• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too late for dinner in SJPP?

Liddybee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2017
Porto to Santiago September 2018
Via Francigena Upcoming in 2020
Greetings all!
I have flights booked for the end of August and with the timing I will not be arriving into St.Jean before 8 o’clock in the evening. I was hoping to stay at Beilari but I imagine an 8:00 to 8:15 arrival will be too late for dinner. Can anyone tell me what time they serve the meal? Any other recommendations for a place to stay and/ or a place to eat before I bed down for the night?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dinner in Beilari is usually at 7.30pm.
Thanks…it’s what I suspected. I’m assuming I’ll have to find a place that put doesn’t include an evening meal and head out to eat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, I would contact them and tell them your situation. I bet they'd put a plate aside for you.
Great suggestion! It’s definitely worth a shot

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the same situation.

Usually I don't book accommodation, but since I'll arrive with the last train and the campsite is probably not open yet for the season, I asked at Beilari if I can stay there even though I'll arrive a bit late for dinner.

Apparently it is okay, they accepted my booking and told me just to come straight to the gite from the station :) So I'd ask them and explain the situation, it seems they know the problem.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Arrive at Beilari before 10 pm. They will tell you this. The door is locked at 10. No one will answer the door after that time.

I say this as I was on the same schedule as yourself, also in August. The bus was delayed and our arrival was 10:05. Racing up to the hostel was a waste. I had to find somewhere else to sleep that night. The Pilgrim office was still open, believe it or not, and their suggestions proves most useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arrive at Beilari before 10 pm. They will tell you this. The door is locked at 10. No one will answer the door after that time.

I say this as I was on the same schedule as yourself, also in August. The bus was delayed and our arrival was 10:05. Racing up to the hostel was a waste. I had to find somewhere else to sleep that night. The Pilgrim office was still open, believe it or not, and their suggestions proves most useful.
I was just emailing with them to book a room for April. They told me they "do not accept guests that arrive after 8:30p." I'm not sure on their curfew rules.

Most albergues close at 10 p.m. If you want something later, choose a hotel. The whole concept of the Beilari experience is the meal and surrounding activities... Otherwise, it is just a bed...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Greetings all!
I have flights booked for the end of August and with the timing I will not be arriving into St.Jean before 8 o’clock in the evening. I was hoping to stay at Beilari but I imagine an 8:00 to 8:15 arrival will be too late for dinner. Can anyone tell me what time they serve the meal? Any other recommendations for a place to stay and/ or a place to eat before I bed down for the night?
Both times I've started in Saint-Jean I arrived with the last train from Bayonne approx 8.10 PM and managed to get dinner (pilgrim's menu) at the Hurrup Eta Klik restaurant on Rue de la Citadelle (main pilgrim street)

In late april last year I stayed at a lovley private guest house just opposite that restaurant: Maison Simonenia. Run by a really nice lady. Ok breakfast as well as I remember.

I didn't find any open shops for snacks etc that evening nor the next morning, so it's a good idea to buy before arriving. There is a bakery open in the morning that sells sandwiches though.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally, I would contact them and tell them your situation. I bet they'd put a plate aside for you.
Greetings all!
In 2019 my Camino partner had a late arrival to Beilari. They did save a plate for her. Just let them know. 👣🎒💖

Greetings all!
Seems they have become more understanding to late arrivals. My experience with Beilari in September 2013 was when the train from Bayonne was delayed I had to give up my reserved bed. I called the Gite from Bayonne train station to inform her we would be late, possibly arriving after the dinner bell. She was quite stern informing me I would have to give up my bed. I don’t recall the exact time we strolled up to the pilgrims office, a little past 8:00PM. While waiting in line, I decided to knock on the door to the Gite, a woman answered. I was filled with excitement as I introduced myself, she was abrupt and short with me telling me my bed was given away. Oh, I explained. I just wanted to meet you, to say hello. She closed the door. I got the feeling I was interrupting something, dinner perhaps? The pilgrims office did a wonderful job finding beds for us who didn’t have a plan B. My first Camino started just the way it was meant to. In the attic above Gite Le Chemen ver I’Etoile with an Irishman. 😎👣🌻 Buen Camino!
Attick%20SJPdP.jpeg

Last edited:
@Fyrfalk - Oh I am sure that there is a way to get dinner in St Jean even at late hour (and thanks for confirming this).
I do believe the OP's concern was a specific situation with Beilari - whether or not she'll have a dinner if she arrived after the "set\usual dinner time".

That said - may be I will venture out for an outside repast next time I'm in the area ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.... and all these stories about "arriving late" somewhat take me to another topic (which just happens to be yet another ongoing thread) namely - (to simplify) plod on ahead or spend the night in Paris and take train next day.
Guess which way I am leaning?! 😇

.... and all these stories about "arriving late" somewhat take me to another topic (which just happens to be yet another ongoing thread) namely - (to simplify) plod on ahead or spend the night in Paris and take train next day.
Guess which way I am leaning?! 😇
Paris!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@David61 the ever famous ball game which breaks the ice for the "new pilgrims" ( and who knows some of them might make a Camino Family and become friends for life) and somewhat sets the tone of Camaraderie for the whole Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back