Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Urgent care clinic in Santiago?

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
After walking 2.5 weeks on the Camino Frances, my normal mild to moderate eczema has become severe in some areas, including increased swelling in one hand. I am currently in Villamaior and plan to take a taxi in the morning to Santiago to get medical help. Does anyone know of a urgent care type of clinic that I can go to without a prior appointment? Thank you so much in advance.

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
You can also go here:
Hospital HM Rosaleda
+34 981 57 77 17

They are a private hospital, have an emergency room entrance down the side… less crowded than the public hospital. An emergency room visit with no insurance is usually less that €50 and they will write the prescription you need.

They should also have English speakers.. if that is an issue.
Good luck!

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
You can also go here:
Hospital HM Rosaleda
+34 981 57 77 17

They are a private hospital, have an emergency room entrance down the side… less crowded than the public hospital. An emergency room visit with no insurance is usually less that €50 and they will write the prescription you need.

Good luck!
Thanks so much, very helpful. Sounds ideal.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You can also go here:
Hospital HM Rosaleda
+34 981 57 77 17

Good luck!
I would recommend HM Rosaleda over the public hospital. I have been to both. At the private hospital you have the option of paying immediately with credit card, but the public hospital didn't have a way to accept payment at time of service (at least not in 2018). I had to wait to receive a bill from them after I returned home, and they would only accept payment via wire transfer from my bank, which added further expense.
It was also nice to have an English speaking liason person, rather than relying on my poor Spanish.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
ohh...yes, eczema is something that I struggle with as well. Just as you know, you can get a 1% cream at any pharmacy with no prescription. Stronger than that, I think you would need a prescription.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
Having suffered from eczema, I truly hope that you manage to get it under control. Isn't the forum great for help, when needed?
Thanks for your support. This forum is very valuable and I have always had the policy of making a donation for each Camino I have walked. This is my fifth Camino, and I actually tried to make a donation on my phone but it didn’t work so I will do it when I return home to Mexico.

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
I would recommend HM Rosaleda over the public hospital. I have been to both. At the private hospital you have the option of paying immediately with credit card, but the public hospital didn't have a way to accept payment at time of service (at least not in 2018). I had to wait to receive a bill from them after I returned home, and they would only accept payment via wire transfer from my bank, which added further expense.
It was also nice to have an English speaking liason person, rather than relying on my poor Spanish.
Thank you, I have a taxi scheduled for 9 AM in the morning to go direct to Hospital Rosaleda.

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
Thanks Ivar, I have a good steroid cream with me but we are beyond that at this point. Based on prior experience, I will likely need prednisone if I am going to get through the next six weeks of three different Caminos I am walking with my brother. All the best to you.

ohh...yes, eczema is something that I struggle with as well. Just as you know, you can get a 1% cream at any pharmacy with no prescription. Stronger than that, I think you would need a prescription.

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
I thought I would let you all know about my experience at Hospital HM Rosaleda today. When I arrived, the receptionist explained that they cost to see a doctor would be €75, which was fine with me. But then somehow they decided to switch me to the International department and the representative said that it would cost a minimum of €250 to be treated in the emergency room. And that it could be more than that. That sounded pretty steep to me so I decided to try getting prednisone over-the-counter at a pharmacy. I was able to do that and since this is the medication that got me through my last serious eczema flare, I feel confident that it will do the trick. Thank you all again for your suggestions and help.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I would let you all know about my experience at Hospital HM Rosaleda today. When I arrived, the receptionist explained that they cost to see a doctor would be €75, which was fine with me. But then somehow they decided to switch me to the International department and the representative said that it would cost a minimum of €250 to be treated in the emergency room. And that it could be more than that. That sounded pretty steep to me so I decided to try getting prednisone over-the-counter at a pharmacy. I was able to do that and since this is the medication that got me through my last serious eczema flare, I feel confident that it will do the trick. Thank you all again for your suggestions and help.
Ohh.. yes that was a bit more than I thought. Good that it seems it sorted itself at least. :)

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I'm glad that you found a low cost solution.
For me, the higher cost was fine because my insurance reimbursed me.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
As a side note if you do have to seek the emergency help hopefully you can file with your travel medical insurance and get some if not all this cost back . I usually get travel insurance which acts as primary payer and usually they will pay direct to the hospital /doctor …good luck hope you feel better
Buen Camino

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
The options for medical travel insurance for residents of Mexico over the age of 70, such as myself, are pretty poor. I always get MedJet insurance that will fly me back to a Mexico hospital for any reason if I am hospitalized but I pay for smaller items out of pocket.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
The options for medical travel insurance for residents of Mexico over the age of 70, such as myself, are pretty poor. I always get MedJet insurance that will fly me back to a Mexico hospital for any reason if I am hospitalized but I pay for smaller items out of pocket.
Try to do a search on here I know recently @peregrina2000 did a recent thread for insurance on squaremouth.com And she found a good annual policy. If I find the thread i will add it here

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Past OR future Camino
Try to do a search on here I know recently @peregrina2000 did a recent thread for insurance on squaremouth.com And she found a good annual policy. If I find the thread i will add it here
Yes I am familiar with squaremouth but most of the policies they list require US residency which I don’t have. But thank you for the suggestion.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Yes I am familiar with squaremouth but most of the policies they list require US residency which I don’t have. But thank you for the suggestion.
That’s a shame but if you read thru the thread you might get some other options. Some other members offered some good suggestions. Not sure if it applies to Mexican citizens but worth a try ..good luck hope you feel better

Past OR future Camino
After walking 2.5 weeks on the Camino Frances, my normal mild to moderate eczema has become severe in some areas, including increased swelling in one hand. I am currently in Villamaior and plan to take a taxi in the morning to Santiago to get medical help. Does anyone know of a urgent care type of clinic that I can go to without a prior appointment? Thank you so much in advance.
I just love this group! Immediate help. All the best as you get treatment.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads