• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Speed

Dave2013

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (09/2013)
As I've read a few posts that mention people walking faster/slower along the road. I was wondering what the average might be so... respond to the following if you have actually tracked your numbers.

Height: 5'5"(165cm)
Average Speed: 3mi(4.8km)/hr

Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Age - 66
Height - 170cm
average speed - 4km/p/h

Sandra :arrow:

Dave2013 said:
I was wondering what the average might be so...
Age 74 - 1.70 m. - 71 kg.
Walking speed: uphill or downhill (5% - 10% - 14%) between 4 km/h and 2 km/h; Level road: 5 km/h; Other factors are road conditions (asphalt, stones, mud, etc.) as well as weather (wind, storm, sheets of rain, etc.)
And last but not least: a pleasant albergue, good company, enticing menus, cool beverages, etc. which may make you decide to "call it a day". :lol:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Age - 65, 68 kgs,1.7m, 5 km per hour. (slower when I'm working out April 1st messages.... :lol: )

53 years old female 5'5" with a slightly bum hip that I tend to baby about 4-4.5 km/hr on level trails or approx 2.5 mph

If the hip does start to twinge I slow it down to about 2.0 - 2.2 mph (3.2-3.5 km/hr) and that seems to sort things out.

I'm not planning to make the 20+ km a day (unless I absolutely have to) that some of the younger or more fit folks do. I am aiming around 15 km a day give or take ... if the distance is likely to be more than 15 on a given day to make the next closest refugio I will choose alternate accommodations at a shorter interval. I am still unsure exactly how far I will be able to manage on any given day but I have no time restrictions so I plan to let my feet health and general fitness level dictate my progress. But who knows, as my walk progresses my fitness level will too ... time will tell.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm with Robert and Mystcl. This isn't a race or one-upsmanship challenge. Walk at your own pace what ever it is. If walking with others, set a stopping place in advance for each night. You get there when you get there and not a moment sooner.

I plan on going slow and taking the time to pray, commune and reflect.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

In 2010, I averaged 4.5kph as my effective average for most days. I walked on the flat at around 5.5kph, decreasing slightly on slopes and towards the end of the day, and would take a break every two hours at the closest convenient bar/cafe/albergue. Most days I did three sessions, or around 25km. Some days I did an extra session, but that was rare.

I was walking to a deadline, and did not have the luxury of just taking it as it came.

M59, 176cm, ~85kg when I am walking seriously.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With a bad case of plantar fasciitis in Sep 2011, I made good about 3 kph from Cahors to SJPP, which is milder in profile than the Le Puy- Cahors stage. This year with orthotics I'm hoping for 4 kph.

Kitsambler, 3kph is a wonderful average, but you must admit you had the plantar fascitis assisting. I'd also like to know about wind direction. My sub-3 average will be achieved with wind behind me and no injuries of any sort. I've set my mind to it. I can do this!

I wish you'd stop boasting about your speed, Robertt - we're not all sub 3km marathoners - most of us find it difficult enough to stay below 4kph. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mysticl - your schedule sounds fine. I'm off on the Via de la Plata in six weeks, and have scheduled myself for 10 miles [16 kms] a day. I average about 2 m.p.h. [3 k.p.h.] because I take lots of photographs, pray at the wayside crosses, visit the churches [if they're open!], chat to everyone I see [and a few that I don't] and really enjoy myself.
The camino isn't a race.
I have a dodgy hip, so I sympathize. May I recommend you take some Ibuprofen with you? In England they come in 200mg and 400 mg. In Spain you can get 600 mg but I prefer to take the smaller doses and double up if necessary.
God bless you on your pilgrimage.
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hola. What a great question! I am walking alone Sarria to Santiago 100-115kms Camino Ways Easy Walking 11days-10 nights with pre-arranged accommodations. I've been estimating my average walking speed at 2.5mph , racing speed 3mph under super conditions. After an hour on the road drop to about 1-1.5 and less with distractions, hills, poor road conditions and sore feet. I figure sometimes I'll be so slow I'll be walking backwards. The "ace up my sleeve" as the saying used to go, is my excellent health.

Starting May 30. F(80 in a couple months). Look for me napping in the ditches.

PS. I'm Canadian from Toronto, Canada

I average 5.5km as a comfortable training pace though on the Camino, this average invariably falls as I stop to take photos and explore the countryside I'm walking through. I could walk faster but except on training sessions when I'm trying to get the heart going and improve my fitness, I don't feel the need.

I do know the odd joy that comes from number-crunching though, as I keep a log of my training walk times but on the Camino, the walk itself is the pleasure.

Male, 33, 75-80kg, 180cms.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
5-6 in the morning (mostly cause it is cold and i need to get to my first coffee FAST) slowing down to about 3 later in the day...

Age 70, 59 kgs. 5 kms the first hour if the trail is flattish, especially if I still havent had my morning coffe!. After that it's usually about 4kms per hour - UNLESS it's raining, it's boiling hot, it's muddy, steep path to climb, etc. By the end of the day, considering all the stops, photos, visiting churches, sitting under a tree to have a snack, sitting at a bar watching all the comings and goings, I guess we do 3 kms per hour! Anne

While my response above was written tongue in cheek since I am walking such a small distance I overrated my ability and think if I can manage 1.5 -2 miles an hour I would be very happy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
as they say, it is the journey not the destination, you seem to be the lucky one Koby as you get so much more journey for the same amount of km's :)

Pieces said:
5-6 in the morning (mostly cause it is cold and i need to get to my first coffee FAST) slowing down to about 3 later in the day...

surely your day is over after the first 2 hours, yes getting the first hit in the morning could include some argy-bargy.......I'm just hoping for any kind liquid intake, chilled water can be just wonderful

59 y/o female, 53 kilos (117 lb), 162 cm (5'4"): 4.5 km/h.

