• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Vaccination

meriPNG

Loving Life! :-)
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances through to Finisterre (May-June 2014)
Hola Peregrinos and Peregrinas,

With only 6 weeks to go, I'm trying to make sure I'm all set before heading off for a great adventure.

I've purchased a 3 month travel insurance package with Allianz but was wondering if any of you have bothered getting any travel vaccinations before heading to Europe or to walk your Camino?

I know Spain is a developed country but considering walking the Camino and staying in possibly crowded Albergues or hostels... did you ever feel the need to take precautionary travel vaccinations? And if so, what did you get vaccinated against?

I'm of the opinion that I may not necessarily need travel vaccination but maybe past, present or future Camino walkers may have some invaluable advice for me.

I haven't traveled much nor for long periods so this will be my first long trip away, I'd like to learn a bit more before I decide if it's worth seeing a doctor about having travel vaccination for travel in Europe or whilst on the Camino.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Buen Camino!
Marie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just make sure you are current on your tetanus shot and you are good. BTW, the Pharmacies along the Camino are a great resource for staying healthy. Most have someone who speaks English working in the afternoons. And even if no one there speaks English, the old gesture system can get the job done.

Probably just tetanus is all you need unless you had a tetanus booster shot within the last ten years.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks RobertS26 and jirit for that - can't recall if I've had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years but will look into it.
Cheers,
Marie

I've just had my fluvax .I have seen many pilgrims suffering flu-like symptoms.
I always get the vax anyway.
Heather

Thanks Heather, that makes sense though I've never had the flu shot here... ooohhh looking forward to meeting you in Perth at the WA meetings! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Peregrinos and Peregrinas,

With only 6 weeks to go, I'm trying to make sure I'm all set before heading off for a great adventure.

I've purchased a 3 month travel insurance package with Allianz but was wondering if any of you have bothered getting any travel vaccinations before heading to Europe or to walk your Camino?

I know Spain is a developed country but considering walking the Camino and staying in possibly crowded Albergues or hostels... did you ever feel the need to take precautionary travel vaccinations? And if so, what did you get vaccinated against?

I'm of the opinion that I may not necessarily need travel vaccination but maybe past, present or future Camino walkers may have some invaluable advice for me.

I haven't traveled much nor for long periods so this will be my first long trip away, I'd like to learn a bit more before I decide if it's worth seeing a doctor about having travel vaccination for travel in Europe or whilst on the Camino.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Buen Camino!
Marie

It is europe, western europe. Your not going into deep dark africa. The camino isn't some treck into the wild. You'll just be walking around in civilisation. You don't need any shots. Its just like australia here, but without the big kitty litter in the middle:D
I think your doctor would tell you the exact same thing. If you dont need it there, you dont need it here.

Yes, I am due for my tetanus booster so that is on my list. I also have had my flu shot. Coughing and spluttering a bit at the moment though - had my dental checkup and the dentist was sick. :(

I'll be on the plane in 4 weeks time. Yikes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its just like australia here, but without the big kitty litter in the middle:D

Hey Hey be careful now... that's me backyard you're on about :p lol
Hahaha but I gotta laugh at myself, you're right it's Western Europe!

Cheers jacaranda_daze and biarritzdon :)
Hope you're coughing and sputtering eases up before you head off.
Buen Camino!

I once had a terrible tooth ache in Germany. Visiting the dentist was scary. I had someone with me who spoke Germann but those aren't common words. I think lots was lost in translation. At home my dentist said the airplane ride could have triggered my problem and I ended up with a root canal. Bad memories there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My doctor here in Canada is a walker and walks often in Europe. He advised me to get the shot for Hepatitis A and B. I did and it is good for life.

Meri, I agree - tetanus and flu shot. But if time I'd also check my polio, measles, whooping cough, etc status - many of us need to update our childhood immunisations regardless of travel. May as well take this opportunity to help with herd immunity.

Travel to Europe and get a Hep A and B shot? My god, what kind of place does the world think Europe is??

I am astonished by the measures you guys think you have to take before crossing oceans to get here. Is europa that scary?

Usa, Aussie, Canada ect......come on guys, if you don't need it at home, you sure don't need it here. Let that be the rule.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wineshopguy, I think the vacc for Hep A and B has to be repeated 6 months after the initial shot? Someone on here will have medical knowledge of this, but I'm sure this is what they told me. Jackie

I am two weeks away and had an updated tetanus and flu shot together. If you have the time take a couple of weeks between them. I am usually health and I work with the public. But 20 + hours on a plane pushes even the best immune system. 3 sleeps before I leave for Spain. I'm so excited I'm dancing around the room

Travel to Europe and get a Hep A and B shot? My god, what kind of place does the world think Europe is??

I am astonished by the measures you guys think you have to take before crossing oceans to get here. Is europa that scary?

Usa, Aussie, Canada ect......come on guys, if you don't need it at home, you sure don't need it here. Let that be the rule.

Hi Dutch,
Couldn't agree more with you in fact didn't the Pilgrim Fathers, the Shiploads of Convicts and Spencer Tracy ( Northwest Passage ) all have injections before they departed Europe. I'm sure they did.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think common sense and current outbreak information is all you neeed. And your countries will tell you what is needed for each country you travel to. That's what we reference when travelling. Here's Canada's website for checking all kinds of things like visas, safety and security, and health and vaccination issues:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/spain

Wineshopguy, I think the vacc for Hep A and B has to be repeated 6 months after the initial shot? Someone on here will have medical knowledge of this, but I'm sure this is what they told me. Jackie

My wife and I were one of the first Canadians to get Harvix for Hep A - 20 years ago - because we travelling outside of Canada and Canada had not yet approved the vaccination while countries like Germany and Australia. At the time the shot we received only covered Hep A ( we had separate shots for Hep B which we had to pay for).

Today there is one vaccination covers both hep A and B and generally considered good for 15-25 years. Normally it requires a series of booster shots - the last one 6 months later and then you are good to go. We had a double booster in Germany and then the 3rd and final shot six months later in Australia. I recently retested and I am still covered by the original vaccination.

It is generally unnecessary to get Harvix for Hep A for Western Europe, unless you plan to stay in unsanitary places or travel to parts of former Eastern Europe, or if you are over the age of 50, or your future travel plans will take to your places like South America or Asia.

Sadly my experience with Canadian medical authorities is that they lean towards over kill and conservatism, meaning they are quick to suggestion vaccinations for places whereby it is really unnecessary.

(I am an experienced world traveler that has been to Europe more than two dozen times over the 20 years along with a host of others places, so I speak with some degree of experience)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@jirit - I agree, and I certainly defer to your experience. I daresay your experience has taught you a lot about how to keep safe and healthy no matter where you travel, which is just as useful as getting the proper immunizations. We also got Twinrix when we were travelling outside Canada ( to Mexico and SA), as you did. I still check the advisories as well as drwisetravel before I go anywhere.
I also agree with @Magwood to ensure that "routine" immunization and boosters are up to date for anywhere, including Canada. There is a serious global outbreak of measles right now, for example, and for adults to get that disease, or whooping cough, mumps, or any of the others would be serious, if not fatal. We used to think our immunizations and boosters that we got as children gave us life-long immunity but that has been proven false.
My daughter got cholera when travelling to Panama 10 years ago and still suffers the effects. She did not get the vaccine before leaving. So I advise caution but not overkill or panic.
One more note - in Canada at least, "routine" immunizations are covered by our provincial health plans, but "travel" vaccines are not.

To demonstrate how much has changed in 20 years:

When we decided to travel around the world 20 years ago, Harvix in Canada was not available, but was finally approved weeks after we returned home (approx 11 months after we had left). Our trip would take us not only to Europe but to SE Asia and specifically Nepal. It was highly recommended that we get vaccinations for Hep A for Nepal- no disagreement here.

