• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vuelling ... poles ... help?!

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr & Sep 2013, Apr 2014, 2015, Sep 2022, 2023
We are flying out of Pamplona to Barcelona with Vuelling arriving 1430 into T1, our connection leaves at 1625 T1 which is less than 2 hours .... (we had plenty of time until Emirates changed our outbound flight time aaagghh!! :evil: )... anyway it would appear poles cannot be checked into hand luggage (not worth the risk) and to speed up our connection we are considering not taking our poles with us, thus eliminating the need for checked luggage. :roll: Given the expense of purchasing them we would dearly love to take them.

Question 1... any experience with Vuelling's flights... are they usually reliable?
Question 2... we are only walking 10 days on our first Camino.. would you ditch the poles alleviating the need for checked baggage and less drama at Barcelona.. would hate to miss our connection to Melbourne!!

All ideas/advice would be very welcome.. thanks in advance... Jo :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Jo, I've had good experiences with Vueling, as has my daughter who has flown with them quite often. In 2012 I flew with them from La Coruna to London, and I think only a 10-15 min departure delay. I arrived to check in with my backpack in a horrible red/blue x-large junk bag I got from the Chinese shop in Santiago, the only thing I could find to protect my pack and my Pacer poles which were sticking out at the top. Looked horrible, and then the zipper broke! Very kind man at check-in got some thick tape and taped the whole sorry mess into a manageable thing I would be able to handle once I got to the UK! I only walked from Sarria, and I did find the poles useful especially going downhill, though I probably would have managed without them. Hope this helps a bit?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Poles? Stick them into your bag and have the guy at the airport with his/her machice wrap them in the plastic wrap, cost you you 5 or 6 or 7 Euro and solves all worries.
S

I've ahd bad experience with Vueling, lost my luggage for 4 days/ A problem when you plan on walking.
Poles are considered "a weapon", if you pack them in your bag it'll be found and you 'll have to send and pay as extra luggage.
I suggest you buy them on the camino as soon as you can.
All big towns have shops, SJPDP for sure, look for DEcahtlon shops.
If you are in a good shape and starting from Pamplona you might be able to hike without.

Hi Jo,
I found the poles to be so, so helpful, I'd never walk without them ! There are some hilly, rocky paths,before Logrono. I agree with Zammy, buy them when you arrive.
Buen camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used poles on all my caminos and found them very helpful, especially downhill. I took them on the first occasion from Sydney to London and then London to Biaritz and on the second occasion from Sydney to Paris and then Paris to to Pau, and also Santiago to Barcelona on 5 different airlines totaling 9 flights including Vueling (on time). My poles are Letz and as suggested by Letz I took them apart into 3 sections and put them in my backpack which was checked baggage. I confirm that there is a small counter inside Barcelona airport near the entry doors which securely wrap baggage in strong plastic - cost 6 euros from memory. I am sure you will be OK taking your poles and making the connection. Suggest that you try contacting the airline (is it Emirates?) to let them know your connection times. Send me a PM if you are doubtful about dismantling your poles. David

I have used poles and would not be without them. It would seem from your post that your poles are expensive one.

I always check them into the hold so that I have no anxieties. However I see that 'time' is a factor for you. Could you perhaps for this occasion purchase some cheap poles and then it they get confiscated their cost would be less than the cost of checking in the bags.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

I've always found Vueling to be very reliable. However I've noticed several times recently at both Santiago and A Coruna airports that pilgrims have been turned away from security being told "either check your waling sticks into the hold or lose them". There is now a large pile of walking poles in the Pilgrims' Office for this reason.

Take care.

John

If I read this correctly, your worrisome connection is for your return flight. Is that right? And you are hoping not to have any checked baggage.

One idea would be to leave your fancy poles at home and pick up a less expensive pair in SJPP. Then donate them to whatever albuergue you are in at the end of your ten days.

Or, bring the poles you already have, stop walking a day earlier (the walk into Logrono is not my favorite), take the bus/train to Barcelona, arriving the day before your flight. You could see a bit of Barcelona and be able to arrive at the airport in Barcelona with more time to deal with checked luggage without worrying that you might miss your flight home. I know that this shortens your walk but you might want to go for quality of the time rather than quantity. Is your Pamplona to Barcelona ticket linked to the rest of your ticket or something that you could change?

Poles are good. I would consider your own specific situation (knees, etc.) to decide whether to even consider not using them.

Could I throw another idea in the mix.
Bring your poles, they will be the ones you are used to using. At the end of your walk go to the local post office and post them home. The larger post offices provide readymade boxes and bags for posting stuff home or on to santiago.
Either way have a great Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2 experiences of buying poles on Camino, the Chinese Bazaar is the place 10euro a pair and very decent ones too..have had to leave 2 pairs in SdeC airport on return home, not so bad if they only cost 10 euro, next time though I'm going to check in a bag.
I dont find checking in a bag the delay in an airport, usually it is the q for security which you have to do baggage or no baggage.
You will certainly enjoy 10 days walking...all of them.

Thank you all so very much.. some great ideas... I will investigate the many options that you have given me... very grateful. Jo :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recall Paul Moylan's "Camino Planning Guide", had a great idea for - not just the poles, but for all those bits that they classify as security risks. He suggests that you get a tube from the Post Office (my poles don't fold up either), put the poles, scissors, tweezers, whatever is against carry-on laws ... into the tube and check the tube in with the airline, keeping your backpack with you on the flight.
That way, you have your most valuable stuff with you. It's been shown how relatively easy it is to replace the poles, tweezers... etc. if the airline loses them...

Bien Camino
Gina

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back