• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training regiment suggestions?

cotton0226

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2016
I will be meeting my daughter for the last 10 days of her journey. I am 56. I walk daily but would not be considered fit.

Any suggestions on training plans?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm 55 and work-out and run all the time, and have drastically changed my diet to a more healthy one, yet at times even with all that feel like I'm bailing water from a sinking boat when my knees act up on me, ha ha.
If you are overweight now, drastically change your diet. Do a lot of stretching and leg strengthening exercises and maybe some core stuff like pushups and planks. Put on your backpack and take some long walks with it.
One thing for sure, carry as light a pack as possible on your Camino and choose your footwear wisely. All the fitness in the world does no good if your feet are so sore and blistered it's painful to just put your shoes on.
cheers and ultreia

Can you describe your geography where you live, as elevation & mountains will help a great deal. If you have neither it will just take distance.
I live in the same type of environment as the Pyrenees. Primarily start out slow walking 5-10k or 3-5 miles until your comfortable with it move up until you reach 12miles or 22k. Add the pack you will carry on the Camino increasing until you are at what you will carry in Spain. This will also help you to work out shoe/sock/pack/rain gear issues.
That said if you overtrain hard just before you leave your body has weeks of everyday walking so let the Camino be your primary trainer. Just walk to get ready & wear your pack until you are comfortable.
In Spain it seems everyone walks, so don't get discouraged when it seems they pass you as if your standing still:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm 54 and did my first Camino last year. Back then I was in average shape. I started walking 6 months prior to the Camino. Just 3 miles a day at first but build it up slowly to 10 miles (now and then) . I did wear my pack every walk the last 10 weeks before Spain. And lastly I did some light back/leg/shoulder workouts the last few weeks too. I ended up doing great during that Camino.
This year I kind of feel fitter there after the Camino I just kept walking. I now feel I could leave any given day of the year and be fine :) I'm still no super athlete ha ha but in pretty good shape. This is a great after effect the Camino had for me. Also like Mark Lee said, watch your diet a bit. I have a hard time drinking plenty water but during the Camino I made sure I sipped water all day long (and wine at night ;) ) and I ate every day a Banana !!! When you say "you are not fit" I would suggest to take it slow the first week. Let your body get used to it. And break in your shoes as much as you can and wear your pack as much as you can. PS I walked with my son....it is a GREAT treat to be able to share this with your child.... ENJOY !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All of us should just keep moving. Even now at 77 each time I garden on our hillside, carry a load of groceries, stoop to make a bed, etc. I like to dream that such effort will make it easier next time to climb up the Ibaneta pass or trudge through the O Cebreiro snow.

At any age what matters most is to continue to move. Remember that old adage "use it or lose it!"

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have approximately 3 months to get ready so I am positive.

My current structure includes 1 hour vigorous walk at noon every day, then a lighter 20 minute or half hour less vigorous walk in the evening. I cover about 10 km a day.

Weekends I am going to start at 2 hours and try to increase to 3 over time. I think this will be good target for the next little while

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all the great feedback. I have approximately 3 months to get ready so I am positive.

My current structure includes 1 hour vigorous walk at noon every day, then a lighter 20 minute or half hour less vigorous walk in the evening. I cover about 10 km a day.

Weekends I am going to start at 2 hours and try to increase to 3 over time. I think this will be good target for the next little while

Make sure you include some hills and loose gravel in your training program and you'll be fine. I trained on the flat and thought I was doing fine. I hit the woods for the hills and gravel and suddenly I got every trouble known. Dropped arches, ligaments, muscle strains, the lot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You are on the right "path." I will be 70 on my next Camino and it will be my sixth one, I practice by walking without my pack for at least an hour everyday of the year, several weeks before the start of my Camino I double that distance. For cardio I do spin classes everyday.
But remember this, one of the most important ways to prepare for the Camino is to learn how to drink a couple of beers at the end of your walk every day and a carafe of vino tinto with your dinner;)!

Just keep walking one day until you are tired, and then some. Expect your daughter to find her stride and walk further. Best thing to do is not carry too much stuff. Just basic stuff of change of clothes, your journey is just ten days. Practice and practice, if you have never done the Camino or long days walking, just walk until you are tired. That is what you will be doing on the Camino. Enjoy your time with the children and breath in good air. Been Camino. Cheers Tom

You are on the right "path." I will be 70 on my next Camino and it will be my sixth one, I practice by walking without my pack for at least an hour everyday of the year, several weeks before the start of my Camino I double that distance. For cardio I do spin classes everyday.
But remember this, one of the most important ways to prepare for the Camino is to learn how to drink a couple of beers at the end of your walk every day and a carafe of vino tinto with your dinner;)!
Yes, 12 oz curls are recommended as well as proficiency with a corkscrew. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Obviously, some training is necessary. In my case, for about four months before the Camino, I walk about 8 miles every second day or so and a 14 miles loop once a week. Average pace is 15 mins a mile which is my comfortable walking speed. I don't wear my backpack because, frankly, I think I would look very odd wearing one in the local roads where I walk. It hasn't been a problem when wearing it on the Camino - if anything, I find it easier to walk with it. The main benefit is conditioning one's feet and I think it helps to minimise the chances of getting blisters, the bane of the pilgrim. However, it is important not to overdo it. As someone once said to me: "don't do the Camino before you do the Camino". You will get fitter every day on the trail.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In my case, for about four months before the Camino, I walk about 8 miles every second day or so and a 14 miles loop once a week. Average pace is 15 mins a mile which is my comfortable walking speed. I don't wear my backpack because, frankly, I think I would look very odd wearing one in the local roads where I walk.
Wow that is a lot of training miles ! Good for you. I had some concerns last year too walking with my backpack in the neighborhood. But thankfully by now most neighbors know about me and about my Camino's, so they don't think I'm a homeless person anymore ha ha :)

My easiest day on The Camino was more difficult than my most grueling training day. And, I trained for over a year. I witnessed several walkers weeping. One was definitely from the exertion and on the last day, but the others may have been for other reasons. I shed a few tears myself when I was completely spent on several occasions. So, you can never fully prepare for this. The first week will be grueling, no matter what, if you plan to walk 8 hrs per day. On the other hand, I never felt so alive and positive in my life. I never saw people so happy to be alive as I did on The Camino. Don't push yourself into the land of injury. No penalties if you walk half a day instead of all day. No penalties if you walk at a slower pace. No penalties for doing the best you can. Drink more water than you think you need to and your joints will behave better. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My training has been derailed. I was up to 10kms a day, 15kms on weekends. Last Saturday I broke my foot. The future is unknown for now.

UGH I feel so sorry for you :( Mine didn't break but my husbands leg broke 10 days ago. (He is and never was doing my June Camino with me ) So between work and taking care of him I didn't walk at all the last 10 days. However.....I hope to start this weekend again. That being said, it doesn't change anything for my Camino.
When were you planning on going ? In the meanwhile, speedy recovery !

I hope your Camino works out. My daughter starts mid-June. It's really her journey. I am to meet her around July 12th for the last 10 days or so. I still intend on joining her but I may be taking buses and meeting her each evening.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope your Camino works out. My daughter starts mid-June. It's really her journey. I am to meet her around July 12th for the last 10 days or so. I still intend on joining her but I may be taking buses and meeting her each evening.
oops I obviously meant a :( instead of a :). I changed it. Who knows July 12th is still 7 or 8 weeks away. Maybe by that time you can walk a few km everyday, just to get the feel off all. Last year my friend joined me for the last week but didn't want to walk.....however he just walked towards me at the end of each day for 2 km or so. then turned around and walked the last 2 km with me.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back