• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Theft at Roncesvalles

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
I had my purse stolen in Ventosa and my poncho stolen yesterday in Santa Domingo. I hadn’t even used it. I left it on my bed when I went to the bathroom and didn’t notice it was gone till the next day. I also think someone stole my wooly beanie hat because it was gone the next morning too! Low, very low. If it was you and you are reading this, why are you here?

NEVER - LIKE EVER - be separated from your valuables, even for a moment. Cargo pants with lots of pockets help.

Cross torso bags, like a fanny or bum bag worn cross-body are also good. The less it looks like a woman's handbag - purse, the more of a deterrent it is.

If an albergue has lockable lockers - use them. If you need a small padlock - get one in the next ferreteria (hardware store) you come to. I always travel with the small combination padlock I usually use at my gym at home, attached to my rucksack - so it is always quick to hand.

As the new season ramps up in 2024 - consider this a wake up call. HELLO out there pilgrims!

The crimes mentioned so far in this thread are crimes of opportunity. A pilgrim naively let their personal items out of personal control for moments. This is the result. it is easily preventable.

This is a loud wake up call to everyone.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION.

Hope this helps.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
NEVER - LIKE EVER - be separated from your valuables, even for a moment. Cargo pants with lots of pockets help.

Cross torso bags, like a fanny or bum bag worn cross-body are also good. The less it looks like a woman's handbag - purse, the more of a deterrent it is.

If an albergue has lockable lockers - use them. If you need a small padlock - get one in the next ferreteria (hardware store) you come to. I always travel with the small combination padlock I usually use at my gym at home, attached to my rucksack - so it is always quick to hand.

As the new season ramps up in 2024 - consider this a wake up call. HELLO out there pilgrims!

The crimes mentioned so far in this thread are crimes of opportunity. A pilgrim naively let their personal items out of personal control for moments. This is the result. it is easily preventable.

This is a loud wake up call to everyone.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Wow. I would not think it necessary to lock up my poncho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My friend who started last Monday hit a 1st snag when her backpack with all the stuff did not make Bordeaux. (yes I know she should've worn at least one outfit and that should've included the hiking shoes but no use of going there now; it is what it is). Of course what surprised me that it was a relatively short flight from one EU country to another; I thought she'd be safe checking the backpack in...
Off to Decathlon she went and outfited herself with 'bare necessities' which included small backpack, couple of shirts and pants, shoes and poles.
When I saw this thread I texted her as an FYI to be cautions and she promptly replied that someone took her poles 2 days ago. Given that she should be in SDdC today - that would be someplace after Logrono (she didn't specify where it happened and I did not want to push the issue)

I must say I never took my valuables everywhere with me, and I wasn't by any means stupid or naive - just careful and very comfortable in all the places I stayed and the people around me and trusted my instincts.

I had gone expecting to have to shower with all my wordly belongings, but the first night I realised this wouldn't always be the case. Only once in Aruza in the municipal did I take my valuables to the shower room with me because it felt slightly uncomfortable not to.

I also didn't hear of one other incident on my whole CF, but it was Sept/Oct so maybe the banditos had already cleaned up and gone home for the season.

I'm not for one minute saying don't keep your valuables on you 24/7 if you feel the need to, but just don't think the Camino is riddled with bad people and please don't look upon every other pilgrim as a potential thief.

There are many many things you can do to minimise risk also. I only carried my phone, passport and a few hundred euros. No wallet. I had a bank card buried away incase it was ever needed. Everything was in different pockets in my rucksack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Theft at this albergue must be quite common. When I stayed there a woman had her passport stolen when she went to shower.
Why the h*ll do people think it's a good idea to leave valuables laying around?

I must say I never took my valuables everywhere with me, and I wasn't by any means stupid or naive - just careful and very comfortable in all the places I stayed and the people around me and trusted my instincts.
The vast majority of pilgrims will never have anything stolen, and your strategy will work at least 99% of the time, but just this week there have been several reports of pilgrims who did just that and were the victims of theft.