So with respect to Hep A we planned to get the old standard routine "live vaccination" of injection of immune globulin in Germany, that was only good for a few months just prior to going to Nepal (Germany our last place before Nepal). We instead were able to get Harvix since it had been approved there already and we got double booster shots that would kick in within two weeks. The 3rd booster shot was done in Australia.

Before leaving Canada however, we were able to get vaccinations for Hep B even though most doctors were not recommending it. At the time most medical doctors suggested that vaccinations for Hep B were unnecessary unless you plan to partake in unsafe activities (like sex with other people- you get the picture). Or you worked in the medical profession and we at risk at being exposed to human fluids.

Originally we had no such plans but we decided given the places were going to and the time frame, we decided to get vaccinations for Hep B anyway. Furthermore we were able to get our our private medical plan to cover the cost only because my wife was in the medical profession. As lynnejohn correctly pointed out, travel vaccinations are not covered by government medical insurance.

The cost of the vaccination back then for Hep B was $300 for both of us!

Today the global travel medical profession is "recommending" Twinrixit (for both Hep A and B)!
I am sure you have seen the ads on TV for it and other similar products. There is a big push to get everybody covered even children. I am sure plenty of travellers are getting the vaccination given the ads and recommendations.

It is considerably cheaper than before but you still need to pay for the vaccination at least here in Canada.

Last edited:

I've heard rumors that you Europeans have indoor plumbing now. Is this true? I have also heard that you have stores, restaurants, and paved roads. Is this possible?

€60,-
I'm just waiting for the potholes to get repaired after our awful winter.

Yes and we have exported them to the colonies

We give you Kim Kardashian, McDonald's fast food, and football where you can pick up the ball and run with it and this is the thanks we get? This is going down on your permanent record with the NSA.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Checked with my family doctor a month ago. He said the only booster I needed was a tetanus shot, as it was more than 10 years since I've had one. There is not any Hep. in Spain or France. Hope this helps.

I had the flu vaccination this winter and had the Hep A/B and tetanus shots. This is not to suggest that Spain is a unhealthy place, it is just good common sense for travellers. This is a trip of a lifetime for me and I want to minimize any health risks. I would advise anyone visiting Canada to take similar precautions.

There is not any Hep. in Spain or France. Hope this helps.

Soumie, I have to contradict you, or certainly your family doctor. There is lots of Hep A, B and C infection in the European population and I can find no trace of a suggestion that France & Spain are any different to the rest of us. There is likely to be lots of it in Nova Scotia too, unless you guys are very different to us. However the risks of infection are linked to behaviours, not geography, good personal hygiene, discretion in where you eat, sexual and recreational continence all limit the risk of infection. Vaccination is the prophylactic for those visiting high risk areas such as those cited above.

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis A, caused by the hepatitis A virus, is the most common type of viral hepatitis. It occurs in [Europe], but is more common in countries where sanitation and sewage disposal are poor.
Hepatitis A is usually caught by putting something in your mouth that has been contaminated with the faeces of someone with hepatitis A.

Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B is caused by the hepatitis B virus. This can be found in blood and body fluids, such as semen and vaginal fluids, so it can be spread during unprotected sex or by sharing needles to inject drugs.
Hepatitis B is uncommon in [Europe] and cases are largely confined to certain groups, such as drug users. It is much more common in other parts of the world, such as China, central and Southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. A vaccination is available for hepatitis B, which is recommended for people in high-risk groups, such as injecting drug user

Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C is the most common type of viral hepatitis in [Europe]. It is estimated that around 255,000 people in England have the condition. Hepatitis C is caused by the hepatitis C virus. This can be found in the blood and, to a much lesser extent, the saliva and semen or vaginal fluid of an infected person. It is particularly concentrated in the blood, so it is usually transmitted through blood-to-blood contact.

