• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Santiago to Madrid airport

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train.

More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance it seemed like I could only book to Madrid city, but perhaps I simply need to book the Madrid --> Airport leg separately after I book the SDC --> Madrid leg?

And which station in Madrid should I be booking? Seems there's one in the north and the south.

My goal is to take the train to Madrid and then continue on to the airport, without stopping in Madrid. My flight is in the wee hours of the morning, so I have plenty to time to get to the airport. I'm thinking of a train later in the day from SDC that would get me into Madrid in the early evening, and then out to the airport.

So two questions: can I book the entire the entire route on Trainline, and which station would I / should I be arriving at in Madrid?

Thanks for your thoughts. I know I can google it, but there's often value-add information that comes from asking on this forum. And again apologies for my ignorance. It's my first time to Madrid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, you need to go to Chamartín then to T4 from Chamartín station to train from Santiago to the Madrid Airport. If you buy a train ticket from Santiago your train ticket will include a train ticket to T4. It is called a Cercanias Combinado. There is a QR code in the corner of your ticket which gives you passage on the Cercanias train.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train.

More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance it seemed like I could only book to Madrid city, but perhaps I simply need to book the Madrid --> Airport leg separately after I book the SDC --> Madrid leg?

And which station in Madrid should I be booking? Seems there's one in the north and the south.

My goal is to take the train to Madrid and then continue on to the airport, without stopping in Madrid. My flight is in the wee hours of the morning, so I have plenty to time to get to the airport. I'm thinking of a train later in the day from SDC that would get me into Madrid in the early evening, and then out to the airport.

So two questions: can I book the entire the entire route on Trainline, and which station would I / should I be arriving at in Madrid?

Thanks for your thoughts. I know I can google it, but there's often value-add information that comes from asking on this forum. And again apologies for my ignorance. It's my first time to Madrid.
Just do it. My response might seem a bit harsh but when you get off the train in Madrid there are so many options, train, bus, taxi, that there is no one answer. If upon arrival one option makes the most sense, take it. In 2023 I was told to use the green bus to the airport so that's what I had planned. There was no green bus. They had changed the color scheme. The bus stop did have a green pillar so I eventually found it. But you can appreciate the frustration if I had been completely committed to it. A delay in arrival, a restroom stop, a wrong turn, the wrong floor, can cause havoc to a plan.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
High Speed and long distance trains from Santiago include the cost and your ticket for the your train transfer to the airport. No need to look for a cab or bus. The C1 and C10 are the train numbers and they go to the airport every few minutes during the day.

Last edited:
Just do it. My response might seem a bit harsh but when you get off the train in Madrid there are so many options, train, bus, taxi, that there is no one answer. If upon arrival one option makes the most sense, take it. In 2023 I was told to use the green bus to the airport so that's what I had planned. There was no green bus. They had changed the color scheme. The bus stop did have a green pillar so I eventually found it. But you can appreciate the frustration if I had been completely committed to it. A delay in arrival, a restroom stop, a wrong turn, the wrong floor, can cause havoc to a plan.
I don't know how much Spanish you have but even just a little goes a long way. Asking a policeman or a local merchant may have solved the issue you had. But again I have no idea of your situation,

There is a QR code in the corner of your ticket which gives you passage on the Cercanias train.

The QR code by itself does *not* grant passage on the Cercanias subway train. You need to take your long-distance ticket to a Cercanias ticket machine, scan it, and the machine will print a free Cercanias ticket. The QR code is only valid for a certain amount of time after your long-distance train. For example, if you travel to Madrid and stay over-night, the QR code will not be valid the next day for a free Cercanias ticket.

You could be fined if you ride the Cercanias without a valid Cercanias ticket.

-Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The QR code by itself does *not* grant passage on the Cercanias subway train. You need to take your long-distance ticket to a Cercanias ticket machine, scan it, and the machine will print a free Cercanias ticket. The QR code is only valid for a certain amount of time after your long-distance train. For example, if you travel to Madrid and stay over-night, the QR code will not be valid the next day for a free Cercanias ticket.

You could be fined if you ride the Cercanias without a valid Cercanias ticket.

-Paul
Actually at many stations in Madrid, there is at least one turnstile where there is a scanner and it will scan your code in and out without getting the separate ticket. I have used it this way on the last three trips to Spain. These were initially pointed out to me by the railway attendants when I went to the machine to print a separate ticket. Yes, I agree that the code is only good for 3 hours on either end of the ticket I believe. (Maybe only 2 hrs).

edit: I guess it is 4 hours per the article I shared below.

Last edited:
Translated from Renfe page

06/02/2020
General, Madrid

Cercanías Madrid implements QR code readers to speed up the validation of the 'Combinado Cercanías'​

Renfe has implemented QR code readers on the turnstiles at Cercanías Madrid stations to speed up the validation of the 'Combinado Cercanías' (included in Ave and Larga Distancia tickets). They will also allow the reading of Media Distancia titles in the short term. Starting in June, travelers will be able to validate their ticket at the turnstiles, either with the printed ticket or with the ticket on any mobile device, for greater convenience.
Cercanías Madrid has already installed code readers (QR and barcodes) in the access controls of 67 of its 95 stations. This system is already in operation in Cercanías de Málaga and will be progressively implemented in the rest of Cercanías centers.
With its implementation in Cercanías Madrid, access and exit through the station turnstiles is speeded up, without the need for the traveler to have to go through the ticket offices or self-sales machines. Directly, with their ticket, the user will be able to access only by validating the code printed on their ticket in the readers.
In all stations in the core
Progressively, these readers will be installed in all stations in the Madrid core. Until its complete implementation, at stations without a reader, tickets can only be purchased with the Contactless Card (TSC), both at ticket offices and at self-sales machines, since the issuance of magnetic tickets is definitively eliminated.
Cercanías Madrid issues around 3 million 'Combinado
Cercanías' annually. Renfe includes the 'Combined Cercanías' in its Ave and Long Distance tickets, so that the traveler can use it in all hubs, both at the origin and destination. The 'Combined' is valid for Rodalies, Feve or the Alicante TRAM network and the rest of the Cercanías hubs. It can be used from 4 hours before the train departure and up to 4 hours after arrival at the destination.
Since the implementation of the TSC in 2016, Cercanías Madrid continues to update the ticket validation systems to speed up and improve customer comfort, expanding the range of options for verifying transport tickets.

Don't throw away your ticket because you need it to get out of the Cercanías area at T4.
If you buy a ticket in Santiago to travel to Madrid and have to stay over night before heading to the airport, can you use the ticket to transfer from Charmartin to Atocha one evening and then from Atocha to the airport the following morning? Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, @janis2cats, it is only good once after you get off the train for 4 hours. After that you need to buy a new ticket.

3 ways to get to the airport from Atocha. Cercanías trains 1 and 10 go to the airport. They run regularly, but not overnight. The airport express bus which leaves from outside the Atocha station and runs 24 hours per day (5 euros). Taxi which is a flat rate. Last year an airport taxi was 30 euros.

No, @janis2cats, it is only good once after you get off the train for 4 hours. After that you need to buy a new ticket.

3 ways to get to the airport from Atocha. Cercanías trains 1 and 10 go to the airport. They run regularly, but not overnight. The airport express bus which leaves from outside the Atocha station and runs 24 hours per day (5 euros). Taxi which is a flat rate. Last year an airport taxi was 30 euros.
Thank you!

Lots of very helpful advice in this thread. Many thanks @J Willhaus for being so thorough in your response. Glad I asked on this forum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back