• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

“Buffer” travel days to and from Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Greetings from a newbie! I have been an avid forum “lurker” for several months gathering ideas and information but have now finalized my flight into and out of Madrid from the US. Expected start date is May 1 from Ponferrada (yes- I know that its a national holiday). Hoping that I will be well prepared for contingencies but appreciate any advice you can offer!

Getting to my actual question- as a first time international solo traveler I have built in an extra day before my planned start date and on the to back end to avoid the stress of missed train/bus connections. I also feel like I want to take a moment to ground myself in the experience - and maybe take in some of the local culture in the big city of Madrid.

Are there hotels, restaurants, museums, etc… that you recommend? I’d like to make the most of the short time there. Would it be wise in the beginning to perhaps take an extra day in Ponferrada to explore and then focus on Madrid on the return trip?

In full disclosure, while I am working on my Spanish, languages are not one of my strengths no matter how much I try. I will only have rudimentary pleasantries/essentials and google translate to help.

So looking forward to your collective wisdom and feedback-

Many thanks in advance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings from a newbie! I have been an avid forum “lurker” for several months gathering ideas and information but have now finalized my flight into and out of Madrid from the US. Expected start date is May 1 from Ponferrada (yes- I know that its a national holiday). Hoping that I will be well prepared for contingencies but appreciate any advice you can offer!

Getting to my actual question- as a first time international solo traveler I have built in an extra day before my planned start date and on the to back end to avoid the stress of missed train/bus connections. I also feel like I want to take a moment to ground myself in the experience - and maybe take in some of the local culture in the big city of Madrid.

Are there hotels, restaurants, museums, etc… that you recommend? I’d like to make the most of the short time there. Would it be wise in the beginning to perhaps take an extra day in Ponferrada to explore and then focus on Madrid on the return trip?

In full disclosure, while I am working on my Spanish, languages are not one of my strengths no matter how much I try. I will only have rudimentary pleasantries/essentials and google translate to help.

So looking forward to your collective wisdom and feedback-

Many thanks in advance!

James Blick, a fellow Kiwi has heaps of good advice and lots of similar videos on YouTube.

I love Madrid and take every opportunity to spend time there. There are other Spanish cities like Valencia and Valladolid that I like slightly more but I would never pass up an opportunity to spend time in Madrid.

I created a Google Maps list at one stage that I link to below but it is incomplete and I am conflicted about if I really want to share my best places with hoards of other people.

For me, part of the fun is finding my own special places and I can assure you that there are lots and lots of special places in Madrid.

Would it be wise in the beginning to perhaps take an extra day in Ponferrada to explore and then focus on Madrid on the return trip?
You know best what's best for you, but here is my thinking:

I would go to Ponferrada direct from the airport, arrive hopefully in the afternoon, walk around letting the camino feeling sink in, admire the 12th century Knights Templar castle, and walk out on your Camino the next morning.

I would save Madrid for your return; It is a great city!

Part of why I say this, is that this way, you can travel on directly from the Madrid airport to Ponferrada. Check your options here:

As of today, there are not many departures/day, but that will change closer to your arrival.

Just my 0.02 €

Edit: If you arrive in Madrid at a time where there are no available connections to Ponferrada, then absolutely sleep off some jetlag in Madrid before continuing.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
James Blick, a fellow Kiwi has heaps of good advice and lots of similar videos on YouTube.
@DoughnutANZ and I often think alike (maybe it's the doughnuts). I was thinking of another video by Blick before even getting to @DoughnutANZ's post. That video was on several Madrid neighborhoods, their vibes, sights, hotels and restaurants. The video is clickable at the following post which better describes it.

Also notice the title of the thread; you may find the whole thread useful.

‘Make the most’ is a sure way of scratching the surface.

Spain operates at a slower pace. In Madrid perhaps pick a gallery - maybe just go to the Reina Sofia and see Picasso’s Guernica - then sit yourself down on the Plaza Major (you’ll pay a premium, but what the hell), have a decent lunch and soak up the atmosphere.

What is your plan to get to Ponferrada? I usually spend a day sleeping off some of my jet lag in Madrid before traveling on. In Madrid, I would choose a place that makes it easy to get to your ongoing transportation to Ponferrada. I have been to Madrid many times so I like to stay out by the airport in one of the two Marriott properties on points. I ask for an early check-in and sleep. Then I take the airport shuttle back to the airport and take the Cercanias Train from T4 to my train station for my connection. If I am going by bus, I can do the same as there is a bus station at T4 or if my bus is leaving from Avenida de Americas station, I can take a bus from outside the front of my hotel directly there.

If I am going to go into town and stay, I like a quiet place again where I can sleep off the jet lag and where I can easily get to the train or bus station. Conveniently there are several Marriott properties that meet this criteria near Atocha Station and one near the Avenida de Americas station (again where I can stay on points for free). Or if you don't need to sleep, usually the places near the Atocha train station have plenty to see and do nearby. It is also easy to get to the Chamartin Station from there or back to the airport at the end of the journey. I have also stayed at Oxygen which is a pod hotel a couple of blocks form Atocha Station (quiet, clean, near a laundromat and grocery store, near restaurants and other shops) They have security and a 24 hour check in desk. I loved it, but my husband hated it since you sleep in a little secure pod with a sliding door and he felt he did not have "enough room". You are near both the Prado and the Reina Sophia art museums which are marvelous. I like Nubel restaurant near the Reina Sofia museum. Very cool place to eat or hang out with a glass of wine or a coffee.
Ponferrada is also cool and has a nice Basilica and a castle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m on the same itinerary, arrive Madrid late afternoon via Paris on the way to Ponferrada. I like to have 1 buffer day at the beginning and save my remaining buffer days for the trail or bank them for the end. So I’m considering 1 night in Madrid because of an early evening arrival, train next day thru Leon and on to Ponferrada planning for a buffer day there or maybe in Leon.

And like others I choose accommodation near Madrid’s train station and just hit any pleasant spot for dinner and a few glasses to celebrate the oncoming adventure.

Buen Camino.

I’m on the same itinerary, arrive Madrid late afternoon via Paris on the way to Ponferrada. I like to have 1 buffer day at the beginning and save my remaining buffer days for the trail or bank them for the end. So I’m considering 1 night in Madrid because of an early evening arrival, train next day thru Leon and on to Ponferrada planning for a buffer day there or maybe in Leon.

And like others I choose accommodation near Madrid’s train station and just hit any pleasant spot for dinner and a few glasses to celebrate the oncoming adventure.

Buen Camino.
Good decision.

good decisions come from experience; experience comes from bad decisions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What ever you do its always fun to stop at Chocolateria San Gines in Madrid for churros and hot chocolate

Well, I was of that opinion but guided by Ivar himself I ventured further as follows: (pasted from a long-ago thread)

Having a free morning in Madrid I thought I’d put it to some practical use for the benefit of all. I’ve long been a fan of Chocolatería San Gines; where I’ve considered the chocolate y churros to be excellent. I recall a tip on here some time ago (early covid when the conversation turned to more secular matters than Camino) where our host Ivar opined that El Riojano (referenced yesterday) on C.Mayor was superior.

Not doubting Ivar’s recommendation, but suspecting that his tastebuds may well be impaired by a lifetime of eating Norwegian pickled herring, I thought that you, dear reader, might appreciate a head-to-head taste test.

Purely for research purposes I’ve just visited both establishments in rapid succession and confirm Ivar’s choice. El Riojano is marginally better for chocolate, but San Gines doesn’t disappoint. Tragically, El Riojano doesn’t do churros.

Not doubting Ivar’s recommendation, but suspecting that his tastebuds may well be impaired by a lifetime of eating Norwegian pickled herring, I thought that you, dear reader, might appreciate a head-to-head taste test.
As a fellow Norwegian of Ivar, I can assure you that pickled herring enhances Norwegian tastebuds to a divine level, appreciating anything but pickled herring.

Welcome Jward!
Speaking for myself, I prefer to begin my camino as soon as it is reasonable after arriving in Spain and use any "extra" days at the end. Just my preference. If I "get on with it" it seems like jet lag is less of a problem. And I'm so excited to begin!

Depending upon your flight arrival/departure times and the train/bus schedule, I'd choose to spend any extra time in either Madrid or SDC. Ponferrada has a Basilica and the Knights Templar castle but I like Madrid/SDC much more. Madrid is a beautiful city! And spending time in SDC with friends made on the camino is a wonderful experience.

You are wise to plan buffer days.

Check back in and let us know how you are doing!

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Madrid is a wonderful city and has plenty to offer. I like the stand up breakfast at La Mallorqina on Puerta del Sol and lunch at Mercado de San Miguel. If you are interested in churches take a stroll down to the Almudena Cathedral. So much to see and do, if you have time! Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

I agree with Alexwalker.

In April I plan to walk the Invierno from Ponferrada, so I’m going directly there from Madrid as soon as possible. I try to schedule my arrival in Spain for as early in the morning as I can, to give me time to get to my starting point. I’ll power through the jet lag then sleep really well at the hostal in Ponferrada. I have a full day to explore Ponferrada before starting my Camino after a second night’s rest.