For those who have a dodgy hip: I used to have that, and cured it completely with the most potent natural anti-inflammatory on Earth: turmeric.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spi ... erbs/212/2

I will take a small plastic vial and sprinkle it on food, 1/2 teaspoon a day is all you need. It's specially good on rice or salads. Mixing it with a bit of ground pepper increases its anti inflammatory effect manifold. Research (just google "turmeric inflammation") has shown it to be more effective to lower inflammation than ibuprofen, without the side effects (stomach problems). And it will protect you from more serious chronic inflammatory diseases such as heart disease and cancer too!

I eat turmeric every day of my life, it really works. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Who wants to be average?
I walked last year with my husband, he likes to walk fast. After many days training and on the Camino I realised he doesn't really like the "walking", so, figure this, I have to now slow myself down, change my acquired habits, and be "on the camino". I consider myself lucky that over the years I have walked the hills with people faster/fitter/thinner than myself, they have kept me fitter than I may have been. BUT I may not have got the dodgy knees, sore ankles, achilles bulges etc etc if I had walked at my own body dictated pace. I walk alone this April. I may report back how many days it has taken me to get from a-z (sorry, Santiago) but I sure as hell won't be telling anyone my less than vital stats...to be able to walk from St Jean to Santiago is a privilege, a pilgrimage, a gift-ENJOY.

52 years old, 5 foot 10 inches and 88 kgs ( 14 stone ), 5.5 kms per hour on easy trails, averaging 5 kms per hour over a typical up and down day excluding stops but I do like my cafe con leche's :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last autumn at 72 years, 5 feet 8 inches tall, and 62 kilos carrying a 6.5 kilo loaded pack I averaged 4 km per hour. But NOT the first week, nor later walking through heavy mud or pouring rain. I hope to resume this pace once again this October. However, wishing will not make it so. The daily topography and weather plus one's health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure all are contributing factors.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

66, 1m67, 3.5/4 km per hour.
I'll see during this next VDLP how I'm faring. It will be one day at a time. Each day finished, a resounding success. Let us see how many days I can string together this time. Last year I had to stop suddenly. This year, I intend to use caution, common sense etc etc etc :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a pretty fast walker at home, but found I not only wanted to go more slowly on the Camino, but needed to in order to prevent hip pain. Maybe it was just the accumulated distance, but most people I met had the same experience--speed on the Camino significantly slower than training walks. At home I average about 4 miles an hour; on the Camino I averaged about 4 km an hour. (I'm 46, 5'4", female).

Captura-almanza-alpera-1024x206.jpg

I succumbed to a GPS this year and it confirmed for me what I know that I walk on average at 3km/hr over a day and I often walk for 8 hours or more with breaks. I'm slow because although I'm 6´ I've little legs.

5'9"
165 lbs (75kg)

I walk about 3 mph ( 4.8 kmh) on average over a day. Stops, hills, weather and pack weight all have an effect on this.

Last month, In November, I walked 272 miles (440 km) (approx) over about 15 days. These were just daily walks from my home and back with many steep climbs. Almost all on hard surfaces. Small day pack.
The walking average was about 3 mph according to GPS recording.
(About half the distance from SJPdP to Santiago).

Hight: 170 cm
Weight: Starting 63 ending 56 kg
Backpack: 8 kg with water and food
Speed: 5 km/h (when stops for a lot of photos, food, rest etc) without the stops around an average of 5,8-6 km/h (haven't got the same statistics for it over the camino).
My total average speed (5) is for SJPdP-SdC-Finisterrre-Muxía-SdC plus Ferrol-SdC.

Edit: I walked approximately the last 10 days with severe anemia and had shin splits in the left leg from Ponerrada and onward so my average speed was taken down a bit compare to hiking/walking when I'm not ill.

Last edited:
Left SJPDP on Sept 20 and walked to Fisterre on Nov. 8. Two zero days. Many more nero days.
Height: 5'6"
Weight: over
Backpack: 18lbs with food and water
Speed: Glacial
Note: Better going uphill, but the downhills (especially after Cruz de Ferro) were killers. I never learned the technique for relaxing on downhill and absolutely dreaded the descents. Trekking poles are lifesavers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
P.S. Despite the "dreaded descents" I loved every minute on the Camino and can't wait to go back next autumn. But I'll be taking the time until then learning how to walk downhill safely and without scaring myself to death.

P.S. Despite the "dreaded descents" I loved every minute on the Camino and can't wait to go back next autumn. But I'll be taking the time until then learning how to walk downhill safely and without scaring myself to death.
I find walking poles are a great help on descents. Otherwise, I think it's largely a matter of slowing down and looking carefully where one is putting one's feet.

Last edited:
I timed my camino walks and here goes, age 60 plus, 5 '11 and 90 kg. I average 12 minutes a km, that's 5 km an hour. I can keep that up no problem for 4 hours, so 20 km in 4 hours, I don't drink coffee so H2o my only stop. Oh but after 20 km I slow way down, oh age!! I keep backpack to 5.5/6 kg

6 foot 1 1/2 inches on a good day
195 lbs plus 25 lbs pack
Uphill: 3 km/hr
Average: 4 km/hr
Top speed: 6 km/hr

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would the 6km per hour be on your skateboard..downhill?:cool:
If he has 6 km/h as top on a skateboard downhill what do I use then a rocket. I do 6 km/h as average when taking away stops for photos, food etc. My max on flat was 7,8 on the camino, downhill it was a bit over 10 :) At home without a backpack my normal speed out walking is an average of 7,6 km/h. :)

But the camino is no race and everyone has a different ground speed in us. I'm a fast walker my husband is a really slow one, one of many reason for us not to go on the camino together :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.