• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

two pensioners to Santiago

• Thread starter Former member 8162
  • Start date
F

Former member 8162

Hallo, We are a couple having an autumn life crisis.We leave St Jean in mid march hopefully across the high route and on to Santiago.We have been walking every day to get fit especially in the snow as we expect to encounter some resistance in that area. We have no idea what"s in store but are setting off with good humour and a hope that St James will keep his eye on us.We are taking artic sleeping bags and good quality clothes bought from the sales .Walking poles we have found are great in the snow. What an adventure for two old biddies!
Marion and Anthony

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your pilgrimage has already begun. Enjoy the preparation... walking, shopping, dreaming...

You will be on route during Easter. Holy Week is very important in Spain. Attend a mass just for the experience, and if you have the energy to stay up late, watch the Church pageant. (The pageants were a big deal when I was on the Via de la Plata. I assume they are the same on the Camino Frances)

I know you will be toasty warm in your arctic sleeping bags.

Buen Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hello you two!
You will find answers to all the questions you will have on this forum!
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Many greetings from Holland in the Snow.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Be very sure you are not taking more than you need. I am a little concerned about the "Arctic"sleeping bags for the potential weight. I would go with the lightest bag possible and not be too concerned over warmth. You can always wear clothes to sleep in, but you can't make the bag any lighter during the day. Take less than you think you will need.
There is a lot of information here concerning pack weight.
Good luck on your great adventure. I am leaving SJPP in mid March as well...so we may see each other along the path.

There's lots of us 'lived-in' people around!

:D I cant accept your 'midlife crisis' definition, though! :D :D It's a release, an opportunity!! :D

Best wishes, buen camino...and dont carry too much!!!! :arrow:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Autumn years are difficult to parse in the latest statistics, but the more detailed age breakdown in earlier years indicates that you are not alone in your age category!!

Attachments

• Age 89 to 04.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Age 06 to 09.xls
    18 KB · Views: 9
I think you will find that many of the pilgrims (including moi) are your age and do just as well as the younger ones. Actually, most of the people who quit after a week or so were quite a bit younger. :wink:

I have the same concern as grayland about the "arctic" sleeping bags. I walked two years ago, starting in early March. I brought a very lightweight sleeping bag and it was fine. Most, or all, of the albergues had blankets. I think my very light pack weight greatly added to my enjoyment of the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At 59 I walked from Roncesvalles to Finisterre- marvelous experience. I want to leave in April from Vezelay and walk as far as I feel like, doing a pilgrimage for H2O.
I agree with advice below- the lighter the better! Lightweight evrything. My pack was 6 kilos and was fine ( I found a pair of shoes to wear, abandoned on the giveaway rack the first night. They'll be making the next Camino too.)
Buen Camino
Ferenji nan

Hello to you both. Can I make a suggestion? ( from an older to younger pilgrims) If you walk to the Refuge d'Orisson, 8 kms from St Jean, you will only have 19 kms to walk the next day. Have a look at St Jean, and then walk out mid afternoon. This refuge is dearer than the one at Huntto (6 kms from St Jean) because dinner and breakfast are included in the price. Their website is ... http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ This refuge is very popular, for the above reason, and if you go with this suggestion, book as soon as you know when you are arriving at St Jean. Bien Camino from Peter

hi you are not on your own i will be arriveing in sjpd on 20 th april my first camino been planing for a few months new rusksack new boots booked first night l esprit du chemin st jean i hope to compleat the walk about late may past 65 very excited now good luck john

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for your kind and caring advice, we are very excited now ,having put together all our kit, booked our flight, booked our taxi and are going on a training weekend in the Dales this weekend . Will post on our route.

Two pensioners

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.