• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too Many Qs! Credencial/sleeping bag/training/albergues

Mrna

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello! Excited first time pilgrim here, flying into A Coruña and starting in Ferrol end of May. I have a lot of questions, so any thoughts from recent experiences are welcome!

- Not sure my credencial is going to arrive via mail in time. How easy is it to show up and get one from the Oficina Municipal del Turismo in Ferrol?

- Did you bring a sleeping bag/liner/sheets? Wondering about this route’s albergues specifically and what weight is worthwhile.

- I’m interested in speaking Spanish as much as I can—how much did you find you needed it along the way?

- I’ve read it’s a quick but rigorous route. How quickly did you complete and with what training?

- It’s busy season, no? Should I be looking to book albergues ahead a night? Kind of wondering about what the worst case scenario is…

- Any great albergue experiences or other tips?? Thank you for reading!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Let me to comment on just a couple of your questions.

Even though you are walking in late May, I have found the weather in Galicia pretty unpredictable and have encountered significant rain in the past. Therefore, I like carrying a 1-season sleeping bag for those damp, chilly nights. Regarding weight, my bag is just over one pound. Since I keep my entire kit to around just 6 kilos, I don’t mind the extra few ounces of the sleeping bag since my pack is light to begin with. So, if I were to need a little extra warmth, I’ve got it.

Your opportunities to speak Spanish are everywhere. From Spanish pilgrims to encounters in towns, you’ll have great speaking Spanish.

And let me add, if you have the time, walk on to Finisterre. We walked from Ferrol to SdC in an easy 5 days, spent two nights in Santiago, and then headed out for another four days of walking to the coast.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
@Mrna , welcome to the forum.

1/ Credencial: Readily available at the Oficina Municipal de Turismo e de Atención ao Peregrino at the Port (starting point), according to Google it's open 8 until 13.00 daily.

2/ in April '23 I just carried a silk liner, but I sleep warm so each to their own.

3/ I learnt a few basic phrases and words of Spanish, I didn't really need it but it was nice/ respectful. Because so many fellow pilgrims were Spanish I sincerely wish I had learnt more. Most cultures love it when you make an effort, I'm sure any attempts you make will be welcomed!

4/ most people complete the Inglés in four to five days, after about eight weeks of moderate training I easily walked it in five. I didn't find it in the slightest bit 'rigorous' but then I've done a moderate amount of hiking when I was younger so my expectations are different from somebody that hasn't.
Some prefer to take eight days or even longer.

5/ because of time constraints I pre-booked almost everything. Normally it would be unnecessary however it was Semana Santa which is extremely busy. The Camino was absolutely packed, but with the exception of Bruma there was accommodation available literally everywhere. Often the albergues would be completely full, however there was always a hotel.

The only real pinch point on the entire route is Bruma. Especially if there is a public holiday or long weekend of some description, because on those occasions the Spanish flock to this Camino. Accommodation is very limited there, both the public and private Albergues are small, and there is just one pension and a hotel nearby (1.5km away). On multiple occasions last year to my personal knowledge everything was full and people either had to taxi or walk on an additional 10 kilometers. Something to keep in mind!

It's a wonderful first Camino, enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
-very easy
-depends on how warm you sleep. A liner or very light (one season) bag should be sufficient
- Spanish very useful on the Ingles and always appreciated
-four days- but I’m an active Walker. It’s not off road. Only two ascents worth mentioning, but not arduous.
-the Ingles is getting more popular. I’ve never booked, but I don’t walk at popular times and options are limited.

Pack a light waterproof.

I didn't find it in the slightest bit 'rigorous' but then I've done a moderate amount of hiking when I was younger so my expectations are different from somebody that hasn't.
A few weeks back someone commented on the "mountain walking" on the Ingles. Expectations and perceptions certainly can vary!

Will you be sleeping in albergues or private rooms/hotels? If albergues, you will need at a minimum a silk liner bag. Some people carry a regular sleeping bag (light wt..) and others carry a silk liner with a light down quilt that you can stuff inside the liner with you to keep warm (slides off otherwise). Many albergues give you disposable pillowcase and fitted sheet. I carry a scarf to put over the pillow and also wear in the evening or when chilly.

Hotels and private rooms will generally have sheets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
THE INTERNET IS THE BEST! Thanks, everyone, for the speedy replies—this anecdotal evidence is so helpful 🙏 I love that everyone has different takeaways, so keep the thoughts coming if you have them :)

@Mrna , you may not have realised this but if you click on the blue banner Camino Inglés (from Ferrol/A Corona) that the moderators have kindly installed for you above your first post it will take you to an entire sub forum which is all about the Inglés. There's loads of great information, probably every question you could ask has already been answered. There's also of course loads of personal opinion, much of it contradictory... Such is the nature of the forum. Enjoy reading!!

Hello! Excited first time pilgrim here, flying into A Coruña and starting in Ferrol end of May. I have a lot of questions, so any thoughts from recent experiences are welcome!

- Not sure my credencial is going to arrive via mail in time. How easy is it to show up and get one from the Oficina Municipal del Turismo in Ferrol?

- Did you bring a sleeping bag/liner/sheets? Wondering about this route’s albergues specifically and what weight is worthwhile.

- I’m interested in speaking Spanish as much as I can—how much did you find you needed it along the way?

- I’ve read it’s a quick but rigorous route. How quickly did you complete and with what training?

- It’s busy season, no? Should I be looking to book albergues ahead a night? Kind of wondering about what the worst case scenario is…

- Any great albergue experiences or other tips?? Thank you for reading!!
Of course you have multitudes of Spanish speakers wherever you go. When you have more time to walk you should think about walking a less traveled Camino like the Aragonés, Vasco or VDLP as examples. I have walked all three (of course there are others) where I could count on 1 hand the number of people I encountered who could speak any English. Great places to work on your Spanish.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Is a bad idea to go to Betanzos from A Coruna instead of Sergude? Does anybody did this? Could be a valid option? Thank you for your opinions or advice

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.