• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trial and Error - Footwear decisions

Markaphx

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - March / April 2015
Hello fellow Pilgrims, The countdown is 4 days before I leave for my first Camino! (Frances)

Sorry for the long post. I'm posting all the problems I went through deciding on Camino footwear in the hopes it helps other Pilgrims. After lots of trail and error this is what I think/hope will work for my first Camino. Please feel free to comment or add what works for you.

First of all... I love REI. I took an embarrassing number of shoes back and they cheerfully took them back and spent time trying to get me into something that would work. I live in Phoenix, AZ so all shoes were tested during training hikes on a combination of street and pretty rocky uneven desert trails.

I have several pairs of Merrells, but my old favorite hiking boots weren't going to hold up for a full Camino. They've been all over the world with me and are pretty well sprung. Therefore, the first shoes I tried were a replacement pair of Merrell Moab Mid Ventilator. I love these boots for pavement walking, but offroad I felt every rock on which I stepped. The soles seemed very thin. My feet were very sore and tired after a short hike on rocky ground. Returned.

Next I bought a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX hiking boots. These felt great in the store. But just wearing them one day to work I discovered the toe box is very narrow and uncomfortable after a few minutes wear. I developed a good sized blister on the side of my little toe from the squeezing. I had even bought a little bigger size then I usually wear to compensate for swelling etc. Returned. I really wanted a pair of Salomons since the reviews are great. I spent most of an afternoon (like 4 hours) trying on Salomons and other shoes in my REI and walking around the store in them. The narrow toe box seems to be universal among Salomon models.

Next I took home a pair of Patagonia AC Drifters . Love these shoes. Stable, hard-soled, but flexible and well padded with a wide toe box. I also like they have tear dropped shaped eyelets that "lock" the laces in place and they never come unlaced. I can leave the laces in toe area loose and tighter over the upper foot and it stays mostly in place. My GPS says I've put nearly 70 miles in training hikes on this pair already and they just get more comfortable. Good to go! (One more thing.. I usually wear US size 12. On these Drifters I went with a size 13 to account for swelling, wool socks, and to avoid "black toe" on downhills. So glad I did! They feel great!)

But I wasn't done... I wanted a second pair of "camp shoes" that could double as hiking shoes if the need arose.

I took home a pair of Keen Arroyo II Hiking Sandals. They were very comfortable / well padded and I could wear them around town and be happy. But they have a thin elastic pull string lacing system that I just could not keep tight enough. On the trail they would open up and my foot would twist over inside the shoe when I stepped on uneven ground. Almost really injured myself when loose shoes twisted under me a couple of times. Very quickly returned!

The REI salesperson enthusiastically suggested a pair of Chaco Z/1 Unasweep Sandals. I was hesitant because they appear to be a no thrills basic sandal and I didn't think they'd be supportive or protective enough without a toe cover, but do have impressive thick Vibrim outsoles. I love these sandals! The rubber footbed is engineered to be supportive in the right places and is thick enough to protect feet on the roughest trails. The straps wrap around the whole foot and can be individually adjusted. In training hikes there is one place on the outside of my heel where the strap meets the sole that I'll need to tape to avoid a rub spot but overall they are awesome after some breaking in. I think these will be my go to footwear in decent weather.

OK, there it is, again sorry for the long post. Every one is differnt, but through trial and error I've discovered Patagonia AC Drifters and Chaco Z/1 Unasweep sandals appear to work great for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello fellow Pilgrims, The countdown is 4 days before I leave for my first Camino! (Frances)

Sorry for the long post. I'm posting all the problems I went through deciding on Camino footwear in the hopes it helps other Pilgrims. After lots of trail and error this is what I think/hope will work for my first Camino. Please feel free to comment or add what works for you.

First of all... I love REI. I took an embarrassing number of shoes back and they cheerfully took them back and spent time trying to get me into something that would work. I live in Phoenix, AZ so all shoes were tested during training hikes on a combination of street and pretty rocky uneven desert trails.

I have several pairs of Merrells, but my old favorite hiking boots weren't going to hold up for a full Camino. They've been all over the world with me and are pretty well sprung. Therefore, the first shoes I tried were a replacement pair of Merrell Moab Mid Ventilator. I love these boots for pavement walking, but offroad I felt every rock on which I stepped. The soles seemed very thin. My feet were very sore and tired after a short hike on rocky ground. Returned.

