• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Theft alert

SimonS

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2016)
This morning my walking poles were stolen from the room I shared with 3 men early 20s, two were bearded, non-english speaking, in albergue Santo Domingo in Tui. Two days earlier in the Ponte De Lima albergue a lady had a recharge stolen. Similar characters seem to have been involved.

Can pilgrims be on the alert for these three. Tonight (9 Oct) they would be in an albergue around Porrino or Mos. They tend to leave the albergue before sunrise (before 7:30).

My poles are red Black Diamond poles.

If anyone sees them can they notify me and perhaps the albergue in which they are staying. I am attempting to identify them from their registration details at Santo Domingo.

Theft like this while petty is disturbing and undermines the experience for everyone. As a community we should try to counter it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm so sorry...not only are poles expensive, many need them to help with their walk. I hope you recover them. I was glad mine folded up so could be tucked into the pack at night. for the help of future walkers, is there something that could be done to safeguard non-collapsible poles (other than putting them into your sleeping bag:eek:)...like zip tie to pack, or put half into pack...something that makes accidental or intentional misappropriation difficult?

...something that makes accidental or intentional misappropriation difficult?

Open the wrist loops, intertwine them and close them in an 8/infinite loop shape.
Mark them with glowing colorful ductape.
Make a large cardboard board sign stating "MINE" and poke them through it.

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Open the wrist loops, intertwine them and close them in an 8/infinite loop shape.

Buen Camino, SY

Or put them under your bunk bed if you are on the lower bunk ... if not, hang them on the sides of the upper bunk!

Buen Camino, G

The friends I made on the Camino and I tied our poles together in a bundle. Doesn't protect from intentional theft, but for those leaving before light the package might suggest those are not their poles. The same about boots: mark them somehow, after a few days in the same dust all boots look the same, if the size fits, they go!

Boots - Tips !

If shelves are provided, put them somewhere where no sane/aching pilgrim would put them - far up high or in the bottom shelf
Also
Tie there laces together in a knot only you can solve
Use really strong colored/glowing laces

Ultimately - tie your boots to your poles and vice versa ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

PS For a really good read on the topic of mistaken boots look up @Rebekah Scott 's post about those 'stolen boots' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/wrong-boots-in-sahagun.15407/#post-107417

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now there is an idea - Pin a sign to your backpack saying "May contain bed bugs/chinches" to prevent theft! On third thought - that one might backfire ... SY

They were under my bed directly under my head, near my gear only. I heard the culprits rummaging around there and thought that they were just checking they had everything. This is why I know they were deliberately stolen. I have traced there movements further. They seem to be on the standard 20 k per day schedule so there is a good chance of paths crossing or more stuff being stolen.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They were under my bed directly under my head, near my gear only. I heard the culprits rummaging around there and thought that they were just checking they had everything. This is why I know they were deliberately stolen. I have traced there movements further. They seem to be on the standard 20 k per day schedule so there is a good chance of paths crossing or more stuff being stolen.
sorry to have gone off topic, and I hope you recover your poles. I also hope you won't need them too much until you get them back.

To prevent boot/shoe loss or theft, remove the insoles before putting the footwear on the albergue's shoe/boot rack.
Nobody wants a set of footwear without insoles.
You can store the insoles for the night in an outside pocket of your pack. Also it's nice to wash them from time to time anyway. They can get funky.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not taxi ahead to catch up to them. Or spring for a set of new poles and consider the first pair a donation. Either way, the best thing you can do for yourself is get on with your Camino and put these guys behind you. Don't let them get in your head and ruin your journey.

I usually tell people I am on the pilgrim path so god can cure me of my terminal genital herpes. Keeps thieves, djembe playing teenagers and loud mouth at bay.

It is disappointing to see some of the trivial comments here. Theft is a serious and criminal issue and as a pilgrim community I would have thought that there would be interest in apprehending those with criminal intentions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I understand your anger and frustration over the theft of your poles but there isn't much anyone on the forum (except you) can do about it. You've reported it to the albergue you've said. You've reported it to the police I assume. Someone even suggested that by using a taxi you might catch up with them. I admit (and apologized earlier and will again now) that I made a joke about theft of clothing and will happily delete those. But what exactly do you expect the forum to do towards apprehension?

