Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Moirax since it's foundation in the eleventh century has been a halt along the way for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostella. It is one day's walk from Agen and on the way to La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652). Église Notre-Dame de Moirax is a fine example of romanesque architecture and has a noteworthy collection of wooden panels carved in rounds, misericordias and stalls by Jean Tournière (1699).
IMG_6909r.JPG
A few days ago, having found an old Guide Joanne with an excellent description of the romanesque features of the church in Moirax, I decided to translate a portion and add a few of my own photos as illustration. I located other 19th and early 20th century sources including sketches and a lithograph by Abbé Barrère (1855) and an online collection of vintage postcards. I have put them all together here in a resource for you to enjoy.

Resource: Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax

Moirax and the surrounding countryside warrants a day or two's rest and exploration. There is a gîte d'étape and café-épicerie in a quaint building beside the square. Pilgrims arrive in Moirax from Agen or La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/ GR652) and also from Aubiac or Layrac (Chemin Clunisian de Guyenne).

Bonne Chemin!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads