• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two backpacks?

almorris

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
Hi all. I'm walking the Camino dos faros in September with luggage transfers between stages. So I was thinking of one backpack for between stages with minimal gear ( poncho etc ) and a larger backpack for everything else. But the larger one need not be too big though? Change of clothes, sandals, fleece? So what size backpacks think you?

Take care,

Al Morris.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all. I'm walking the Camino dos faros in September with luggage transfers between stages. So I was thinking of one backpack for between stages with minimal gear ( poncho etc ) and a larger backpack for everything else. But the larger one need not be too big though? Change of clothes, sandals, fleece? So what size backpacks think you?

Take care,

Al Morris.
Like a little one for walking... maybe like 15 to 20 liters. As far as the shipping I don't think its size really matters. I've seen all sorts of bags labeled for shipment, from 35L bags to full on suitcases.

Like a little one for walking... maybe like 15 to 20 liters. As far as the shipping I don't think its size really matters. I've seen all sorts of bags labeled for shipment, from 35L bags to full on suitcases.

Something to consider..........the smaller packs tend not to be as comfortable as the larger ones.
So for example, when I have used luggage transfer in the past due to injury, I carried my normal 35L pack and sent excess gear forward in a nylon zip up laundry bag!

So make sure the bag you are carrying is comfortable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My day pack for shorter walks (2-4 hours) is 12 li. Water, light rain jacket, fleece if needed, snacks, lunch if needed, first aid kit, and a little space left. For bushwalking I use a 25 li day pack, but carry a heavier rain jacket, change of underwear and socks, small towel, PLB as well, but rarely have it fully loaded. There is enough room for a half litre thermos for coffee.

I have never felt the need to have my pack transported on the camino, but clearly I could use something smaller than any of those I have used before. Before carrying some additional medical appliances, I could fit everything I needed into a Deuter Guide 45+, so perhaps something around 40 li might suffice.

Last edited:
My backpacks range from 28L to 32L, depending on which route I'm walking.
My daypack, if I'm using pack transport, is about 12L.
Another option I have done if I'm using pack transport is to carry my regular 28L pack and put a few heavier items like my sleeping bag and heavier clothes in a plastic "China bag" and send it on ahead with pack transport. You can buy those bags in any of the China Bazaars and they're generally under €5-6.

Are you even sure you can have your backpack transported on the Camino Dos Faros. It is a relatively unknown Camino. I would just make sure my regular backpack is light enough that I can carry it all the way. You really don't need much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used 2 packs last year. My regular Osprey Eja 38 went with the transport service. Daily I used a Deuter Women's Speed Lite 23l pack. I chose this because it has a lightweight hip-belt so all the weight was not just on my shoulders. I could also access my water bottles from the side pockets. These were major factors for me, your needs might be different. I could fit the empty Deuter pack inside my Osprey Eja, with everything else. This was handy when I travelled to and from the Camino and also the day I messed up my transport arrangements and had to carry my Osprey (duh, I'm and idiot!).

I do not subscribe to the idea that if your pack has spare capacity you carry more. Both my packs have straps that enable the pack to be synched in....it's not rocket science 😉

This year I am and hoping to build up my back strength again and carry just my pack Osprey Eja, it does make life on Camino a lot simpler if you can carry your pack.

BTW I learnt to carry my flip flops in my daypack. When you arrive at an albergue you have to take off your shoes/boots and sometimes I'd arrive before my main pack.

I have done the Camino Portugués with luggage transport, carrying a small backpack 25 liter size and having a suitcase transported. I find a wheeled suitcase easier to get through airports, less likely to snag on stuff or get damaged, and easier to unpack and repack in the accommodations. Many daypacks will even fit inside a carry-on sized suitcase, or take it on the plane with your flight supplies if you check the suitcase. I had a 60 liter suitcase on that trip because we were doing more typical holiday travelling on either end of the Camino and wanted room for more clothes and souvenirs. The daypack was about 25 litres on that trip. I didn’t need 25 litres in volume for the day’s stuff but the better suspension was worth it.

