• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Updated US Embassy COVID Travel to Spain News

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not sure what has specifically changed here. Testing was required to return to the US within 24 hours of travel for several months now. Does anyone know what specifically has changed with this update?

I think that, like me, some folks who have had the full series of vaccines and the booster vaccine were only keeping track of requirements to get to Europe/Spain, and not looking at return requirements for American citizens. I was guilty of assuming that the American public health guidelines, for travel inside the US and from the US into Europe, would be consistent for travel requirements - for Americans - back to the US.

I am not sure what has specifically changed here. Testing was required to return to the US within 24 hours of travel for several months now. Does anyone know what specifically has changed with this update?
I don't see any changes....anyone else?

Very little has changed. I used the Wayback Machine to compare the current version and the previous version. The changes are mainly cosmetic / formatting changes and minor updates, for example the line "Please follow government information" in the context of curfew rules is now deleted, and also deleted is the text "Travellers to Spain are not currently subject to any quarantine requirement unless directed by Spanish authorities upon arrival due to specific circumstances."

All the information about entry requirements for US travellers to Spain are exactly the same as before today's update.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mask mandate on public transit/planes is set to expire April 18 and there is hope amongst the travel people that the mask requirement and the return test will both go away. Nothing will change before that date.
By choice we would continue to wear a mask due to age and health issues. The disease will not go away.

By choice we would continue to wear a mask due to age and health issues. The disease will not go away.
I was one of about 5% of shoppers wearing a mask at Costco today - the last thing that I need is to get Covid five weeks before I leave for the Camino! Plus, I have really been enjoying not having had so much as a cold for the last two years.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We were required to wear masks for 24 hours on our flights from Sydney to Paris and, though a bit uncomfortable, we were happy to do so. We’ve spent the past week in Paris. Masks are still mandatory on public transport which we are very pleased about. And we have been delighted to see that many people still wear masks on the streets, in shops and other places that are not mandated. It’s a small price to pay especially when, unlike some workers, we don’t have to wear them all day. 😷 👍😎

Here in rural France near the Marne river we continue to wear masks in public and in shops. Standing in line to pay a cashier everyone keeps their distance. Whenever a worker such as a plumber comes to the door he is masked.
Better safe than sorry continues to be the idea.

Mask mandate on public transit/planes is set to expire April 18 and there is hope amongst the travel people that the mask requirement and the return test will both go away. Nothing will change before that date.
I know from discussion with air personnel that many of them hope to keep the mandates on International, long-haul flights. With an even more contagious virus, who wants to arrive in a foreign country having been put further at risk because some passenger near you in the plane is contagious. Remember most traveling to spain will not have been tested before departure. I recall a recent post of fully vaccinated-boostered Pilgrims who have caught Omicron. Getting it could not only cause need to isolate, but impair the quality of your pilgrimage.

From my perspective wearing a good quality mask on the planes, trains, buses etc is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't see any changes either. The only thing that was really different from last time I travelled to Spain (but this was MANY months ago) was that antigen test was allowed for return and I had more time to get the PCR test. But as for NEW changes - couldn't figure out what they were. I was HOPING the US would eliminate testing requirement for fully vaccinated and boosted.... but no so luck.

These are same rules that applied to us in Sept when we came back from France.

Not a single person asked to see neg test... ever. Had to hand over attestation, but that was it.

M
The airlines do check before you are allowed to get your boarding pass and board the plane. They certainly did for my last flight home! Did the airline not check for you?

So I'm headed to Spain at the end of April (transiting through Belgium). You just have to assume that you won't know what you need until you are about ready to leave. And, then, be ready to work through a gauntlet of country specific web sites to get the codes, apps, and approvals that you need. But, then, you're there are walking again.

I'm still packing masks, a couple of covid tests, and keeping my vaccine proof in both online, on phone, and paper versions. You just never know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So I'm headed to Spain at the end of April (transiting through Belgium). You just have to assume that you won't know what you need until you are about ready to leave. And, then, be ready to work through a gauntlet of country specific web sites to get the codes, apps, and approvals that you need. But, then, you're there are walking again.