Next I bought a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX hiking boots. These felt great in the store. But just wearing them one day to work I discovered the toe box is very narrow and uncomfortable after a few minutes wear. I developed a good sized blister on the side of my little toe from the squeezing. I had even bought a little bigger size then I usually wear to compensate for swelling etc. Returned. I really wanted a pair of Salomons since the reviews are great. I spent most of an afternoon (like 4 hours) trying on Salomons and other shoes in my REI and walking around the store in them. The narrow toe box seems to be universal among Salomon models.

Next I took home a pair of Patagonia AC Drifters . Love these shoes. Stable, hard-soled, but flexible and well padded with a wide toe box. I also like they have tear dropped shaped eyelets that "lock" the laces in place and they never come unlaced. I can leave the laces in toe area loose and tighter over the upper foot and it stays mostly in place. My GPS says I've put nearly 70 miles in training hikes on this pair already and they just get more comfortable. Good to go! (One more thing.. I usually wear US size 12. On these Drifters I went with a size 13 to account for swelling, wool socks, and to avoid "black toe" on downhills. So glad I did! They feel great!)

But I wasn't done... I wanted a second pair of "camp shoes" that could double as hiking shoes if the need arose.

I took home a pair of Keen Arroyo II Hiking Sandals. They were very comfortable / well padded and I could wear them around town and be happy. But they have a thin elastic pull string lacing system that I just could not keep tight enough. On the trail they would open up and my foot would twist over inside the shoe when I stepped on uneven ground. Almost really injured myself when loose shoes twisted under me a couple of times. Very quickly returned!

The REI salesperson enthusiastically suggested a pair of Chaco Z/1 Unasweep Sandals. I was hesitant because they appear to be a no thrills basic sandal and I didn't think they'd be supportive or protective enough without a toe cover, but do have impressive thick Vibrim outsoles. I love these sandals! The rubber footbed is engineered to be supportive in the right places and is thick enough to protect feet on the roughest trails. The straps wrap around the whole foot and can be individually adjusted. In training hikes there is one place on the outside of my heel where the strap meets the sole that I'll need to tape to avoid a rub spot but overall they are awesome after some breaking in. I think these will be my go to footwear in decent weather.

OK, there it is, again sorry for the long post. Every one is differnt, but through trial and error I've discovered Patagonia AC Drifters and Chaco Z/1 Unasweep sandals appear to work great for me.
Your odyssey through the footwear department mirrors mine almost exactly except I ended up choosing the Salomon and rejecting the Patagonia. Footwear seems to the first encounter Pilgrims have with different strokes for different folks.
Now, on the Camino your feet will undoubtedly change shape a little with the effort of walking 20+km per day. May I suggest stretching your calf muscles often throughout the day. Nothing like tight calves to pull the little muscles and tendons in the foot out of shape causing pain and tendon inflammation.
Also, stopping, taking your off your boots for a few minutes and changing your socks will help with fatigue and avoiding blisters.
Onward and upward
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stopped recommending footware when I took my wife shopping for a pair of boots. I aimed her at some good brands a few years ago but then quickly realized that my input was neither needed nor appreciated after a bit of time at the store. She found her own way through trial and error and ended up with a pair of Keen boots, not sure the style, but they are stiff soled, cushion against rocks, and have a bit of ankle support. My daughter hikes in a pair of Oboz mid-boots, they are lighter and far more flexible than my wife's heavy/stiff Keen mid-boots. I use light Zamberlan 230 GTX Crossers, which have a very flexible sole, yet also have enough padding under the foot to absorb rocks. So I feel them, but they don't hurt.

We each must find that which works for our individual needs.

FWIW, we are walking the Camino in 2016 and the boot choices may change by then if our current footwear is worn out before then. We are hiking the Hadrian's Wall path in England in a couple months. In the back of my mind I am thinking that I will use a walking SHOE on the Camino next year instead of a BOOT. I also own Zamberlan 130 GTX Crossers and those may be my Camino choice???

Have been going through the same process with my wife and a friend. Thank goodness for REI where you can try equipment and take it back if you can't really use it!!!!

My wife tried and our friend tried a pair of Anhu's, that wound up not working. My wife tried a larger size and was not quite satisfied, then I had her try the female version of my Vasque's. She loves them. And we're so cute with our matching boots.

Our friend took the second pair of boots back today for hiking SHOES. I hope that works out for her. We're all leaving on the 5th of April.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.