It's really important on a forum like this to appreciate we all have a very different sense of what constitutes safety, risk and prudent behaviour. Commands in cap locks are very Facebook.
The important thing here IMO is to think for yourself. On the camino your environment changes every day - often every hour - so if you are to negotiate it safely and without problems it helps to stay alert to changes and re-assess, re-assess constantly.
Tens of thousands of people walk the camino each year without experiencing theft. Some of them operate strong precautionary behaviours, many do not.
Staying in a small town or village amongst people you mostly have got to know (and who will naturally keep an eye out for you and your possessions) is nearly always safe, but you still need to assess each situation for new people and opportunities for access from outside etc and at night.
The Carbajalas convent in Leon is a case in point. I've been though Leon a few times hearing reports of recent thefts. One time it actually happened the night I was there and the thieves just took euro cash, just from Japanese and Korean pilgrims. There are lots of lockers there - they require a one euro coin, but you get that back when you reinsert the key. Hardly anyone uses them. It's fair to hypothesise that most pilgrims get lulled into a false sense of security by a week on little-town meseta and fail to adjust to city ways when they reach Leon. And thieves play on this.
I'm not saying it's safe to leave your valuables lying around (although many people do in little albergues) and I'm not saying you have to carry everything valuable at all times - most of us Europeans on the camino don't. But it makes sense to stay alert, 'read the room' and act accordingly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My waist bag with all my valuables goes in a sturdy grocery bag and into the shower room with me, and in the bottom of my sleep sack at night.
As for the new poncho in its bag stolen on the bed, why not keep it in your back pack out of eyesight to avoid the temptation of others?

Wow. I would not think it necessary to lock up my poncho.
The things you take the most protective care about those items, which, the loss of, would curtail your Camino. Other things: ponchos, pillows, clothing, inexpensive gadgets, can be replaced.

Passports, credit and debit cards, money, and electronics or medication are harder or impossible to replace.

Theft or loss of the former is an annoyance. but, loss or theft of the latter category of personal items can spoil your entire Camino.

I pack, and walk my Caminos as though I only had the clothes on my body, and maybe my fanny pack -bum bag worn cross body. My Camino would survive even outright theft or loss of my entire rucksack - a major hassle to be sure. But, I can effectively replace everything with a trip to the nearest Decathlon sports superstore. To be well and truly screwed, I would have to be stripped naked - not likely.

Note: Theft along the Camino is still VERY RARE. But the busier it gets, the more a focused criminal is likely to watch for pilgrims who are not paying attention. PAY ATTENTION.

Today's quick tip. When you stop for a break, use a large carabiner to fasten your rucksack to others. This way, a thief seeking to grab one rucksack might get three or four at one grab. The weight is not manageable. This is a cheap but effective deterrent. Also, I have found that the nite-ize #6 size carabiner works well for this. It is also very good for hanging your rucksack from a "pipe-type" bunk bed. Clip one side to the hauling loop on your rucksack and the other to a rail.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I politely disagree. In this Camino context, and especially if you are walking solo, you cannot be too careful at protecting your belongings.
An interesting conundrum, but I have to agree with the OP that you can go too far. at the extreme end of this argument you would not go at all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe it is less intimidating for those who live in Spain, the UK, etc. to possibly take a less troubled approach to losing valuables. But for myself, coming from the US, it would be a HUGE nuisance to lose my passport, credit cards, etc. and not worth the hassle. As per my post #16, I do not fret or worry, because all valuables are with me all the time...no big deal and I am not frightened of thieves in albergues.

An interesting conundrum, but I have to agree with the OP that you can go too far. at the extreme end of this argument you would not go at all.
To me it’s simple! You just need protect your phone and passport at all times. For me the wallet is becoming less important. I don’t carry cash and you can freeze cards, order cash in a split second!

There also an insurance angle! Leave your phone in plain sight because you trusted folks in the room with you won’t play out well with the insurance company.

