• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Underwear for the Camino??

Chris White

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in May 2015 (All the way)
Hi everyone. Just doing a bit of research on the best underwear to take for the Frances Camino. Has anyone tried the wool ones? How were they? Comfortable? Quick drying??? Any suggestions on brands are appreciated, and where you got them from. Cheers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took Exofficio, 2 pair---one wear and one in pack, washed daily. I always travel that way.

Base layer (Long underwear) 1 pair Patagonia and 1 long sleeve Ice Breaker 250 to go with.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim b - that's what I thought???? Anyone comment on the feel of them??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've done a bit more research on the Exofficio brand. They are 94% Nylon and 6% Lycra???? Not wool??? Are you sure the Nylon doesn't make you sweat heaps???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have several merino T shirts, but don't like the idea of wool knickers. Lately I have become a convert to bamboo (made by Boody). Their knickers are super comfortable and provide good wicking. The only downside is that they take quite a long time to dry.

All great advice. Appreciate the comments. Some very important factors to consider. So far I think the Exofficio sound like the better option. Backcountry.com seem to have some good specials on too at the moment. I've just been on their website, chatting to an agent, who has reduced the shipping price from $60US to Australia, to $10US, plus an extra 10% off the items. Looks like my search is over. Thanks again everyone.

I still have a couple of Ex officio base layer tops, but I gave up on the briefs/boxers when the elastic gave out. I now use briefs marketed by a local company, Snowgum. They have served me well for several years now.

I liked the synthetic, performance style briefs which are made by several companies (Under Armour, etc). I used the type with the longer 9" inseam. They don't bunch up, stay in place and kept me from getting chaffed. They dry really fast, too after washing and hanging on a line.

I used the under armour 9" seam on my last Camino and agree 100% with yer comment,loved them.

Exofficios for me.

Everyday boxers for me. For my 2013 Camino I tried tech stuff and got chaffing on inner thighs so ended up walking commando! I never forget to pack a small tin of Vaseline now just in case. Small as I am not one for putting anything on my feet apart for socks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been testing out undies. Bought a pair of Patagonia, ExOfficio and Terramar cool max bikini style undies. I've been wearing and laundering these through multiple wash cycles to make sure they will last through a camino. For comfort, I really like the Patagonia the best. Waist band is woven fabric and not elastic. Very comfy. I purchased the Patagonia at REI and they were $20 USD. Almost as comfortable are the Ex Officio. These have an elastic waist band but it is fine and doesn't cut or bind. The ExOfficio were purchased from Sierra Trading Post for $8.25. The Terramar undies for me didn't work out. The elastic waist band was uncomfortable, stiff, not stretchy enough and the stitching of elastic to fabric doesn't not look like it will hold up well. The Terramar were purchased from Sierra Trading Post for $6.25. For wicking performance all three brands did this well and were nice and cool. :cool:

Sierra Trading Post is a mail order discount outdoor wear supplier. They have good prices and the ExOfficio and Terramar undies would probably have cost more at REI. Since purchasing the first pairs, I'm really sold on the ExOfficio based on the cost and performance and am switching to these for every day wear, at home as I really like them and the price is reasonable.

If you shop the Sierra Trading Post website make sure you sign up for their sale emails. They will send you emails with links to purchase the items at a discounted price and sometimes offer free shipping. They carry Smart Wool, Ice Breaker, and lots of brands that are useful for your Camino.
I'm female so I was evaluating womens bikini style undies. Not sure how this info translates into mens undies by those three manufacturers. Maybe someone can do a side-by-side evaluation of the mens undies.
Laura
:)Like those ExOfficios

Last edited:
I've been testing out undies. Bought a pair of Patagonia, ExOfficio and Terramar cool max bikini style undies. I've been wearing and laundering these through multiple wash cycles to make sure they will last through a camino. For comfort, I really like the Patagonia the best. Waist band is woven fabric and not elastic. Very comfy. I purchased the Patagonia at REI and they were $20 USD. Almost as comfortable are the Ex Officio. These have an elastic waist band but it is fine and doesn't cut or bind. The ExOfficio were purchased from Sierra Trading Post for $8.25. The Terramar undies for me didn't work out. The elastic waist band was uncomfortable, stiff, not stretchy enough and the stitching of elastic to fabric doesn't not look like it will hold up well. The Terramar were purchased from Sierra Trading Post for $6.25. For wicking performance all three brands did this well and were nice and cool. :cool:

