• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP in October - Too cold?

Renato Torres

Renato Torres
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May, 2015) - Camino del Norte (Oct, 2016)
Hi !
I have scheduled to start VLDP in october. Does anybody have an idea about the weather and opened albergues?

Thanks in advance.

Renato Torres

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started with several friends the first week of September. The general theme was that it started hot and got progressively cooler and wetter as we moved north (and it got later in the season).

The one thing I can tell you for sure, is that you will want some gloves and something to keep your ears warm in the morning. I bought some cheap gloves and a knit hat in Mombuey, on October 2 (I think). I felt lucky to find a shop with a bit of selection, but if I had brought some originally, they would have been higher quality and less bulky.

We were never cold in albergues (or small inns / hostels) and arrived in SdC on October 16.

Thank you Latecomer.
I'm planning to bring gloves and hat also.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends on the year because I walked from Salamanca to SdC late October arriving in SdC on November 3 and I had lovely weather all the way wearing 3/4 leggings and a t-shirt. It didn't rain until the day after I arrived.

Hi Renato Torres! Welcome to the forum!

It isn't possible to know how'll be the weather this year. Another point to have in mind is that October is a variable month so you may be having hot days and one day start in the blink of an eye the cold or you may have a few cold days and returning later the heat for some days or... As an average, maximum temperatures in Zamora (city) would be something like 18-19ºC and minimum temperatures something like 8-9ºC. But, of course, specific days could be hotter or colder (so give or take 3ºC from the averages I quoted to get a better picture of what you may find) and the year may be a not average year (i.e.: either a hot one or a cold one). Generally speaking anywhere Southern than Plasencia should be several degrees hotter than Zamora being Sevilla several degrees hotter than Cáceres and Cáceres several degrees hotter than Zamora. On the other hand, if you continue on the Sanabrés, the area of Sanabria is likely to be several degrees colder than Zamora. In Sanabria, on a cold day, you may/might find temperatures below 0ºC (or close to it).

What it's almost guaranteed is that you'll find some rain along the route.

Thanks LTfit and Castilian.
My guess is that I´ll have higher temperatures at the beginning of the VDLP way and during the way the temperatures will be lower.
So I have to carry clothes for high and low temperatures (and some rain :) )...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi !
I have scheduled to start VLDP in october. Does anybody have an idea about the weather and opened albergues?

Thanks in advance.

Renato Torres
Hi there, we are also walking VDLP in October - weather forecast 2015 looked good - we are expecting it to be rainy getting into November and of course colder as we walk north however October should be pretty good I think - it will be what it is and we will just have to 'go with it' :). More research to be done re accommodation - October shouldnt be too bad - November may be more of an issue. Let us know what you find and so will we. Cheers

Hi there, we are also walking VDLP in October - weather forecast 2015 looked good - we are expecting it to be rainy getting into November and of course colder as we walk north however October should be pretty good I think - it will be what it is and we will just have to 'go with it' :). More research to be done re accommodation - October shouldnt be too bad - November may be more of an issue. Let us know what you find and so will we. Cheers
I've walked the VdlP twice in November and December. Once I had no rain from Andalucía to Sanabria, with the downside being that I got mild frostbite on my hands in freezing fog near Zamora.

The only albergues I've ever found closed on the route were the (private) ones at Alcántara reservoir and Puebla de Sanabria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for this info - appreciated - Cheers
I've walked the VdlP twice in November and December. Once I had no rain from Andalucía to Sanabria, with the downside being that I got mild frostbite on my hands in freezing fog near Zamora.

The only albergues I've ever found closed on the route were the (private) ones at Alcántara reservoir and Puebla de Sanabria.

Thank you !
I'll let you know for sure!
Regards

Thank you alansykes for the info!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi !

Thanks in advance.

Renato Torres
I'm currently walking the VDLP and I've just headed west on the Sanabrés from Granja. The weather is not too bad - today was 14 degrees C and overcast but it's forecast to warm up in a few days. All the albergues are open and most nights there are 4 - 10 pilgrims. You can see lots of photos in my blog paulscamino.com

I'm currently walking the VDLP and I've just headed west on the Sanabrés from Granja. The weather is not too bad - today was 14 degrees C and overcast but it's forecast to warm up in a few days. All the albergues are open and most nights there are 4 - 10 pilgrims. You can see lots of photos in my blog paulscamino.com

Have been reading your blog every day, Paul. Have found it very useful for our upcoming Camino in April, 2017. Also, love the photos. Thanks so much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back