• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verizon in Spain

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
At the very real risk of asking a question that has already been discussed....

I have AT&T and buy a Spanish SIM card when in Spain. I understand the AT&T rates and know that I need the local SIM.

I am walking the Primitivo with my Gradsons in June. They have Verizon.

Try as I might..I cannot get a handle on the Verizon international plan. I know folks who are using the new T-mobile plan and they are very pleased. I had thought that the had T-Mobile...bummer.

I have heard many different reports on the Verizon plan. They all seem to conflict.
Their use will be basically sending texts to each other in Spain and texts back to U.S. I would expect some voice to the U.S.

Can someone who has actually used their Verizon SIM in Spain share their experience as to costs?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year (June 2014) I used my Verizon iPhone with the "International" plan on the English Route. The plan cost me at the time $25 or $29 which included some small amount of data and a discounted rate on calls and texts. Since I wasn't sure how much data would get used if I attempted it, I just turned data off and relied only on wi-fi. It was something like $.05 to receive a text and $.50 to send. I forget what the cost per minute for calls was back to the US, but I did speak to my husband a few times, for up to 20 minutes or so. All in all, as I kept up with people at home and with my walking companions on the route, I spent about $250 more than my normal billed amount, mostly in texts. I was surprised at the amount, it added up quickly!

This time I plan on getting a Spanish SIM upon my arrival which should work out to be much cheaper.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At the very real risk of asking a question that has already been discussed....

I have AT&T and buy a Spanish SIM card when in Spain. I understand the AT&T rates and know that I need the local SIM.

I am walking the Primitivo with my Gradsons in June. They have Verizon.

Try as I might..I cannot get a handle on the Verizon international plan. I know folks who are using the new T-mobile plan and they are very pleased. I had thought that the had T-Mobile...bummer.

I have heard many different reports on the Verizon plan. They all seem to conflict.
Their use will be basically sending texts to each other in Spain and texts back to U.S. I would expect some voice to the U.S.

Can someone who has actually used their Verizon SIM in Spain share their experience as to costs?

I myself have set up several of my friends Verizon iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S on Telcel Mexico SIM cards, all connected with no problems, so I know from my experience that Verizon iPhone 5 and above are unlocked.
Looking at Verizon's global plan, they charge $25 per 100MB, and for an additional $15 they get 100min of voice, both incoming and outgoing, 100 outgoing texts, free incoming texts.
The Verizon Global plan is highway robbery, you could buy both of your grandsons a Spanish SIM card with data, and free incoming calls for less than what they pay for one line of Verizon service at home. If they want to save some money, have their Verizon service suspended for the time they are in Spain.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

Here are some Spanish prepaid SIM card with data options, the Vodafone Tourist SIM is a great deal for €15,
includes 1GB of data, and 60min of international calls, and free incoming calls.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Last edited:
I have had a very good experience with the Verizon global plan. I have used it for several trips to France and one to Russia. This post will go from France via their data roaming.

I have bought French Sim cards in the past and found it takes endless waits in a store, is sometimes hard to activate and costs the same as a month of the Verizon plan. Plus, I have no number for the inevitable lost baggage when I first arrive.

It depends on how you use it. I hardly ever text. I save long phone calls home for skype on wi- fi. I find the 100 mb is fine for daily email checks and tripadvisoring the hotels and restaurants. I use it occasionally in preference to the hotel wi fi if the wifi is just plain slow. I don't watch youtube or download many pictures except when there is decent wi fi.

Last year my baggage was indeed lost and had to be delivered to the obscur place we rent in this little town in France . I had the phone number ready at the airport and the three calls it took to get it here cost $4.50.

If I needed a lot of phone and data use I'd get a local sim. One trip I found an empty Orange store and it was a breeze. Another trip I spent half a day trying to get one and ended up just getting a cheapo phone package. Hopefully Spain is better---France does have a reputation for phone hassles.

Looking at Verizon's global plan, they charge $25 per 100MB, and for an additional $15 they get 100min of voice, both incoming and outgoing, 100 outgoing texts, free incoming texts.

Great info, Bajaracer! The plan I described was from June of 2014, so the current plan appears to include some texting, which would have made a big difference for me.

The impression I have is that getting a local SIM in Spain is relatively easy, depending on where you are looking, of course. I'm landing in a large enough city (A Coruna) and have noted locations of the major vendors (Orange, Vodafone, etc.) around my hotel.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great info, Bajaracer! The plan I described was from June of 2014, so the current plan appears to include some texting, which would have made a big difference for me.

The impression I have is that getting a local SIM in Spain is relatively easy, depending on where you are looking, of course. I'm landing in a large enough city (A Coruna) and have noted locations of the major vendors (Orange, Vodafone, etc.) around my hotel.

Getting a SIM card in Spain is relatively easy, they just need to see your passport, stick with a phone service that is on the Vodafone or Movistar network.

Since you are planning the Camino Portuguese, here are your options.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Portugal

My US friends and I hiked in 2012 and used the App called "WhatsApp" We could text back and forth free if we both had the app. Of course, it only worked where we had wireless reception. I turn off my cell, regardless of my carrier and use phone only for emergency. I find that most of my friends and family prefer text anyway. Just an idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hate having to be dependent on finding wifi, the reason why I buy an unlocked smartphone is so I can buy a local SIM card for less than €20, and be able to use it like I would at home and without fear of an astronomical phone bill when I get home.

WhatsApp is extremely popular in Spain, as texting there tends to be quite expensive.

I hate having to be dependent on finding wifi, the reason why I buy an unlocked smartphone is so I can buy a local SIM card for less than €20, and be able to use it like I would at home and without fear of an astronomical phone bill when I get home.
Hey, Bajaracer, any updates since the above information was posted on May 4 & 5? I have an iPhone 5c, and am thinking of getting a 6 - any thoughts?
Thanks so much!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey, Bajaracer, any updates since the above information was posted on May 4 & 5? I have an iPhone 5c, and am thinking of getting a 6 - any thoughts?
Thanks so much!!

Nothing new, all of Verizon iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6+ are all unlocked. Just buy a SIM card with data when you get to Spain. The Vodafone tourist SIM is a good bargain for €15, 1gb of data and 60min of calls back to the US and resets after 30 days if you have enough credit on the SIM card.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.