There is a vaccination available for Hep A, your most likely exposure in Europe being swimming in rivers, lakes and the sea near sewage outfalls. Oh, and eating shell-fish harvested where it should not have been.

Buen (puncture free) Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks you all - much appreciate all the input!
Cheers,
Marie

Soumie, I have to contradict you, or certainly your family doctor. There is lots of Hep A, B and C infection in the European population and I can find no trace of a suggestion that France & Spain are any different to the rest of us. There is likely to be lots of it in Nova Scotia too, unless you guys are very different to us. However the risks of infection are linked to behaviours, not geography, good personal hygiene, discretion in where you eat, sexual and recreational continence all limit the risk of infection. Vaccination is the prophylactic for those visiting high risk areas such as those cited above.

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis A, caused by the hepatitis A virus, is the most common type of viral hepatitis. It occurs in [Europe], but is more common in countries where sanitation and sewage disposal are poor.
Hepatitis A is usually caught by putting something in your mouth that has been contaminated with the faeces of someone with hepatitis A.

Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B is caused by the hepatitis B virus. This can be found in blood and body fluids, such as semen and vaginal fluids, so it can be spread during unprotected sex or by sharing needles to inject drugs.
Hepatitis B is uncommon in [Europe] and cases are largely confined to certain groups, such as drug users. It is much more common in other parts of the world, such as China, central and Southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. A vaccination is available for hepatitis B, which is recommended for people in high-risk groups, such as injecting drug user

Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C is the most common type of viral hepatitis in [Europe]. It is estimated that around 255,000 people in England have the condition. Hepatitis C is caused by the hepatitis C virus. This can be found in the blood and, to a much lesser extent, the saliva and semen or vaginal fluid of an infected person. It is particularly concentrated in the blood, so it is usually transmitted through blood-to-blood contact.

There is a vaccination available for Hep A, your most likely exposure in Europe being swimming in rivers, lakes and the sea near sewage outfalls. Oh, and eating shell-fish harvested where it should not have been.

Buen (puncture free) Camino

Tincatinker

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected, I will keep this in mind as I walk the Camino.

Soumie

Dutch - even in Australia there are carriers for Hep A & B and you will be surprised at how many of us have had our shots.
Hep A & B are no respectors of country or population - Hep A is common across both the developed and developing world - its a matter of basic hygiene - so wash hands after toilet/before eating; Hep B - requires blood or body to body, transfer - who you going to sleep with? Prevention is far better than cure so be prepared!! As for me - 5 trips to Africa means I have had the full round of shots.:cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've traveled some in my time on the planet. Some to Europe, Asia, Latin America, North Africa and never had a serious health concern (thank God). But I'm 52 years old now so I recently received a Tetanus shot because I could not remember when I last had one. If I was going to travel outside of Western Europe to less developed countries I would try to be appraised of current health conditions. If it's not recommended, I'm not sure I'd get vaccines I didn't need. I'm not sure it's useful. Spain is Europe but who knows what other pilgrims maybe carrying. Early pilgrim's often went to Santiago BECAUSE they were sick...

The Hep A and B inoculations are 3 separate injections, a few months apart and are effective for life according to my doctor. They are recommended for Canadians traveling to the Caribbean, Central America and Mediterranean countries.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure I'd say.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My doctor here in Canada is a walker and walks often in Europe. He advised me to get the shot for Hepatitis A and B. I did and it is good for life.
I also got the Hepatitis A and B inoculation. It was three shots given over six months. No big deal. Hepatitis B is contracted through having unprotected sex with an infected partner; sharing needles, syringes, or other drug paraphernalia; using something that may contain an infected person's blood, such as a razor or toothbrush; coming in direct contact with the blood of someone who has the disease; being exposed to blood from needle sticks or other sharp instruments. While I doubt I will ever be engaged in any of the described activities, it is better to be safe than sorry. BTW, the above would include any tattooing. Stay healthy.

