• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling with a new second first name

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
This might seem like a minor problem, but would like to know what you think:

Leaving for Spain in March. I have just added a second first name together with the one I already have through authorities here in Norway. Should be nice using my new name on the Camino when introducing myself to other pilgrims, to make things a bit easier as the one I have is difficult to pronounce, and especially to remember, for other than Norwegians. Both my passport and flight tickets has only my main and old first name (and full surname of course). I don’t really want to spend money on renewing my passport before I have to (short of money for the time being), and the expiry date is in about 4 years time.

Would this matter at all you think? I mean, who would know on the airlines or at the customs while I’m travelling, and I can’t think of any situation where they should find out that I now actually have a double first name. If I ask the authorities here they would most likely say “change your passport” to make things correct, but could this get me into any trouble at all?
Would anybody know? :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This may vary from country to country but if you are changing your name due to marriage or any other reason then usually it is easier to travel initially under your old name and passport (as long as the passport and the tickets match), this is quite common for honeymoons. You can then update your passport at a later date when you will not be travelling for a number of weeks and can be without your passport.

The rules for travelers arriving in, or transiting thru (whether planned or unplanned) the US are now quite strict. The ticket and your travel credential (passport, ID card, etc) must match EXACTLY. Spelling, initials, everything.

No ifs, ands, buts, or quibbles. This is causing even Americans quite a headache. And many of the European agencies are following the US protocol, either explicitly or for convenience.

So you may find it easier to go ahead with an early renewal of your credential.

That being said, none of your fellow pilgrims are likely to ever see your ticket or your passport, so you can introduce yourself to us as anything you like. In France, most pilgrims made lodging reservations using only their first name anyhow (so I'm told).

So, make sure your paperwork will satisfy the security authorities, and adopt whatever pilgrim persona is a good fit for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
William; I guess you are right, as long as ticket and passport match, it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Kitsambler; As I say above, my ticket and my passport is showing the exact same name.
I've always wanted an international name, and I thought now, before going back to the Camino, was a good time to change (add) it :)
I like to call myself what I am called :) My only little worry was; would this extra name cause problems for me in Spain in any way, not with other pilgrims, but the authorities?
Thanks for your answer, Kitsambler :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back