• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Uh-oh

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something to pay attention to:
So the European Parliament has now voted, and we can anticipate the EU Commission to take action in the next two months.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-02/europe-votes-impose-visas-americans

There are five (eastern, recently added) members of the EU for which the US still requires visas; all others are in the Visa Waiver Program. So there are two ways for this travel problem to disappear: (1) US could add the five additional EU members to the VWP, or (2) the EU Commission could ignore the resolution from EU Parliament.

The documentation required for a visa is considerable:
http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/france-visa/ and the requirements for Switzerland are identical, so I suspect they are uniform throughout the Schengen area.

However, each country requires a separate visa, and each visa process can take two months (one must mail in the passport, so this is a serial process for a multi-nation trip).

Can one of the Euros here please advise on the EU Parliament vs EU Commission? Is this new requirement likely to actually happen?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am all ears. I leave for spain may 30. Oh my

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This actually came up last year also. I think that it's unlikely to happen because of the impact it would have on tourism.

I hope y'all are right. Unfortunately, the political landscape has changed significantly in the past year. This sort of thing feels much less predictable lately.

This actually came up last year also. I think that it's unlikely to happen because of the impact it would have on tourism.
I wouldn't count on that. It wasn't so long ago that we had to get visas for France... late 80's or early 90's. If I remember correctly, it was in retaliation for our requiring visas for French citizens. It was only temporary, but I got stopped at the Swiss border two days before it ended.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
However, each country requires a separate visa, and each visa process can take two months (one must mail in the passport, so this is a serial process for a multi-nation trip).
I kind of doubt that because once you enter any country inside the Schengen area you are free to move around as there are no border controls.

I read the article off another news feed and it seems the EU did the same to Canada and by years end Canada will eliminate the visa process of all EU country not current exempt. I am sure all will work out fine. The news media really like to hype things up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't see this materialising either --

Last edited by a moderator:
This sort of thing feels much less predictable lately.
I'm ging to make a bold prediction. It's totally apolitical. It's just based on the (little) bits I know about how things work legally. I read quite a bit of nonsense (based on obvious ignorance) in some - not all - of the headlines and news articles that turned up in Google News today.

March, April, May - nothing will happen
June - meeting Commission and US delegation (already scheduled)
June/July - Commission follow up report (already planned)
August - summer

:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am not trying to stir up political debate, nor am I trying to scare anyone. I consider NPR a reliable source and thought that it was something that everyone should be aware of in case things change. The problem, of course, is that there's not anything that US passport holders can do to prepare for it if it does happen. Like others, I assume that ample notice will be given if and when such a policy is implemented, so I don't think there's any cause for hysteria.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I saw this pop up on social media today. Have had my flight booked to Paris for about a month now. I'm going to buy into what others are saying that this will be a longer process. I'm set to travel from May 23rd - mid July from the states. Really hoping this doesn't alter my trip in any way!

Not trying to touch on anything political, but I myself did think 2017-2022 would be a weird time for traveling.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No offense to anybody, but this is a useless thread, based on nothing concrete and all the information in regards to it comes from a radio show and no official government sources.
Why put unnecessary concern into anybody planning a Camino? I say delete the thread. It provides no advice or assistance to anybody.

It's still not a "done deal".

From the article above:

"The latest vote, prepared by the civil liberties committee and approved by a plenary session of parliament, gives the Commission two months to act before MEPs can consider action in the European Court of Justice.

The Commission is legally obliged to act to suspend the visa waiver for Americans, but the European Parliament or the Council of the European Union have the chance to object to the “delegated act” it uses to do so."

This is interesting, but not such a big deal. Over the years, for example, the Czech Republic and Canada have traded tit-for-tat visa requirements. When there was a requirement, I had to pay $70 for a visa and make sure I applied a week or two before traveling. Currently I need a visa for Australia but it can be acquired online for $25 (I think), more or less instantly.

It is good to be aware that visa requirements for various countries do change from time to time, and you should keep an eye on them as your travel time approaches. It is not the case that everyone will suddenly be barred!

I swear, sometimes I think there is some sort of odd attempt by some members of this forum to reduce potential Camino walkers by posting stuff like this. Something that is speculation. Possibility. Like bedbugs or no vacancy albergues.
Again, to any potential Camino walker from the US that is reading this ridiculous thread, just ignore it. If (repeat IF) this matter were to go into effect you will know about it when it happens and at that time deal with it. Otherwise, it's just useless noise. Don't change your plans. Live life (and the Camino) fearlessly.
ultreia

Some of the articles/headlines quoted in this thread are misleading/incomplete. They are best ignored.
Here are facts, not an opinion:
  • the EU Parliament cannot impose visa rules;
  • the EU parliament cannot force the European Commission to impose visa rules;
  • the European Commission has already reacted to the recent EP resolution and confirmed what they are going to do: continue to try to find a solution for the issues at hand by negotiating with the US administration and publish a progress report in June (see press briefing on 03/03/2017).