Sierra Trading Post is a mail order discount outdoor wear supplier. They have good prices and the ExOfficio and Terramar undies would probably have cost more at REI. Since purchasing the first pairs, I'm really sold on the ExOfficio based on the cost and performance and am switching to these for every day wear, at home as I really like them and the price is reasonable.

If you shop the Sierra Trading Post website made sure you sign up for their sale emails. They will send you emails with links to purchase the items at a discounted price and sometimes offer free shipping. They carry Smart Wool, Ice Breaker, and lots of brands that are useful for your Camino.
I'm female so I was evaluating womens bikini style undies. Not sure how this info translates into mens undies by those three manufacturers. Maybe someone can do a side-by-side evaluation of the mens undies.
Laura

Great post Laura. Thanks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have found that, in any sport, wearing underwear is an option that I do not consider.
If you sweat a lot, get wet a lot (it does rain on Camino), if you are wearing "quick dri" shorts...they dry...but your underwear remain damp, cold and chafe.
If you start out with chafing due to excess skin in the thighs...use more lubricant. After awhile, you have less skin and can use less lubricant.
Then, again, that's me. Making the Camino yours...is just that...yours.
Buen "kool in the breeze" Camino
Arn

Under Armour, wash up easy and dry fast.

If you shop the Sierra Trading Post website make sure you sign up for their sale emails. They will send you emails with links to purchase the items at a discounted price and sometimes offer free shipping. They carry Smart Wool, Ice Breaker, and lots of brands that are useful for your Camino.
Laura
Only if I can write off the cost on my taxes....:D

Under Armour, wash up easy and dry fast.
Yup, I can see it now...I've been trudge in along in the rain...or in 90degree temps...wet and sweaty like a dog. I stop for a cervezas and inquire if I can wash out my quick dri shorts...or, I change to my second pair and either hang them off my pack or carry them in my pack...eeeeeeewwwwwww
Then again, that's me

I get 9 out of 10 questions, even if they are asked for the zillionth time, but underwear? Really? :confused:

Hi Chris - great post - thanks for your question.

This is a subject that has given me sleepless nights and the odd nightmare recently! St Mike II and I are cycling in a very slow and leisurely manner from Pamplona out to Finisterre in September. I'm new to cycling as an adult and so I quite cheerfully say I'm clueless (but learning) as to recommendations with many aspects of long-distance cycling, including the right gear. One of these recommendations concerns the usual practice of not wearing undies under chamois-padded bike shorts and the use of butt cream. Not wearing undies just isn't right in my book, for the obvious reasons of hygiene etc. I've read many articles on the net on the reasons why undies aren't recommended but I wonder if there is an alternative to going commando? The necessity of washing the butt-cream affected bike shorts each afternoon in probably cold water in albergues is something that I'll do if there's no other choice, but if there is another option, (apart from not going!) I'd love to hear about it. One idea I had that I'm considering is to buy a small pair of Jockey Performance trunks undies for men (good design, no seams in the especially crucial areas, good wicking properties etc.) and wear those in training to see how I go. All suggestions will be gratefully received - especially resourceful ones!

Thanks and cheers - Jenny

PS - I have a 'comfort' bike saddle designed for women which helps a lot in taking pressure off the sensitive bits and helps in sitting properly but as it's a long way out to Finisterre I want to do everything I can to have a comfortable bike camino.

I get 9 out of 10 questions, even if they are asked for the zillionth time, but underwear? Really? :confused:

People overplan. I read something about bamboo pants over here: They sound not good for me. Bamboo pants sound really bad and painful: What is the point? : I'll stick to ordinary pants. I do not want bamboo or wooden pants, thank you.