I'm still packing masks, a couple of covid tests, and keeping my vaccine proof in both online, on phone, and paper versions. You just never know.
Absolutely! I do the same. Not only will you not truly know requirements until just before your scheduled departure - as requirements may be updated - but the requirements may change WHILE you are travelling! This was certainly happening while I walked last summer - the rules kept changing - most specifically concerning mask requirements. I would assume at this point, restrictions would probably continue to trend towards loosened restrictions. However, if a more deadly variant should emerge that could change everything. Just be prepared for anything. As stated above - have masks and vaccine records (if you have been vaccinated) on hand, in case they are needed at any point during the trip.

I have a clear plastic passport cover and I keep my vaccine card tucked in the back, between the back of my passport and the plastic cover - facing outward so it can be read through the passport cover. Makes it very easy to access both. And I keep backup photos of both accessible on my phone or via a secured internet document storage site (in case my passport and phone were both to be lost - unlikely, but possible). The only thing I will NOT be carrying is COVID tests. They are compact and lightweight once removed from their boxes - but I just don't want to see any COVID tests while on vacation. My work world has revolved around COVID for 2 years now lol - In fact, right behind me as I sit is a stack of boxes containing hundreds of COVID antigen tests - and I need a break from that reality haha.

I just about had a heart attack! I’m leaving for Spain in a couple days and at first panic I thought I read that Spain was demanding the negative Covid test before I boarded my flight. And then I went back and read that it was the USA and still the same requirements. Whew!
Stephan: We'll (@Oxford Alice, my daughter and I) see you in Roncesvalles! Cheers and safe travels.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely! I do the same. Not only will you not truly know requirements until just before your scheduled departure - as requirements may be updated - but the requirements may change WHILE you are travelling! This was certainly happening while I walked last summer - the rules kept changing - most specifically concerning mask requirements. I would assume at this point, restrictions would probably continue to trend towards loosened restrictions. However, if a more deadly variant should emerge that could change everything. Just be prepared for anything. As stated above - have masks and vaccine records (if you have been vaccinated) on hand, in case they are needed at any point during the trip.

I have a clear plastic passport cover and I keep my vaccine card tucked in the back, between the back of my passport and the plastic cover - facing outward so it can be read through the passport cover. Makes it very easy to access both. And I keep backup photos of both accessible on my phone or via a secured internet document storage site (in case my passport and phone were both to be lost - unlikely, but possible). The only thing I will NOT be carrying is COVID tests. They are compact and lightweight once removed from their boxes - but I just don't want to see any COVID tests while on vacation. My work world has revolved around COVID for 2 years now lol - In fact, right behind me as I sit is a stack of boxes containing hundreds of COVID antigen tests - and I need a break from that reality haha.
For those of us who flew from overseas and walked a camino this passed year(2021),it was no big deal if you knew the rules, kept current as you traveled,
and kept in touch with this website. This time, I would also suggest signing up with the Embassy of your home country. Stay tuned, be flexible, and backup your data.

For those of us who flew from overseas and walked a camino this passed year(2021),it was no big deal if you knew the rules, kept current as you traveled,
and kept in touch with this website. This time, I would also suggest signing up with the Embassy of your home country. Stay tuned, be flexible, and backup your data.
Absolutely! And 1 more thing to add... the people working in the albergues were great at keeping us posted with changes that affected the local area. I loved my COVID Camino which is why I am doing it again! Again - I am assuming (or maybe simply hoping) that restrictions continue to be eased - but if you stay prepared and keep up with changing requirements you will be fine!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I arrived from the United States today March 31, 2022 To Madrid.

Before I boarded the plane they wanted to see my vaccination card and my SPTH app QR code. When I landed in Madrid. they only asked me for the SPTH app QR code.

I’ll be in Spain for several months altogether, and hopefully they will change the rules and by the time I return I won’t have to get a negative Covid test before my flight back to the United States.

The FDA announced today that those over 50 can receive a second booster 4 months after the first booster. It's perfect timing for me, as I'll be eligible 2 weeks before I travel.
I got my 4th on March 24 by self certifying that I was eligible. The pharmacist gave me a bit of a hard time but then just a couple days later they opened it up anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That would be wonderful. I’m not absolutely sure exactly which day I’ll arrive to Roncevalles.Probably the evening of the 6th. I get the feeling you’re leaving the on the sixth from your dates? Buen Camino!
Stephan: Yes, you are correct. We have a narrow weather window (Here's the Roncesvalles forecast) leaving SSJP on May 5, and then plan to leave Roncesvalles early on the 6th before the weather rolls back into the area by mid-day. Hopefully we'll be to Zubiri by then. Hope to meet you somewhere sometime. Buen Camino.

