Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Using IPod Touch along the Camino

docr

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,
Starting our Pilgrimage in Mid-May. Being in my mid 60's, I'm not very familiar with the IPod Touch my kids got me for Christmas. What is entailed beforehand, please, in using it for e-mailing, while in France/Spain?
I'm coming from the US.
Thanks much,
Denny

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

NaKwendaSafari

Hi Denny,
As a 70+ year old I suggest you look at http://www.ehow.com/how_2209407_check-e ... touch.html and its associated howtos on the side bar. You should have many test runs at home before you rely on this single very versatile device for communication. I am using this jack of all trades gadget for multiple things, such as a camera, maps, memo, alarm clock, showing family photos, Facebook, etc., also on Skype as a free international phone, and not only for music, you will learn as you go along.

The main difficulty is logging on into hotspots in unfamilar places. There are many many but some are difficult or tempermental to log on, try it out at the big Macs and Starbucks or at airports (usually OK) after seeting up your free accounts. Learn to tweak it, you can get all the tricks from your kids.

Enjoy

Grandpa Joe

docr

NaKwendaSafari said:
Hi Denny,
As a 70+ year old I suggest you look at http://www.ehow.com/how_2209407_check-e ... touch.html and its associated howtos on the side bar. You should have many test runs at home before you rely on this single very versatile device for communication. I am using this jack of all trades gadget for multiple things, such as a camera, maps, memo, alarm clock, showing family photos, Facebook, etc., also on Skype as a free international phone, and not only for music, you will learn as you go along.

The main difficulty is logging on into hotspots in unfamilar places. There are many many but some are difficult or tempermental to log on, try it out at the big Macs and Starbucks or at airports (usually OK) after seeting up your free accounts. Learn to tweak it, you can get all the tricks from your kids.

Enjoy
Grandpa Joe
Thanks Joe....I really appreciate your help and suggested site.
Denny

Dael

Dael
Year of past OR future Camino
2002-2004-2006-2008-2011-2015
Cycled from Scotland,walked Francias, walked V.D.L.P, winter on Francais, stroll on Englaise
Hi, The main problem with the Ipod touch/phone is lack of battery life. I am setting off in a couple of days on a long cycle journey during which I will be camping = no evening charge point.
I have bought a solar power charging device "Power Monkey Explorer" which has worked well in testing.
Its small, waterproof and the panel can be attached to a rucksack or pannier during the 'working' day.
The Iphone/touch website gives tips on power saving.
Enjoy
Dael

D

Deleted member 3000

My brother, still on the Camino, has a WiFi device. He has found a lot of hot spots even in small villages (we would wander around looking for a signal!), but almost all were password locked. He was able to connect only in the larger cities.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Many cafes/bars have locked wifi... but if you are a paying customer (buy a cup of tea), if you ask for the password (Clave del wifi por favor?) they will give it to you...

Look for the Wifi sign in the window.

Saludos,
Ivar

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg