• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in November 2014

Lane McNeill

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino in November 2014
Hey everyone I'm walking the Camino start from SJDP at the start of November 2014 because its the only time I could do it so I was just wondering if anyone had walked it in November and could tell me about the weather and the amount of people that walk it that time :)
Thanks
Lane

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There were 4,900 Santiago arrivals last November, and 1,659 December arrivals (who presumably started in November). On the Camino Frances there were 1,139, of whom 233 started in SJPdP. So it looks like seven or eight per day at the time you are going. It does snow in November crossing the Pyrenees. It rained 16 days of 30 in Pamplona last November.

Buen camino.

Hi,
Mi first Camino was in the beginning of November 2012. It was from Astorga and I was very lucky with the weather. It rained two days, and one of them it poured down. The temperatures were mild and most days I could wear only a t-shirt at midday.
Last year I did the Camino Aragonés from Somport , and Frances from Puente la Reina, beginning 16th november and ending 12th december. In general, it was cold, specially first day in Somport (a lot of snow) and in Burgos (Villafranca and Montes de Oca were really really cold). But the weather was really good and I had only one day pouring down. Even in Galicia I had sunny days almost till Santiago. I wore almost all the time a t-shirt, a fleece, a soft-shell, and polar cap and gloves.
It was surprising that I found more people last year in december than the previous year in november. I found enough pilgrims not to walk alone if I wanted. Many hostels are closed but I love this time of year to do the Camino. I am sure you'll enjoy it.
The photographs are the first day in Somport

Attachments

• DSC_0211.JPG
    DSC_0211.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0225.JPG
    DSC_0225.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow thank you both so much helps me out a lot
Awesome pics Kilgore im excited to see snow for the first time :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow thank you both so much helps me out a lot
Awesome pics Kilgore im excited to see snow for the first time :)
Any chance you could hike mid Oct? : ) i really want to do this and don't want to start out solo especially if weather is dicey.

Geo I would have loved to walk with you but I'm not leaving Australia til the 28th October so I can't :( but Im sure you will meet someone else more lovely than me haha to walk with ;)
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm walking the camino in November as well. I arrive in Madrid November 7th. My flight home departs Madrid December 9th. Will I have enough time to walk from St Jean to Santiago?

Very cold mornings and nights, short days, if the weather is ok, then it could warm up during the day 15-20 celsius. This applies for the meseta and southern navarra and la rioja. Galicia could be rough. Careful with accommodation, a lot of the albergues close off season.

I'm walking the camino in November as well. I arrive in Madrid November 7th. My flight home departs Madrid December 9th. Will I have enough time to walk from St Jean to Santiago?
+750 kms in less than 30 days... That's pretty intense. You might want to consider starting closer to Santiago, Pamplona, logroño...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any chance you could hike mid Oct? : ) i really want to do this and don't want to start out solo especially if weather is dicey.
I'm starting around October 15 from SJPP. Don't worry - you will find people to walk with. Where do you intend to start?

I started on the 27 October in 2010. The day I crossed the Pyrenees it was in the low 70's and was a clear as it could be, I met a couple who started a few days before me and encountered real problems on the climb with conditions turning nasty, also met people who started a few days after me who had perfect weather for the crossing, you do not really know what's going to happen until the morning of the crossing so seek and heed local advice as much as you can.

The weather was more or less perfect for the whole walk, apart from two days of crazily strong winds on the meseta and an absolute downpour after passing La Faba which had turned into a snow blizzard by the time I got to Laguna Castile. I was bit lucky people who I knew who were a day or two ahead of me were regularly getting snow blizzards, and people who were behind me by a day were holed up on a couple of occasions because of extreme conditions. So you never really know what is going to happen, to use the phrase which has been used on here a lot..Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If you are starting near the beggining of November you could see around 20-30 pilgrims at various points around every day, a lot more as you get closer to Santiago, there is holidays in Spain usually at the end of November/beggining of December, I met a lot of Spanish who were making pilgrimages to coincide with that, on top of that there is quite a few people who only walk for one or two weeks and they can start and finish anywhere.
There is quite a few albergues open, obviously not as much as the summer months but there is enough in November to make it not a problem, it is worth checking ahead sometimes but usually I just wondered into a place and something showed up.

Burn Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi,

I'm thinking about departing from SJPP on the 8th Nov 14. So maybe see you there..?

Hello Lane,
I am planning on walking El camino in november. I come from colder country, hoping it gives me little resistance from cold weather. Please don´t forget windproof and waterproof jacket, shoes!
I was thinking to take with me an expedition tent suitable for cold temeperatures, just in case I need to hide from heavy rain and wind (what I doubt it happens often in Spain). It weights only 2.5kg, so not too bad. What do you think_?

Hey everyone I'm walking the Camino start from SJDP at the start of November 2014 because its the only time I could do it so I was just wondering if anyone had walked it in November and could tell me about the weather and the amount of people that walk it that time :)
Thanks
Lane

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Lane,
I am planning on walking El camino in november. I come from colder country, hoping it gives me little resistance from cold weather. Please don´t forget windproof and waterproof jacket, shoes!
I was thinking to take with me an expedition tent suitable for cold temeperatures, just in case I need to hide from heavy rain and wind (what I doubt it happens often in Spain). It weights only 2.5kg, so not too bad. What do you think_?

Any tent is suitable for cold temperatures ... a tent won't keep you warm. A tent will protect you from rain and wind ... however ... its useless weight unless you plan to sleep in it most nights.

I am called to mind how mucky the path was in Galicia ... mucky because it was shared with cows. Not good ground for a tent!

I encountered snow at O Cebreiro at the end of November. Temperatures never got much below zero Celsius. The weather started getting wetter the closer I got to Santiago. I got to Finisterre just as the rains really got heavy. Squalls filled the streets with rivers of water in about 5 minutes ... just to put to rest any misconceptions about wind and heavy rain in Spain.

Any tent is suitable for cold temperatures ... a tent won't keep you warm. A tent will protect you from rain and wind ... however ... its useless weight unless you plan to sleep in it most nights.

I am called to mind how mucky the path was in Galicia ... mucky because it was shared with cows. Not good ground for a tent!

I encountered snow at O Cebreiro at the end of November. Temperatures never got much below zero Celsius. The weather started getting wetter the closer I got to Santiago. I got to Finisterre just as the rains really got heavy. Squalls filled the streets with rivers of water in about 5 minutes ... just to put to rest any misconceptions about wind and heavy rain in Spain.

You are right. Thank you. I should be thinking of every gram of the weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back