I ended up riding on as it was only the middle of the day but have to say that it looked extremely appealing peering through the glass windows 😍

Anyone who is going through Oviedo (start of the Primitivo) and wanting a touch of luxury - consider the Hotel de La Reconquista. I've now stayed there a couple of times and last time we had a triple room. With 3 sharing it was really very reasonable. Our room was directly off the internal balcony that overlooks the beautiful main reception space.

IMG_2475.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I'd love to do a Group Parador trip.

In October of this year, I stayed one night at the lovely Parador Santo Domingo Bernardi de la Fresnada, the “other” parador in Santo Domingo. It cost 95€, so it was a splurge, but it was less money than I expected for a parador. They served breakfast (buffet style) for about 18€, convenient — but I might go to a nearby restaurant instead next time as the atmosphere was rather hushed. No other meals were offered at this parador, but you can walk to the other (5 or 10 minutes away) for meals. My room was large, gracious, wonderful sheets and mattress, bathtub with shower. However, you’re on your own there, i didn’t notice any “pilgrim” vibe there. I didn’t go into the other parador, so I cannot compare the two.

€46,-
The Parador de Santiago de Compostela is great. I can't speak to the two in Santo Domingo but I met a friend briefly in the lobby of the Parador de Santo Domino de la Calzada (the more central one?) and it seemed very lush. Consider looking into a visit of the Parador in Santiago? They have a map with highlights available at the front desk. I'm not sure how much is open to the public it is but I love the cloisters there. Sitting with a drink of some kind just through the sitting room on the left from entrance or a wander within would be nice. In Leon, the Hotel Real Colegiata San Isidoro and a tour of the Basilica of San Isidoro was so worth it to me being curious about art/architecture/history.

My biggest expense has always been the trans-Atlantic flight.
I concur about the knees , hips and age , we have now reached the take it wasy stage.
Seeing we spent next to nothing during Covid over 2 years and nearly one year in lockdown we purchased a month ago return business to Madrid [ Ex Melbourne ] and the cost was nearly double from 2019.
We ummed and ahhed until one grand child made the statement ......"there are no pockets in the shroud Pop "So we pressed the button with Qatar .
Can't see a repeat so could be the last time .

Hondarribia Parador , great after the long flight and train before Norte.
Santallina Gil Blas Parador , wonderful after food poisoning in Santander .
Pontevedra , the luxury needed on the Portuguese and our favourite.
Ferrol , tired but helpful staff .
First one in Santo Domingo is where we stayed and they excelled in assisting with a few free passes to a group of very tired younger kids who rested with us before going onto Granon.
SDC , we once scored a free night because of previous uses.

We sometimes went without to attend these places and even walked silly distances to save on accommodation costs to justify which we cant believe when looking back.

Enjoy Father , you deserve it.

Last edited:

I've stayed in the parador at Santo Domingo de la Calzada that is across from the big cathedral tower twice. The location is really nice but I felt that the parador was a little cold and not particularly beautiful or interesting. I also recall that, as paradores go, it isn't as expensive as some. But when deciding whether to stay there last time I was in Santo Domingo (2021) it just didn't seem worth it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Then one in Leon has become very expensive after the renovation and I now usually stay at the Hospedería Monástica Pax instead, a treasure. (Ask for one of the older rooms at 69 €uro)
Thank you for this tip!

I stayed in the Leon Parador in 2016, before the remodel. I would have done it again in 2018 if it had been open. And stayed in the Parador on the main plaza in Santo Domingo de La Calzada this past summer. I booked it in early 2022 for a stay in July. It was $95 US---and I absolutely love it. I get that some are put off by spending that much, but seems to me a Parador splurge once during a Camino is reasonable if not advisable. If you're open to staying at a Parador, the main Parador in Santo Domingo would be a good one. I've also very much enjoyed staying at a few Posadas, including Señor Tepa's wonderful home in Astorga. My experience is that a relatively luxurious stay once in a while is good for the psyche.

My experience is that a relatively luxurious stay once in a while is good for the psyche.
I have personally never stayed at a parador, but I have often upgraded my experience in recent years to include some hotel rooms, and private bed and breakfast type properties. They have always been a pleasure and do lift the spirits after a long walking day. No matter how lovely an albergue is (and there are many great ones), it is nice to lodge elsewhere for some relaxing private time. If one is sharing dormatories most nights an upgrade is a real treat. As I walk more caminos I notice a shift in where I choose to stay and bunk beds are becoming a thing of the past if other options are available.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After seeing "The Way", when we walked past the parador in Leon in the morning on my first camino in 2015, we decided to at least stop in to enjoy a "posh" breakfast. We were refused at the front desk since we were not staying at the parador and in addition, I assumed possibly because we were wearing "pilgrim attire". While looking around the lobby on our way out I spotted this guy checking out of the hotel at reception. We were right behind him on the street so I took this photo. It goes to show that "you can't judge a book by its cover".
Screenshot_20221216-105938~2.png

Last edited:
After seeing "The Way", when we walked past the parador in Leon in the morning on my first camino in 2015, we decided to at least stop in to enjoy a "posh" breakfast. We were refused at the front desk since we were not staying at the parador and in addition, I assumed possibly because we were wearing "pilgrim attire". While looking around the lobby on our way out I spotted this guy checking out of the hotel at reception. We were right behind him on the street so I took this photo. It goes to show that "you can't judge a book by its cover".
View attachment 138194
Yes, when we have stayed at a Parador, we were told the breakfast is only for guests and they were pretty strict about reserving a time to each so your table would be ready for service. The breakfast room was different from the dining room and there was a big sign each time about only being a guest... You can eat other meals in he Comedor though if you are not a guest and we have done that as well.

We were not offered an alternative in Leon to eat in any dining room vs a breakfast room. I'm sure other paradores all have their own rules and facilities.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 138194
Having lodged at one or another Paradores along the CF every year since 2012, only interrupted in Covid '19 and '20, I must say to their credit, that I never ever felt discriminated against because of my pilgrim attire, nor did I observe such discrimination targeted against other pilgrims.
But then, of course, I would never dine in a restaurant –Parador or other– without putting on a fresh shirt (and long pants in the evening.) At times that meant that I had to buy one in town, hardly a problem, for if one can afford a Parador night, one can afford a shirt at Zara.
I also understand, why breakfast is only served to hotel guests, because of limited space; in fact, even guests have at times to wait in queue because all tables are taken.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
But then, of course, I would never dine in a restaurant –Parador or other– without putting on a fresh shirt (and long pants in the evening.)
Me neither, Pepi!
I do think "lodging" for the night at a parador (additional € spent) can have an added benefit, as apparently the man in my photo must have experienced.

Me neither, Pepi!
I do think "lodging" for the night at a parador (additional € spent) can have an added benefit, as apparently the man in my photo must have experienced.
I have enjoyed my three breakfasts at different paradors, having stayed the night as a guest. They were as good as any other high quality hotel one might stay in other circumstances, but a very special treat when one has been walking a camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back