• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Valcarlos route! Days 1 & 2

kellok

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Summer 2022)
Buen camino a todos!

I just wanted to hop on and remind any distraught travellers who cannot make the 25 km climb to Roncesvalles and also cannot find reservations in Orisson/Hunto/Borda that the Valcarlos route exists!

The Pilgrims office was suggesting to us that we power straight through to Roncesvalles until I specifically asked about it. I called ahead and Carlos (the albergue lead) said no problem—my friend and I ended up being 2 of 4 pilgrims there that day. Hot water, good water pressure, free washing machine, and a restaurant and small store in town resulted in a wonderful stay.

I am not sure why the Pilgrims office in St. JPP does not recommend it…there are definitely some rough hills at the end and about 30% of the walking is along the road which could detract from the experience. I know the views are probably not as good as the napoleónico/Leopoldo but for pilgrims who don’t want to or cannot plan months in advance to reserve at Borda or Orisson this is a good option. There is still a great view at col/church at Ibañeta!

Carlos is a great host at a great facility! I highly recommend! Anyone have thoughts as to why Valcarlos isn’t recommended in the summer?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just wanted to hop on and remind any distraught travellers who cannot make the 25 km climb to Roncesvalles and also cannot find reservations in Orisson/Hunto/Borda that the Valcarlos route exists!
I stayed at the municipal albergue in Valcarlos mid-September of 2019,
because I had done Refuge Orrisson on the Napoleon route the previous year, and wanted to see something new. I loved the rural walk to Valcarlos, and loved the albergue. I was the only walker staying overnight, and was alone there until 6:00 PM, when a Spanish couple arrived on bikes. We were the only 3. Yes, from there to Ibaneta there was a lot of road walking, and the views were not as spectacular, but I never felt unsafe on the road.

The Valcarlos albergue was a great stop when I did it a few years ago. I didn't mind the road walking as there was enough off road or views to make it interesting. The second day I had heavy rain which was why I changed my original plans to walk Napoleonin one go, and couldn't see too far in that weather but meant the woods were a lovely backdrop. I also reached Roncesvalles early to explore and then carried on, which got me out of bubble of pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I have never walked the Valcarlos route, I have for several years heard of its many, usually season oriented benefits, extolled here on the forum and on other sites.
But so far, the magnificence of the Napoleon route has ensured that for me no variant is worthy of consideration.
Here's a toast to all who think, or are forced to act otherwise.
Regards Gerard

Last edited:
I walked the Frances starting from St Jean in May 2017. I had planned to walk the Napoleon but the weather was totally unsuitable. So I switched to the Valcarlos. It was an easy day 1 - early lunch at the Franco/Espano border truck stop and arrived at the municipal around 1.00 pm. Day 2 with the wind and rain was a tough climb but I arrived at Roncesvalles just after 1.00 pm. Not wishing to wait two or three hours before being admitted I pushed on to Espinal. Buen Camino.

Buen camino a todos!

The Pilgrims office was suggesting to us that we power straight through to Roncesvalles until I specifically asked about it. I called ahead and Carlos (the albergue lead) said no problem—my friend and I ended up being 2 of 4 pilgrims there that day. Hot water, good water pressure, free washing machine, and a restaurant and small store in town resulted in a wonderful stay.

I am not sure why the Pilgrims office in St. JPP does not recommend it…there are definitely some rough hills at the end and about 30% of the walking is along the road which could detract from the experience. I know the views are probably not as good as the napoleónico/Leopoldo but for pilgrims who don’t want to or cannot plan months in advance to reserve at Borda or Orisson this is a good option. There is still a great view at col/church at Ibañeta!

Carlos is a great host at a great facility! I highly recommend! Anyone have thoughts as to why Valcarlos isn’t recommended in the summer?
Did the Valcarlos last June. The road walking was not as bad or as long as I anticipated. The second day climb is steep but wonderful through an enchanted forest. Some rain and quite farm roads. On 06/23 when I walked the Valcarlos, the napoleon route was completely fogged in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.