Maybe it is less intimidating for those who live in Spain, the UK, etc. to possibly take a less troubled approach to losing valuables. But for myself, coming from the US, it would be a HUGE nuisance to lose my passport, credit cards, etc. and not worth the hassle. As per my post #16, I do not fret or worry, because all valuables are with me all the time...no big deal and I am not frightened of thieves in albergues.
I can assure you that even coming from the UK, losing a passport or a credit card would be a big deal! 😁

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can assure you that even coming from the UK, losing a passport or a credit card would be a big deal! 😁
I know and agree! I was referring to a couple of posts that sounded to me as though there should be little concern to be vigilant with protecting our valuables.

Last edited:
I know and agree! I was referring to a couple of posts that sounded to me as though there should be little concern to be vigilant with protecting our valuables.
I'm not sure any of the posts suggest anyone would have little concern for losing valuables. It's more a discussion of how far you would go to protect them versus the actual risk and how that might colour your Camino.

It's more a discussion of how far you would go to protect them versus the actual risk and how that might colour your Camino.
As per my post #16, I do not fret or worry, because all valuables are with me all the time...no big deal and I am not frightened of thieves in albergues, so it my Caminos are not colored.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not sure if this was mentioned above---it should be noted Roncesvalles (or at least the first 2-3 days) can be prime ground for pickpocket/thieves working either in pairs or small groups. Most pilgrims are wide-eyed and excited, their guard is down, everyone is chatting and getting to know one another. No one has nailed down their "routine" quite yet. Again, perfect ground for thieves to quietly infiltrate, disarm....do their thing, then slip out unnoticed.

Of course this isn't happening all the time - mostly the camino is a place of camaraderie and trust.

There's a quote "trust god, but tether your camel". Don't be paranoid, but trust your gut and stay alert.

Last edited:
I think last year there were thefts reported at Zubiri, too. So hard when your faith in all that is good about the Camino takes a hit. I hope those who were victims were able to bear the loss and didn't have to stop their Camino. That does happen once in a while...

As per my post #16, I do not fret or worry, because all valuables are with me all the time...no big deal and I am not frightened of thieves in albergues, so it my Caminos are not colored.
Agreed! Protecting your valuables should in no way colour your Camino. Looking after things isn’t saying you don’t trust others! It’s just sensible. Presumably when you go on Camino you shut and lock your front door. You are not saying you don’t trust your neighbours.

Whilst thefts are rare thieves do target hostels. It’s not as lucrative as student houses with their ‘5 bedrooms, 5 Apple Macs’ bonanza but there is a lot of money and tech under one roof, being shared by a transient group of strangers.

I have been backpacking for 40 plus years. I always wear a money belt under my clothes plus a bum bag with my phone over my clothes. They go to the shower with me. Even the bum bag goes in the sleeping bag. I wear the money belt to bed. The only time I don't do this is when i rent a locker and go for a swim. Its just the way it is. It is nice to take the money belt off when i get home. I am.much less cautious with my valuables at home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think last year there were thefts reported at Zubiri, too. So hard when your faith in all that is good about the Camino takes a hit. I hope those who were victims were able to bear the loss and didn't have to stop their Camino. That does happen once in a while...

When I stayed in Zubiri in '22 their doors wasn't locked all night.

Local youth walked in and out of the albergue at night to use the toilets and the vending machines.

I only noticed because I couldn't stand the noise in the dorm and slept on a bench in the dining room.

Perfect setup for thieves if an albergue can be accessed by anyone at night.

I hope it was only "forgotten" to lock it up and that is not what usually happens. Should have tried again this year but was asleep already before curfew this time 🤣.

So I guess the simple conclusion to all these stories of theft is, keep phone and wallet at your side all the time. It's not exactly rocket science.

Hmm. No comment.
(Off topic, but as an explanation: that year I had walked from home and had spent two months almost exclusively sleeping in my tent. Zubiri was my first albergue that year and it was a bit difficult to re-adapt to albergue life 😂. So, that was not meant as criticism towards dormitories in general or that one in particular. The Zubiri albergue municipal is beautiful now after renovations. Totally recommend).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been backpacking for 40 plus years. I always wear a money belt under my clothes plus a bum bag with my phone over my clothes. They go to the shower with me. Even the bum bag goes in the sleeping bag. I wear the money belt to bed. The only time I don't do this is when i rent a locker and go for a swim. Its just the way it is. It is nice to take the money belt off when i get home. I am.much less cautious with my valuables at home.
Ditto. 100%.
Even down to the “Backpacking for 40 years “ :)

I’m not hyper -vigilant, it’s never coloured my trip or my Camino, but as @TravellingMan22 says, if I go out I lock my door. Basic common sense. Which, unfortunately, is no longer 'Common'.

The ones I actually feel most sorry for are those that lose important items such as ponchos and poles. Because whilst I take care with those items I certainly never do more than take very basic precautions.

Victim blaming? Yes, perhaps it is a little. Certainly that is how the insurance companies will see it. If you don't leave your valuables unattended in an Albergue full of strangers, you won't leave yourself open to such opportunistic theft. Because theft it is, not robbery.

Bearing in mind the camel quote above even the Bible says "lead us not into temptation".... .

I appreciate that how we choose to interpretate that is very individual. Clearly for @dreaming, myself, and a good many others it simply means not leaving our valuables unattended.

Ditto. 100%.
Even down to the “Backpacking for 40 years “ :)

I’m not hyper -vigilant, it’s never coloured my trip or my Camino, but as @TravellingMan22 says, if I go out I lock my door. Basic common sense. Which, unfortunately, is no longer 'Common'.

The ones I actually feel most sorry for are those that lose important items such as ponchos and poles. Because whilst I take care with those items I certainly never do more than take very basic precautions.

Victim blaming? Yes, perhaps it is a little. Certainly that is how the insurance companies will see it. If you don't leave your valuables unattended in an Albergue full of strangers, you won't leave yourself open to such opportunistic theft. Because theft it is, not robbery.

Bearing in mind the camel quote above even the Bible says "lead us not into temptation".... .

I appreciate that how we choose to interpretate that is very individual. Clearly for @dreaming, myself, and a good many others it simply means not leaving our valuables unattended.
I think it depends a bit. You may lock your door every time you leave the house, but some of us live in places where that is not necessary. Having said that, I wouldn't go away overnight and leave my door open.

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
In season 1 - episode 1 of Kung Fu, Cain does not fight when the prospector searches him for valuables. When the kid he's traveling with suggest Cain is weak because he wouldn't fight, Cain says, "Could you not see that I had nothing to protect?" When I travel I try to follow this example, bringing only what I can afford to lose. The only things of any real value I have are my passport, wallet & phone, so I keep those on me. If someone takes anything else, it's just less for me to carry. Travel light...

Once you learn and adopt your personal methods for protecting the most valuable and difficult to replace items you carry, you can relax. Personal security precautions and situational awareness is something you should have learned by adulthood. I also had advanced experience with this sort of thing during my former career - pre-retirement.

There is no need to be paranoid. Having adopted my optimum personal security configuration and practices, I relax and enjoy my Camino. I am sorry if I inferred otherwise.

The Camino is VERY safe, probably safer than your home, But, there are two categories of people who would commit theft along the Camino. Neither is violent ,and both involve crimes of opportunity.

1.Pilgrims without resources - they typically will "borrow" gear they do not have and might not be able to afford. They are welcome to my stuff if they feel they need it more than me. I see this at some time on every Camino I have made. It is usually confined to a pair of shoes or sandals, a towel, an item of outer clothing, or something consumable like snacks or bottled water.

In fact, over the years, I have taken more than one "down on their heels" pilgrim into a Decathlon superstore and purchased them whatever they needed. I have often fed or shared my snacks with countless pilgrims over the years.

One year, I even handed out inexpensive micro-fleece beanies obtained at a China store, when northern Spain was having a late winter and many pilgrims were unprepared. I recall I went through about two-dozen from Pamplona to Sarria. They were only €1,20 per cap. So, it was a bargain to provide pilgrims who were less prepared with a warm hat. I started with 10, then resupplied at the Oriental shops in subsequent cities. They all seemed to sell the same items.

