• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two way satellite communicator

Austinhikes

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hey everyone, just wondering what everyones opinion is .

I own a two way satellite communicator and I mainly use it for when I’m backpacking in remote areas here in Canada and the USA for family back home to track my journey and communicate with them through text and email and also to initiate a SOS if I were to need it .

Do you think it would be useful to bring just in terms of communication back home? Or is cell service good throughout the Camino Frances where it’s not needed?

Just wondering as I’ve only done wilderness trails and the Camino is basically a new world to me in terms of infrastructure. I hear cell reception is good for the most part… still like to hear your thoughts?

Thanks
Austin ✌️

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cell service is better all along the Camino Frances than it is in my neighbourhood of suburban Vancouver. The only reason to carry it would be as a conversation piece with retro-techno nerds. ;) (No disrespect to them - a perfect valid reason!)
Totally agree about not necessary on the Camino. I can’t speak to what u are used to in Canada as far as roaming cell phone access, but I have two Garmins (inReach) myself, one mini and one of the bigger older ones. On the Frances the cell coverage is awesome. No need to go Satellite. Now your choice there is also interesting though… I’ve always been lazy and selected an ATT International plan instead of a local sim…

It’s not necessary, as others have said. However, if you already have a subscription active, you could take it for the tracking feature if your folks back home like to watch where you are, or if they’re very worried about you (nothing to worry about on the Camino, but some people can be worry warts). Also, international plans can be very expensive, or at least they were the last time I checked. It’s very cheap to take an unlocked phone and get a local SIM card in Spain. You can also get an international calling card for just a few euros and that would give you a lot more affordable talk time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey everyone, just wondering what everyones opinion is .

I own a two way satellite communicator and I mainly use it for when I’m backpacking in remote areas here in Canada and the USA for family back home to track my journey and communicate with them through text and email and also to initiate a SOS if I were to need it .

Do you think it would be useful to bring just in terms of communication back home? Or is cell service good throughout the Camino Frances where it’s not needed?

Just wondering as I’ve only done wilderness trails and the Camino is basically a new world to me in terms of infrastructure. I hear cell reception is good for the most part… still like to hear your thoughts?

Thanks
Austin ✌️
agree about the cell phone service. You can get a sim card and get a prepaid plan from Orange, Movistar or Vodafone to name a few. I was using Orange and it was very good. Now I use Vodafone. I pay about 20E every 28 days. (I have to recharge as I walk longer distances). I get more than enough calls within Spain and got something like 60 or 80 gigs of internet. I use Whatsapp or Facetime to call home. It works great and I never had to worry about using up my internet. Also it is super easy to recharge with Vodafone. They will send you a link when you need to recharge. The link has an English language site and it takes about 30 seconds to recharge your phone for another 28 days. Remember when you go to Vodafone bring your passport and also you have to recharge your phone with the same pre-paid plan. It is hassle free and easy and I think for most people alot cheaper than an international plan.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It’s not necessary, as others have said. However, if you already have a subscription active, you could take it for the tracking feature if your folks back home like to watch where you are, or if they’re very worried about you (nothing to worry about on the Camino, but some people can be worry warts).
Yes, you CAN take your Satellite GPS for this reason. But - you could also use an app on your phone to serve the same purpose. I did consider taking my Garmin InReach Mini last year - but so glad I didn't.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.