That's an excellent idea...could probably even "lock" your poles to your pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino, SY

I'm having a quiet chuckle about Sarah's post. Years ago (before retiring) I was cosistently using rulers and stuff from my desk at work. Mentioning theis to a friend, he showed me his solution. He had written "stolen from Wheeler" on his ruler. It effectively stopped his problem.

I thought what a good idea so did it also to mine when back at my desk. It disappeared within a day. Some days later, walking through the ranks I noticed the ruler on someone else's desk. After my words, he had written "BY ME" in large dark letters.

I laughed so much I didn't ask for it back.

De Colores

Bogong

It is disappointing to see some of the trivial comments here. Theft is a serious and criminal issue and as a pilgrim community I would have thought that there would be interest in apprehending those with criminal intentions.
I am so sorry that you have had your poles stolen.i agree that a few comments are trivial,but others have genuinely tried to be helpful in giving some good tips on keeping possessions safe.
I think that part of your anger and frustration lies in the fact that "pilgrims" could steal your poles.
These people are not pilgrims....they are opportunistic thieves just out for a long hike and a cheap(or free) bed. And yes...they travel the Camino!!
They should be reported to the police for what they are and hopefully dealt with.
I have so many theft stories over the years that have left pilgrims without money or possessions
All we can do is support you and understand your anger(I would be hopping mad and even,dare I say,hunt them down)
Hopefully someone on this forum might be reading your post and alert you as to their whereabouts.
For what it's worth....my shoelaces are bright red....so no mistaking my boots...practical as well as stylish! Not!
With regard to the poles..we always bought cheap ones in Spain for about 5euros so if stolen, could be easily replaced.
Yours are very expensive I understand and may not easily be replaceable any time soon.
Please don't let this prevent you from future pilgrimages and please let us know of any developments

Great idea. I'd also put a pine cone, or a prickly bur, in each boot....just for good measure. :rolleyes:
ha...yeah, that'd get their attention
Another reason I'd remove the insoles from my shoes is that they were aftermarket ones that provide better stability and support. About $30. Not a king's ransom but still a few bucks. I figure I could always get another pair of shoes on the Camino, but not another good set of insoles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps no one cares as much as you do about your poles.

Gently, pilgrims, gently. The OP has suffered a loss and an inconvenience. We are all aware that petty, and worse, theft occurs along the camino and those walking now should be mindful of any current warnings.

I am sure that the OP is aware that most of us posting here are currently no-where near the camino and cannot therefore offer direct assistance or intervention.
There has been some helpful advice here on improving the security of boots and poles; and a couple of suggestions on further action the OP might consider. There has also been some of the levity / humour that I have long come to expect of this forum and which I regard as no bad thing. None of which alleviates or amends the OP's current situation. I hope he is soon re-united with his poles.

I am sure also that the OP is aware that while there is apparent theft there is no proof of intention nor of attribution. The correct entity to investigate and take any necessary action is the Police.

Simon, that is horrid.

Losing your boots from the boot rack or your poles from the pole basket would be bad enough, but to have had your poles stolen from under your bed is almost a violation of your personal space - almost as if a thief had been rummaging through your backpack. Hope you manage to deal with your feelings so that the incident does not spoil your camino.

And I hope that anyone who is currently on the Camino reads this and is made aware of the presence of thieves so that they are more vigilant with essential possessions. I have Black Diamond Z poles. They were by far the most expensive item of kit that I carried and I could not have done without them. Same with my insoles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why not taxi ahead to catch up to them. Or spring for a set of new poles and consider the first pair a donation. Either way, the best thing you can do for yourself is get on with your Camino and put these guys behind you. Don't let them get in your head and ruin your journey.
A "donation" sorry you have well and truly missed the plot - this was deliberate theft - the worst crime on the Camino. 500 years ago the culprits would have received "the lash".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okay. Look. When on Camino, emotions run high---and for anyone here to denigrate this pilgrim or his loss is unkind. I saw at least one post here--and addressed very courteously by our kind moderator Tincatinker--that was just plain mean. So, what can I add to this discussion?

First, I'm so sorry this happened. The poles are so important to those of us who use them and need them. It's just so wrong that someone got under your bed to violate your space and belongings.