Actually, I have bought boxers more comfortable in Spain than in any other place in Europe,

C'on folks: It is just a walk. Not difficult at all. Just go. And thank you for the laugh, folks :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone. Just doing a bit of research on the best underwear to take for the Frances Camino. Has anyone tried the wool ones? How were they? Comfortable? Quick drying??? Any suggestions on brands are appreciated, and where you got them from. Cheers.
I got merino undies from Macpac( a New Zealand company)Wonderfully comfy, I am impressed-no itch!

Last edited:
3 pair for 5 euros, 95% cotton, solid colours, no logo. So far so good :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Chris - great post - thanks for your question.

This is a subject that has given me sleepless nights and the odd nightmare recently! St Mike II and I are cycling in a very slow and leisurely manner from Pamplona out to Finisterre in September. I'm new to cycling as an adult and so I quite cheerfully say I'm clueless (but learning) as to recommendations with many aspects of long-distance cycling, including the right gear. One of these recommendations concerns the usual practice of not wearing undies under chamois-padded bike shorts and the use of butt cream. Not wearing undies just isn't right in my book, for the obvious reasons of hygiene etc. I've read many articles on the net on the reasons why undies aren't recommended but I wonder if there is an alternative to going commando? The necessity of washing the butt-cream affected bike shorts each afternoon in probably cold water in albergues is something that I'll do if there's no other choice, but if there is another option, (apart from not going!) I'd love to hear about it. One idea I had that I'm considering is to buy a small pair of Jockey Performance trunks undies for men (good design, no seams in the especially crucial areas, good wicking properties etc.) and wear those in training to see how I go. All suggestions will be gratefully received - especially resourceful ones!

Thanks and cheers - Jenny

PS - I have a 'comfort' bike saddle designed for women which helps a lot in taking pressure off the sensitive bits and helps in sitting properly but as it's a long way out to Finisterre I want to do everything I can to have a comfortable bike camino.
For you, Hanro Touch Feeling Boyshorts. Promise.

People overplan. I read something about bamboo pants over here: They sound not good for me. Bamboo pants sound really bad and painful: What is the point? : I'll stick to ordinary pants. I do not want bamboo or wooden pants, thank you.

Actually, I have bought boxers more comfortable in Spain than in any other place in Europe,

C'on folks: It is just a walk. Not difficult at all. Just go. And thank you for the laugh, folks :)
yup....for sure

My goodness: Is this the kind of people I sleep with in the albergues? ;): Discusting. Personally, I shower each day, stay clean, and hope for others to do the same. IMHO the way to go, obviously;)
Hi Alex - I'm paranoid about hygiene - in the Australian heat you have to be - and the idea of having to scrub those bike shorts at the albergue sinks, possibly with a queue waiting and maybe noticing how disgusting they are, was not going to be a highlight of each day!;)
Since putting up my post this morning I have checked with my physio, who's a former competition cyclist, and he says that EVERYONE you pass who's cycling is sans undies, so I will go with Saramago's excellent suggestion to see how the Hanro undies go as a liner - fingers crossed, and in any event I think it's going to be BYO scrubbing brush!:)
Cheers - Jenny

would be nice to know who deleted my post.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Alex - I'm paranoid about hygiene - in the Australian heat you have to be - and the idea of having to scrub those bike shorts at the albergue sinks, possibly with a queue waiting and maybe noticing how disgusting they are, was not going to be a highlight of each day!;)
Since putting up my post this morning I have checked with my physio, who's a former competition cyclist, and he says that EVERYONE you pass who's cycling is sans undies, so I will go with Saramago's excellent suggestion to see how the Hanro undies go as a liner - fingers crossed, and in any event I think it's going to be BYO scrubbing brush!:)
Cheers - Jenny
Ahhhh yes, those cycling shorts ...... I had forgotten what they can look like after a few weeks in the saddle. You have my Camino-laundering sympathy.:D

I've no comment other than to steer people away from anything bamboo. It takes forever to dry.

