• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Santiago back to Porto

tpatnode

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I’m trying to book flights for our Porto to Santiago pilgrimage starting September 20th. Round trip to and from Porto seem to be the best prices I’ve found. Is there a train from Santiago to Porto?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not directly. You can take a train to Vigo then change to another train for Porto. Or take a bus directly from Santiago. The direct bus is slightly quicker.

PS. Too early for the September timetables but at the moment the buses run at more convenient times than the trains (ie. not such early departure or late arrival in Porto).

Last edited:
Not directly. You can take a train to Vigo then change to another train for Porto. Or take a bus directly from Santiago. The direct bus is slightly quicker.

PS. Too early for the September timetables but at the moment the buses run at more convenient times than the trains (ie. not such early departure or late arrival in Porto).
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We took the train down to Porto. You can buy your ticket on the day at Santiago train station, then you change over at Vigo and buy your ticket to Porto as they are different train companies. There is a good waiting area / cafe for the transit time in between and Vigo is interesting enough to go for a walk if you don't have a lot of luggage. We found it an easy trip.

We took the train down to Porto. You can buy your ticket on the day at Santiago train station, then you change over at Vigo and buy your ticket to Porto as they are different train companies. There is a good waiting area / cafe for the transit time in between and Vigo is interesting enough to go for a walk if you don't have a lot of luggage. We found it an easy trip.
Hi, my wife and I plan to cycle from Lisbon to Santiago from Mid to end of May.
We then need to get back in Lisbon with our bicycles. Plane, train or bus......?
Kind regards
Rian and Maryke
South Africa

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those that have started their Camino in Porto, where did you stay? How did you travel from the airport to your hotel/hostel? I’m

For those that have started their Camino in Porto, where did you stay? How did you travel from the airport to your hotel/hostel?

I took a 20min taxi from the airport to my hotel in the city, but I believe there is a train station connecxting the Porto Sa Carneiro airport with the city.

We stayed at Moov Hotel Porto Centro, which was very comfortable but within my budget at the time. I know there are other good (and cheaper) options too. We stayed there for 3 nights before starting our camino, Porto was an awesome city worth the visit. Food was incredibly good.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Note that you change trains but also train stations in Vigo

I just booked my bus (Alsa) from SDC to Porto for end of June. I inquired about the train but this was just more convenient. Direct and I get into Porto early afternoon :)

Buy the ticket ahead of time busses get full and might delay your connection
do you know the name of the best bus company to buy tickets ahead. I am in Australia and its hard to find the right company / website when I am doing a search. Ill be catching a bus out of Santiago to begin my camino walk also.... in late July.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
do you know the name of the best bus company to buy tickets ahead. I am in Australia and its hard to find the right company / website when I am doing a search. Ill be catching a bus out of Santiago to begin my camino walk also.... in late July.
The two main bus companies on the route are ALSA and Flixbus. Flixbus works in partnership with the local company Monbus.

Either of these

What is the name of the bus company that takes you from Santiago to Porto?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The ALSA bus goes directly from the Santiago railwaystation . the bus station is at the backside of the station and at the busstation in the hall you can buy tickets but safer it is to book online because lots of people travel back to Porto or Lisbon so be sure to get a seat.
Earlier during the high season you could buy tickets at the Pilgrims office but I do not know ALSA still will have a booth there.
Also bus makes its first stop in Vigo, than Valença do Minho, Braga and Porto Airport before to end the trip at Casa da Música in Porto Center..

about changing the train in Vigo
Renfe ( Spanish Railways) takes you to one station in Vigo from Santiago. You have to walk to another station about 15 minutes away . Comboios Portuguêses , the Portuguese railway company runs the track to Porto from that second station in Vigo .
The Portuguese train goes to Valença do Minho and than follows the Minho river to Caminha and along the Atlantic coast to Viana do Castelo and from there to Barcelos and Porto Campanhã station. So if you did not walk the coastal caminho, you see part of the route from the train window.

there is a difference in width of the railwaytracks. Spanish regular railroad tracks are wider than in other (anyway) west European countries. For that reason there are two stations in Vigo .

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We then need to get back in Lisbon with our bicycles. Plane, train or bus......?
Kind regards
Rian and Maryke
South Africa
Hi Rian. Do you mind contacting me after your trip. I have walked the frances in 2018 and I am busy planning to cycle the Portuguese rout from Lisbon. I would really like to make contact with you. I am from Cape Town.

note from mods. We have deleted the private email address originally posted above. Rian and Eben (and anyone else) should use the ”conversation” (private message function) and exchange emails there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rian. Do you mind contacting me after your trip. I have walked the frances in 2018 and I am busy planning to cycle the Portuguese rout from Lisbon. I would really like to make contact with you. I am from Cape Town.
I’d delete your email address if I were you. If you click on Rian’s username you’ll see an option to ‘start conversation’ this is a private message more suitable for sharing contact details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind regards
Rian and Maryke
South Africa
Did you enjoy your cycling? I will be doing 2 camino's in June. Porto - Santiago & Pamplona - Santiago. I walked the frances in 2018 from St JpdPort, but always wanted to cycle it aswell.

Eben Jacobs
Cape Town

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! Can you tell me the names of the train companies from Santiago to Vigo and Vigo to Porto? Thanks!

Hello! Can you tell me the names of the train companies from Santiago to Vigo and Vigo to Porto? Thanks!
Sorry, but I can't recall the Portuguese train company. We didn't pre book either trains, we walked down to the Santiago station and caught the next train to Vigo, which is on the border of Spain and Portugal and walked to the Portuguese train line and bought a ticket for the next train to Porto. It was very easy and we had time to have a coffee and snack at the station cafe while we waited. Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.