• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the camino in June

cathy

I arrive in Madrid early on June 2nd and would like to get to Roncevalles the same day. Can someone tell me the particulars of where to get the bus or train to Pamplona? Is it necessary to book ahead? Is it possibe? Many thanks, cathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Madrid to Roncesvalles

Hello Cathy,
What a great time you have chosen to walk the camino!

From Madrid to Roncesvalles you could fly, take a bus or a train to Pamplona.

The bus is http://www.continental-auto.es/index.do (± 5 hours and E24)
If you are hoping to get to Roncesvalles on the same day you arrive in Madrid, you would have to get one of these to Pamplona as the bus to Roncesvalles leaves from there at 18h00.

08:00 13:10
10:30 15:35
12:00 17:00

Then bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles :
Bus -Autocares Artieda (formerly Lamontanesa) 948 330 581 to. Mon-Fri at 18h00 Sat: 14h00 (Not on Sunday) ± E4

Or, you can get a taxi to Roncesvalles:

Roncesvalles - Taxis: Valcarlos: Andoni 636191423:
From Garralda: Angel MÂŞ 609411449
From Espinal: Francisco 649725951

I don't think you'll need to book ahead. The busses leave from within the same Madrid underground complex as the tube that gets you there. Just ask someone to direct you.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Glad you think it's a good time to go. I was worried it might be too crowded. I'm going alone, but I keep reading that "alone" is definitely not what I'll be in summer. Speaking of summer, I can't decide whether I'll need a long sleeve fleece shirt. I'll have a rain jacket and keep thinking that and a long sleeve capilene shirt will suffice. Any thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cathy, I heard the same things, too...I'm starting the Camino at the end of June. My question, along with the long sleeve fleece shirt, do I bring a foam camping mat to use as my mattress if 'there is no room at the inn' due to summer crowds? I'm hearing yes and no--can I please hear from the experts? This means any and all of you! :D k

Sleeping Mats

I took one and used it about three times. When we got to Ferreiros I took pity on a young man from France who had to sleep on the floor and didn't have one and lent it to him. He was still sleeping so peacefully the next morning when we left I didn't want to wake him. As far as I know he still has it!

Re: Sleeping Mats

You know what, Sillydoll? That is exactly what I was thinking of doing during my Camino--I use it if I need it, someone else uses it if they need it. What happens happens. It is just so bulky---featherlight---but it will keep me from being 'streamlined'. :wink: I'm thinking too much about it all--I just want to get going already!!!!! Thanks for the input. k

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bus

Is there really just that one bus at 18:00 that goes from Pamplona to Roncesvalles? I find that very little and very late! We will be renting a car to get from Barcelona to Pamplona. I want to drop of my BF at Roncesvalles with all our stuff, return the car in Pamplona and then take the bus back to start in Roncesvalles the following day. However, I would certainly like to be there earlier than 19:00 (I assume the bus takes at least an hour to get there).
Sillydoll: I noticed your taxi listing. Any idea how much it could cost? I mean it is pretty far away (some 50 km?)... What a pity they don't at least have one in the morning!!

Bus - taxi to Roncesvalles

One of the BEST web sites for checking on transport to-and-from different towns on the camino is Grant Spangler's site at:

http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago

If you click on Roncesvalles it will give you all the info on transport.

Monday – Friday: 18:00
(Only from 1 July – 31 August) Monday – Friday: 10:00
Saturday: 09:30
Sundays & Holidays: No service
Price: € 3.91

TAXIs to Roncesvalles
AsociaciĂłn TeleTaxi and AsociaciĂłn Radio Taxi are two local agencies.
+34 948 232 300, +34 948 230 000, +34 948 232 100, +34 948 221 212
+34 948 220 971, +34 948 351 335, +34 948 221 144
Pamplona - Roncesvalles € 42.00

I know it seems a lot when you can fly from London to Biarritz for €20 but this isn't a bad price. My husbnad will be getting a taxi from Lavacolla airport to Sarria in September and the cost is over € 100

Hope it works out for you Klarita.

Hugs,

Thanks

Sil, thanks for the info. We've more or less worked it out, I think it should be Ok.
However, if there is anybody out there that wants to share a cab from Pamplona to Roncesvalles on June 5 (Tuesday), we can try and make an arrangement... I have to drop of the car by 16:00 somewhere in the city centre... (but I want to do it earlier if possible), so if anybody is arriving on that day, let me know!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Pamplona on June 5th

We will be in Pamplona on June 5th looking for a way to Roncesvalles. It looks like we will be missing the last bus as our train will arrive (hopefully :) ) at 5:45 from Madrid. Our arrival time is all contingent on the flight being on time to Madrid, etc. My boyfriend and would love to split the costs though.

:)

Well... That doesn't sound bad, although I was hoping to be in Roncesvalles earlier rather than later.
I'll be in touch as the time approaches :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back