• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WARNING. simcardspain.es

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
My Recommendation Withdrawn

Last year walking the CF I ordered a Spanish SIM card before leaving Australia. It arrived fine and was a great during the walk.

This year I decided to do the same. And I used the same website, for ordering 2 SIM cards with express delivery. https://www.simcardspain.es Sadly the experience this year has not been good.

12 Mar I ordered the SIM cards.
13 Mar I was billed for them.
13 Mar they were shown online as despatched.

Zero.........

Nothing arrived. I have been sending messages to the company on almost a daily basis with no reply :oops:

Maybe they have gone broke, who knows. I'll seek a refund from Paypal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm guessing you have an unlocked phone? I have an iPhone 6. Would a sim switch work for me?

@Robo after reading your recommendation, I ordered one on 25 Feb. It came in about 2 weeks, just normal delivery.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm guessing you have an unlocked phone? I have an iPhone 6. Would a sim switch work for me?

Yes, an unlocked phone. Sorry I have no idea what a 'SIM switch' is :oops:

But if your phone is unlocked, you can use any SIM in it. When travelling I carry a few different SIMs.....

For those who are a bit lost........

The term 'Locked' in relation to a mobile phone, means that the phone is locked onto a specific mobile phone service/carrier/network. It cannot be used with a SIM from another carrier.

So for example, if you have a phone in Australia that is locked to the Telstra network, you would need to contact Telstra and have them 'unlock' the phone. (This can be done by calling them) If they are willing to do so.

Some phone contracts may require your phone to be 'locked' to a specific network/carrier for 12 or 24 months.

With the phone 'unlocked' you can use any SIM you like. An obvious advantage when travelling. Using your 'home' SIM card when overseas will usually result in massive phone and data charges
! (Like hundreds or even thousands of dollars.......)

Last edited:
@Robo after reading your recommendation, I ordered one on 25 Feb. It came in about 2 weeks, just normal delivery.

Good to hear!

Maybe mine was just a 'glitch'. Hopefully my SIM from last year will still work, or I can buy one at Madrid airport...

If you need to unlock your phone there are several guides on how to do it on youtube. You don't need any fancy equipment.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good to hear!

Maybe mine was just a 'glitch'. Hopefully my SIM from last year will still work, or I can buy one at Madrid airport...
Last summer I bought my second Orange SIM card in two years. I was told that Spanish pre-paid SIM cards are valid only for one year after last credit was uploaded and I've missed it for few days.

If you want to buy regular SIM card (make a contract) you had to have a Spanish bank account. Too much fuzz...

Last year walking the CF I ordered a Spanish SIM card before leaving Australia. It arrived fine and was a great during the walk.

This year I decided to do the same. And I used the same website, for ordering 2 SIM cards with express delivery. https://www.simcardspain.es Sadly the experience this year has not been good.

Zero.........

Nothing arrived. I have been sending messages to the company on almost a daily basis with no reply :oops:

Hi Robo, I also ordered from simcardspain.es. I didn't get my card as quickly as I expected and found that they didn't reply to my emails as promptly as they did to my earlier enquiries when looking to purchase. It did eventually arrive though, hope yours does also :)

Hi Robo, I also ordered from simcardspain.es. I didn't get my card as quickly as I expected and found that they didn't reply to my emails as promptly as they did to my earlier enquiries when looking to purchase. It did eventually arrive though, hope yours does also :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed. They are not replying at all though.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Zero.........

One of the reasons (I had others reasons more locally here in Santiago, but one of them) was that I stopped selling SIM cards a while back is that shipping them internationally is a problem. In these days of terror, sim cards in the mail can be looked upon as a "suspicious". My guess is that it was stopped by customs and confiscated. Either Spanish customs or your country's customs. All mail leaving Spain is scanned on its way out + it is scanned on its way in to your country. It could have been stopped on any of those two points.

One of the reasons (I had others reasons more locally here in Santiago, but one of them) was that I stopped selling SIM cards a while back is that shipping them internationally is a problem. In these days of terror, sim cards in the mail can be looked upon as a "suspicious". My guess is that it was stopped by customs and confiscated. Either Spanish customs or your country's customs. All mail leaving Spain is scanned on its way out + it is scanned on its way in to your country. It could have been stopped on any of those two points.

Could be...... Just annoyed that they won't even respond though.....

Hopefully my old one still works :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2010 and 2012, I bought sim cards from simcardsspain.es, and had great results. In 2014, I bought one (Vodafone) and when I put it in my phone at Barajas I was shocked to find that either it was empty of funds, or was 'sucked dry' by something, immediately. Later I was able to find a Vodafone store where they checked my phone (no problem) and then recharged my sim card account.
It is great to have the cell number before you leave home, but I think from now on I'll just get a sim when I arrive in Spain.

Buen Viaje Robo.