I think that depends on the brand, or no-name brand in my case, product. I have both thin bamboo socks and bamboo undies and they dry as fast as my function wear quick dry clothes. Also very nice on the skin. Buen Camino! SY

PS As with a lot of things YOU (general not personal you) need to find out what works for you and a forum or any other person can help you only with their own experience(s) not more, not less.

It would be even nicer to know what it said!

hahaha, it was pretty funny, but apparently borderline crude. With no crude intention at all...of course

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've read many articles on the net on the reasons why undies aren't recommended but I wonder if there is an alternative to going commando?

Sometimes the word "killjoy" comes to mind. However, since I don't know the nature of the deleted post, I will very cautiously reserve judgment.
I just offered a great alternative to going "commando" as JennyH94 asked. All that needed was a bit of fantasy. I won't say anymore, otherwise it will be deleted again :)

I guess if Jenny was a man and i would have said "jockstrap" all would be fine :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure if I understand though, everyone has walked passed me today on Camino forum but can i ask, did I see Jenny of the Southern Isles on a bike wearing Lycra ? How did we get from wool pants to Jenny going commando?

Chris and Jenny
I walk very slow, everyone passes me. Next Camino, I'll take a survey of both walkers and bikers! Hooly Dooly!
Lynda

Hi Chris,
Icebreaker ..... make fabulous wool everything... It's extremely fine merino wool no itch, washes & dries overnight. Under ware extremely comfortable.
It's a New Zealand company , made in China now but still high quality. You can buy online , from Iceabreaker direct or Outdoor Sports in NZ. They post anywhere, check out their websites.
I wouldn't have walked 2 Caminos without it

would be nice to know who deleted my post.
If it was not you then only the moderators have this access. What did you say that might have caused such an action?? Check with Ivar! Cheers

I've no comment other than to steer people away from anything bamboo. It takes forever to dry.
Hola Jill - I wear both the Australian made/sold "bamboo" briefs and also ex-officio and they both take about the same time to dry. I still owe you a hug & a vino - see you Saturday. M

cotton - no way.
synthetic fiber - fine, but may start to develop some odour before end of the day.
100% merino wool - fine, will stay relatively fresh even for several days. expensive.
mixed merino/synthetic (sort of 70/30) - probably optimal choice. Europeans may check out Lidl stores, periodically they offer pretty good quality and inexpensive stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Chris and Jenny
I walk very slow, everyone passes me. Next Camino, I'll take a survey of both walkers and bikers! Hooly Dooly!
Lynda
Hooly Dooly Lynda! Lovely to see you on the Forum! The Forum is my 'other' Camino home!

Note to Forum members: Lynda and I tick-tack frequently on a wonderful, WONDERFUL blog and it's fantastic to see her for the first time here. Lynda is a major contributor on the blog and her posts are always so interesting, insightful and often hilarious!

Lynda - you do that survey, Girl! Go for it! It'll be a great way to get chatting with other pilgrims!

Best wishes to you and Dale -

Jenny x x

I just offered a great alternative to going "commando" as JennyH94 asked. All that needed was a bit of fantasy. I won't say anymore, otherwise it will be deleted again :)

I guess if Jenny was a man and i would have said "jockstrap" all would be fine :)

Hi Dutch - I received the alert on your post so I was able to read the contents - it was a great suggestion and a very resourceful alternative! I think you'd have to go for the plain fabric ones though, if you know what I mean! :)

Cheers!

Not sure if I understand though, everyone has walked passed me today on Camino forum but can i ask, did I see Jenny of the Southern Isles on a bike wearing Lycra ? How did we get from wool pants to Jenny going commando?
Hola dear b - you know how the Forum threads go ... sometimes they unravel! ;)

Ha Ha Ha!! my only feedback is that during my camino I was overwhelmed at times and just hoped that I was taking my own undies off the laundry line in the morning. Next time I will consider looting the laundry line before others get up looking for some of the fancy pants mentioned above! secret is out. .. catch me if you can :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola dear b - you know how the Forum threads go ... sometimes they unravel! ;)
That'l teach you to wear wool pants that unravel then, why not try fig leafs quite authentic for the Camino, won't need to wash em either biodegradable just fit new ones each day!! ;)

