• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Serrana Apps and Maps

Johan van der Hoven

Johan - South Africa
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature
Good day
I am starting the Via Serrana from La Linea early April. I get lost easily and wonder if a GPS App for this route exists? If not, is there a guide for this route that somebody can recommends?
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there are not sufficient arrows to keep one on track.
I also need advice on what network to use for coverage from La Linnea through the de la Plata to Santiago..
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There's no specific app (e.g. Wise Pilgrim) as far as I'm aware. But there are GPS tracks published by the Asociación Gaditana Jacobea «Vía Augusta» that are available on Wikiloc. Here is the link to the first stage.

If you're unfamiliar with how to use these tracks, there are various ways. Personally, I download them, convert them to KML and import them into Maps.me, but others prefer to use Wikiloc directly.

There's no specific app (e.g. Wise Pilgrim) as far as I'm aware. But there are GPS tracks published by the Asociación Gaditana Jacobea «Vía Augusta» that are available on Wikiloc. Here is the link to the first stage.

If you're unfamiliar with how to use these tracks, there are various ways. Personally, I download them, convert them to KML and import them into Maps.me, but others prefer to use Wikiloc directly.
Thank you Nick!
(I enjoyed your writings, and found usefull informations about the Serrana!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used GPS tracks furnished by the Dutch confraternity when we walked the Via Serrana this past fall. https://www.santiago.nl/ We affectionately called those tracks "the Dutch guys". It worked quite well - they recommended downloading a GPS app called Essential GPS, which we did. We chose those tracks because they covered the entire Via Serrana, so that we didn't have to dowload a new track for each stage.

We did get lost right out of La Linea de la Concepción, but that was likely more operator error than anything. We also used Johnny Walker's written guide.

An advantage to using Wikiloc is you can set the app to signal you if you veer off the track you're following. With this feature you don't have to look at your phone at every intersection or fork.

An advantage to using Wikiloc is you can set the app to signal you if you veer off the track you're following. With this feature you don't have to look at your phone at every intersection or fork.
Indeed. On the other hand, an advantage of using something like Maps.me or similar is that you can download the map in advance for offline use, which is often useful in mountain areas or other remote places on the camino where there's no signal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good day
I am starting the Via Serrana from La Linea early April. I get lost easily and wonder if a GPS App for this route exists? If not, is there a guide for this route that somebody can recommends?
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there are not sufficient arrows to keep one on track.
I also need advice on what network to use for coverage from La Linnea through the de la Plata to Santiago..
Thank you in advance.
Hi Johan, there might be not sufficient yellow arrows in Cadiz province, but once you pass to Sevilla, there will be plenty of signs. Use wikiloc in case of doubt, but you should be fine. Enjoy!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back