• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toe mound pain

Lauris

Time of past OR future Camino
Possibly 2016.
Hello everyone!

I've never walked the Camino, but would love to try this year. My potential issue is toe mound pain - I know that after walking longer distances it gets pretty intense in my right foot. I know there are certain orthopedic products you can put in your show to soften your step, but I want to ask does anyone else have similar issues and has any advice or products they use?

Here's an image of toe mounds, for clarification: http://www.footeducation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Morton-Neuroma-Figure-1.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not familiar myself with it, but somebody I met on the Camino suffered from it and he had reasonable success with wearing really wide trekking sandals with an additionally cushioning insole. Others I know swear by 'barefoot shoes' like 5 finger shoes. Usual disclaimer: Ask your health care professional first! Buen Camino, SY

I've found putting some of those gel 'Party feet' (there are lots of brands but they're basically the same thing-I happen to use boots brand as they're not too expensive) things either on the insole or sometimes, if the upper surface of the insole itself has some cushioning, between the sole and the underside of the insole of the boot/shoe. That gives me enough cushioning for extended walking over long distances. Note that I walk in cold weather but the plastic nature of the gel may have an impact in terms of sweating in hot weather.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a neuroma and when I did my Camino in 2014 I would alternate between hiking boots and whenever feasible hiking sandals. The hiking sandals did double duty as my auberge footwear. Now, when I hike, I stop every 90 to 120 minutes and massage my foot for 5 minutes, this seems to work. I have seen several podiatrists about the problem and none of them have a gauranteed solution.

I have several suggestions:
  • I believe I have seen commercially available gel-filled insoles for this condition in pharmacies. Do your research. For example, in the US, here is what the Dr. Scholl's site suggests for "pain in the ball of the foot" (at least it is in the ballpark of where your pain manifests). https://www.drscholls.com/footconditions/balloffootpain/
  • Consult your podiatrist. A custom foot orthotic might help. I have them (for a different condition). They simply replace the insole that came with the hiking boot or shoe. I rinse and dry them nightly at my lodgings so they do not get too "funky.":eek:
  • Absent that, and as others have suggested, experiment with different types of insoles, socks, and padding.
Finally, make sure the "toe box" of your shoes or boots is large enough to provide plenty of space so your feet are not constricted. Properly fitted hiking boots or shoes should hold your foot in place at the top of the shoe (where you lace it).

The heel should be free to ride up and down a bit (less than one inch - 3 cm). The front of the shoe / boot should have enough space so, when the shoe is tightened with laces, your feet NEVER strike the inside front of the toe box on a down hill. THAT wil cause additional pain, blisters and loss of toenails. It can ruin any Camino.

I hope this helps.

I've found putting some of those gel 'Party feet' (there are lots of brands but they're basically the same thing-

I wonder if they would keep my feet from sliding forward and hurting my toes when I walk. I've followed the recommendation to tighten my shoelaces up above the arch, but that doesn't help. My second toe is longer than my big toe and so I need a larger shoe than I normally would (I have Keens for their wide toe box).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also wear Keen's (which I love) but I get blisters under my toenails and then end up loosing my nails. I have realized that I tend to scrunch up my toes when I walk, especially going downhill ( I think it's the result of a lifetime of clutching on to flipflops/Dr. Scholls sandals, etc.) This year, I'm trying hammer toe gel cushions (I bought them for $1.00 a pair out of China, but you can get them at drug stores for $5 each). Maybe these could help?

Thanks. They look worth a try.

I wonder if they would keep my feet from sliding forward and hurting my toes when I walk. I've followed the recommendation to tighten my shoelaces up above the arch, but that doesn't help. My second toe is longer than my big toe and so I need a larger shoe than I normally would (I have Keens for their wide toe box).

If you put the gel pad between the sole and the insole of your boot then 'sliding' and even if you use the gel pad on top of your insole with correct lacing (this can take a while to get right) it shouldn't cause slipping. But again I'm an Autumn, Winter Spring walker so the extra heat/sweat factor is one that might cause slippage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everything you add to the boot changes the fit. Massage and stretching may ease the pain in the evening, but I suspect that you will just need to take an NSAID pain killer and take the pain.

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.