• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Used equipment in SJPP

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting question, but I trully doubt there is anyone enterprising enough to collect stuff left behind and bring it back to the place where everyone starts with more than they need to begin with. The stuff left behind is rarely handy: sleeping bags, foam mats, cooking equipment, socks, sweaters. I am trying to envision the stuff I have seen that was left behind and it is normally bulky/heavy items that weren't being used.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sometimes there is good stuff left behind, most recently a serviceable bike (already found a good home) and I often think that sorting through these things and bringing the GOOD stuff back up the Camino to some donativo places that redistributes them might be a worthwhile project.

Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sybille an excellent idea for a project, but don't you think the distribution point would be better in some place like Pamplona or Burgos? There is a company in the US called ETBH that auctions items from houses that are for sale. It is an interesting concept. This thing could be turned into a donation and recycling center for used gear all along the Camino allowing pilgrims to begin their trek with the minimum of gear and then drop it off at the end of their pilgrimage and help the next pilgrim gear up. The money involved goes to a worthy cause like benches and shade trees where they are needed.

I'm always on budget.
And I don't have a lot of second thoughts when it come to this what follows..
Two pairs of "new" tech socks this year, three tech T-shirts in 2016, one super-dooper modern towel in 2015, pair of walking sticks (with suspension) in 2014. Not to mention books. I can't complain.
Weren't forgotten but left in donativo boxes!
Thank you unknown pilgrims :)

Last edited:
In some albergues there is a bin with a sign saying "Deja lo que no uses, toma lo que necesites" (roughly, "leave what you do not use anymore, take what you need".)
I suppose a more organized system would imply carrying stuff from Compostela back to Pamplona. But I also suppose that pilgrim are expected to contribute to local economy...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@biarritzdon Great idea. Perhaps best to start with a branded collection system, the way many charities collect such items here in the US, using the giant mailbox-looking containers as drop points.

Or, perhaps, partner with an existing charity organization in Spain, one that already has in place a motivated volunteer network, physical locations, and existing distribution channels. (Like St. Vincent's in the US.) No need to reinvent the wheel. This lets the focus be on Camino-specific clothing/equipment, and gets the idea into action much faster. The charity would benefit from the increased exposure and the new revenue stream.

What would be especially nice is if the clothing and equipment were sorted and assembled into fully-loaded backpacks and reserved for charitable groups or organizations that bring, say, members of their communities who could not otherwise dream of taking on the expense of the Camino.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." - Mark Twain

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back