I’m currently on del Norte carrying my stuff on most stages, but staying open to the occasional luggage transfer, so I have a 48 liter for the regular days, and a Osprey 18 liter “Ultralight Collapsible” daypack for transfer service days. It has been large enough for that purpose, and compresses down to size of a coffee cup. It works okay, but doesn’t have waist strap, so isn’t as comfortable as real daypack, and isn’t very tough, so might not stand up to everyday use. And I would echo what Robo said about comfort: it’s not just about size, larger packs come with better shoulder and hip padding that can make a big difference to the day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Take care,

Al Morris.
One backpack and a blue Ikea bag for luggage transfer. A regular size backpack with just the days essentials will feel light. But can also carry everything if you desire.

and a Osprey 18 liter “Ultralight Collapsible” daypack for transfer service days. It has been large enough for that purpose, and compresses down to size of a coffee cup. It works okay, but doesn’t have waist strap, so isn’t as comfortable as real daypack, and isn’t very tough, so might not stand up to everyday use.
Have you considered offloading heavier items into that day pack and shipping that ahead while you wear your comfortable backpack?

Take care,

Al Morris.
I used two packs, much as you're describing, but my little pack turned out to be very uncomfortable and so I would stuff as much as I could into each day, ship it, and wear the bigger pack with more in it than I needed. If you're going to use two, make sure your day-pack is comfortable (i.e. hip belt with appropriate padding, and appropriate padding on shoulder straps). Mine wasn't.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read somewhere that some, if not all, pack transport companies now refuse to take suitcases - or is it the albergues refuse to accept them?

I read somewhere that some, if not all, pack transport companies now refuse to take suitcases
This is definitely NOT true. As far as I know, all of the transport companies will accept suitcases, but generally only carry-on size or smaller.

Jacotrans says this:

Screenshot 2024-04-05 160458.jpg

This is on the Correos site:

Screenshot 2024-04-05 160628.jpg

From Pilbeo:

Screenshot 2024-04-05 161033.jpg

As far as albergues not accepting suitcases - Most municipal, parochial and donativo albergues have never accepted suitcases or backpacks. Only pilgrims walking unsupported can stay at many of these places.
There was a thread last year about one private albergue that would accept backpacks but not suitcases, but that's not widespread amongst the private albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This might be true, I don't know. Perhaps you could provide more details.

This is not generally true. See this thread from last year for more details: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ues-11-albergues-affected-by-this-rule.80564/
Regarding the backpack transporting companies, I have no specific details. However, I can imagine some might jibe at picking up and carrying a suitcase that weighs up to the airline limit of 20 kilos. Edited to acknowledge Treciles post.

Take care,

Al Morris.
Hi Al, Can you help me with what luggage transfers you used? And how you worked out where to stop each stage? I have just decided to do the Camino & have scoliosis so will need to use luggage transfers. Thanks LD

Hi Al, Can you help me with what luggage transfers you used? And how you worked out where to stop each stage? I have just decided to do the Camino & have scoliosis so will need to use luggage transfers. Thanks LD
We used JacoTrans. Bag transport service is excellent on the Camino Frances. (Haven’t experienced Dos Faros!) Every pickup and delivery was on time on two- and three-week Caminos in 2019, 2021 and 2023.

Before each trip began, we decided how far we wanted to walk each day. We had a travel service book rooms and transport ahead of time. We did a fair amount of training beforehand so had a good idea how far we could walk safely and comfortably.

We really didn’t need to pack much stuff. I carry a good 18-liter Osprey HikeLite backpack (padded straps, waist band, and reachable water bottle pockets) and have a small, wheeled carry-on bag transported. Almost every night I needed to carry both bags upstairs to a sleeping room. Between that and the airports, trains and buses to get to and from the Camino, I was often moving with both bags — it’s worth thinking about how your two bags work together. For me, a wheeled carry-on is more useful than a 2nd backpack.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Take care,

Al Morris.
I thought about the pack in the pack option. I could get it to work, but I found that the second pack just added too much weight and took up too much space. I also thought about using a small stuffable pack as a daypack, but I like having a frame in the pack to distribute the weight off of my shoulders.