Roncesvalles WX forecast.jpg

Last edited:
Stephan: Yes, you are correct. We have a narrow weather window (Here's the Roncesvalles forecast) leaving SSJP on May 5, and then plan to leave Roncesvalles earlier on the 6th before the weather rolls back into the area by mid-day. Hopefully we'll be to Zuribi by then. Hope to meet you somewhere sometime. Buen Camino.
Do you mean April 5th?

Stephan: Yes, you are correct. We have a narrow weather window (Here's the Roncesvalles forecast) leaving SSJP on May 5, and then plan to leave Roncesvalles early on the 6th before the weather rolls back into the area by mid-day. Hopefully we'll be to Zubiri by then. Hope to meet you somewhere sometime. Buen
I know you mean April 6.….
Thanks for the heads up about the weather. I actually hadn’t even checked. Maybe I’ll just start from Pamplona. It looks a little warmer at least. This is my first Camino, and I had my heart set on starting from SJPP And the Napoleon. But of course it’s too early in the year.I was thinking about going back at some point during the Camino and walking those few days. And I definitely didn’t get in good enough shape. I don’t ont want to start with that big climb.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the heads up about the weather. I actually hadn’t even checked. Maybe I’ll just start from Pamplona. It looks a little warmer at least. This is my first Camino, and I had my heart set on starting from SJPP And the Napoleon. But of course it’s too early in the year.I was thinking about going back at some point during the Camino and walking those few days. And I definitely didn’t get in good enough shape. I don’t ont want to start with that big climb.
Yes... April it is. I have tons of issues on my mind as I scramble to leave on Sunday. We hope to do the UP and OVER Napoleon route next Tuesday. We want to recreate the "Money Shot" from 2013 in Pyrenees. CheersDSC00704 contest.jpg

The US Embassy in Spain updated travel from the USA to Spain and COVID requirements.
Buen Camino.
I just returned from Italy and it was very easy to get a covid test at a pharmacy in Salerno (and probably most places) the day before. No appointment, cost 15 Euros, took about 30 minutes. Just ask for one, there may not be a sign in the window but every pharmacy I asked did them
A suggestion: take a covid test pack with you and test yourself the morning before your "official test". Should it be positive, at least you would not receive your results standing in a pharmacy or on the street, and you'll have more time to adjust to the news. Perhaps test yourself in the last place in Spain where you'd like to quarantine, too. If you are sick at least you can be in a nice place, perhaps with access to the outdoors, and you'd have time to change your flights, etc
Also a suggestion about masking for long periods of time, like on a flight: take several masks and change them often. A dry mask is more comfortable than a wet one, and the wet one can dry and be ready to wear again in a few hours.
In Italy, at least, and maybe elsewhere in Europe, an N95 (or the European equivalent) is required, and I saw people who were wearing surgical masks being asked to put on an N95. Not a cloth mask in sight...they take the virus seriously

Humor and flexibility once again saved day. Decompressing in a Madrid hotel getting ready to fly out tomorrow, I decided to spring for the concierge antigen test at the hotel. No problem, negative, so the tester left and said I’d get the QR code and attestation by email. Mid-afternoon, no email, so I had them send it to the hotel for print out. Went smoothly until I thought to actually open and read the QR code. It was not mine. So some unlucky guy who doesn’t check his will get to the airport tomorrow and his upload will bounce. I’ll recognize him doing the OJ sprint around Barajas to sort it out.
Moral of the story, don’t relax & hit the vino tinto until the QR loads.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not had a cold either for three years since I had a "doozy" on my last Camino Portuguese in April 2019. I continue to wear a mask in most places, too.
Me too, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. There's a lot of mask haters on Kauai who love to call any of us who have been vaccinated or wear a mask Sheep, Sheeple, or that we bow to the Over Lords 🤣. I'm fine looking like a masked train-robbing sheep..as Ive managed to stay healthy enough to get to do this lovely walk and see my grandkids!

But obviously we can still get covid. Hence the testing?

