• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP or what?

angelafinnigan

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning to do the VDLP around 8/5/14 but beginning to think I'll be the only pilgrim around. Anyone else walking at this time? I'm wondering if I should choose the Arles route instead. I've walked Frances, Le Puy and Porto to SDC and would like a new walk but don't want to be on my own too much. Any suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think April-May and early autumn are the peak walking times for the VdlP so you're very unlikely ever to be alone - I had a look through the guestbook at Fuenterroble last time I was there and there were mostly 20-30 people staying every night throughout May

I think if you're starting in Sevilla it will be very hot in August... see other pilgrim posts on the topic under Search. And you won't be alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think there is some confusion on the month.
Are you planning on May or August?

The difference in U.S. and European date format can be confusing.

I walked the VdlP in August of 2013. I was alone until Salamanca with temperatures from 45 to 55 every day. No relief from the sun and heat. I did it, but would advise against it in August!

I was alone in albergues every night until I met my wife in Salamanca.

I think there is some confusion on the month.
Are you planning on May or August?

The difference in U.S. and European date format can be confusing.

I walked the VdlP in August of 2013. I was alone until Salamanca with temperatures from 45 to 55 every day. No relief from the sun and heat. I did it, but would advise against it in August!

I was alone in albergues every night until I met my wife in Salamanca.

Good point @grayland. Forgot about that difference. Huge temp difference between August and May.

I'm planning to do the VDLP around 8/5/14 but beginning to think I'll be the only pilgrim around. Anyone else walking at this time? I'm wondering if I should choose the Arles route instead. I've walked Frances, Le Puy and Porto to SDC and would like a new walk but don't want to be on my own too much. Any suggestions?
If you mean 8th May, yes there will be plenty starting round then. May is a popular time, before it gets too hot. If you mean (US dating) 5th August, no - it would be pretty suicidal to start from Sevilla in August.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm picking up my VDLP in Caceres on May 1/2.
If you are a fast walker, you'll probably pass me.
Watch for my forum patch!
Buen Camino!

I'm picking up my VDLP in Caceres on May 1/2.
If you are a fast walker, you'll probably pass me.
Watch for my forum patch!
Buen Camino!

Thanks Annie, I'm happy to do 20-30km a day, I don't know if I'll catch up at that pace but I'll look out for you. Buen Camino

If you mean 8th May, yes there will be plenty starting round then. May is a popular time, before it gets too hot. If you mean (US dating) 5th August, no - it would be pretty suicidal to start from Sevilla in August.

It will be May 8th. Here's hoping you're right about plenty of pilgrims. I'm fine walking alone but so enjoy company in the evenings. Thanks. A

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Doing the VDP and I'll be in Sevilla on the 9th and will probably head out on the 11th for Santiago...probably will see you at some point. Buen Camino!

I'm now going much earlier than anticipated, flight out Tues 8th April, sorry I'll miss you guys. Hope I miss the rains.

Hope you all catch up with us - we leave Caceres on 24 April....We are not (this time) fast walkers.
We'll be on the lookout for forum patches!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Glad
Doing the VDP and I'll be in Sevilla on the 9th and will probably head out on the 11th for Santiago...probably will see you at some point. Buen Camino!

Glad to know you'll be
I think April-May and early autumn are the peak walking times for the VdlP so you're very unlikely ever to be alone - I had a look through the guestbook at Fuenterroble last time I was there and there were mostly 20-30 people staying every night throughout May
Good point @grayland. Forgot about that difference. Huge temp difference between August and May.

Hi Alan,
This gives me heart, thank you. I'm going in May so glad to know I'll have company in the evenings. Had no idea southern Spain gets into the 50's in the summer, can't imagine walking in that. Feeling a little more confident about choosing VDLP now.

H
Thanks for your responses. I'll be starting in May so should be ok. I walked Camino Frances in July last year and had to start really early to avoid the heat.
Hi, we will be in Merida around 7_9 April and Caceres around 15-18 April. Maybe we will all meet up somewhere enroute! Look out for two tired-looking Aussies who have started in Granada. Cheers and buen camino

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
There were quite a few pilgrims on the VDLP when I walked my sections last year in May.
This year, we booked ahead where possible.

W
H

Hi, we will be in Merida around 7_9 April and Caceres around 15-18 April. Maybe we will all meet up somewhere enroute! Look out for two tired-looking Aussies who have started in Granada. Cheers and buen camino

Will do, it would be lovely to meet up. Burn Camino and I'll hope to see you both.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It sounds like spring is a great time for the VldP. Any opinions out there about Salamanca- Santiago (or however far I get in 20 days) around July 1? Alternatively, I could look into beginning from a point further north? Do most people hire support teams? I am not, but I hope I am not fooling myself. Jitters about. I am so inspired by people (my age and much older) who have done this journey. . . possibility thinking will get me on this path. Yes. Yes it will.

Hi, Cindy,
You've chosen a great part of the Vdlp, and I think it's very possible to reach Santiago from Salamanca in 20 days. Starting from Zamora would cut 2-3 days off the total, but most of the "standard stages" show 17 days from Salamanca to Santiago (via the Sanabres, which goes through Ourense, and which I would highly recommend!).

I don't know of any support teams on the Vdlp, if by this you mean backpack transport. But you should know that this forum is about the best support team in the world for any pilgrim trying to get anywhere!

Jitters are a normal feature of any camino. I've been walking every year since 2000, and I still get them. But once you put one foot in front of the other as you start your camino, those jitters magically disappear!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Cindy,
You've chosen a great part of the Vdlp, and I think it's very possible to reach Santiago from Salamanca in 20 days. Starting from Zamora would cut 2-3 days off the total, but most of the "standard stages" show 17 days from Salamanca to Santiago (via the Sanabres, which goes through Ourense, and which I would highly recommend!).

I don't know of any support teams on the Vdlp, if by this you mean backpack transport. But you should know that this forum is about the best support team in the world for any pilgrim trying to get anywhere!

Jitters are a normal feature of any camino. I've been walking every year since 2000, and I still get them. But once you put one foot in front of the other as you start your camino, those jitters magically disappear!

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you, thank you Laurie! I am planning to go the more western route through Oursense. I like this a lot: "But once you put one foot in front of the other as you start your camino, those jitters magically disappear!"

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hopefully you meant westerly route through Ourense.

:)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.