• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The wrong trousers

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I'm looking for recommendations for trousers. It's clear to me now that the pair I've been wearing were the wrong ones.
They don't need zip off legs but do need lots of pockets. A few of those should have secure, metal toothed, zips.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I see you are in Belfast. Craghoppers are a good brand that are widely available in the UK and not too expensive. I wear them or a knock-off equivalent almost all the time whether I'm walking or not. Big outdoor places like Go Outdoors are a good place to look and decide what you fancy. The weight of material varies and you can find lined versions for cooler months. For me the deciding factor is that I want two zipped pockets at the hips for wallet/passport and at least one decent sized zip or button pocket on the leg for maps, guides and the like.

PS. I see you say metal zips. Craghoppers tend to be plastic. Work quite well though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Second @Bradypus's suggestion for Craghoppers, they are hardwearing and dry quickly . Often you can find them at bargain prices at this time of the year - I've just searched & the Craghoppers website & many other online outdoor retailers are offering good deals. My Kiwi Craghoppers (reinforced knees and backside areas) got me through two Caminos and are still going strong as heavy duty gardening trousers. Buen Camino!

It would be helpful to know what's wrong with the ones you have, in order to give advice for a replacement. What's wrong for one person might be right for another! :)

It would be helpful to know what's wrong with the ones you have, in order to give advice for a replacement. What's wrong for one person might be right for another! :)
I stumbled and fell onto a cow pat while walking the Camino Primitivo. I removed one of the detachable legs to wash it but the plastic zip had given up the ghost and I couldn't get it back together.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
if you are not in a hurry, you could haunt a few charity shops... I got a Quechua pair just before heading out this time..

When choosing walking trousers make sure that any upper zippered pockets sit clear of your backpack waist belt so you can access things easily and the zipper pull doesn't irritate your skin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@jsalt , that's what I was thinking too. Speaking of Wallace & Gromit, did anyone else notice that the
Hospitalero, Tony, at Refugee Gualcelmo, sounded like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit?

IMG_20161005_210506439.jpg

REI Sahara pants with zip offs. There are also zips that open up the cuff so that it is easier to take them off or put them on without having to remove shoes or boots. Light, tough, lots of pockets, dry quick if wet. I used them, both as shorts and pants, for 5 months on the Pacific Crest Trail. Those same pants may end up with me on Camino, if I decide against just using shorts. :)

https://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-co-op-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

Hi Stephen, Damian and I both wear Craghoppers Kiwi trousers. They are very durable and cheaper than the 'premium' bands.
We also wear them for winter hiking at home, with merino base layers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lidl brand Crivit Northcamp 100% synthetic, very lightweight and fast drying, with metal zips. €19.99. Have 2 pairs, great for summer walking. Not always available, and vary each time they are released.

I'm looking for recommendations for trousers. It's clear to me now that the pair I've been wearing were the wrong ones.
They don't need zip off legs but do need lots of pockets. A few of those should have secure, metal toothed, zips.
Definetly craghoppers kiwi STRETCH trousers, dry very quickly, and the stretch makes all the difference, esp going uphill as it doesn't restrict your knee movement. Have had some pairs for years, wash brilliantly.

the reason that zip off trousers are not metal zipped is that they get ever so hot when the sun is out, hence that feature disappeared years ago.... imagine a strand of hot metal mid-thigh !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the reason that zip off trousers are not metal zipped is that they get ever so hot when the sun is out, hence that feature disappeared years ago.... imagine a strand of hot metal mid-thigh !!

Actually, in many pants, like REI Sahara Zip Offs, the zipper never touches bare skin. The zipper sits between two flaps, one that covers the outside and one that covers the inside which sits next to the skin. The reason for the nylon/plastic zips are 1. they are lighter in weight; 2. they are far less susceptible to jamming from dirt and wear; 3. the zippers perform more smoothly; 4. many times if the zipper has problems with jamming or separation, they can be self-repaired by zipping them passed the problem and then zipping them up and down. Sort of self-healing.

Contrary to some views, the nylon zippers used in quality backpacking products are tougher and last longer than metal. This is one time when you definitely get what you pay for.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The craghoppers look nice but are there any recommendations for granny style walking trousers with an elastic waist? Nothing much in the camping shops here. I've been walking in whatever lightweight trousers I can find but they wear out each camino so I would like to find some proper walking trousers.

Go to Railriders .com and check out the Bushwacjer Weatherpants. Lots of zip pockets to hold your passport, credential, euros Nd credit cards. I wore mune every day on my teo caminos and was very happy with them. I promise you won't regret using these.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you tried them @Anemone del Camino ? I think they look great and tried to order a pair, but they seem to be out of stock - nothing available in my size in any colour until the end of September.
I have not tried them, just got my local seamstress to copy eir hidden pocket concept on the ones I use which are these:

https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/bas/pantalons/cherokee-10-sand.html

Have been using them since 2007. Went through one pair, but practically wearing them all the time I am not in work clothes. Super fast drying.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My Lowe Alpine pants now 9 yrs old 23 caminos and 9000km later still perfect. Never leave home without them.

