• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Shorts in May

• Thread starter Former member 32445
  • Start date
F

Former member 32445

Dear Pilgrims,
Firstly, apologies, am sure this topic has been killed on this site but...
I am walking this May (St Jean - Santiago and onto Finisterre and just plan on walking in running shorts (NOT Just!) (DRI-FIT or alike) and taking Waterproof Trousers.
Basically, from pilgrims that walk/have walked at this time of year (allowing for weather variations!) is this sufficient?
Warm Regards and Blessings in advance
Blu

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In May on the Frances, we walked in shorts. Had quick-dry pants and wore them I think twice on very cold mornings. I remember even wearing gloves those mornings. Even in rain though, I prefer shorts to long pants, even rain pants. Less hassle.
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In May on the Frances, we walked in shorts. Had quick-dry pants and wore them I think twice on very cold mornings. I remember even wearing gloves those mornings. Even in rain though, I prefer shorts to long pants, even rain pants. Less hassle.
Buen camino!

Excellent news and just loved the quote on your signature!
Blessings
Blu

For the first set of caminos I did, I walked in shorts switching to long pants for the evening after we had stopped and showered. Seem to make sense especially in the warm Spanish spring weather. The only drawback was having to put sun screen lotion. In the really cold days ( they only a few) I wore rain pants over the shorts to provide some added warmth.

However more recently I have walked wearing long convertible pants. Surprisely I was not hot and in fact not having to wear sun screen lotion meant I was actually cooler, even on the warmest days.

I still take the rain pants but honestly unless it is raining like crazy, I rather not wear them.

To each his or her own but at this time of the year you may find two pairs of long convertible pants more appropriate; one for day and another for evenings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Basically, from pilgrims that walk/have walked at this time of year (allowing for weather variations!) is this sufficient?
Warm Regards and Blessings in advance
Blu

I usually wear shorts, but if it is particularly cold I wear lightweight longs or waterproof pants over my shorts. I have worn shorts in April.

Dear Pilgrims,

I am walking this May (St Jean - Santiago and onto Finisterre and just plan on walking in running shorts (NOT Just!) (DRI-FIT or alike) and taking Waterproof Trousers.

Do you mean real running shorts? Basically no pockets and fairly short?

Wouldn't walking shorts make more sense?

So far on all my pilgrimages I have only worn shorts, the pic of me would be the only day on the me seta where I wore my evening pants, because I had not bothered doing my washing the night before. Some mornings there was a bit of a frost and my legs went bright red, but I walked fast and by 10 am I was warm. I don't mind my skin getting wet in the rain. It is a personal thing, but shorts it is for me in the true Kiwi Tradition!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I usually take shorts, then use long ones after a few days to prevent sun burn down the back of my legs and insect bites. April can be very hot with a burning sun. I also often wear long-sleeved shirts [see my pic!] for the same reason and to keep off flies and mossies.

I wore convertible pants. I walked the end of May to the end of June on the CF from SJPdP and it was miserably wet and cold. Freezing. The pants (somehow) kept my legs warm, dried quickly when they got wet, and protected my legs from the sun, when it finally appreared. I only zipped off the bottoms during the last week of my walk. WHOO WHOO!!
Yes, this actually is a picture of me celebrating finally unzipping my pants leaving Melide.IMGP4493.JPG

Thanks Guys, great feedback, in answer to wouldn't walking shorts be better? I don't personally see this, the running shorts have pockets, for daily spending money, what else will you be carrying? and walking shorts just seem to me, a little too heavy, running shorts, dry quick and pack down to nothing, I just want to be as free and light as possible when walking...

Am DELIGHTED you got to expose your legs albeit only for the last week, sure a WOO HOO moment...

Am still struggling with the convertible situation, so think it will be shorts and take waterproof trousers should it absolutely bucket it down :)

Cannot wait now.....

Blessings
Blu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear running shorts and add compression socks (a full sock that goes up to your knees) or calf sleeves (ankle-to-knee coverage). Those will keep your legs warm on days when it's a little nippy in the morning/late afternoon, yet they never feel too hot when the day warms up. Plus they keep your feet/legs from swelling and supposedly help your muscles. I also have compression sleeves for my arms. Those have been perhaps the top items I'd recommend for the Camino. They're lightweight, easy to pack and mean you often don't need extra pants or shirts.

Melanie

I wear running shorts and add compression socks (a full sock that goes up to your knees) or calf sleeves (ankle-to-knee coverage). Those will keep your legs warm on days when it's a little nippy in the morning/late afternoon, yet they never feel too hot when the day warms up. Plus they keep your feet/legs from swelling and supposedly help your muscles. I also have compression sleeves for my arms. Those have been perhaps the top items I'd recommend for the Camino. They're lightweight, easy to pack and mean you often don't need extra pants or shirts.

Melanie

HMMMM, compression socks, sleeves, insightful advice, many thanks, when are you walking?

my husband & I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in mid May 2013 and there was not a day I wore shorts. Just kind of too cold. I mean, we had snow going over Alto de Poio and mushed through it up the hill to O Cebreiro. But when the sun came out after that pass it was Heaven. Warm, sunny. T-shirt weather! One just never knows what kind of weather one will get so I say just be prepared for anything. I envy you your first walk. May it be a blessed one full of joy and happy memories.
Buen Camino, Graham.
Renee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Like many above I wear convertibles. Last year I walked from SJPdP May 10th. Although it was cold a lot of the time I wore them as shorts almost all of the time. It is all a question of personal preference at the end of the day (well in our cases at each time of the day). Myself I prefer wet skin to wet trousers and take two pairs of convertibles for day and evening wear, but you just do what you feel is right for you. any day. Whatever you decide it is quite possible that you will have changed your opinion by the end of your Camino (if not after a few days, we all do!). While I enjoy each one I almost envy someone starting their first experience. Buen Camino.

Great topic as I am cycling from Leon mid May n in my innocence thought the weather would be warm. Like yourself I plan on shorts but thanks to this thread I will pack leggings n change during day. All the running gear is v light weight, look out for the lidl or aldi specials

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great topic as I am cycling from Leon mid May n in my innocence thought the weather would be warm. Like yourself I plan on shorts but thanks to this thread I will pack leggings n change during day. All the running gear is v light weight, look out for the lidl or aldi specials

Hi Dude,
Yep, shorts all the way (DRI-FIT) although a development...now NOT taking waterproof trousers, will swap for Running Tights (FRI-FIT) super lightweight (NOT waterproof) BUT dry double quick and pack down to nothing, feel great to walk/cycle, added bonus can be worn in the 'buff' or with Y-Fronts, and being from Brighton love the SKINNY look, although those not comfortable with the look of their torso being so 'open' a pair of shorts worn over the top will solve...they are super warm for cold mornings...just putting that out there...
Blessings
Blu

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.