Also, I regularly carry an extra bottle of water and snacks for just such an occasion. You would perhaps be surprised by the number of "donativo" pilgrims who walk the Camino trusting to the kindness of others. However, many are too proud to ask for help. So, I try to be perceptive and simply offer my excess.

Some people pick up trash along their Camino route (I am a veteran "Ditch Pig - 2016.") I have been picking up fallen pilgrims since my first Camino in 2013. I only ever ask that they pay it forward, and help another pilgrim who may need it.

2. Thieves - Sadly, there are some people who have learned to prey on clueless pilgrims, and less than secure albergues. While this is extremely rare, it is seen more during the peak pilgrimage season. It does make sense, seen from the criminal's perspective. The most desired items to "borrow" are cellular phones and cash, followed by ID documents and passports.

The late US criminal John Dillinger (from the 1920s and 1930s) was asked once why he persisted in robbing banks - his specialty. His dry reply was "Because that is where the money is."

So, learn your lessons, or read other's advice and experiences. Develop your personal comfort level with your resources and "stuff." Develop and implement a standard security practice that works for YOU. Then relax, smell the flowers and enjoy your Camino.

Treat others you encounter the way you would have them treat you.

Hope this clarifies and helps.

Tom

Maybe so, but I don't understand what effort it takes to turn the key in the lock upon leaving the house.
I think that’s because you and I have a different mindset. My Grandfather used to live in a village like that, every time he went away he used to have to find the key first! Clearly , @Molly Cassidy is fortunate to live in such an environment. I’m envious

On this thread some have written that they had not been vigilant of their valuables, and nothing bad happened. Yes, 99% of pilgrims are good people. However, all it takes is one person to spoil it for others. We take our own risks/chances. Even though I've never been in a bad accident, I've always worn my seatbelt. One bad occurrence can ruin my day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank goodness for the renovations at the Zubiri muni this past year. I stayed there in 2015 on my first Camino and it was one of two least favorite albergues I have ever stayed at. The large open showers were in a separate building, as well.
When I stopped in to show my family in 2017, they had a large gym out back and it was filled with pilgrims on mats on the floor.

The amount of victim blaming on this thread is quite remarkable. I would be more interested to hear about the incidents to know how wide spread it is right now. Some of the thieves may be here. Let’s send them a little guilt for not living up to the spirit of the Camino. They shouldn’t t be on it.

However, I don’t believe it is widespread but definitely does happen sadly. But it should not deter anyone from pursuing a Camino.

Personally I lost a couple of items off the close line in Palais de Reí including my favourite shorts. Not much you can do there unless you’re willing to wait with your clothes to dry. Everything I carry is air dry only.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The things you take the most protective care about those items, which, the loss of, would curtail your Camino. Other things: ponchos, pillows, clothing, inexpensive gadgets, can be replaced.

Passports, credit and debit cards, money, and electronics or medication are harder or impossible to replace.

Theft or loss of the former is an annoyance. but, loss or theft of the latter category of personal items can spoil your entire Camino.

I pack, and walk my Caminos as though I only had the clothes on my body, and maybe my fanny pack -bum bag worn cross body. My Camino would survive even outright theft or loss of my entire rucksack - a major hassle to be sure. But, I can effectively replace everything with a trip to the nearest Decathlon sports superstore. To be well and truly screwed, I would have to be stripped naked - not likely.

Note: Theft along the Camino is still VERY RARE. But the busier it gets, the more a focused criminal is likely to watch for pilgrims who are not paying attention. PAY ATTENTION.

Today's quick tip. When you stop for a break, use a large carabiner to fasten your rucksack to others. This way, a thief seeking to grab one rucksack might get three or four at one grab. The weight is not manageable. This is a cheap but effective deterrent. Also, I have found that the nite-ize #6 size carabiner works well for this. It is also very good for hanging your rucksack from a "pipe-type" bunk bed. Clip one side to the hauling loop on your rucksack and the other to a rail.