I hope you are planning to spend at least 2 or 3 nights in Santiago to celebrate with your Camino friends and explore the city.

Buen Camino

I answered this question on another simiar thread sometime last year. As far as staying in Madrid, me and my wife stayed at Hotel Madrid II Castillas. it is NOT 'an albergue' type and somewhat up in the cost (comparing to even a private room in albergue) but it was very nice, clean, comfy, awesome location and included a very generous spread breakfast. It also had an ajasent restaurant although as we all know there is no shortages of places to eat in Spain, almost no matter where one is

We walked the streets, and all the little plazas, squares, parks etc on the ways; visited Plaza Mayor, The Cathedral, Palace del Rei, Prado Museum (regretfully didnt have enough time for Reigna Sofia... but I guess Diego & Fransisco trumped Pablo) and San Jerónimo el Real church

The "EH" I had was that, Monday-night QB'ing, I am now convinced that we probably should've either stay in Finisterre or perhaps return to SdC instead of coming to MAD at the tail end of it. (Of course when planning coupled with the fact that we were flying from MAD - how can we NOT spend some days there, right?!). Well.. it was very hot (beginnning of July), seemed to us too crowded and ...just didnt exactly do for us what we thought it would.

That was us - it very well may work for you and perhaps MAD in May will be more kind to you than MAD in July for me

The public transportation is great in MAD - you can metro practically anywhere. There is a bus that goes to the Airport which leaves from Atocha IIRC (or at least near by) and its more convenient that thking metro... taixs are a plenty at about 30E from downtown to airport.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Madrid is an awesome destination for a city trip.
What I found out is that I‘m absolutely not in a mood for city trips directly after the Camino. I couldn’t concentrate and enjoy it the way I do otherwise, because my mind is in a kind of different state.
Maybe have a day in a spa to relax!!

Well, I was of that opinion but guided by Ivar himself I ventured further as follows: (pasted from a long-ago thread)

Having a free morning in Madrid I thought I’d put it to some practical use for the benefit of all. I’ve long been a fan of Chocolatería San Gines; where I’ve considered the chocolate y churros to be excellent. I recall a tip on here some time ago (early covid when the conversation turned to more secular matters than Camino) where our host Ivar opined that El Riojano (referenced yesterday) on C.Mayor was superior.

Purely for research purposes I’ve just visited both establishments in rapid succession and confirm Ivar’s choice. El Riojano is marginally better for chocolate, but San Gines doesn’t disappoint. Tragically, El Riojano doesn’t do churros.

Chocolataria 1902 (off Calle Arenal) makes churros and porras as well as flores (plain, chocolate and honey). Another small business that makes churros and porras is Chocolate Madrid on C. Sta. Maria. We always plan a night or two in Madrid to sleep off jet lag- since we arrive at 6AM we have a room from the night before so we can check in immediately and sleep until lunchtime. Please excuse the bold "hollering" as I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

Chocolataria 1902 (off Calle Arenal) makes churros and porras as well as flores (plain, chocolate and honey). Another small business that makes churros and porras is Chocolate Madrid on C. Sta. Maria. We always plan a night or two in Madrid to sleep off jet lag- since we arrive at 6AM we have a room from the night before so we can check in immediately and sleep until lunchtime. Please excuse the bold "hollering" as I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

Highlight the text, click the arrow on the right of the pop-up and select ‘format’.

How you’ve got stuck on bold by default, I don’t know.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Highlight the text, click the arrow on the right of the pop-up and select ‘format’.

How you’ve got stuck on bold by default, I don’t know.

Thanks for the recommendations.
If I could find the arrow or the pop-up I would, but the 'format' is even more illusive- however, as I type this it appears that everything self corrected. Thank you!! I prefer Chocolataria 1902 for more choices, but there can be confusion when entering. We have visited and have had to order and pay at the register as we enter, and have also been shown to a table, ordered and given a cuenta. I think perhaps that it has to do with volume of people. Either way- I do like the flores. (Particularly those dipped in chocolate)!!

Big fan of buffer days, good on you! I live in the same timezone as Madrid, yet I’m still taking several days before and after the actual Camino just to settle myself in and ease myself out. And because it’s Spain.

After you have filled yourself with chocolate you might like just a taste of Fine Art.

For the last two hours of each day the entry to the Prado is free.

And that’s just enough time to spend with Velasquez’s Las Meninas. Followed by a lengthy stretch in front of the extraordinary The Garden of Earthly Delights by Heironymus Bosch. If you have time then also go to Reina Sophia to see Picasso’s Guernica.

Of course there’s a billion other options so enjoy yourself! Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back