• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time Lapse

tomp734444

I have just looked at my profile and, much to my surprise and not a little regret, I learn that I joined this forum on 28 September, 2012. I presume that the purpose of my enrolment was the thought of undertaking a pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago in the near future.

I will start my first Camino on 7 September 2019 - fully SEVEN YEARS later! What kept me away for so long?

Well, there was the small matter of recovery from a cardiac arrest; then there were family concerns that I was “past it”. Life in general formed an impenetrable barrier to my wish to hike The Way.

And of course, FEAR! “Fear of what?” you may ask. Well fear of pain & discomfort, fear of injury, fear of ridicule and above all, fear of failure. Well, I have decided to set aside all of the above and booked my trip. I fly from Stansted to Biarritz two weeks tomorrow 5 September (Ryanair pilots permitting). After an overnight stay in Bayonne, and a train to SJPdP the following day, I get my first taste of Albergue life before setting-out on 7 September.

As I mused on these things, I started to wonder if it was unusual to put the Camino off for so long? Or did others also take time to build-up to it? It would be good to hear other people’s experiences.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino Pilgrim... I walked my first camino following cancer. I was very fearful for similar reasons to you but I was also always sure I would walk. I decided in 2013 and went the following year... I've been walking every year since.

I hope your walk is wonderful.

Nothing is unusual about the Camino - it is what is and you get what you need not necessarily what you want from it...

I've met pilgrims who took a decade or more before they took the first step along the Way and others who only decided the previous month/week/day and set off totally unprepared yet full of belief. Pilgrims who had trained for years and those who had never walked any distance in their lives. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Our trio took 5 years from the initial seeding (Martin Sheen has a lot to answer for!) to undertaking the actual walk. Work, family caring commitments, other planned treks, funds and training took up the space in-between.

I'm in awe of your journey so far, overcoming both physical and well intentioned concerns... and facing off with your fears... naming them is a great start as you are already growing beyond them. I realise that fear of failure is a big concern and I truly hope that you will find that the journey itself becomes the destination and, as such, there can be no failure.

May you go out in peace and may you come back in joy.
On the road in between, may you find what fills your heart, feeds your mind and inspires your imagination.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nothing is unusual about the Camino - it is what is and you get what you need not necessarily what you want from it...

I've met pilgrims who took a decade or more before they took the first step along the Way and others who only decided the previous month/week/day and set off totally unprepared yet full of belief. Pilgrims who had trained for years and those who had never walked any distance in their lives. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Our trio took 5 years from the initial seeding (Martin Sheen has a lot to answer for!) to undertaking the actual walk. Work, family caring commitments, other planned treks, funds and training took up the space in-between.

I'm in awe of your journey so far, overcoming both physical and well intentioned concerns... and facing off with your fears... naming them is a great start as you are already growing beyond them. I realise that fear of failure is a big concern and I truly hope that you will find that the journey itself becomes the destination and, as such, there can be no failure.

Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I mused on these things, I started to wonder if it was unusual to put the Camino off for so long? Or did others also take time to build-up to it? It would be good to hear other people’s experiences.

Buen Camino!
I did my first Camino in 1989, but it wasn't what I considered a "proper" Camino, so I meant to come back and do it again some time - "properly!" I did - in 2016, fully 27 years later. What took up the time? Meeting a girl, going to grad school, getting married, starting and continuing a career, starting a family, raising kids. Life. And then I was in my fifties and thoughts of the Camino started coming back, really strongly. At that point, my thinking was that it would probably be a trip that I would do when I retired. But my son was interested in walking with me and wasn't sure he would be in a place to do so in his life when I happened to retire. And I had promised him a trip with me when he was sixteen. So it happened then.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back