Second, loss does happen on journeys that involve a lot of people. No one wants to get stuff stolen, but it's a big bad world, and this may be one of those tests of your composure. No one can control the music, but one can certainly control the way one dances to it. As one person replied to you--don't let this get into your head! Take a deep breath, and look for a pair of replacement sticks. And keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

Don't get yourself hurt when you take them back.

Wishing you all the best---Deb

I plan on walking the Camino starting in late Jun 2017 with a friend. I have wondered how to keep my gear safe. I am sorry that there are such dishonest people on the trail. I hope your poles are recovered and you grow from your other 99% positive experiences. Thank you for posting so that others can plan ahead.

I plan on walking the Camino starting in late Jun 2017 with a friend. I have wondered how to keep my gear safe.

It's awful to have things stolen on the Camino as usually, we have so little and need every item. It's also such a breach of trust and I sympathise with the OP.

But, I just wanted to add, I have walked 4 Caminos in Spain (3400 km) mostly staying in albergues and I've only had items stolen twice (and that was the same year).
So by all means take some precautions but don't worry unduly.
Buen camino :)

When skiing my friend and I would swap a ski each so that we had a non matching pair and 'park' then quite far apart.
It is sad that theft is becoming a problem on the camino SimonS. Your poles are not the cheap ones either. Good luck with your detective work.

When skiing my friend and I would swap a ski each so that we had a non matching pair and 'park' then quite far apart.
It is sad that theft is becoming a problem on the camino SimonS. Your poles are not the cheap ones either. Good luck with your detective work.
Excelent idea! We'll do that in future. Thanks ;)

Gently, pilgrims, gently. The OP has suffered a loss and an inconvenience. We are all aware that petty, and worse, theft occurs along the camino and those walking now should be mindful of any current warnings.

I am sure that the OP is aware that most of us posting here are currently no-where near the camino and cannot therefore offer direct assistance or intervention.
There has been some helpful advice here on improving the security of boots and poles; and a couple of suggestions on further action the OP might consider. There has also been some of the levity / humour that I have long come to expect of this forum and which I regard as no bad thing. None of which alleviates or amends the OP's current situation. I hope he is soon re-united with his poles.

I am sure also that the OP is aware that while there is apparent theft there is no proof of intention nor of attribution. The correct entity to investigate and take any necessary action is the Police.
Was a copper for years (not that one needs to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out), and yeah, based on the information the OP provided in the thread, sounds like a deliberate theft. A misdemeanor theft, but a theft nonetheless.
Pretty much rule out mistaken identity as the OP makes no mention of a similar set of trekking poles left behind in the same spot under his bunk, near his gear where his trekking poles had been. There's your intent. Unplanned and opportunistic crime, no doubt, but even those are rooted in intent.
The Camino is not Utopia. Never has been. That's why the Templars used to patrol it. To any prospective pilgrim's out there, just be aware of that, and like I've said before, don't carry anything on the Camino you are not willing to part with. Parting by theft. Parting by loss, or parting by donativo. Lord knows I left a bunch of stuff on donativo tables/shelves. Hope someone is staying snug and warm in my Columbia fleece jacket and hope someone was able to put to use going to Finisterre the trekking poles I left in Santiago (I bought them in Puente la Reina).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's hard to make your possessions theft proof in common areas, but at least it's possible to make it a little more difficult for thieves. If there is no locker available one can run a wire through the loops of expensive walking staffs and secure
with the small combination lock. That would cut down 100% on "mistakenly" picking something up and slows down thieves to a crawl. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...zed-Wire-Rope-Security-Cable-803182/203958878

Last edited:
It's hard to make your possessions theft proof in common areas, but at least it's possible to make it a little more difficult for thieves. If there is no locker available one can run a wire through the loops of expensive walking staffs and secure
with the small combination lock. That would cut down 100% on "mistakenly" picking something up and slows down thieves to a crawl. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...zed-Wire-Rope-Security-Cable-803182/203958878
If theft on the Camino is a concern you can also get one of these small cable with lock devices. Can be used on trekking poles, or even to lock your pack to a bunk bed leg. The lock and cable doesn't weigh much.
07-306-600x600.jpg

Its a bloody shame that pilgrims have to even consider going to such lengths to protect their meager possessions. I have a lockable "cover-all" that my backpack fits into when it travels as checked baggage. Looks like it might have to be used on the camino as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Its a bloody shame that pilgrims have to even consider going to such lengths to protect their meager possessions. I have a lockable "cover-all" that my backpack fits into when it travels as checked baggage. Looks like it might have to be used on the camino as well.
might not be a bad idea since you have it anyway...