Not only does your phone need to be unlocked (as already discussed here) but it needs to have a GSM radio in it since that is what is used in Spain for cell phones. Not all US carriers use GSM, some use CDMA. Some phones have both radio capabilities. So check what your phone has.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Almost all modern smartphones use both, like Iphones, google nexus, samsung galaxy, so chances that this is the case is very slim

[...]It is great to have the cell number before you leave home, but I think from now on I'll just get a sim when I arrive in Spain.[...]
Every year, and if my previous cell number results to be expired (more than 12 months no use), I buy a new card at Madrid airport (at Relay or Orange shops). Sending the new number to family and friends is only an e-mail away.;)

This year I decided to do the same.
I think I recall you go with Orange? Which card do you use? I will need it for few calls/sms (national and international), mostly need data.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's OK if you're going through Madrid, I'm flying to Paris. :)

I'm sure you can pick one up at the Airport in Paris too.

Last year I ordered both French and Spainsih SIMs online. Had them both with me when I arrived.

That's OK if you're going through Madrid, I'm flying to Paris. :)
Then just wait until you come to Pamplona and buy it there. No need to buy France SIM card for a day and a half ;)
You'll do just fine without it.

By June 2017 there will be no more roaming inside EU so you'll have to wait one more year and then you can buy France SIM card with no additional charges to your calls in Spain. Or vice versa :D

Last edited:
Robo, last year in May, Lebara Mobile was giving Sim Cards for free at the airport arrivals in Madrid.
Besides that, mobile phone shops are everywhere in Madrid, Pamplona, Burgos... if you cards do not arrive (I hope they do!), it will not be hard to sort it out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just wait until I arrive in Spain and buy my SIM at Vodafone.
Never had a problem and never paid over €15

But I did order some wool clothes from Australia and thought they'd never arrive.
The problem I've had with international shipping is that they can hold things at the borders, and you have no tracking # so never know when they'll arrive.

I once shipped a blade to Canada, not more than 800 miles away, and it took 6 weeks because it was "held up" in customs.

I imagine your SIM will arrive eventually, but maybe try just buying it in Spain next time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could be...... Just annoyed that they won't even respond though..... Hopefully my old one still works :)
Hi Robo - did the people in Spain provide "mail tracking" numbers for the package?? If so you can contact Australia Post and using that number they will be able to tell you where your package is. If its been "stopped" then maybe you can go to the largest Aust Post mail centre, identify yourself and take delivery. Good luck.

Hi Robo - did the people in Spain provide "mail tracking" numbers for the package?? If so you can contact Australia Post and using that number they will be able to tell you where your package is. If its been "stopped" then maybe you can go to the largest Aust Post mail centre, identify yourself and take delivery. Good luck.

Thanks I'll try that!

Note. Sadly nothing showed up on the Australia Post site. Meaning it has nnot arrived in Australia.......

It's not so much the lack of the SIM cards that I find annoying........it's the total lack of response from the vendor by all means of communication...

Last edited:
Thanks I'll try that!
Just log onto the Aust Post website - it will provide phone numbers - usually a 13 or a 1300 number (so local call price). Even without the tracking number they may be able to provide advice on why articles like sim cards are being "delayed". Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good to hear!

Hi @Robo - I read your post a while back and ordered from them on 26-Feb and they arrived in Canada yesterday (6-April), one day before we board the plane for Spain! Whew, cut that one close!! Keep the faith, hopefully it's on it's way :cool:

Hi @Robo - I read your post a while back and ordered from them on 26-Feb and they arrived in Canada yesterday (6-April), one day before we board the plane for Spain! Whew, cut that one close!! Keep the faith, hopefully it's on it's way :cool:

Great to hear it worked for you ! Buen Camino.

The last thing one wants is to make a recommendation and hear that it was a bad experience. So just glad it happened to me :rolleyes:

After hearing all these horror stories of late arriving SIM cards, I'll never mail order a SIM card, it isn't that hard to get one once you get to Spain, you can even buy one in the Madrid Airport at Crystal Media, an electronics store inside all the terminals. I bought one and made sure it worked before I left the store.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, an unlocked phone. Sorry I have no idea what a 'SIM switch' is :oops:

But if your phone is unlocked, you can use any SIM in it. When travelling I carry a few different SIMs.....

For those who are a bit lost........

The term 'Locked' in relation to a mobile phone, means that the phone is locked onto a specific mobile phone service/carrier/network. It cannot be used with a SIM from another carrier.

So for example, if you have a phone in Australia that is locked to the Telstra network, you would need to contact Telstra and have them 'unlock' the phone. (This can be done by calling them) If they are willing to do so.

Some phone contracts may require your phone to be 'locked' to a specific network/carrier for 12 or 24 months.

