• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Distance

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course. The old-fashioned way.
Use a good paper map (not Brierley's because they're schematic and not to scale), measuring the route you walked against the scale provided. (There are gizmos with little wheels that can do this but a piece of string or the edge of a piece of paper work fine.)
This is probably more accurate than the electronic versions that measure footsteps.

Hi @Tharina - I'm assuming by not using an "online" device, you mean something not using Internet / data.

There are lots of apps that will measure distance (in km / mi, as you prefer) without requiring online access. Your smartphone does not need online access to determine your position -- the GPS antenna can do that and GPS does not use data. An app can record your positions and then use simple calculations to sum up the distance between the points.

There are many apps you could use, including ones that will let you export a GPS track of your walk, send daily announcements to social media, and so on. One thing to be cautious about, though, is that the GPS antenna uses a lot of battery, especially if it is running continuously (as would be the case when recording a long-distance walk). Well-designed apps try to minimize this by reducing the frequency that they check your position, but it can still be an issue when you're walking 4 - 8 hours per day.

Another possible issue is accuracy. GPS has an inherent margin of error. Your device also makes a big difference. The GPS receiver in a smartphone is not as accurate as a dedicated GPS. If you really want to know if that section of the walk was 6.2 km or if it was 6.3 km, then a dedicated GPS receiver would be best. Of course, if you want to know whether your walk was 6.216184 km, then the suggestion by @Viranani that you use one of those gizmos with little wheels to physically measure the distance is your next step (or a really long measuring tape). :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you !
Hi @Tharina - I'm assuming by not using an "online" device, you mean something not using Internet / data.

There are lots of apps that will measure distance (in km / mi, as you prefer) without requiring online access. Your smartphone does not need online access to determine your position -- the GPS antenna can do that and GPS does not use data. An app can record your positions and then use simple calculations to sum up the distance between the points.

There are many apps you could use, including ones that will let you export a GPS track of your walk, send daily announcements to social media, and so on. One thing to be cautious about, though, is that the GPS antenna uses a lot of battery, especially if it is running continuously (as would be the case when recording a long-distance walk). Well-designed apps try to minimize this by reducing the frequency that they check your position, but it can still be an issue when you're walking 4 - 8 hours per day.

Another possible issue is accuracy. GPS has an inherent margin of error. Your device also makes a big difference. The GPS receiver in a smartphone is not as accurate as a dedicated GPS. If you really want to know if that section of the walk was 6.2 km or if it was 6.3 km, then a dedicated GPS receiver would be best. Of course, if you want to know whether your walk was 6.216184 km, then the suggestion by @Viranani that you use one of those gizmos with little wheels to physically measure the distance is your next step (or a really long measuring tape). :)
Thank you so much - this will help

Is it possible to measure distance walked in kilometers without using and "online" device?
Yes , I use a watch from Tomtom with GPS, very accurate.
Measure's my steps , distance, heartbeat and burnd callories.
Works great for me .

Wish you well,Peter.

My daughter and I recently walked the Portuguese camino, and she was very keen to know our distances, so we both downloaded the "pedometer" app onto our phones. This quickly demonstrated its unreliability, in that we walked side by side, but the same app would often vary by several kilometers on our respective phones by the end of a days walking. We found the easiest way was to look it up in a reliable guide book. Not all guide books quoted the same distance however, but they came close enough to let us know what to expect. Within a few days we got pretty good at gauging our distances and estimating how far we had come and how far there was still to go. Most hospitaleros have a good knowledge of the route before and after there albergue and can tell you accurately both how far you have walked that day, and what you can expect to walk the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you will use GPS tracker/recorder within your smart phone then switch the phone to airplane mode while walking because that's all the GPS receiver really needs and uses much less juice. I have used Endomondo and Wikiloc to record my way but found later much more accurate.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.