I can recommend the Craghoppers brand. I've had two pairs (not zip offs) for a few years. They have been washed a zillion times and are still going strong.
One thought on trousers.......
I have bought two pairs of 'Hi Gear' (Go Outdoors own brand), zip offs. I intend taking both pairs of the 'shorts' and only one pair of the zip off legs, when I attempt the Camino de Portugues next month.
Ok, I may look a prat with Brown shorts and blue lower legs (or vice versa), but who cares.....?!! I'm saving on space, weight and will still have options.....
Take care guys and girls......:)

As you're in the UK have you considered Regatta brand? Huge (70%) discounts in their current sale.

"The wrong trousers"

Why does this make me immediately think of Wallace and Gromit?
Have to admit that I thought exactly the same thing when I read the headline.....lol...lol......seriously though, I agree with another poster, the Craghoppers Brand of trousers are really good.....I bought myself a pair in Scotland last year when I'd finished walking the West Highland Way......(we don't get this brand here in Australia), and have found them excellent in terms of pockets, comfort etc.....susanawee.

REI Sahara pants with zip offs. There are also zips that open up the cuff so that it is easier to take them off or put them on without having to remove shoes or boots. Light, tough, lots of pockets, dry quick if wet. I used them, both as shorts and pants, for 5 months on the Pacific Crest Trail. Those same pants may end up with me on Camino, if I decide against just using shorts. :)

https://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-co-op-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

I am just taking Sahara shorts; no pants. The same shorts I wore on the Camino last year.

Go to Railriders .com

I had never heard of this brand, but visited and snagged a pair of convertible pants (Zion) on a very good sale. They arrived very quickly. Seem perfect: lots of zippable pockets, very lightweight fabric, generous fit. Thanks for this tip.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The "pockets vs. packstraps" conflict is perennial, both with trousers and with shirts/vests/jackets.

As for the zippers, is there any reason Velcro closures aren't desirable? Aside from that annoying "r-r-r-rip!" sound, I mean?

As for the zippers, is there any reason Velcro closures aren't desirable? Aside from that annoying "r-r-r-rip!" sound, I mean?
Velcro is great is vwry short strips, like on Tefa sandals, but for anything much longer it's a pain as ot needs to be aligned perfectly or will create humps and bumps.

Velcro is great is vwry short strips, like on Tefa sandals, but for anything much longer it's a pain as ot needs to be aligned perfectly or will create humps and bumps.

Yes, I meant for pockets and the like, because there the Velcro is usually in small squares or short strips. I wear "tactical" pants all the time now, primarily due to all the Velcro-secured pockets. Hey, I'm retired and there's no one I need to impress! :D

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like to carry my passport, credit cards, and money in a securely zipped trouser pocket.
I don't like the thought of carrying them in a 'bum bag' as there's a chance I might lose or forget it.
If I ever forget my trousers it will be time to call an end to my walking.

I like to carry my passport, credit cards, and money in a securely zipped trouser pocket.
I don't like the thought of carrying them in a 'bum bag' as there's a chance I might lose or forget it.
Ah, Stephen, you gave me a good laugh! A horror story: the last day of San Fermin, just past. Got off train from Oviedo in Pamplona, plenty of passengers; walking away from station with my walking companion and suddenly: 'my ... my ...' I saw straightaway: no bumbag. Friend dropped backpack and ran like the clappers to find a very kind young woman standing at the door of the carriage, holding out the bumbag!!! Because of so many passengers, train had not pulled out. So yes, stick to zipped pockets!!!

Zippers:

YKK
are widely recognized as producing the world's best zippers. Whatever you choose, whether it's a pair of trousers, a jacket, a bag or anything with a zipper, make sure that it has a YKK zipper on it. If it's unclear, contact the manufacturer. I won't buy anything if it has a zip from another manufacturer.

Article on YKK zippers: http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._zippers_why_so_many_designers_use_them_.html

Trousers:

Columbia Silver Ridge
. These are lightweight cargo trousers that dry very quickly and protect from the sun. I'm on my third pair. Highly recommended. If you wear shorts during the day these are great in the evenings!

http://www.columbia.com/mens-silver-ridge-cargo-pant-AM8007.html

Good luck! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hey Stephen, I went on a motorcycle tour to Holland and forgot to take trousers - I was 19 at the time....!!
Age has no barriers to memory loss.....

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back