Like others have said, Tetanus is really all what you need. Regarding flu shots, as far as I know there are different 'strains' of flu 'available, so I wouldn't be too sure that an 'over-sea' jab protects you against the European strains, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Vaccination

Buen (infection-free) Camino! SY

Dutch - even in Australia there are carriers for Hep A & B and you will be surprised at how many of us have had our shots.
Hep A & B are no respectors of country or population - Hep A is common across both the developed and developing world - its a matter of basic hygiene - so wash hands after toilet/before eating; Hep B - requires blood or body to body, transfer - who you going to sleep with? Prevention is far better than cure so be prepared!! As for me - 5 trips to Africa means I have had the full round of shots.:cool:

Hence the sentence: if you don't need it at home, you sure don't need it here. All you need in europe is common sense, just like at home.

I have never ever EVER heard of anybody getting any type of vacine JUST because they are travelling to europe. It is absolutely ridiculous that people and apparatenly even doctors are giving out this advice.
If you are getting even a simple tetanus shot because your going to europe, you are mis-informed. If you are worried about the need of a tetanus shot, then you should have gotten the tetanus shot already, just for living in your own country. You need or dont need it their just as much as you would here.

So again, this here is western europe, not the jungles of Borneo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tetanus inoculation is a common practice for anyone who is traveling anywhere.
Hikers, campers, boaters, and just plain travelers are all wise to get the simple shot.
There are many ways to get a small injury or cut while walking a Camino.

Being in Europe has nothing to do with it. The same good practice would apply in North America, Oz, NZ, or anywhere else.

Tetanus inoculation is a common practice for anyone who is traveling anywhere.
Hikers, campers, boaters, and just plain travelers are all wise to get the simple shot.
There are many ways to get a small injury or cut while walking a Camino.

Being in Europe has nothing to do with it. The same good practice would apply in North America, Oz, NZ, or anywhere else.

Exactly, like i said, so also when your staying at home, 'cause chances are, if you need it here, you will need it in your own country as well. Just common sense.

Like others have said, Tetanus is really all what you need. Regarding flu shots, as far as I know there are different 'strains' of flu 'available, so I wouldn't be too sure that an 'over-sea' jab protects you against the European strains, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Vaccination

Buen (infection-free) Camino! SY
This appears to assume people have kept their basic vaccinations up to date, and are prepared to take some risks with diseases that are not endemic in Europe, but nonetheless remain a risk for travellers.

There have been some useful links provided, but when it comes to travel, I would defer to the WHO advice for travellers. A good start point is http://www.who.int/entity/ith/precautions/travel_related/en/index.html.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure whether Rabies is still a problem in Spain, France is supposedly clear - but getting out of the way pronto is the best cure, tetanus jab should be a must as Spain and France are pretty rural. Treat any water with care and if in doubt treat it. Some insect protection is probably wise as you probably haven't got the resistance to foreign ones. Their is a wide choice of medicines at very reasonable prices available that usually need prescription outside Spain.

Well, after reading this, I am starting to feel vague symptoms of many possible diseases...
I have no experience on these vaccinations issue, so I only mention two things I always do before the Camino: a visit to my dentist, and a general medical checkup. The latter, imho, should be *strongly recommended* to all pilgrims over 50 yrs old.
Oh, and in my particular case, a visit to my orthopedist, to check up my wobbly right knee. He is quite amused with me, because he has many patients who are basket players, cyclists, skaters, etc....but I am his only pilgrim case :)

Last edited:

@Dutch --- I think your premise is rather flawed that non-Europeans consider Europe scary and third-world.

The immunization concerns my doctor raised had nothing to do with me going from the US to Europe. In fact, they had NOTHING at all to do with Europe. It had to do with people from across the entire world coming to Spain to walk the Camino, which meant possibility of exposure to a variety of illnesses and health concerns at a level of concentration unlikely to be found in Europe (or anywhere else) under almost any other circumstance. If the Camino was in any other country or continent (including in the USA, Australia, or Canada), his concerns would not have changed.

