• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way" opens in France, September 25th

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It will be interesting to see the effect of the movie on the number of French pilgrims in 2014 and beyond. I imagine it will recruit a significant number . I'm not aware of market research detailing where pilgrims first learned of the Camino.

I have to admit that I knew about the Camino before I saw the film because we would keep running across cyclists in the UK where we "cycling to Spain in order to ride The Way". Having said that, the film itself did have some bearing on our decision to do it ourselves when, at one point in the story, one of the pilgrims says "can you cycle it?" when they are overtaken by a pilgrim on a bike. I have heard that this film has a huge bearing on many who go on to walk/ride the Camino so I've no doubt it will have the same impact on the French people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had heard of the Camino before I saw the movie also and I always told myself one day when I had the time I would like to try walking it. I bought the English version of the DVD this summer out of curiosity and because I saw Martin Sheen on the cover, for me it was like a bolt of lightning, and after watching it 4 times over a two day period I decided I would walk it as I soon as could get organised and vacation time permitted. If all goes well, for me it will be a spring Camino, and if it was not for work and family obligations I would leave tomorrow since I bought my last piece of Equipment this week and my pack is ready to got right now.

JP wrote:
I had heard of the Camino before I saw the movie also and I always told myself one day when I had the time I would like to try walking it. I bought the English version of the DVD this summer out of curiosity and because I saw Martin Sheen on the cover, for me it was like a bolt of lightning, and after watching it 4 times over a two day period I decided I would walk it as I soon as could get organised and vacation time permitted. If all goes well, for me it will be a spring Camino, and if it was not for work and family obligations I would leave tomorrow since I bought my last piece of Equipment this week and my pack is ready to got right now.
I am sure it will happen, JP. You can use the time constructively by reading as much about other people's experiences as possible as it gives you a bit of a flavor of what it can be like. Before I did the Camino, I had read that it's no "walk in the park". Boy, were they right! Although exhilarating, even mind blowing at times, but never boring, it is also exhausting and very challenging at other times. You have to contend with other people's snoring when staying at the albergues, or constantly worrying about whether your bed might have its own resident inhabitants (bedbugs), to even finding yourself wondering if you will even find a bed for the night! And all this after a strenuous day's walking (or riding in my case) through ups and downs never experienced before. Apart from all that, the Camino will leave you a completely changed person with experiences you can never replicate anywhere else - except on another Camino.

There is quite a bit of buzz about the movie already. Friends of mine in Biarritz and Paris have been asking me how I thought it compared to the real experience. All I've said to them is this movie is a "must see." I totally agree with Steven Jarvis, I suspect we are going to see an influx of French pilgrims from here on beginning in 2014.

Experienced hikers here will tell you there is nothing like the CR trail network in France and they scoff at the relative luxury offered to hikers on the Caminos but then there are all the urbanites who have never considered a "wilderness vacation" and this movie will definitely appeal to them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I don't know if the movie "The Way" will have an effect "on the number of French pilgrims in 2014 and beyond" ... ?

There is also a book "Immortelle randonnée, Compostelle malgré moi" [Immortal hiking, Compostela reluctantly (in spite of me ?)] written by an "académicien" Jean-Christophe Rufin. More than 250 000 copies sold !

He did the Camino del Norte and the Primitivo.

Théo

Last edited:
there is nothing like the CR trail network in France
The GR system in France is the largest walking trail system in the world, and there are hundreds of associations providing experience improvement through trail maintenance, signage, accommodations, and information guides. I doubt France envies the Camino Frances, though it would like the tourist revenue. In June I met a man from northern France who had been the volunteer host in St. Sever when I stayed there a couple of years earlier. We stared at each other for a couple of days before we made the connection (he made it). He and his wife volunteer for two weeks to operate the free gite that was built to support pilgrims on the Via Vezelay. I had to force a donation on them. Their group does not even expect a donation from pilgrims, though I suspect that financial pressures will erode that policy!