How I dearly wish I could find the words to convey the very, very, special miles, and laughter, a friend and I shared as we searched for a mans' underwear shop on Sunday when all but a hidden away "Chinese we have everything" shop was all that was open.
Having walked past countless clothes shops with male type underwear on display that were closed, it was a blessing to finally get some underwear from this now beloved Chinaman:D

I wore uniqlo - airism in my Camino last year and they were perfect; comfortable (airy :) ), light, not expensive and quick drying.

I hated my icebreaker (very expensive) underwear. It was itchy and hot. I donated it to the nuns with the probably mistaken idea that they might need some form of self flagellation. Micro fibre undies worked for me. Comfortable and quick drying.

How I dearly wish I could find the words to convey the very, very, special miles, and laughter, a friend and I shared as we searched for a mans' underwear shop on Sunday when all but a hidden away "Chinese we have everything" shop was all that was open.
Having walked past countless clothes shops with male type underwear on display that were closed, it was a blessing to finally get some underwear from this now beloved Chinaman:D
Those Chinese shops are great. I stopped in Najera on my last Camino. It was a Sunday and everything was closed. There was a great little Chinese store on the other side of the river. I was able to load up on fresh fruit, chocolate, bread, cheese,meat and beer there.

Yeah, there's really no need to buy special clothes for the Camino.
Pilgrims have walked it for centuries with what they had in their chest of drawers.
I totally agree here. I bought plain microfibre ones from Target - they dry quickly, have no bulky seams, don't bunch up and are so comfy....they are the same type of knickers that I wear everyday.

In terms of underwear - nothing special...

Just a couple pair of plain old jockey underwear and preferable well worn just in case I leave them accidentally behind on the line. You can alway buy another pair along the way

And one pair of boxers for night.

Last edited:
One of these recommendations concerns the usual practice of not wearing undies under chamois-padded bike shorts and the use of butt cream. Not wearing undies just isn't right in my book, for the obvious reasons of hygiene etc. I've read many articles on the net on the reasons why undies aren't recommended but I wonder if there is an alternative to going commando? The necessity of washing the butt-cream affected bike shorts each afternoon in probably cold water in albergues is something that I'll do if there's no other choice, but if there is another option, (apart from not going!) I'd love to hear about it.
As someone who is an avid cyclist, I would never do long distance cycling without proper cycling shorts/tights with chamois. And, you have to go commando--serious chafing issues otherwise. It is absolutely necessary that the shorts are removed promptly after you finish your ride and that they are cleaned properly. I've done many a long trip and cleaning is no issue. I just usually throw them in the shower with me.

I totally agree here. I bought plain microfibre ones from Target - they dry quickly, have no bulky seams, don't bunch up and are so comfy....they are the same type of knickers that I wear everyday.
I so wish I could buy new undies from Target, but the company is leaving Canada after having failed to offer us basic stock and supply. Cost them a pretty penny as well.

I saw a few guys wearing kilts. Not sure if it was an issue for them or not...I didn't ask. :rolleyes:

Hee somebody said pants.

Okay that was for the English.

Seriously? Okay lets plan.

Summer or winter? Nobody asked?

If you're really worried I'm sure the sports shops have stuff aimed at both seasons . Look in the running section.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In terms of underwear - nothing special...

Just a couple pair of plain old jockey underwear and preferable well worn just in case I leave them accidentally behind on the line. You can alway buy another pair along the way

And one pair of boxers for night.
I prefer to pack a very light pair of boxer shorts for evenings and sleepwear. Not the underwear variety but ones that I could walk in if I wanted to. I find this more flexible.

The reason I asked about underwear, Dutch, is because I don't want to have to carry around wet underwear the next day because it didn't dry. I wanted information as to which brands are preferred, that dry overnight, so I don't have to pack extra clothes to cater for those which haven't dried in time. Sounds like a reasonable question to me, and one that did not appear on the forum already. And it seems like many people have the same question.