My solution was to go with a 28 L pack and include a stuffable and adjustable duffel bag for shipping the extra stuff. The adjustable duffel bag takes up much less room than a second pack and weighs about half as much. I was able to get everything into the main pack for train & bus travel in getting to and from the Camino.

As far as the day pack, I took my valuables, medications, first aid kit, clothing layers for the day, a bit of food and about a liter of water in a hydration pack. Don't know the exact weight but I'm sure it was under 10 pounds. The rest went into the adjustable duffel bag that was adjusted down to the needed size and shipped to the next stop.

Are you even sure you can have your backpack transported on the Camino Dos Faros. It is a relatively unknown Camino. I would just make sure my regular backpack is light enough that I can carry it all the way. You really don't need much.
I've booked hotel stays for each stage with luggage transport included. Or the package I booked has arranged that. So I'm thinking I only need enough space to walk to the next stage. Poncho, fleece, and whatever. I don't know wether to chance just one backpack or not. Not really into going out to bars or anything like that, it's really just a change of clothes?
I can, give me a day to find the info and I'll send it on. V busy just now.
Hi, I booked through a travel agency Travels to Finisterre. They've a website and I just gave them the dates and they booked accommodations at the end of each stage with luggage transfer. Not the cheapest option, especially as I had a single supplement as well but takes the hassle out of it.

I've booked hotel stays for each stage with luggage transport included. Or the package I booked has arranged that. So I'm thinking I only need enough space to walk to the next stage. Poncho, fleece, and whatever. I don't know wether to chance just one backpack or not. Not really into going out to bars or anything like that, it's really just a change of clothes?

I can, give me a day to find the info and I'll send it on. V busy just now.

Hi, I booked through a travel agency Travels to Finisterre. They've a website and I just gave them the dates and they booked accommodations at the end of each stage with luggage transfer. Not the cheapest option, especially as I had a single supplement as well but takes the hassle out of it.
Thank you Al

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Take care,

Al Morris.
I am leaving April 14 to fly to Porto to begin my Camino. I was going to do as you are thinking…2 backpacks Over the course of packing and rearranging I have come up with “my perfect “ solution. I’m wanting only carry on so I started with a Sirius 24 and a Derek Alexander cross over bag.
Into these I have put
Sirius pack- extra bag suitable to become my transported bag
My clothes in a packing cube- 1 swimsuit, 1 pair leggings, 1 pair weather resistant zip off pant/shorts, 1 Columbia light hiking dress, 1 long sleeve merino shirt, 2 short sleeve merino tshirts, 4 pair socks, 1 sports bra, 4 pair underwear, pack cover, baseball cap, light scarf, bigger sarong, light jacket, gaiters, rain poncho, recovery sandles, Saucony echelon walking runners
Laundry strips, 3 lg ziplocks and 4 light weight plastic bags. 10 doggy do bags & sm amount of toilet paper for off trail business.
Weight 10lbs
Cross over Bag- journal & pens, important papers, gloves & beenie, toiletries, first aid & meds, headlamp, technical stuff(power bank) EarPods cords and European plug, sham wow to help dry shoes out instead of newspaper, disinfectant cloths, mask, tin whistle
Weight 2 1/2 lbs
Everything is within limits of carry on and by having my technical & liquids in my crossover bag I only need to open that thru security.
When I get to the trail head everything goes into the spare bag for transport, only rain gear and water bottles (buying there) disposable and snacks go in my Sirius that I’m wearing. The cross over will also go in transported bag and I have a smaller document and money folder to wear.
I’m wearing for flight- leggings, tank top, fleece light weight jacket, socks etc Merril Moab 3 shoes.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.