The French, Italians, and Germans trade the top spot for foreign pilgrims each month (Korea was up there one month), so the publicity from "The Way" may have little impact. Ireland provides the most pilgrims based on national population, and they already have watched the film. With hundreds of newspaper and internet articles on pilgrims, the primary source of growth probably will be this word of mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The French have already seen "St Jacques, Le Mecque". It was a better film, just as sappy (or inspirational) with more humor, better scenery and French characters. It did cause a small boost, in a country which already was well informed about the Chemins St. Jacques.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ha! I would love to watch it in French! But - had a look at the clip and it is sub-titled rather than dubbed - and they are VERY loose with the translation too.
par ex:when Canada meets Youst she asks "have you got any drugs" they translate it to "do you have anything to smoke" .. there is more ...
if it had been dubbed I would have bought a copy .... do hope the French like it as well as we did.

My father and I used to hike portions of the Appalachian Trail together. Because of his age, I'd promised to accompany him every year. Several years ago, he set out on his last journey. I'd backed out at the last minute, saying I had too many work obligations and he headed into the mountains alone. He never returned.
I hadn't realized how much effect his death had on me until I watched the movie last year. I'd buried the guilt and the pain. Two months later, my wife and I stepped off the train in SJPDP. I had this intention of receiving forgiveness for my sins, I wasn't even Catholic.

It was a better film
Maybe or perhaps, but The Way has had a lot more viewers even with its limited theatrical release and two-year distribution schedule (November 2011 until now). Try to find the DVD of each. You are much more likely for find The Way. Neither will be on the "Top 100" list, so opinions may be a bit chauvinistic.;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe or perhaps, but The Way has had a lot more viewers even with its limited theatrical release and two-year distribution schedule (November 2011 until now). Try to find the DVD of each. You are much more likely for find The Way. Neither will be on the "Top 100" list, so opinions may be a bit chauvinistic.;)

Well, sure, in the US, but this thread is about France.. St Jacques, Le Mecque was never even released in the US. It wasn't even available with English subtitles until the Canadian DVD came out. It was a well distributed movie in France however (the DVD was available at our local Intermarche store in Carces) and most French people are familiar with it. I doubt "The Way" do better in over there.

"St Jacques, La Mecque" was basically a comedy, I watched the original french language version ot it on the Internet. I was excited to see a french version of "The Way" and I was looking forward to let my friends know about it. After seeing the badly dubbed french clip posted here, I will not be encouraging my friends to buy it.

The Way is a beautiful film an I have watched it at least a half a dozen times........ but it is far removed from the reality of the actual Camino. It doesn't show the rain, mud, heat, blisters and all the other difficulties most pilgrims encounter. I met at least half a dozen young US pilgrims who saw the movie, went to REI bought all their gear and hopped on a plane to France. No training, no breaking in the boots and a lot of them were in trouble in the first few days. Many times I heard "it wasn't like this on The Way, but to their credit the stuck it out and walked to Santiago. Watching the film was also the nudge my brother needed to finaly decide to travel from Oz and walk. I think it will influence the numbers for the next few years but maybe for the wrong reasons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"St Jacques, La Mecque" was basically a comedy,.

Yeah, it was hilarious when the dyslexic kid finds out out his mother died and they all left Finisterre in tears. The racism left me in stitches as well.

At least they got tired walking, suffered on the trail, dumped their extra gear etc, unlike the walk in the park shown in "the Way".

Missed my chance to see it on the big screen in English in Nice -- it's still showing ; but dubbed into French :eek:

Drat.

Never mind the 1080p copy I have on my hard drive, big screen would have been fantastic.

