• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino training

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take the time to build up, one day is not what it is about. People ask me how far do you walk a day? I say, on average 15 miles. They think about it and respond, I can probably walk 15 miles. Yes, but can you do it day after day after day. I did the Camino Frances it was 36 of those days. Remember, it is walk, eat, sleep; walk, eat, sleep; walk, eat, sleep. . .

Take the time to build up, one day is not what it is about. People ask me how far do you walk a day? I say, on average 15 miles. They think about it and respond, I can probably walk 15 miles. Yes, but can you do it day after day after day. I did the Camino Frances it was 36 of those days. Remember, it is walk, eat, sleep; walk, eat, sleep; walk, eat, sleep. . .
Yep that is the challenge. Tomorrow, I am watching The Ashes ( England v Australia at cricket) In September, I am getting up and walking another 12 miles.
Bring it on

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have started our training with 9 miles on the North Downs Way in Kent, UK.
My son and I did a short section of this yesterday. I started at Rochester Cathedral, but we picked up the trail at Borstal, and made it to the The Robin Hood. There are stunning views across the Medway along the section we walked.

Just don't "train" so hard you hurt yourselves.
MOST pilgrims just wait and train on the Camino.
If you can walk 5 miles, stop and rest for half hour, then do that again, then again, then again, that's all you need. Don't push. Just walk at a comfortable pace. The Camino is not a race. Enjoy it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Hertsseasider

Sounds like you have the walking part well under control. I would just add that if you are planning to carry your backpack, it's a good idea to do some training walks with your full backpack. That added weight on hips, knees, ankles is not the same as walking back pack free. But you have plenty of time for that until your walk in September. All the best.

We are doing the Ingles in September. Have started our training with 9 miles on the North Downs Way in Kent, UK.

A bit sore but happy. Next target is 12 miles.
Is this Alice Cooper????? Or are you just doing the Camino with him???? Wow so cool!;););)

My son and I did a short section of this yesterday. I started at Rochester Cathedral, but we picked up the trail at Borstal, and made it to the The Robin Hood. There are stunning views across the Medway along the section we walked.
I should have added that I think you are in a wonderful area in which to conduct your training, no matter where on the North Downs Way you happen to be.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is this Alice Cooper????? Or are you just doing the Camino with him???? Wow so cool!;););)
Alice it is indeed. We did the meet n greet in Berlin 2019. Amazing experience.
He'll be helping us along on the Ingles. Schools Out Camino.

MOST pilgrims just wait and train on the Camino.
If you can walk 5 miles
Not training at all can be a recipe for if not disaster, some misery. If you can't walk at least 5 miles on multiple consecutive days you definitely need training.

It's also during long training walks on multiple consecutive days that you learn about what your feet need to avoid blisters.

We are doing the Ingles in September. Have started our training with 9 miles on the North Downs Way in Kent, UK.

A bit sore but happy. Next target is 12 miles.
Sounds good. I "practiced" on the sputh downs and reached 15 miles per day for three days then did the same with a backpack. Duriing this time I could also get my feet use to long walks and get the big blisters out of the way. I then.felt ready to tackle the Camino frances and reached Santiago last friday having walked it all. Remember it is not a race so walk at a pace you are comfortable with. Likewise you are allowed rest days as it is important to experience Spain the country as well as the camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I train every day whether a Camino walk is in my plans or not. I've walked just under 1100 kilometers since January 1st this year. Many days a 6.6 km route or sometimes just 5...but every day. I've only missed a handful of days this year so far.
I also do core building exercises every other day along with lighter weights.
Good fitness should be a life goal whether a Camino walk is in your future or not.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.