• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using iPhone 3 for texting and email

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Has anyone successfully used their LOCKED iPhone 3 for texting and/or email retrieval in Spain?
Is it possible to use it in wi-fi areas?

Would an iPad work?

The new Kindle Fire?

Would there be fees?

I have unlimited data plan in the USA, but not sure if it will work on the Camino.
I'm trying to find an affordable way to check email regularly, and transfer funds, etc., while on the Camino. I don't want to use internet cafes because of the security issue.

Ideas?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don´t know about IPhones but I am taking my unlocked Nokia. I will get a simcard for Spain -
http://freesim.orange.co.uk/

and use pay as you go - service (is it called so?)

http://www.cloncom.com/wir_index.jsp?di ... d_from=421

You should be able to use wifi even if your phone is locked (make sure you are using the wifi) and wifi is everywhere nowadays.

I hope I get it right - this is too complicated for me sometimes.

I might take my Kindle (read books, newspapers etc)

Hi,
I have a locked iphone4 and I used it regularly in spain to check mails etc
in WIFI areas of which there are many.
I also used an APP called VIBER which allows free calls and texts when you are connected to a wifi
zone, again of which there are many.
I did not have to male a single cellular call or text in over 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
and you can use Skype which I intend to do.

I have been looking into this. My plan is to keep my iPhone on airplane mode and turn wifi on when needed for email. No texting and no talking on the phone, but absolutely no additional charges! I have also installed an app called WeTalk which allows one to make calls very inexpensively over wifi. I will give that a try and see how it goes. You don't have to use airplane mode if you just go to settings and turn off data roaming, but you would then have to deal with the charges associated with making and receiving phone calls and texts. It's just easier for me to email and call over wifi and let it go at that.
Cathy

Oh yes...I have the Kindle app installed on my iPhone. No need for a Kindle if you are okay with the small screen size. I'm good with reading on the iPhone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My T-Mobile data card did not work in Spain in my iPhone 3. The Vodafone SIM chip worked fine for voice, and the WiFi worked fine. I have a Vodafone data chip for next month and plan to have it work!

I don't know about the Camino, but I used my iPhone in Italy and I had a very unhappy surprise when I got home and got my bill.

I was in Italy on work and I had to check and revise contracts quite a bit while I was there. What I found was that downloading 3 page contracts to my iPhone cost me somewhere around $40 each. For my two weeks in Italy between minimally using the phone (I think I made somewhere around eight 15min phone calls and one 40 minute call), plus checking my emails, using apps, and downloading contracts I got a bill for over $1500. Your best bet would be to use the WiFi next works with your own system i.e., iPhone, iPad, computer. This was in 2007, and the plans have changed quite a bit, but be aware how much a KB is and how many of them that you are using for the most basic things.

For trips now I have a international phone, and I purchase a new sim card for the country I'm in. I then leave the new phone number as a message on my old phone. Also, I set up a new email for my trips, so that I'm not getting a bunch of spam to the new phone.

I travel quite a bit for work, so these new emails are great for giving out to the people that I meet on each trip. This way I have a better idea of where I met them, and at the end of the trip I just have that email forwarded to my main email address.

The very easiest thing to do with your Locked iPhone is to take out your U.S. SIM card. That way you can incur no fees for 1. roaming 2. phone calls 3. data use. You can incur roaming charges by simply turning on your phone in some cases in Europe.
You can still use the WiFi with the SIM card removed.

If it is unlocked...simply buy a prepaid Spanish SIM and put it in and use it normally.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
I have an Iphone 3GS and I use an App that is called WhatsApp Messenger. I find that it is good for texting and sending pics. It can be bought 69pence from the ITunes store. The only drawback is that it can only be used to send and receive from people who have this App either on their IPhone or Android.
Sounds confusing but simple to use and it says that once you pay the original 69 p, it is free to text and send messages (albiet) to other App holders. :? Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
George

Geo2w said:
Hi all,
I have an Iphone 3GS and I use an App that is called WhatsApp Messenger. I find that it is good for texting and sending pics. It can be bought 69pence from the ITunes store. The only drawback is that it can only be used to send and receive from people who have this App either on their IPhone or Android.
Sounds confusing but simple to use and it says that once you pay the original 69 p, it is free to text and send messages (albiet) to other App holders. :? Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
George

However...if it uses the cellular network to send the messages it will cost you dearly. If you find WiFi and are sure you are using WiFi you would be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.