Ah well ; missed the wonderful Saint-Jacques ... La Mecque too, on the big screen, because I was too busy walking & hitching back from Santiago during its final week of release ... (EDIT : aaaarh NO !!! I tell a lie, I managed to see it in a small art house place a couple of months later, how could I forget !!! --- hmmmm that means there's hope for me yet, that cinema still exists !!! )

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My father and I used to hike portions of the Appalachian Trail together. Because of his age, I'd promised to accompany him every year. Several years ago, he set out on his last journey. I'd backed out at the last minute, saying I had too many work obligations and he headed into the mountains alone. He never returned.
I hadn't realized how much effect his death had on me until I watched the movie last year. I'd buried the guilt and the pain. Two months later, my wife and I stepped off the train in SJPDP. I had this intention of receiving forgiveness for my sins, I wasn't even Catholic.
Hugs!
Tearing up over your post at work!...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Way is a beautiful film an I have watched it at least a half a dozen times........ but it is far removed from the reality of the actual Camino. It doesn't show the rain, mud, heat, blisters and all the other difficulties most pilgrims encounter. I met at least half a dozen young US pilgrims who saw the movie, went to REI bought all their gear and hopped on a plane to France. No training, no breaking in the boots and a lot of them were in trouble in the first few days. Many times I heard "it wasn't like this on The Way, but to their credit the stuck it out and walked to Santiago. Watching the film was also the nudge my brother needed to finaly decide to travel from Oz and walk. I think it will influence the numbers for the next few years but maybe for the wrong reasons.
Hola Wayfarer - I have to agree a movie such as The Way will significantly increase the number of US pilgrims. I have seen the movie 3 times now. In fact I have just finished looking at my own copy of the DVD. If you have a copy of the DVD I truly suggest that you have a look at the post-production discussion: Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez and David Alexanian discuss a number of the scenes from the movie; how it was shot; etc. Some of their comments on the scenery that was not really evident until they were looking at the daily "rushes", are most interesting. It fills in a lot of the history or the Camino and also why they made the movie. The discussion also touches on Martin getting the odd blister or two; about how he really was walking a lot faster than the other 3 co-stars; about how tough day one from St JPP really is!!; even reveals how they made the "backpack in the river" scene - it really was Martin in the river - the stunt double went in once and refused to go in again!! It (the discussion) will probably make me watch it again.
(Just in case you are wondering where you might have seen the name "David Alexanian" - well if you say the motor cycle docos - Long Way Round and Long Way Down - well he was one of the co-producers). Buen Camino :cool:

Hola Wayfarer - I have to agree a movie such as The Way will significantly increase the number of US pilgrims. I have seen the movie 3 times now. In fact I have just finished looking at my own copy of the DVD. If you have a copy of the DVD I truly suggest that you have a look at the post-production discussion: Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez and David Alexanian discuss a number of the scenes from the movie; how it was shot; etc. Some of their comments on the scenery that was not really evident until they were looking at the daily "rushes", are most interesting. It fills in a lot of the history or the Camino and also why they made the movie. The discussion also touches on Martin getting the odd blister or two; about how he really was walking a lot faster than the other 3 co-stars; about how tough day one from St JPP really is!!; even reveals how they made the "backpack in the river" scene - it really was Martin in the river - the stunt double went in once and refused to go in again!! It (the discussion) will probably make me watch it again.
(Just in case you are wondering where you might have seen the name "David Alexanian" - well if you say the motor cycle docos - Long Way Round and Long Way Down - well he was one of the co-producers). Buen Camino :cool:
Thanks for that Saint Mike. No I haven't seen the post-production discussions but will try to get them. I love Martin Sheen interviews, I think he is a great guy. As a biker I have both the other DVD sets but did not make the connection with David Alexanian.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So sorry to hear this.
Wishing you well ....... and peace.
(Look forward to reading your book.)

I hope that you had a forgiving and reconciliating experience on The Camino with your late father. I sincerely do hope that it did you good. For reasons untold, I can deeply connect with your story. I am sure your father will understand whatever came your way. Blessings.

Last edited:
Just saw the French language version of the Way on a Quebec Public TV station and it was very well translated. Voices and dialogue were in the spirit of the original English version.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back