With the phone 'unlocked' you can use any SIM you like. An obvious advantage when travelling. Using your 'home' SIM card when overseas will usually result in massive phone and data charges
! (Like hundreds or even thousands of dollars.......)
I have read so many posts regarding sim cards, I think I'm more confused than ever. You seem to have experience using them, and could probably offer some advice. My Camino is this September. I have an un locked, Nexus 6 phone. Don't need a lot of call time, just for emergency, but would like a little data to let my family know I'm OK. I'm in the u.s. my question to you is do you buy your sim card there or can I pie order from a u.s. based company? I found one web site whose one sim cards works in multiple countries. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have read so many posts regarding sim cards, I think I'm more confused than ever. You seem to have experience using them, and could probably offer some advice. My Camino is this September. I have an un locked, Nexus 6 phone. Don't need a lot of call time, just for emergency, but would like a little data to let my family know I'm OK. I'm in the u.s. my question to you is do you buy your sim card there or can I pie order from a u.s. based company? I found one web site whose one sim cards works in multiple countries. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Wait till you get to Spain, just stop by a phone store and buy a prepaid Spanish SIM, for less than €20 you can buy a prepaid SIM card with 1.5GB of data and 60min of international calls.
Vodafone tourist SIM is a great deal for €15 and automatically renews the next month provided you add another €15 credit, and Lebara has great rates for data if you are a heavy user, and calling back to the US.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

http://www.lebara.es/?isoCode=en_GB

If all you need is to email your family, then you don't need a SIM card or data plan.
You can simply use the free wifi which is all along the Camino to email them.

Wait till you get to Spain, just stop by a phone store and buy a prepaid Spanish SIM, for less than €20 you can buy a prepaid SIM card with 1.5GB of data and 60min of international calls.
Vodafone tourist SIM is a great deal for €15 and automatically renews the next month provided you add another €15 credit, and Lebara has great rates for data if you are a heavy user, and calling back to the US.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

http://www.lebara.es/?isoCode=en_GB
Thanks for the info. That's a lot cheaper than the one I was going to order from here. Do you know of they expire?

You have time to switch to project fi (Google service - uses t mobile and Sprint towers). It costs $10 per GB and what you don't use gets credited back each month. You can use it in 120 countries. I used it in Spain on the Camino Frances last year without problems. I tried to use wifi where it existed but read online anywhere even if it did not. My bill per month was never more than $40 (and i did make local calls ) and here in the USA it it always just barely above $20 because wifi is more available to me here. Switch back to your own provider when you return to the USA if T-Mobile and Sprint towers don't cover well where you live. Just another way of handling the simcard problem. I travel a bit and this plan has worked well for me in South/Central America as well.

You have time to switch to project fi (Google service - uses t mobile and Sprint towers). It costs $10 per GB and what you don't use gets credited back each month. You can use it in 120 countries. I used it in Spain on the Camino Frances last year without problems. I tried to use wifi where it existed but read online anywhere even if it did not. My bill per month was never more than $40 (and i did make local calls ) and here in the USA it it always just barely above $20 because wifi is more available to me here. Switch back to your own provider when you return to the USA if T-Mobile and Sprint towers don't cover well where you live. Just another way of handling the simcard problem. I travel a bit and this plan has worked well for me in South/Central America as well.

This looks like a great service. So I tried to sign up.

It's only for use by accounts based in the US :(

This looks like a great service. So I tried to sign up.

It's only for use by accounts based in the US :(
Yes, sorry, I did not think to mention that. It only works for people that have compatible phones because the phone has to be able to switch between different radio systems smoothly (CDMA and GSM), Nexus 6 s is one of them. It is also not a cheap service if you use many gbs a month or have a family plan with several people that do. It happens to work out for me extremely well.

Like many have said, it is very easy to stop at any Mobile store in Spain and purchase a sim card. On my last trip I needed a mini sim(?) and they only had regular size. The store owner cut the sim card down to mini size. I was a bit skepticle, but it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the info. That's a lot cheaper than the one I was going to order from here. Do you know of they expire?

They do expire if they are inactive for a certain amount of time, some are 6 months, 9 months, or a year, it depends on the carrier, I gave away my Orange SIM card to a future pilgrim that was headed to Spain after I got back, it had about €20 credit left on it.

Mine took quite a while to arrive but did come. I also had my emails dealt with promply and successfully. I'm satisfied so far but having said that I haven't tried to use it yet. I'm not anticipating any problems though. Good luck and I hope it arrives soon.

Maybe I'm not technically updated, but so far I've had an easy ride in Spain for many years as far as comunications are concerned. A SIMple card, to be had at Madrid (or any) airport (10 Euros) for my 'handy, which is museum ripe, covered local call necessities. If you need to "top up", you can do this in many shops along the path. My iPod touch and iPad Air (I just happen to posess these two) connected everywhere with WiFi. Thus I could mail anywhere and Skype anyone. Free of charge.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Zero.........

That would be, then: www.simscard pain.es

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.