After reviewing my records, his final recommendation was simply to get the appropriate boosters for vaccinations I'd already received AND a meningitis vaccination (which I had not). This was primarily based on the risk of high density dorm lodging and on recommendations from the CDC and WHO, which were tracking elevated numbers of meningitis cases globally. Therefore, in the end, the precautions were nothing more than what is (arguably) a standard recommended set of immunizations that would be in place for our little third-world country (the USA) and a credible risk that was being tracked by the CDC/WHO. Sorry, but no global conspiracy or persecution here, just common sense to get current on coverage that has lapsed.

Last edited:
When I visited my doctor this week, she informed me that they don't do Tetanus boosters every 10 years now, they will usually wait until your are over 50 yrs and do one then.
I had never heard this before and was quite surprised, go figure, I'm sure another doctor would give me different advice, who knows.

@Dutch --- I think your premise is rather flawed that non-Europeans consider Europe scary and third-world.

The immunization concerns my doctor raised had nothing to do with me going from the US to Europe. In fact, they had NOTHING at all to do with Europe. It had to do with people from across the entire world coming to Spain to walk the Camino, which meant possibility of exposure to a variety of illnesses and health concerns at a level of concentration unlikely to be found in Europe (or anywhere else) under almost any other circumstance. If the Camino was in any other country or continent (including in the USA, Australia, or Canada), his concerns would not have changed.

After reviewing my records, his final recommendation was simply to get the appropriate boosters for vaccinations I'd already received AND a meningitis vaccination (which I had not). This was primarily based on the risk of high density dorm lodging and on recommendations from the CDC and WHO, which were tracking elevated numbers of meningitis cases globally. Therefore, in the end, the precautions were nothing more than what is (arguably) a standard recommended set of immunizations that would be in place for our little third-world country (the USA) and a credible risk that was being tracked by the CDC/WHO. Sorry, but no global conspiracy or persecution here, just common sense to get current on coverage that has lapsed.

Wauw, i wonder what your doctors advice would be when you would go to Disneyworld.

Wauw, i wonder what your doctors advice would be when you would go to Disneyworld.
To have current immunizations. I doubt he'd distinguish between DisneyWorld or EuroDisney. Not everyone outside Europe is ignorant or prejudiced.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Australia I can attend my own doctor easily, just pop in after work. However when leaving the country I don't want to get sick and it is the perfect time to make sure I'm up to date. One of the only times I am. The vaccination I had for the flue is against the most common one that developed over the European winter. I haven't got that immunity yet, in this we tend to be two seasons behind.

Well, after reading this, I am starting to feel vague symptoms of many possible diseases...
I have no experience on these vaccinations issue, so I only mention two things I always do before the Camino: a visit to my dentist, and a general medical checkup. The latter, imho, should be *strongly recommended* to all pilgrims over 50 yrs old.
Oh, and in my particular case, a visit to my orthopedist, to check up my wobbly right knee. He is quite amused with me, because he has many patients who are basket players, cyclists, skaters, etc....but I am his only pilgrim case :)
Hola Felipe - don't feel to concerned about your medical/dental preparedness being apparently lacking compared to other pilgrims. Like the Camino your journey through life is your journey and how you live your life governs the need for vaccinations. You have (imho) expressed very sensible ideas - especially a general check-up, before undertaking a 700 plus km walk. Buen Camino

Hi Dutch,
Couldn't agree more with you in fact didn't the Pilgrim Fathers, the Shiploads of Convicts and Spencer Tracy ( Northwest Passage ) all have injections before they departed Europe. I'm sure they did.
It was the American indians who needed the inoculations when you sent us the Pilgrim Fathers. I'll leave it to an Aussie to comment on the convicts. I suspect Spencer Tracy needed his Heb B sequence about the time he got "Adams Rib" with Katherine Hepburn . . . :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was the American indians who needed the inoculations when you sent us the Pilgrim Fathers. I'll leave it to an Aussie to comment on the convicts. I suspect Spencer Tracy needed his Heb B sequence about the time he got "Adams Rib" with Katherine Hepburn . . . :rolleyes:

Hi,
Many thanks for that, How did I know you would have the complete answer.