It is a shame.
When I walked the CF in 2014 somebody stole my sunglasses off my backpack when I went in a cafe to get some coffee. They were clipped to a loop on the exterior. Never figured anyone would want a five year old set of scratched lens Oakley sunglasses, but they did.
About a week later somebody swiped my toenail clippers off of my bed while I went to take a shower. An old set of clippers lying atop my toiletry bag. Man, you gotta be desperate and pitiful if you gotta steal someone's funky toenail clippers.
Neither item set me back much cost wise, but a definite pain in da arse to replace while walking the Camino. Not always easy to find a good pair of sunglasses at a reasonable price when traveling about. Think I finally found a set in Logrono.

I lost a penlight, penknife, and underwear (?:eek:) at the Astorga muni...like said above...mostly a pain in the rear to replace.
I think it is disingenuous for any of us to say "well, it's other pilgrims..." when actually no, it's (up to 80) strangers who just happen to be sharing a room with us. You don't know them, or their histories. Why create a near occasion of sin for anyone who may be struggling--don't we owe it to our fellow walkers to keep temptation down? Take a minimum of expensive stuff with you, and keep it out of sight, locked up, and/or with you at all times. While people might walk in off the street to steal, I can totally believe someone walking the camino could just as easily steal with the right temptation, and I'm sure he could justify it to himself.

€46,-
I lost a penlight, penknife, and underwear (?:eek:) at the Astorga muni...like said above...mostly a pain in the rear to replace.
I think it is disingenuous for any of us to say "well, it's other pilgrims..." when actually no, it's (up to 80) strangers who just happen to be sharing a room with us. You don't know them, or their histories. Why create a near occasion of sin for anyone who may be struggling--don't we owe it to our fellow walkers to keep temptation down? Take a minimum of expensive stuff with you, and keep it out of sight, locked up, and/or with you at all times. While people might walk in off the street to steal, I can totally believe someone walking the camino could just as easily steal with the right temptation, and I'm sure he could justify it to himself.
but why would anyone struggling so much financially be doing walking the Camino?
It is a luxury, not a necessity. One does not have to do something that on average costs 20-30 euros a day. Like I've said on here before, I don't think I saw any of the truly poor faithful on the CF (homeless hippies roaming about don't count). I would say 99% of the pilgrims I met were comfortable financially, and even the ones on shoestring budgets were students and such. Hardly a bunch who had to do the Camino, and even on the budget they weren't eating only bread and water.
I would guess the wholesale thefts of phones and devices taken form the albergues weren't done by pilgrims. More than likely local tweaker thieves who have learned an open albergue has a steady flow of easily sold after stolen, goods. Most of the time it doesn't get reported, or the victim is moving on anyway, so it's easy enough to hit the same place over and over again.
As far as the theft my old, used sunglasses and toenail clippers go? Can't explain that one. No real resale value in those items to buy dope. I just chalk it up to lazy bastards too cheap to buy their own.

I don't mean struggling financially--I mean impulse control. Some have little to none. Others might not be suffering financially but wouldn't mind an upgrade in phone, poles, or other equipment. again, lack of respect and poor impulse control...which I have seen demonstrated by people who refer to themselves as pilgrims (I prefer to refer to us all as walkers, bikers, etc and let the rest be between God and the individual). I imagine they have all sorts of reasons as to why they deserve a new iPhone more than the rightful owner...not correct, but they are OK with that.

edit: it was 19 years between my last vacation and my walking the camino. I don't feel for anyone who doesn't plan/save. it's part of being responsible for one's own actions, and a member of society. And a little delayed gratification is good for those with impulse control issues. But I wouldn't leave my wallet out around someone with poor impulse control

I believe in locking stuff up. Ebags, among others, sell good pack safes. The unit weighs a pound. The cable can be run through the walking poles and around a bed post. I would keep money and passport on my person. http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/pacsafe-140/99933?productid=1263925#ratings-and-reviews

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back