Hope this helps,

Tom
When travelling alone, I use a long piece of Velcro that attaches to itself. I keep it stored on my walking poles. In a cafe I do the waist belt of my bag up around some part of a chair (assuming it’s ok to have my bag on a free chair and not bothering others) or table leg. The Velcro around similar points then provides a second point of deterrence. Valuables are always on me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe so, but I don't understand what effort it takes to turn the key in the lock upon leaving the house.
It's not about effort. I always leave the terrace door open because I like air in my house. I don't need to lock everything because I live in a village that is safe.

The amount of victim blaming on this thread is quite remarkable. I would be more interested to hear about the incidents to know how wide spread it is right now. Some of the thieves may be here. Let’s send them a little guilt for not living up to the spirit of the Camino. They shouldn’t t be on it.

However, I don’t believe it is widespread but definitely does happen sadly. But it should not deter anyone from pursuing a Camino.

Personally I lost a couple of items off the close line in Palais de Reí including my favourite shorts. Not much you can do there unless you’re willing to wait with your clothes to dry. Everything I carry is air dry only.
Perhaps it is NOT a "victim blaming" so much as an ongoing warning of a sort to pretty much everybody. "Use common sense and keep your valuables well protected lest you are running a risk of becoming a victim " is not blaming anyone. There is a reason why there is a saying "God Helps those who help themselves" and it rings true even if one does not believe in God.
Suuuure go ahead and send the thieves a little guilt for not living up to the spirit of the Camino and admonish that they shouldn’t t be on it. I'm sure they all will cry a river and reform immediately. NEWSFLASH they don't care!!! There is a very popular in the Soviet literature book titled "The 12 Chairs". One of many minor characters was someone labeled (and I'm loosely translating here) The Shameful Thief. Every time he stole he fell deep shame and remorse.... but steal he continued. And so it goes with the best of them; never mind the worst.
You are absolutely right that "is is not widespread but definitely does happen sadly. and that it should not deter anyone from pursuing a Camino." but for the zillionth time pursuing a Camino does not automatically means to leave your brains at the door (wether you lock it as @Camino Chrissy or not as @Molly Cassidy 🫠)
Buen Camino Y'All 👍 ✌️☮️

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
🤦‍♀️ Roncevalles has bunk bed-side lockers so hopefully thefts weren’t by breaking into lockers.

No, the lockers were not broken. And it was a couple, who decided both to take a shower at the same time.
I always wonder: when there is a locker, why do people not use it? And if you are together, why not shower one after the other?
Questions .... questions.

I always wonder: when there is a locker, why do people not use it? And if you are together, why not shower one after the other?
Naivete, perhaps? Not imagining that people in such a place as Roncesvalles would take anything? Just guessing, based on my own first perception of the place. (That said, I did take my valuables with me into the shower, having been warned here..)

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not.

This sounds like the work of professionals, likely more than one person. Be vigilant.

TBH, it sounds like an opportunist, as Trecile says, keep valuables with you, remove the opportunity.
TBH, it sounds like the work of professionals. Stealing cash, but leaving wallets or purses otherwise undisturbed, affords the thief or thieves more time to get away before the crime is discovered. It's what separates professionals thieves from amateurs.

We can all do our bit, by being aware and not allow ourselves to get complacent. We are each responsible for our own stuff.

€83,-
Thanks for your comments!! I'm like you, I'm careful but trusting as I believe 99%+ of the people I run into, especially other hikers, are worthy of my trust!! I'm 67, I have hiked and travelled extensively and I've never had a bad experience!!
That’s what the three young people believed about the “nice older lady pilgrim” who they walked from Zubiri with, and who told them she would watch their stuff while they showered - only to return to find their cash and cards stolen and their Camino over in Pamplona.

Nobody has had a bad experience…until they do.

And it usually only takes one theft to teach a person to be a little more vigilant.

That’s what the three young people believed about the “nice older lady pilgrim” who they walked from Zubiri with, and who told them she would watch their stuff while they showered - only to return to find their cash and cards stolen and their Camino over in Pamplona.