Perhaps. But it is the inconsistent requirement for testing that was the surprising factor. Having retired from working in public health dealing with infectious disease protocols, reporting, and epidemiology, the overall US travel policy surrounding COVID is a puzzle.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The US Embassy in Spain updated travel from the USA to Spain and COVID requirements.
Buen Camino.
I understand this, but how do I find a location to get a COVD test 24 hours before return to USA? I'll be in Santiago 24 hours before but then in Madrid. I'm an inexperienced traveler and everything is new to me; adding COVID rules is worrisome, returning June 5

I'd like to better understand the consequences in the event of testing positive for COVID prior to boarding a return flight to the US as a US citizen. As I read the current CDC guidance at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ssment/us-citizen-national-lpr-immigrant.html , it sounds like you would not be able to travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started (or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms) and you would also need a signed letter from a healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. So basically, if you are asymptomatic and you test positive, you'll need to remain in Spain for a minimum of 10 days and get a signed letter before flying back. Is that right? This is hypothetical for me -- just trying to understand the parameters in advance.

Hi Everyone...Anybody have any idea what I will need to fly from Santiago to Paris, then from Paris to the US the following day? Will I need to get two Covid Tests?...one in Santiago and one in the next day? Thanks for any information you can provide,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps. But it is the inconsistent requirement for testing that was the surprising factor. Having retired from working in public health dealing with infectious disease protocols, reporting, and epidemiology, the overall US travel policy surrounding COVID is a puzzle.

I think that the US Covid travel policy has been pretty consistent for over a year - all airline passengers to the US must be tested, except those recently recovered who can travel with documentation of recovery from a health care provider. This policy has been in place for over a year now.

I'd like to better understand the consequences in the event of testing positive for COVID prior to boarding a return flight to the US as a US citizen. As I read the current CDC guidance at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ssment/us-citizen-national-lpr-immigrant.html , it sounds like you would not be able to travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started (or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms) and you would also need a signed letter from a healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. So basically, if you are asymptomatic and you test positive, you'll need to remain in Spain for a minimum of 10 days and get a signed letter before flying back. Is that right? This is hypothetical for me -- just trying to understand the parameters in advance.
Yes - if you test positive, you will not be permitted to board the plane to the US. You will be required to isolate in Spain.

We have had the testing reserve twice returning to
U S . Not once did one ask to see it upon re-entry. We are in Poland/Ukraine right now we'll see what happens upon returning back to the U S.

We have had the testing reserve twice returning to
U S . Not once did one ask to see it upon re-entry. We are in Poland/Ukraine right now we'll see what happens upon returning back to the U S.
They don't usually ask to see it upon re-entry to the US (at least not at the lines for US citizens but not sure about other passports) - they do require airlines to check before you are allowed to get on the plane. My airline wouldn't give boarding passes to anyone who didn't have their COVID test. Those who were transferring planes to an international flight had to stop at the airline desk at the gate to show their COVID test.

Does anyone know places to get tested in Madrid prior to returning to another country requiring it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone know places to get tested in Madrid prior to returning to another country requiring it?
I don't remember exactly where I went - but when I was in Madrid I just did a google search and looked for Rapid PCR testing sites and was able to find the one closes to my hotel. At the time - they had to be PCR tests. I registered online - and I chose to walk to the clinic - and had a printout with my registration info and just handed it to them. It was super easy. I could have taken a bus - but after walking SJPDP to Finisterre and Muxia - I was still in the walking mood haha. There IS COVID testing at the airport in Madrid - but I didn't want to wait until the last minute.

Reactions: RJM
Terminal T4 has a clinic.
Also, concierge test where they come to your hotel is 75E, not bad for the time saving and possible taxi cost to go to a clinic.
$75 euro?!
Good Lord, that's more then I've spent on airplane tickets to Madrid. lol

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
$75 euro?!
Good Lord, that's more then I've spent on airplane tickets to Madrid. lol
I had to pay much more than that when Rapid PCR test were required! Now that antigen tests are also accepted - it is easier to get a less expensive test. But unlike the US - a lot of the world has to pay for their COVID tests. In the US, we only have to pay for a home tests (but I get them free from work) and rapid tests PCR (as well as antibody tests - but those aren't accepted for travel).

Pamplona is a great place to start your Camino Frances. I started there on my last Frances due to time constraints. Sure, walking through the Pyrenees from France is really cool and beautiful but if the weather sucks, the weather sucks.