Cheers.

Oh, and in my particular case, a visit to my orthopedist, to check up my wobbly right knee.
I had some minor, nagging tendinitis some mornings right where my Achilles tendon entered my back heel. It always went away with basic stretching in the morning, and I did NOT check with my orthopedist. So, I walked 500 miles with daily stretching and felt great for several months after. Then, without much warning, the tendinitis returned with a vengeance.

Then and only then did I go to the ortho, and he told me the problem was that we needed to realign my hips which were slightly misaligned; the effects on the misalignment on my walking was causing the tendinitis. Walking so far "cemented" the misalignment in place because I strengthened the compensating muscles, which masked the problem until my fitness level decreased. According to him, because I did NOT see him before I left, the correction/treatment process would take three to four times as long.

Thus, I will NEVER walk another Camino without first seeing my ortho!

How did I know you would have the complete answer.
I actually deferred to the Aussies for the convict shipments. Can anyone really explain the Australians??? <Well, except maybe the New Zealanders . . .> ;)

Last edited:
Thank God mine are all up to date! Even including a yellow fever injection which I apparently needed for Zambia last September. That one, and the 8 week course of Malarone for malaria prevention set me back £250! Not cheap! Luckily the others (tet, booster diphtheria, polio )were free on NHS, otherwise it would've been a REALLY expensive visit to my brother in Zimbabwe....

Just called my Public Health Unit (Canada), and they said all immunizations should be current, including Hep A and B, tetanus, polio, diphtheria, etc. (They're all good for 10 years). And they are strongly recommending everyone get a Measles booster if we are travelling internationally. We have an appointment for next week (cutting it close - we leave in less than 3 weeks).

Hola Felipe - don't feel to concerned about your medical/dental preparedness being apparently lacking compared to other pilgrims. Like the Camino your journey through life is your journey and how you live your life governs the need for vaccinations. You have (imho) expressed very sensible ideas - especially a general check-up, before undertaking a 700 plus km walk. Buen Camino
Thanks, Mike. I am not specially concerned about this issue. I just take some precautions that my many birtdhays and some experiences (as those of koilife) have taught me are sensible. And, generally speaking, I follow the recommendation of an hospitalero: "Don´t worry, Saint James care for his flock". And sometimes, it seems to be really true.

Last edited:
BTW don't get your booster for hepatitis too close to your trip. Mine was injected into my arm and this felt sore for five to six days. Very sensitive for picking up a bacpack and slinging it on your back.

I actually deferred to the Aussies for the convict shipments. Can anyone really explain the Australians??? <Well, except maybe the New Zealanders . . .> ;)
WHAT do you mean "explain the Australians"? We do not need any explaining to anyone else - Kiwi; Yank; Pom or Others. We are very happy with our lot - selling the Chinese as much iron ore and coal as they can handle - we have 3 of the top 10 "tripple A" Banks - some of us are not happy about the current government (but that's a domestic matter) - and we are handling the search for MH370.
As for vaccinations - like the American "First Nations" Peoples, I think our Indigenous Peoples would have preferred the convicts and British sailors to have been vaccinated before boarding the First Fleet in 1787.
Buen Camino:);):cool:o_O

WHAT do you mean "explain the Australians"? We do not need any explaining to anyone else - Kiwi; Yank; Pom or Others. We are very happy with our lot - selling the Chinese as much iron ore and coal as they can handle - we have 3 of the top 10 "tripple A" Banks - some of us are not happy about the current government (but that's a domestic matter) - and we are handling the search for MH370.
As for vaccinations - like the American "First Nations" Peoples, I think our Indigenous Peoples would have preferred the convicts and British sailors to have been vaccinated before boarding the First Fleet in 1787.
I stand humbled before the awesomeness of your accent . . . ;)

G'day Mate!