The reason I asked about underwear, Dutch, is because I don't want to have to carry around wet underwear the next day because it didn't dry. I wanted information as to which brands are preferred, that dry overnight, so I don't have to pack extra clothes to cater for those which haven't dried in time. Sounds like a reasonable question to me, and one that did not appear on the forum already. And it seems like many people have the same question.
I'm with you Chris White. I suffered soooo much due to the deep grooves my Tilleys caused me in the groin area, that if I can save another person from this pain I am in! Plus, we had fun. Now, off to order a pair or two of the Eastbay men's undies someone mentioned in a Macabi thread ;0)

Chris, in spite of my wisecrack comment about the kilts, I wore polypropylene boxer briefs, REI brand. I also wore polypropylene tee shirts (REI, Nike, UnderArmor). Polypropylene quickly dries overnight, and having to carry wet clothing from the day before was never an issue.
Jim

Fun thread. I have now learnt that bamboo underwear is not a plant, but some kind of material. When some mention going commando (I suppose it means naked) or applying butt cream(!?), I am out of here... As for drying socks/underwear/whatever, I have a couple of safety pins, and dry my clothes pinned on my pack as I walk. All the problems that keep popping up for a simple walk in Spain... ;)

Fun thread. I have now learnt that bamboo underwear is not a plant, but some kind of material. When some mention going commando (I suppose it means naked) or applying butt cream(!?), I am out of here... As for drying socks/underwear/whatever, I have a couple of safety pins, and dry my clothes pinned on my pack as I walk. All the problems that keep popping up for a simple walk in Spain... ;)
:D 'Going commando' doesn't mean naked. It means going without underwear. One can be fully clothed, but 'going commando.'

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:D 'Going commando' doesn't mean naked. It means going without underwear. One can be fully clothed, but 'going commando.'
Even more scary...;)

I will quote my personal doctor: "NEVER trust a fart..."

Edit: Me being a Norw., I have to keep up with American terms here. Not always easy. Sorry, and bear with me, please.

Last edited:
Like many here, I used ExOfficio last time.
Next time, I think I'd try swimwear. It would dry super-quick--and you could use it for swimming.

Even more scary...;)

I will quote my personal doctor: "NEVER trust a fart..."

Edit: Me being a Norw., I have to keep up with American terms here. Not always easy. Sorry, and bear with me, please.
umm, we used to say that when I worked in Afghanistan
it certainly was true anytime one ate local food.....they used to cook a lot of stuff with a type of butter called "ghee"....could be rough

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is a reasonable question, and as silly as it sounds, if one walks 15-30 km a day for around 30 days or so, underwear comfort can be a big deal.
As far as drying fast, the synthetic performance type underwear and shirts dry extremely fast whether on your body or on a clothes line and they weigh very little.

There I go again...I thought I read: When one wears a kilt, skirt or shorts...without underwear...it's considered "going commando".
As far as the kilt goes, the Black Watch, and other Highland Regiments used to inspect the troops before liberty to insure they were indeed...sans underwear.
I'm sure there are some first rank Highland Regiments; though in the British military only the Royal Marines are designated "Commando" i.e. 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines.
In that, clarified butter is used extensively in South West Asia (PK, AF, BG, IN) it can be very rich and unsettle the stomach. Now, pulling this all together to "clarify" my point of confusion: commando, bamboo, Hand hold Touchy Feely, et al.
Ghee, I finally get it :cool:

umm, we used to say that when I worked in Afghanistan
it certainly was true anytime one ate local food.....they used to cook a lot of stuff with a type of butter called "ghee"....could be rough
No, ghee is glorious: butter without the stuff that makes it burn. May lack a bit of salt for taste, but great cooking tool. ;0)

I suppose the smaller they are the quicker they dry.....so a tiny pair of bikini silk knickers could be justified on practical grounds. I do like the image of nuns in donated woollen underpants. It seems quite medieval.
Kanga, and here I thought you were justifying a trip to Simone Perele or my favourite, Primadona ;0)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back