They don't usually ask to see it upon re-entry to the US (at least not at the lines for US citizens but not sure about other passports) - they do require airlines to check before you are allowed to get on the plane. My airline wouldn't give boarding passes to anyone who didn't have their COVID test. Those who were transferring planes to an international flight had to stop at the airline desk at the gate to show their COVID test.
Exactly. You aren't allowed on the plane without the negative test (or documented proof of recovery). There's no need to make people wait in line to check again.

So actually what happens if you test positive and you can’t board your plane? You have to isolate in Spain, OK. For 10 days? And I assume once you show a negative Covid test after your isolation. They’ll let you back on a plane .

But what happens then? Does the airline still I have an obligation to get you home? Or are you just screwed and have to buy another ticket?

Boy, I hope this requirement is eliminated before July when I’m going home.

I think that the US Covid travel policy has been pretty consistent for over a year - all airline passengers to the US must be tested, except those recently recovered who can travel with documentation of recovery from a health care provider. This policy has been in place for over a year now.

I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to only the travel back and forth to Europe, but to all travel in all forms, both internationally and domestically. For instance, when Jill and I walked from Laredo, Tx to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, and then back, there was no testing asked for, just the immunization cards going into Mexico.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So actually what happens if you test positive and you can’t board your plane? You have to isolate in Spain, OK. For 10 days? And I assume once you show a negative Covid test after your isolation. They’ll let you back on a plane .

But what happens then? Does the airline still I have an obligation to get you home? Or are you just screwed and have to buy another ticket?

Boy, I hope this requirement is eliminated before July when I’m going home.
Yes, it is all rather discouraging at times. Something that was so simple to do, is now a complicated mess filled with possible delays and extra costs etc. My emotions over the whole wretched covid mess vary from disgust and anger to sadness and doubt.

If you do test positive and you have trip insurance this may cover your treatment and quarantine.
Definitely get insurance that will cover covid quarantine, and check your airline's policy on changing dates. Many are still waiving change fees, though you may have to pay the difference if the fare has increased.

Also, if you test positive in Galicia you should qualify for the region's free Covid insurance, which covers medical care and quarantine.

Well, it doesn’t sound like any of you actually know the answer to my question.

A Search on the Internet Only revealed one article that seemed a bit outdated. United said fully refundable, and American and Delta said they would work with you.

It just seemed to me that since the United States government is the one issuing this requirement, There should be some sort of policy in place.

Question wasn’t for me personally, I’m flying with United points, and those tickets are fully refundable anyway. The worst that happens is I have to pay a small fee if it’s really close. So I’m good. I’m laying on my bed in Cadiz, Spain right now, and I haven’t even booked my flight home yet.

I do have trip insurance that covers that and much more than I usually get because of the situation in the Ukraine, actually. I paid an extra hundred dollars to be evacuated in case of pretty much any emergency. Lloyds of London (World Atlas) were the only people that would offer that kind of insurance.

. Frankly if you are positive, I prefer you not be on my plane.
I’m pretty sure you’re talking about everybody. Or is there a whole group of people that want to catch Covid?

I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to only the travel back and forth to Europe, but to all travel in all forms, both internationally and domestically. For instance, when Jill and I walked from Laredo, Tx to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, and then back, there was no testing asked for, just the immunization cards going into Mexico.
That makes sense because different countries all have different requirements. Going TO Mexico would be different from coming from Mexico into the US. That said... the US Mexican border treats pedestrians differently from those who are in their cars, and cars are sometimes treated differently than those traveling via plane. Doesn't make sense - but they do know that people do walking day trips across the border all the time. The US border patrol tends to be more flexible with pedestrians. At least - near me they are! If you were in a plane - the airline would have checked COVID test status. In a car - well - I will have to ask one of the local border patrol agents if they are checking anyone's COVID test status for travel by car (I live a half hour away from Mexico and we have lots of border patrol living in my neighborhood). But again - pedestrians are often walking across the border for a few hours and back - and they tend to be more loose in those circumstances. But you can't walk or drive from Europe - so just plan on having the airline check your COVID test status!

I was one of about 5% of shoppers wearing a mask at Costco today - the last thing that I need is to get Covid five weeks before I leave for the Camino! Plus, I have really been enjoying not having had so much as a cold for the last two years.
By the way, you should be pleased to know that in every public Spanish space that I was in there was 100% masking. And a significant amount of people just walking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back