Confidence artist.. oldest trick in the book.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My friend who started last Monday hit a 1st snag when her backpack with all the stuff did not make Bordeaux. (yes I know she should've worn at least one outfit and that should've included the hiking shoes but no use of going there now; it is what it is). Of course what surprised me that it was a relatively short flight from one EU country to another; I thought she'd be safe checking the backpack in...
Off to Decathlon she went and outfited herself with 'bare necessities' which included small backpack, couple of shirts and pants, shoes and poles.
When I saw this thread I texted her as an FYI to be cautions and she promptly replied that someone took her poles 2 days ago. Given that she should be in SDdC today - that would be someplace after Logrono (she didn't specify where it happened and I did not want to push the issue)
My friend almost accidentally 'stole' a fellow pilgrim's poles. She had not brought any but was feeling the lack. The hospitalera assured us she could choose from those in the umbrella stand by the door: 'they've all been there since last year.' They were mostly a mismatched lot and none were expensive types; she chose the only matching pair, took them into the bunkroom and set them by her bunk. The next morning very early an older man crept out like a wee mouse and then a short time later reappeared at the door with a worried face, clutching two mismatched poles and indicating in a mix of languages that one was like his poles but the other wasn't. 😬😬 My friend grabbed the 'adopted' poles and presented them to him - how his face lit up. We were so glad we hadn't set off before he did. Possible moral: don't leave your poles by the door unless you have to. Also: some thefts may be genuine mistakes.

No, the lockers were not broken. And it was a couple, who decided both to take a shower at the same time.
Questions .... questions.
Maybe they were doing more than showering? ;)

Sad for the losses but what were those pilgrims thinking? They are in a foreign country surrounded by strangers, Crikey, lambs and wolves - we must be "as innocent as doves but as wise as serpents" out there!

I never have my important items; money, cards, passport, credential, phone, etc separate from me. I wear a small zipped shoulder bag - when I enter a refugio the bag stays on me, it goes in the shower with me, is inside my sleeping bag at night - a whole rucksack and contents can be replaced easily but not those items.
I even use a small solar panel to keep phone charged so it isn't left charging with all the others.
And no, I am not fearful or suspicious of others, just sensible.

Here my shoulder bag - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166604604202

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
That seems entirely reasonable. Personally I use a power bank to charge my phone and camera. If it's stolen I can get another, not an expensive item.

Sad for the losses but what were those pilgrims thinking? They are in a foreign country surrounded by strangers, Crikey, lambs and wolves - we must be "as innocent as doves but as wise as serpents" out there!

I never have my important items; money, cards, passport, credential, phone, etc separate from me. I wear a small zipped shoulder bag - when I enter a refugio the bag stays on me, it goes in the shower with me, is inside my sleeping bag at night - a whole rucksack and contents can be replaced easily but not those items.
I even use a small solar panel to keep phone charged so it isn't left charging with all the others.
And no, I am not fearful or suspicious of others, just sensible.

Here my shoulder bag - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166604604202

View attachment 169097
Yep and your journey to and from Camino! On a train all day today (well 2 trains). Carriage empty apart from me, next stop not for a while. Got to use the bathroom and think do I just leave my phone on charge and my wallet and passport on small table. Chance of theft a smaller number than I could ever write <0.00000…..1. Still no though….no chance!!!

do I just leave my phone on charge and my wallet and passport on small table. Chance of theft a smaller number than I could ever write <0.00000…..1. Still no though….no chance!!!
I agree. What is important is to make the precaution an automatic practice. Then you don't need to be constantly weighing the risks and worrying about them.

Most read last week in this forum

They are expecting snow at altitude. Talking to other pilgrims, some are going Napoleon anyway. Thoughts? I was hoping to go Napoleon myself. I might add, lots of communication barriers at the...
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...
Hello - we left Vigo Monday and have had rain daily for 2 days. Today lots of mud. Our concern is the forecast is getting worse. Tomorrow we reach Pontevedra. On Friday we are supposed to go to...
Hi! I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm solo hiking the Portuguese route starting next week. I've heard about some safety Apps for Spain and Portugal, but I can't seem to find what these apps are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.