€60,-

Nice one Mike " give some enough rope and yes they will hang themselves " do you think he may have a greenhouse with some stones inside ?

Same for me ... Dr suggested these shots . But she did say too that she would recommend these shots even if we weren't going

Way up on the Camino San Salvador, back before it was properly waymarked, I was caught up in a barbed-wire fence and cut up the palm of my left hand. I went to the first doctor I came to, in the Centro Salud in Pola de Lena. I had my Spanish health system card with me, but they waved it aside, whacked me with a tetanus shot, and patched up my hand in a twinkling.
You can get shots here if you need them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Way up on the Camino San Salvador, back before it was properly waymarked, I was caught up in a barbed-wire fence and cut up the palm of my left hand. I went to the first doctor I came to, in the Centro Salud in Pola de Lena. I had my Spanish health system card with me, but they waved it aside, whacked me with a tetanus shot, and patched up my hand in a twinkling.
You can get shots here if you need them.

True! And on two earlier occasions I experienced the lovely and high quality assistance of the spanish Centros de Salud. But I really don't want to " bother " them too much with these kind of issues when prevention is possible.

Always recommend a couple of vaccinations to my brother before we go on our annual walking holidays :)

Regarding the Spanish Health System: I was told that pilgrims are treated free of charge for problems which arise as a result of walking the Camino. Can anyone confirm this?

Regarding the Spanish Health System: I was told that pilgrims are treated free of charge for problems which arise as a result of walking the Camino. Can anyone confirm this?
My general experience is that emergency treatment doesn't attract a charge at public hospitals in the EU and UK. I am not sure what limits might be placed on this, and at what point emergency treatment stops. I would still carry travel insurance just in case I suffered an illness or accident that required more care or evacuation back to Australia.

Yes. The Spanish Health System can confirm this. So contact them and find out. I wouldn't rely on any anecdotal information found here to suspend responsibility for ensuring you have adequate travel insurance.

What you may find is that minor health issues are dealt with free of charge ... because it costs less than dealing with the administration of getting money from your insurer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Message from liver, lungs, intestines, stomach, heart and joints to the brain: –Hey you, up there! Are you nuts? A bit of exercise is good, but this is too much! Not to mention the unusual meals and water. And we are dealing with a lot of new bacteria and viruses!

Brain to everybody: -Calm down, buddies. The guy who hired us is going through one of his crazy walking phases. This will stop after some weeks. Just hold the fort for a while.

Grumbling and subdued chorus: -Ok, we will try until we come back home. But you know, we are not getting any younger!

Last edited:
Yes. The Spanish Health System can confirm this. So contact them and find out. I wouldn't rely on any anecdotal information found here to suspend responsibility for ensuring you have adequate travel insurance.

What you may find is that minor health issues are dealt with free of charge ... because it costs less than dealing with the administration of getting money from your insurer.
I totally agree. The Red Cross can provide quality first aid as well. You need to have travel coverage.
Vaccinations and booster shots should be the same protocol as as you do at home. Spain is not a third world country by the way.

2015 flu shots are now available and given that there are some potentially nasty strains that could come out of Asia, I have had my first flu shot since SARS first emerged. It's not the Camino that worries me, it is the circulating air on the long haul Singapore to Barcelona flight to get there. I work in health so am up to date with the usual Hep variants, tetanus etc. I would recommend that people get tested for their immunity to childhood diseases such as pertussis/whooping cough and measles. Especially if you have potential contact with babies or pregnant women. That's recommended anyway in Australia, not just for travel.

Do you think the circulating air on a shorter flight like aussie to Singapore is any better? I am not sure that there is a big difference in flying 5 hours or 15 hours, when in comes to being in contact with circulating airplane air.

Good thing your flying to and from one of the cleanest countries in the world....Singapore.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.