Some of you may be aware that yesterday, the EU parliament recommended by a non-binding show of hands that the EU commission require Americans to have visas to enter any EU country. This is basically in retaliation to the US currently requiring citizens of five EU countries to have visas to enter the US. Supposedly those countries (Poland, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria and Cyprus) don't meet certain standards the US requires for visa exemption. The EU parliament apparently has no real power and the Commission has the final decision. The recommendation is that the visa requirement be implemented within two months if reciprocity is not attained. If that were to occur, that could impact many of this forum's members' plans, some already scheduled (including mine). This is apparently not a "Trump thing" as the visa requirement has been in place for a while. The EU understands that the impact of imposing the visa requirement would be millions or billions of lost dollars/Euros. They have indicated that all they want is reciprocity such that no visas would be required for any EU member citizens. I have to think that the combination of US citizen pressures on congress and EU pressures to not endanger significant tourism revenues will result in some kind of reasonable compromise. All that said, it would be wise for all of us the watch this closely.

Some of you may be aware that yesterday, the EU parliament recommended by a non-binding show of hands that the EU commission require Americans to have visas to enter any EU country. This is basically in retaliation to the US currently requiring citizens of five EU countries to have visas to enter the US. Supposedly those countries (Poland, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria and Cyprus) don't meet certain standards the US requires for visa exemption. The EU parliament apparently has no real power and the Commission has the final decision. The recommendation is that the visa requirement be implemented within two months if reciprocity is not attained. If that were to occur, that could impact many of this forum's members' plans, some already scheduled (including mine). This is apparently not a "Trump thing" as the visa requirement has been in place for a while. The EU understands that the impact of imposing the visa requirement would be millions or billions of lost dollars/Euros. They have indicated that all they want is reciprocity such that no visas would be required for any EU member citizens. I have to think that the combination of US citizen pressures on congress and EU pressures to not endanger significant tourism revenues will result in some kind of reasonable compromise. All that said, it would be wise for all of us the watch this closely.
There are reports that American tourism (visits and flights TO the USA) has experienced a falloff in recent months. So maybe the bigger picture will develop in more complex ways: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/28/us-tourism-experiences-a-trump-slump

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have 3 passports: Australian, American, and Canadian. I haven't used the American one for almost 20 years. The Australian one is sooo much easier to travel with. Born in the USA, live in Oz.

There's reportedly a big slump in the American tourist business. Far fewer trips and flights inward these last few months. If the EU Commission gets snitty, it could be sad and a nuisance for Americans

Well worth keeping an eye on.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No longer an "if" ..

No. It is still "if". The vote by the Parliament is non-binding. It is essentially an advisory opinion to the EU Commission. And the EU Commission is smart enough not to commit economic suicide by making it difficult for Americans to spend their hard earned vacation dollars in Europe. This literally is much to do about nothing.

No. It is still "if". The vote by the Parliament is non-binding. It is essentially an advisory opinion to the EU Commission. And the EU Commission is smart enough not to commit economic suicide by making it difficult for Americans to spend their hard earned vacation dollars in Europe. This literally is much to do about nothing.
It wouldn't be economic suicide to give the golden goose a poke in the ribs. It would be intelligent.

This tread makes me want to say: -No comments..

I swear, sometimes I think there is some sort of odd attempt by some members of this forum to reduce potential Camino walkers by posting stuff like this. Something that is speculation. Possibility. Like bedbugs or no vacancy albergues.
Again, to any potential Camino walker from the US that is reading this ridiculous thread, just ignore it. If (repeat IF) this matter were to go into effect you will know about it when it happens and at that time deal with it. Otherwise, it's just useless noise. Don't change your plans. Live life (and the Camino) fearlessly.
ultreia

I guess we have different ideas about what is useless noise. I think it's important to be as informed about the issues of the day as possible. I'll bet a majority of the US forum members don't even know there is a European Parliament or what it has authority to do, much less how it relates to the European Commission, so Kathar1na's clarifying post educated a lot of us and that is a plus.

Only a careless reader would read the news articles linked to here and change plans or get hysterical. We can't control how people process information, but we can stick to the facts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/world/europe/eu-visas-parliament-united-states.html

There are lots of political percolations here, so I agree with you that it's time to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back